Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 7:09:01 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hats4Bats

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

in the FA/unwanted goalie watch …

Murray off the table, traded to the Sens from the Pens
Dubnyk from the Wild to the Sharks, joining Martin
Still floating …
Fleury, Rask, King Lundquist, Holtby, Markstrom

Hmmmm......Top 10 Overall goalies from EA sports on twitter....Discuss ( I know source is EA sports ???

Rask #3
Markstrom # 8
Holtby#9

https://twitter.com/EASPORTSNHL/status/1312784749845454853

I would be fine with any of those three....whatever you do don't trade with Vegas unless they give us a ton.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 426
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 7:33:58 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nate

I don't usually post on the hockey thread, which is odd since I grew up playing and love the sport, but I'm happy to read all your comments in here and share all the ups and downs with this team that you do.

To put things in perspective, I was a North Star fan growing up, was destroyed when they moved, and couldn't ever really get into them again even though I continued to like all the players for a while after (of all places they relocated to, they went to freaking Dallas, are you kidding me!!!). My family moved to Colorado while growing up, where I still live to this day. I know the Avalanche are not popular on this forum to say the least, but they were instrumental for bringing back the passion I have for hockey, to once again identify with a local team. Once MN returned to the NHL with the Wild though it was clear I was going to be returning to my roots. While I still like the Avs, I'll be crying green tears when the Wild lift the cup, that's for sure.

I hope this rebuild goes well and keeps us competitive while the young-ins ramp up. Guerin has some shrewdness about him and seems to know what he wants, time will tell if it's successful. I do like that he's a former player and has some actual people skills, unlike Fenton... I love that we traded late picks for early picks in the draft BTW, quality over quantity. Speils could learn a thing or two about that type of strategy.

I'm very excited about Kaprizov and think we stole Fiala in the trade (man is he good). I think we're going to really like Rossi too, he's been a special player at every level he's been at, and his work ethic is off the charts. We're getting younger and faster, and may have some firepower to go with Fiala. We need a goaltender badly though. Until we get a stud back there we're not going to far in the playoffs. Maybe we can rejuv Fluery or Rask next year before our guy ascends.

On a side note, I'm super pissed at how the expansion rules changed, allowing VK to be contenders from day 1. I suppose Seattle will be the same way, and we'll have another loaded team to contend with in the very near future.

Great post
You fit right in brother.
All great topics that it looks like we agree eye-to-eye on.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 427
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 8:21:19 AM   
TJSweens

Nate, please continue to post. The more perspective in here, the better.

I went through the exact same thing you did when the North Stars left. I couldn't even watch hockey for years. It was devastating to watch the Star hoist the cup in Dallas, the city for which I have sworn eternal hatred.

It took me a few years to warm up to the Wild. Now I am a full fledged fan again as I bitch about them as much as our other local teams.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 428
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 8:55:50 AM   
TJSweens

Things I liked about the Wild's 2020 draft

1. Judd Brackett being the director of amateur scouting and running the draft. This is the guy who rebuilt Vancouver with great draft picks like Elias Petterson, Brock Boeser, Quin Hughes, Jack Rathbone, Tyler Madden, Nils Hoglander and Aidan Mcdonagh. After Brackett had a falling out with the Canucks GM, Guerin pounced and hired him.

2. WE MOVED UP!!! The 2020 NHL draft was billed as being historically good. The Wild started out with their pick in each round, except for the 3rd round. By the time they were done dealing the Wild wound up with 4 picks in the top 65, including 2 second round picks. Then they parted with picks in the 6th and 7th rounds to move up to the 5th round. They ran their draft the way that I wish the Vikings would run their draft. sacrifice later picks to get an extra pick where the better players are. Rick Spielman would give up a 7th round pick when you could pry one out of his cold dead fingers.

3. They clearly had specific players targeted in each round and took steps to get them. None of us knows anything about Daemon Hunt. What I know is that he was projected to go higher before his injury last year and Brackett liked what he saw enough to move from 70 to 65 to assure getting him. Right now, based on his track record, that's good enough for me. Same with Novak. The Wild were at the stage in the draft where a lot of teams sit back and look to add value picks in the last 2 rounds. Brackett wanted Novak and moved up to get him.

LOVE IT!

4. Rossi falling to #9. I had been pouring through all the evaluations and mocks from every draft site I could find. I wanted to figure out who would realistically be available when the Wild picked. I figured the Wild would be choosing among Jake Sanderson, Askarov and Lundell. Rossi was outside the realm of possibility as he was almost universally projected to be gone in the top 5. A few teams made major reach picks to push Rossi and Perfetti to the Wild's pick. The great thing is that there is half a chance that Rossi could play this year. He was considered to be one of the most NHL ready players and now we are hearing that during the covid shutdown, Rossi has been on a work out routine that would make Jose Berrios jealous. The kid was already strong as a bull despite his size and now he is bigger and stronger than he was last season.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 429
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 8:57:17 AM   
SoMnFan

Pretty fun couple of days for the Wild
I've been burnt by almost all of Mn management teams
By getting too high on them, but Shooter is giving me some real hope for better days so far.
I've always liked how Leiopold gives his guys plenty of rope
Can't complain there. This will be fun to see how important yesterday really was. We will now in a year or two.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 430
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 9:22:41 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

By getting too high on them, but Shooter is giving me some real hope for better days so far.
Can't complain there. This will be fun to see how important yesterday really was. We will now in a year or two.

What I like about Leo is that he is a true hockey junkie and desperately wants a Stanley Cup. He hired Guerin who is just, flat out, a winner. He had a successful 18 year career including 2 cups. He was never THE player, but try winning a cup without players like him.

In his time here, he made a great hire in Brackett and has shown that isn't afraid to aggressively shed dead weight. He knows sentimentality is not part of the equation for winning.

Post #: 431
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 10:50:09 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

What I like about Leo is that he is a true hockey junkie and desperately wants a Stanley Cup. He hired Guerin who is just, flat out, a winner. He had a successful 18 year career including 2 cups. He was never THE player, but try winning a cup without players like him.

In his time here, he made a great hire in Brackett and has shown that isn't afraid to aggressively shed dead weight. He knows sentimentality is not part of the equation for winning.

+1
Souhan and KFAN don't like Guerin and Fenton but both (GM) saw what is needed. I really like that they acquired a pair of winners in Buggy and Bonino.....I wouldn't mind the other Buggy too if Dumba gets traded.....seems like if we find that goaltender we still might contend this year.

Post #: 432
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 10:57:57 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

+1
Souhan and KFAN don't like Guerin and Fenton but both (GM) saw what is needed. I really like that they acquired a pair of winners in Buggy and Bonino.....I wouldn't mind the other Buggy too if Dumba gets traded.....seems like if we find that goaltender we still might contend this year.

I think that's what I see too
Guerin isn't in "lets get bad and rebuild mode"
His moves are at least giving us a chance to still win through the rebuild.
I'm always on board with that. (even tho I get it, sometimes you have to bottom out)
Then again, some bottom out and never eventually top out.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 433
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 11:15:18 AM   
TJSweens

Guerin is basically identifying who is not part of the solution and moving them. It's been obvious for a long time that he doesn't view guys like Kunin and NTG as part of the solution. Mikko and Staal may have been part of a solution 10 years ago, but not now.

Guerin also identified team speed as a big part of the equation and has shed slower players and added and drafted faster players.

It seems like Bill has an idea of what he wants the team to be from a schematic level. Fletcher and Fenton seemed more along the lines of cobbling a lineup together.

I like where this is going. I just hope my optimism is rewarded.

Post #: 434
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 11:17:03 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

+1

I think that's what I see too
Guerin isn't in "lets get bad and rebuild mode"
His moves are at least giving us a chance to still win through the rebuild.
I'm always on board with that. (even tho I get it, sometimes you have to bottom out)
Then again, some bottom out and never eventually top out.

It just seems that Guerin didn't seem on the short end of the stick of any trade or have to include money....refreshing.

Post #: 435
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 11:23:03 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Nate, please continue to post. The more perspective in here, the better.

I went through the exact same thing you did when the North Stars left. I couldn't even watch hockey for years. It was devastating to watch the Star hoist the cup in Dallas, the city for which I have sworn eternal hatred.

It took me a few years to warm up to the Wild. Now I am a full fledged fan again as I bitch about them as much as our other local teams.

Full agreement on the bolded part. I was skating at the North Stars hockey facility which Norm opened up during the North Stars away playoff game. Some idiot/POS fans did some vandalism or theft that night pissing off Norm a lot. That probably contributed to his decision to sell. I'm not excusing Norm GREED, but that could have started the wheels of sale turning.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 436
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 11:33:41 AM   
David Levine

quote:

2. WE MOVED UP!!! The 2020 NHL draft was billed as being historically good. The Wild started out with their pick in each round, except for the 3rd round. By the time they were done dealing the Wild wound up with 4 picks in the top 65, including 2 second round picks. Then they parted with picks in the 6th and 7th rounds to move up to the 5th round. They ran their draft the way that I wish the Vikings would run their draft. sacrifice later picks to get an extra pick where the better players are. Rick Spielman would give up a 7th round pick when you could pry one out of his cold dead fingers.

I don't get why Spielman doesn't understand this. In sports, quality always beats quantity. If you need to draft 12 guys to find 3-4 good ones, you need to reexamine your scouting.

I also think part of it is ego. The first few times he did it, he got a lot of publicity for his ability to "manipulate the draft". Basically he made the draft more about him than the players he picked. Now he can't help buy keep doing it every damn year.
Post #: 437
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 12:15:03 PM   
Hats4Bats

quote:

Things I liked about the Wild's 2020 draft

1. Judd Brackett being the director of amateur scouting and running the draft. This is the guy who rebuilt Vancouver with great draft picks like Elias Petterson, Brock Boeser, Quin Hughes, Jack Rathbone, Tyler Madden, Nils Hoglander and Aidan Mcdonagh. After Brackett had a falling out with the Canucks GM, Guerin pounced and hired him.

3. They clearly had specific players targeted in each round and took steps to get them. None of us knows anything about Daemon Hunt. What I know is that he was projected to go higher before his injury last year and Brackett liked what he saw enough to move from 70 to 65 to assure getting him. Right now, based on his track record, that's good enough for me. Same with Novak. The Wild were at the stage in the draft where a lot of teams sit back and look to add value picks in the last 2 rounds. Brackett wanted Novak and moved up to get him.

LOVE IT!

4. Rossi falling to #9. I had been pouring through all the evaluations and mocks from every draft site I could find. I wanted to figure out who would realistically be available when the Wild picked. I figured the Wild would be choosing among Jake Sanderson, Askarov and Lundell. Rossi was outside the realm of possibility as he was almost universally projected to be gone in the top 5. A few teams made major reach picks to push Rossi and Perfetti to the Wild's pick. The great thing is that there is half a chance that Rossi could play this year. He was considered to be one of the most NHL ready players and now we are hearing that during the covid shutdown, Rossi has been on a work out routine that would make Jose Berrios jealous. The kid was already strong as a bull despite his size and now he is bigger and stronger than he was last season.

Love this Sweens..great write up and for the 1st time since the glorious NorthStars (best LOGO ever) days, I feel great about Minnesota hockey. Welcome to the 2020's Wild!

Hats for Bats - - Keep Bats warm
Post #: 438
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 12:36:10 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine
If you need to draft 12 guys to find 3-4 good ones, you need to reexamine your scouting.

Well said.

Post #: 439
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 12:52:04 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hats4Bats

quote:

in the FA/unwanted goalie watch …

Murray off the table, traded to the Sens from the Pens
Dubnyk from the Wild to the Sharks, joining Martin
Still floating …
Fleury, Rask, King Lundquist, Holtby, Markstrom

Hmmmm......Top 10 Overall goalies from EA sports on twitter....Discuss ( I know source is EA sports ???

Rask #3
Markstrom # 8
Holtby#9

https://twitter.com/EASPORTSNHL/status/1312784749845454853

I would be fine with any of those three....whatever you do don't trade with Vegas unless they give us a ton.

No way on Rask for me. He's got the talent but his head isn't it. Don't waste the money.
Post #: 440
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 1:00:01 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

I don't get why Spielman doesn't understand this. In sports, quality always beats quantity. If you need to draft 12 guys to find 3-4 good ones, you need to reexamine your scouting.

I also think part of it is ego. The first few times he did it, he got a lot of publicity for his ability to "manipulate the draft". Basically he made the draft more about him than the players he picked. Now he can't help buy keep doing it every damn year.

https://www.startribune.com/wild-gm-bill-guerin-runs-his-first-draft-like-the-anti-rick-spielman/572675912/

Wild GM Bill Guerin runs his first draft like the anti-Rick Spielman
Bill Guerin is a general manager cut from the same mold as Vikings GM Rick Spielman in that he likes to wheel-and-deal on draft day. But the similarity ends there.

Owing to two separate but strange circumstances, Bill Guerin had been in his job as Wild GM for more than 13 months but had yet to oversee a draft until this week:

He took over in August 2019 after Paul Fenton was unexpectedly fired late in the offseason after overseeing the June draft; and this year’s draft was pushed back to October because of the disruption caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

One draft is a slim body of work, but the initial impression is this: Guerin is a GM cut from the same mold as Vikings GM Rick Spielman in that he likes to wheel-and-deal on draft day. But at least in his first draft, Guerin proved to be the anti-Spielman in his approach to pick trading.

Guerin made three trades, and all three involved moving up into higher draft positions: Dealing Luke Kunin and the No. 101 pick for Nick Bonino, the No. 37 and No. 70 picks; turning around and swapping the No. 70 pick and No. 132 for No. 65; and dealing a couple of late picks (163 and 194) for No. 146.

In running the Vikings’ drafts for the past dozen years — and in particular the last several since he was promoted to general manager in 2012 — Spielman has generally done the opposite. In the 2020 draft, he amassed a record 15 picks, often by trading down to stockpile them (including dealing the No. 25 overall pick for No. 31 and two other lower picks and swapping No. 105 overall for four lower picks.

Spielman has earned his reputation for making trades — often in that direction. Over The Cap analyzed drafts from 2011 to 2019 (starting with the implementation of the rookie wage scale) and found that Spielman made a whopping 33 trades in those nine drafts. Of those trades, 24 of them involved trades down while just nine were moves up.

Which approach is more successful? Guess it depends on who you ask — and who you draft.

The Vikings have hit on some late round gems and have been in the playoffs three of the last five years. In that Over The Cap analysis of NFL drafts, Bill Belichick was another decisionmaker who was found to trade down the overwhelming majority of the time (22 down, 9 up) during that span. The Patriots have done OK for themselves.

On the flip side, the Saints’ Mickey Loomis has made 10 trades in that time period — all of them up. Those premium picks have helped them to a 37-11 record over the past three seasons.

Spielman generally gets better overall value than he gives up, as illustrated by his performance in several value charts amassed by Daily Norseman from the 2020 draft.

If we look at one commonly used NHL draft pick value chart, Guerin lost value in his two true pick swaps (the trade involving Kunin and Bonino is harder to gauge).

So the answer to my own Twitter question, “Bill Guerin and Rick Spielman are each given a dollar’s worth of random coins. Who ends up with the most money after they are done trading it back and forth to each other?” is probably different than a lot of your humorous replies.

Bill ends up with two dollars; Rick has an empty gum wrapper and 20 cents off coupon at Jersey Mike's

Spielman would take his dollar coin and turn it into a quarter and 46 pennies.

I think Spielman probably winds up with the most money, executing enough swaps where he gives up a quarter and gets three dimes in return.

But in real life — and in the draft — those dimes aren’t worth as much if you can’t spend them all in the same place. (Or maybe think of it this way: Would you rather have $100 to spend at one restaurant or $35 to spend at three different restaurants? You know, assuming it’s safe to eat at any of those places).

Spielman is betting on volume to unearth good classes. Guerin is betting on his ability (and that of Judd Brackett, head of amateur scouting) to identify players they really want and to execute trades guaranteed to land those players, even if it means fewer chances to make picks.

That’s how you have one GM wind up with 15 picks and another with just five, even though both drafts are seven rounds.

Which one was most successful? Let’s meet back here in 2023 to sort out the answer.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 441
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 1:00:36 PM   
Mr. Ed

Who are these late round gems referred to in this story? No one of significance of recent memory

Escape while you can!
Post #: 442
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 1:05:33 PM   
SoMnFan

GEMS.
Gems, I tell ya …..

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 443
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 1:07:00 PM   
TJSweens

Well ... I guess there is ... Bisi?

Post #: 444
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 1:08:12 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Well ... I guess there is ... Bisi?

Sure...

Wouldn't see the field for most teams.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 445
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 1:11:34 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

The Vikings have hit on some late round gems and have been in the playoffs three of the last five years. In that Over The Cap analysis of NFL drafts, Bill Belichick was another decisionmaker who was found to trade down the overwhelming majority of the time (22 down, 9 up) during that span. The Patriots have done OK for themselves.

On the flip side, the Saints’ Mickey Loomis has made 10 trades in that time period — all of them up. Those premium picks have helped them to a 37-11 record over the past three seasons.

Odenigbo

Boyd

One potential gem.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 446
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 1:13:28 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Who are these late round gems referred to in this story? No one of significance of recent memory

The only real standout I can think of is Odenigbo.
Post #: 447
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 1:26:52 PM   
SoMnFan

Whoa …. Corey Crawford, UFA
Never thought I'd see him in anything but a Blackhawk joisey

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 448
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 1:34:34 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Whoa …. Corey Crawford, UFA
Never thought I'd see him in anything but a Blackhawk joisey

He would work.

Post #: 449
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 3:23:02 PM   
SoMnFan

What each NHL team should do in Free Agency

Minnesota Wild
Key players hitting UFA: F Alex Galchenyuk, F Mikko Koivu, F JT Brown
Key players hitting RFA: F Jordan Greenway, G Kaapo Kahkonen
Cap space: $8,467,246

What they should do: GM Bill Guerin is starting to put his stamp on this roster. That includes making some tough decisions, such as telling 37-year-old captain Mikko Koivu that it is time to move on and parting with Eric Staal. The first-time GM has been super active on the trade market in recent weeks, acquiring Marcus Johansson (who has one year remaining on his contract) from Buffalo, Nick Bjugstad (also one year left on his deal) from Pittsburgh and Nick Bonino (you guessed it: one year remaining on his deal) from Nashville. Guerin also sent Ryan Donato and long-time No. 1 goaltender Devan Dubnyk to San Jose. Minnesota has been weighed down by mediocre goaltending the past few years; the Wild want to give Kaapo Kahkonen (the AHL goaltender of the year) a chance, but they should bring in a goalie from the crowded marketplace to compete with Kahkonen and Alex Stalock. Guerin has been listening to offers for Matt Dumba, but I think the defenseman should stay; it doesn't sound like the Wild have been wowed by any offers, either. Minnesota's biggest need is center depth.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode