Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 9/17/2020 9:20:45 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer
How is Bjugstad's speed?

His reputation is somebody who skates really well, especially for someone 6'6".

He is great on face offs and has really good puck possession numbers, including the all important zone entry stats.

Here is a scouting report from when the Pens first got him:

Bjugstad has put up incredible puck possession numbers in his career (especially in transition and in one-on-one situations due to his ability to turn on the jets and use his long reach), dabbling in the 77th percentile in controlled zone entries and the 85th percentile in controlled zone exits. He also boasts a lot of potential inside the attacking zone and will likely create even more offense with more talented players around him than in Florida, especially when it comes to shot contributions. His wrist shot is powerful, but he often just hits opposing goalies in the logo rather than picking good spots. It’s likely the Bjugstad has underachieved in Florida, but that a change of scenery could really do him good, as we’ll note later on.

“Bjugstad has pretty good wheels for a big guy,” Litterbox Cats editor Todd Little wrote in an email to us. “And a nasty wrist shot, good at possessing the puck with his big body and long reach. Unfortunately that hard wrist shot ends up in the goalies sweater too often, and while being a pretty big guy, he isn’t nearly as physical as one would like.”

Todd thought Bjugstad, “might be a guy who needs a change of scenery and a more defined role. Personally, I think he makes a better winger, as I think center might be a stretch for him (unless surrounded by high quality linemates). I don’t believe he’s a great passer and might not think the game at a high enough speed.”

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 226
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 9/17/2020 9:26:02 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

So Russo was throwing out some Dumba rumors as well as mentioning Parise, Dubes, Greenway, Kunin, and Donato are untouchable.

Jets, Canucks, Toronto, and TB are hot after Dumba. Jets are willing to trade Roslovic, Ehlers, and Laine to improve. Russo threw out Sean Monahan from Calgary too.

Also Russo says Mikko won't be re-signed.

Also Russo mentioned a couple possible buyouts that would actually be reasonable (Dubes and Rask) but Rask is a good backup option at Center according to Russo.

I'm not a fan of buy outs anymore. They only save the team a fraction of the yearly contract number and that number gets carried out over twice as many remaining years. If you're going to eat the money anyway, just release the guy and have his full salary drop off the books at the end of the year.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 227
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 9/17/2020 9:31:31 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

How is Bjugstad's speed?

His reputation is somebody who skates really well, especially for someone 6'6".

He is great on face offs and has really good puck possession numbers, including the all important zone entry stats.

Here is a scouting report from when the Pens first got him:

Bjugstad has put up incredible puck possession numbers in his career (especially in transition and in one-on-one situations due to his ability to turn on the jets and use his long reach), dabbling in the 77th percentile in controlled zone entries and the 85th percentile in controlled zone exits. He also boasts a lot of potential inside the attacking zone and will likely create even more offense with more talented players around him than in Florida, especially when it comes to shot contributions. His wrist shot is powerful, but he often just hits opposing goalies in the logo rather than picking good spots. It’s likely the Bjugstad has underachieved in Florida, but that a change of scenery could really do him good, as we’ll note later on.

“Bjugstad has pretty good wheels for a big guy,” Litterbox Cats editor Todd Little wrote in an email to us. “And a nasty wrist shot, good at possessing the puck with his big body and long reach. Unfortunately that hard wrist shot ends up in the goalies sweater too often, and while being a pretty big guy, he isn’t nearly as physical as one would like.”

Todd thought Bjugstad, “might be a guy who needs a change of scenery and a more defined role. Personally, I think he makes a better winger, as I think center might be a stretch for him (unless surrounded by high quality linemates). I don’t believe he’s a great passer and might not think the game at a high enough speed.”

That's a pretty awesome synopsis
One of my favorite Gophers of all time, but his game was dominant at that level
The pros have highlighted his lack of quick-twitch speed, his biggest downfall
As much as his size helps him, it hinders his overall play in that regard, imo.
He's basically Staal, with less grit in the drawers

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 228
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 9/17/2020 9:32:08 AM   
SoMnFan

That statement about Dubnyk being untouchable drives me insane

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 229
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 9/17/2020 9:33:40 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

That statement about Dubnyk being untouchable drives me insane

quote:

RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft
  Logged in as: Phil Riewer
Users viewing this topic: Phil Riewer, TJSweens
  Subscribe Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]

Sorry...it is a typo....Aren't Untouchable.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 9/17/2020 9:35:01 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 230
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 9/17/2020 9:34:36 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

So Russo was throwing out some Dumba rumors as well as mentioning Parise, Dubes, Greenway, Kunin, and Donato aren't untouchable.

Jets, Canucks, Toronto, and TB are hot after Dumba. Jets are willing to trade Roslovic, Ehlers, and Laine to improve. Russo threw out Sean Monahan from Calgary too.

Also Russo mentioned a couple possible buyouts that would actually be reasonable (Dubes and Rask) but Rask is a good backup option at Center according to Russo.

I'm not a fan of buy outs anymore. They only save the team a fraction of the yearly contract number and that number gets carried out over twice as many remaining years. If you're going to eat the money anyway, just release the guy and have his full salary drop off the books at the end of the year.

Little change

Post #: 231
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 9/17/2020 9:35:35 AM   
TJSweens

Yeah, Bjuger is kind of soft for a big man. You watch him skate around in warm ups and you would almost swear you were watching Bobby Smith. Drop the puck and it's ... oh, never mind.

In fairness, injuries have really hindered him over the years. He is a pretty decent hockey player, but he is never going to be a cornerstone player.

Post #: 232
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 9/17/2020 9:36:51 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

So Russo was throwing out some Dumba rumors as well as mentioning Parise, Dubes, Greenway, Kunin, and Donato aren't untouchable.

Little change

I just remember carrying Mark Parish's buyout number on the books long after I could ever remember Mark Parish playing for the Wild.

Post #: 233
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 9/17/2020 9:37:56 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

Yeah, Bjuger is kind of soft for a big man. You watch him skate around in warm ups and you would almost swear you were watching Bobby Smith. Drop the puck and it's ... oh, never mind.

In fairness, injuries have really hindered him over the years. He is a pretty decent hockey player, but he is never going to be a cornerstone player.

That's what I keep telling people who keep asking what the hell this is about

IF he's healthy, we got us a player
IS he?

Don't know.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 234
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 9/17/2020 9:38:53 AM   
SoMnFan

Thanks Phil

I feel better

Dammit, now you know what sets me off.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 235
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 9/17/2020 9:42:21 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

Thanks Phil

I feel better

Right, until now, we had no idea that Dubnyk pisses you off.

Post #: 236
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 9/17/2020 9:49:53 AM   
Phil Riewer

Bjugstad led the Gopher teams....I would get Haula back and start a line right there. Haula and Bjugstad rub rhubbarb where ever they go (even their own teams)...we need some of that.

Post #: 237
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 9/17/2020 9:50:16 AM   
TJSweens

The NOT untouchable list has a couple of surprises for me. Obviously Guerin would like to move Zach, as he almost did it at the deadline last year. He feelings about Dubnyk are pretty obvious as well.

I was surprised to see Kunin and Greenway listed with them. Not that I consider them untouchable, but the fact that Russo lists them kind of indicates that Guerin would willingly move them. You generally don't see top prospects who are 22 and 23 on the block that willingly.

Kind of makes me think that a guy with Guerin's pedigree looked at those two and decided they aren't going to be anything special.

Post #: 238
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 9/17/2020 9:52:29 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

The NOT untouchable list has a couple of surprises for me. Obviously Guerin would like to move Zach, as he almost did it at the deadline last year. He feelings about Dubnyk are pretty obvious as well.

I was surprised to see Kunin and Greenway listed with them. Not that I consider them untouchable, but the fact that Russo lists them kind of indicates that Guerin would willingly move them. You generally don't see top prospects who are 22 and 23 on the block that willingly.

Kind of makes me think that a guy with Guerin's pedigree looked at those two and decided they aren't going to be anything special.

TBH I saw more from Sturm in his short stint than Greenway and Kunin but Greenway has so much potential as does Dumba. Someone out there has to drool over them. Kunin looked really good before ACL but if we get a #1 from those three you pull the trigger.

Post #: 239
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 9/17/2020 10:02:51 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

Thanks Phil

I feel better

Right, until now, we had no idea that Dubnyk pisses you off.

That was one I never had to about-face on.
That sob pissed me off from Day One
Not the guy, but the fact that we named him as our #1 savior
A career back up for everyone else
Tells you how f-ed up we were and might still be

People might look at a Crawford and a Dubnyk (for example) and go … not much difference
They do, I know they do.
That could not be further from the truth
Starters and back-ups are clear cut
We haven't had a legit NHL starter for a LONG time.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 240
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 9/17/2020 10:07:31 AM   
TJSweens

Sarah McLellan's story in the strib today indicates that Sturm is one of the guys who will be fighting to be one of the regular centers.

It looks to me like Guerin is emphasizing speed.

Post #: 241
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 9/17/2020 10:09:15 AM   
SoMnFan

Somewhere, Jeff Jesser is smiling …..

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 242
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 9/17/2020 11:20:37 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

What's realistic at this point for the Wild for goalie? Go with the tandem and hope they run hot streaks?

Who is a "realistic" starter they could trade for to help? is there one that is realistic?

Escape while you can!
Post #: 243
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 9/17/2020 11:35:28 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

You know it may man. No Mikko, might get rid of Duby's and Zach too??
Post #: 244
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 9/17/2020 11:59:07 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

You know it may man. No Mikko, might get rid of Duby's and Zach too??

And speed brother …. speed !

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 245
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 9/17/2020 12:00:31 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

What's realistic at this point for the Wild for goalie? Go with the tandem and hope they run hot streaks?

Who is a "realistic" starter they could trade for to help? is there one that is realistic?

I'll be killed for this one

There's a guy in Vegas ……
Yes, he's old
But he could be a 1-2 year guy who gives us a legit goalie every game

He's currently pissed at them and is no longer their #1
He would be here

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 246
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 9/17/2020 12:55:18 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

I'll be killed for this one

There's a guy in Vegas ……
Yes, he's old
But he could be a 1-2 year guy who gives us a legit goalie every game

He's currently pissed at them and is no longer their #1
He would be here

I'd rather just throw Kaapo Kähkönen to the wolves and let him develop. Next year is about developing young pieces and setting themselves up with a ton of cap space to make moves.

Play Kähkönen and draft Askarov. They will be set in goal for 10 years.

Post #: 247
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 9/17/2020 12:58:59 PM   
SoMnFan

That might work, too.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 248
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 9/17/2020 1:13:53 PM   
Jeff Jesser

What is it with us and Buffalo btw???
Post #: 249
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 9/17/2020 2:06:41 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

What is it with us and Buffalo btw???

We never seem to win a trade with them or the Penguins even when it seems we do.

Post #: 250
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode