Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2020 NBA Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: 2020 NBA Draft Page: <<   < prev  17 18 19 [20] 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2020 NBA Draft - 11/18/2020 9:30:55 PM   
David Levine

LEANDRO BOLMARO HIGHLIGHTS 2019-2020 SEASON BARCELONA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNZxJVUa3f0
Post #: 476
RE: 2020 NBA Draft - 11/18/2020 9:43:30 PM   
David Levine

You got him Joel!

Jaden McDaniels
6'10", 200 lbs
Washington

Pre-Draft Analysis

Strengths
- Interesting blend of size, length and agility at 6-foot-10 with an 8-11 standing reach. Can play above the rim in space with relative ease.
- Holds considerable defensive upside given his agility and size. Has shown the ability to sit down and slide with wings.Finished the year averaging 1.0 steals and 1.6 blocks per 40 minutes. Improved motor.
- Versatile offensive attack with his ability to make a standstill 3, handle in the open floor and create for others on occasion. Although he made only 34% of his 3s at Washington, he has sound touch and solid mechanics. Can rise into 3s and mid-range pull-ups. Good footwork overall. Has touch on floaters. Changes speeds and directions with the ball. Shows glimpses of feel as a playmaker.

Improvement areas
- Body hasn't improved much. Narrow shoulders, rail-thin legs. How much weight can he put onto his frame? Struggles to play through contact.Can he defend more physical forwards?
- Tends to fade in and out of games. Led the Pac-12 in turnovers and fouls. Erratic with his decision making.
- What gets him on an NBA floor early in his career? Not the most consistent shooter. Has his wow moments but still finding his elite skill. Scouts see him as more of a long-term prospect.

Projected role:Two-way forward
Post #: 477
RE: 2020 NBA Draft - 11/18/2020 9:44:48 PM   
McMurfy

I’ll take it.
Big upside

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 478
RE: 2020 NBA Draft - 11/18/2020 9:44:58 PM   
David Levine

The Ringer:

Hyped-up prospect who underwhelmed as a freshman but retains appeal with his size, shooting ability, and defensive versatility.

SHADES OF: Rashard Lewis, Andrew Wiggins, Nemanja Bjelica

PLUSES
Excellent ball handler for his size with nifty side-to-side moves that help him get into pull-up jumpers out of the pick-and-roll. He has deep range, and is also comfortable launching from midrange.
Good spot-up shooter with smooth mechanics. He’s shown the ability to hit 3s off handoffs, though that might not be part of his NBA role.
Potentially a versatile defender thanks to his blend of length and quickness. He’s proved to be an effective weak-side shot blocker, and fared well in college on switches against speedy guards.

MINUSES
Poor finisher who struggles at dislodging defenders on his drives and at handling contact in the paint. With such a thin frame, he may never be able to pack on weight to be more effective.
Defenses can comfortably switch smaller players on him; he isn’t strong enough to exploit them with drives or post-ups.
Lacks playmaking skills. Coaches will be frustrated by his bad decisions; it seems like every quarter he hurls his body into a crowd rather than looks for a simple kick-out pass.
So skinny that beefier opponents will overpower him on defense. He’s incredibly foul-prone.
Post #: 479
RE: 2020 NBA Draft - 11/18/2020 9:46:04 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

I’ll take it.
Big upside

I'd rather have Bey, but I can't argue with an upside pick.
Post #: 480
RE: 2020 NBA Draft - 11/18/2020 9:52:01 PM   
David Levine

Karl should like the McDaniels pick:

per Jay Bilas, Jaden McDaniels had 6 technical fouls last season - that’s a lot for college standards.
Post #: 481
RE: 2020 NBA Draft - 11/18/2020 9:53:27 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Karl should like the McDaniels pick:

per Jay Bilas, Jaden McDaniels had 6 technical fouls last season - that’s a lot for college standards.

Pfft. Couldn’t even get double digits.

C’mon man
Post #: 482
RE: 2020 NBA Draft - 11/18/2020 9:57:19 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Technicals aside though, being foul prone is bothersome. Nothing more maddening than picking up dumb meaningless fouls and hitting the bench.

I don’t think he’ll get enough minutes to worry about it for a while though.

C’mon man
Post #: 483
RE: 2020 NBA Draft - 11/18/2020 10:12:44 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Oturu picked by wolves...but it’s going to Knicks.

C’mon man
Post #: 484
RE: 2020 NBA Draft - 11/18/2020 10:55:19 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

The Ringer:

Impeccable playmaking skills and instincts give him a foundation for success, but his jumper will determine his upside.

SHADES OF: Joe Ingles, Evan Turner

PLUSES
He can make every pass in the book using either hand. He sees passing lanes that few others can, and makes the reads so quickly that it’s as if he’s two steps ahead.
Slick ball handler who gets where he wants on the floor with his change-of-pace moves and tempo despite a lack of elite athleticism.
Good touch on floaters, runners, and layups, which bodes well long term for his subpar jump shot.
Intelligent off-ball player who cuts and relocates like a veteran.
High-effort defender who beats opponents to spots and does a great job of fighting over screens.
Alert team defender who rotates well, digs down in the post, and provides overall cohesion.

MINUSES
He needs to improve his off-hand to compensate for the fact that he’s a below-the-rim finisher who struggles against length.
Without a reliable jumper, most of his strengths are moot. He shot 28 percent from 3 and 66 percent from the line in three professional seasons overseas. There are some quirks in his jumper, especially in his wrist, that need to be ironed out.
Less effective as a shot creator when defended by smaller players who get underneath him; he’ll need to make advancements to survive.

quote:

Leandro Bolmaro
6'7", 182 lbs. Argentina

Pre-Draft Analysis

Strengths
- Good size at 6-foot-7 for someone who can play point guard.
- Creative ball handler who plays at different speeds and shows excellent passing ability off a live dribble. Manipulates defenses with pace, skill and feel. Uses floaters and touch shots to finish creatively around the basket.
- Plays with energy defensively. Attentive and aware both on and off the ball. Quick feet sliding and containing in small spaces. Gets into passing lanes.

Improvement areas
- Lacks a degree of strength and explosiveness athletically. Can't always beat better defenders from a standstill. Has struggled to put the ball in the basket at times against higher-level competition.
- Career 30% 3-point shooter on more than 300 attempts and a 68% free throw shooter. Just how good of a shooter can he become? Low, clunky release limits him at times against better defenders.
- Hasn't been seen nearly as much as other international players in this draft. Played only 388 minutes this season, rotating between Barcelona's first and second teams.

Projected role: Big two-way playmaker

He sounds like Lamelo Ball with better Defense.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 485
RE: 2020 NBA Draft - 11/18/2020 11:07:32 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

Knicks sent him to Clippers.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 486
RE: 2020 NBA Draft - 11/19/2020 9:15:53 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

These trades are so convoluted. Why can’t the NBA just announce them at the podium?

C’mon man
Post #: 487
RE: 2020 NBA Draft - 11/19/2020 9:21:45 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

These trades are so convoluted. Why can’t the NBA just announce them at the podium?

Agreed. It's so damn stupid that teams can't even talk about the players that they acquired. This crap where players don the cap of the team that officially drafts them and then have to come back out and swap hats with another draftee is just idiotic.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 488
RE: 2020 NBA Draft - 11/19/2020 9:57:38 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agreed. It's so damn stupid that teams can't even talk about the players that they acquired. This crap where players don the cap of the team that officially drafts them and then have to come back out and swap hats with another draftee is just idiotic.

NBA is usually so adept at PR, but this is one area where they are really dropping the ball. Like the Wolves 17 pick. Everyone in the world knew he wasn’t coming here. But they have to secretively go through the motions of the pick and keep everyone in the dark, instead of having the immediate fanfare from the team he’ll eventually be going to.

C’mon man
Post #: 489
RE: 2020 NBA Draft - 11/19/2020 10:03:23 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

NBA is usually so adept at PR, but this is one area where they are really dropping the ball. Like the Wolves 17 pick. Everyone in the world knew he wasn’t coming here. But they have to secretively go through the motions of the pick and keep everyone in the dark, instead of having the immediate fanfare from the team he’ll eventually be going to.

The Wolves drafted and or acquired four players last night, but in the post draft news conferences Rosas is only allowed to talk about Edwards.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 490
RE: 2020 NBA Draft - 11/19/2020 10:59:27 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

In some cases the trades can't be made official at draft time.

Like the Rubio trade technically can't happen until tomorrow when James Johnson accepts his player option for the 2020-21 season.

So technically, the trade could still fall through.
Post #: 491
RE: 2020 NBA Draft - 11/19/2020 10:59:41 AM   
David Levine

Rubio was 15th in the NBA in Player Impact Plus Minus in 2019-20.

He shot 36.1% from 3 and over 40% on catch and shoot 3s.
Post #: 492
RE: 2020 NBA Draft - 11/19/2020 11:03:36 AM   
David Levine

Mike Schmitz From July 1st:

SVP: If I’m asking you, Schmitz stakes his rep on this guy in this draft, gimme a guy.

Schmitz: Leandro Bolmaro.

Full answer at 3:16 of the video:

https://twitter.com/ProspectsARG/status/1278377349143244800?
Post #: 493
RE: 2020 NBA Draft - 11/19/2020 11:17:00 AM   
shakeywalton

quote:

Mike Schmitz From July 1st:

SVP: If I’m asking you, Schmitz stakes his rep on this guy in this draft, gimme a guy.

Schmitz: Leandro Bolmaro.

Full answer at 3:16 of the video:

https://twitter.com/ProspectsARG/status/1278377349143244800?

Thanks DL, he looks like an interesting player.
Post #: 494
RE: 2020 NBA Draft - 11/19/2020 12:21:38 PM   
David Levine

A good read:

Behind the Scenes of the Timberwolves’ Decision to Draft Anthony Edwards

https://www.theringer.com/2020/11/19/21575235/nba-draft-anthony-edwards-minnesota-timberwolves
Post #: 495
RE: 2020 NBA Draft - 11/19/2020 1:04:38 PM   
paulgly

I lurk at Canis quite a bit - I find a lot of their posters very helpful in understanding what actually wins basketball games. Unlike a lot of years, there seem to be opinions all over the place from the 'smart' posters. My take - don't mind the Edwards pick. Preferred Ball, but not a disaster if there wasn't a trade out there. Love getting Rubio back, which also helped with disappointment over not taking Ball. Edwards had some personal tragedies (lost his mom and grandma) and is really young. Also played with teammates who were less than optimal. I think one poster used that to help distinguish between his college numbers vs. Wiggins. I'm ok with the other picks I guess, though not exactly thrilled. I kinda wish they would have drafted a more immediately helpful guy at #28 (like Tyler Bey) but I guess going for upside at that pick can make sense too.

Bottom line - OK draft. I've certainly disliked others a lot more than this (including last year - never really been a Culver fan and it was scary they wanted to trade up for Garland).
Post #: 496
RE: 2020 NBA Draft - 11/19/2020 3:27:35 PM   
Hats4Bats

Who will we look to trade or release?

James Johnson gone right?

I suspect the following:

1) Jarrett Culver - best return? doesn't fit?
2) Jacob Evans/Omari Spellman - this package has been mentioned a lot
3) Josh Okogie- energy is great, but I don't see a fit
4) Malik Beasley- expendable, restricted, and law problems
5) Jarred Vanderbilt- know nothing about him, DL help here?
6) Evan Turner - is he still here
7) Kelan Martin - shooter I guess

Seems like we are EXTREMELY light at power forward and small forward. We have like half the guards in the LEAGUE. Need to balance this out!

I like Jordan Mclaughlin and Jaylen Nowell, and, of course, Naz! AND LOVE Ricky!

Wish we would have looked a Xavier Tillman. Love his work ethic! Or a move back up to get Saddiq Bey.

Draft grade: B-

Hats for Bats - - Keep Bats warm
Post #: 497
RE: 2020 NBA Draft - 11/19/2020 3:30:58 PM   
David Levine

Vincent Goodwill@VinceGoodwill

The Minnesota Timberwolves have made guard Malik Beasley available in discussions, and the New York Knicks are one of several interested teams, according to sources. He averaged 20 after being traded from Denver to Minnesota last season
Post #: 498
RE: 2020 NBA Draft - 11/19/2020 3:31:41 PM   
David Levine

The Rubio trade can now be completed:

Shams Charania@ShamsCharania
Timberwolves forward James Johnson has opted into his $16M deal for 2020-21 season, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium
Post #: 499
RE: 2020 NBA Draft - 11/19/2020 3:40:43 PM   
Karl Juhnke

From: https://www.startribune.com/timberwolves-draft-anthony-edwards-with-first-pick-trade-to-bring-back-ricky-rubio/573122671/

quote:

Edwards recently met with Rosas and coach Ryan Saunders, and he compared the process to college recruiting in which the Wolves laid out just how he would fit in with their team and what his career trajectory could be with them.

“The energy they bring, it made me feel like I was headed to be the best player that ever played basketball,” Edwards said. “But it made me feel like I was doing something right, you know? Because I get criticized a lot. It made me feel like I was doing something right, and it made me just want to work even harder.”

Rosas said before they met with Edwards around three to four weeks ago, “everyone was still on the table.” But Rosas was equally as enamored of Edwards, and the meeting helped solidify Edwards as the pick at No. 1.

Some positive reinforcement. Might go a long way. No that doesn't mean coddling. But hopefully Rosas is creating a nurturing environment for these young guys. I think Rubio is being brought back specifically for that reason.

C’mon man
Post #: 500
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 19 [20] 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: 2020 NBA Draft Page: <<   < prev  17 18 19 [20] 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode