Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 3:24:47 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Whoa …. Corey Crawford, UFA
Never thought I'd see him in anything but a Blackhawk joisey

Bowman is in job saving mode at this time. He thinks if he dumps a lot of vets and replaces them with young guys, it will buy him a few more seasons. There's going to be a couple of big surprises coming down the next couple three weeks. I think one of the big three will be gone.
Post #: 451
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/8/2020 6:15:02 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Thanks for all of the insight guys. I've been reading everything. Sorry I don't have anything to offer. The State of Hockey deserves a winner. I hope that you all get rewarded for your passion for the game soon.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 452
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/9/2020 7:48:52 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

2. WE MOVED UP!!! The 2020 NHL draft was billed as being historically good. The Wild started out with their pick in each round, except for the 3rd round. By the time they were done dealing the Wild wound up with 4 picks in the top 65, including 2 second round picks. Then they parted with picks in the 6th and 7th rounds to move up to the 5th round. They ran their draft the way that I wish the Vikings would run their draft. sacrifice later picks to get an extra pick where the better players are. Rick Spielman would give up a 7th round pick when you could pry one out of his cold dead fingers.

I don't get why Spielman doesn't understand this. In sports, quality always beats quantity. If you need to draft 12 guys to find 3-4 good ones, you need to reexamine your scouting.

I also think part of it is ego. The first few times he did it, he got a lot of publicity for his ability to "manipulate the draft". Basically he made the draft more about him than the players he picked. Now he can't help buy keep doing it every damn year.

I make that argument every year. Quality over quantity.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 453
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/9/2020 8:02:09 AM   
stfrank

I haven't chimed in lately, but I have to say I am very pleased to see Guerin making the changes that have been a long time brewing.
It looks like we are building something for the long haul, but also should have a chance to compete now.
I am actually excited to see how this team looks this upcoming season, unlike the previous few seasons. It seems like they have been the same team for about a decade and it was time to move on.
Now we just need a goalie and maybe even find a way to move the "energizer bunny" and his huge contract and we are good to go.
Post #: 454
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/9/2020 8:05:04 AM   
bstinger

We really need a competitive or at least entertaining hockey team this year, going to be a long winter I think.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 455
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/9/2020 9:32:42 AM   
Jeff Jesser

IMO he's not even trying to be competitive this year. He's gathering pieces to give us a tremendous amount of cap space for next year. Unless these guys surprise, don't get use to their name/number. They gone after this one.
Post #: 456
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/9/2020 9:41:14 AM   
TJSweens

The only way I see this team being competitive is if Fiala continues to grow his game and Kaprizov has an immediate impact. This year is all about developing some key young players into major roles.

Jeff is right. Guerin has positioned it so that a butt load of money comes off the cap at the end of the year. I have no doubt he is continuing to take offers for Dumbo and will likely move him at the deadline.

After the season, Guerin will have a ton of cap room and an extra first round pick in what supposed to be another good draft class.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 457
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/9/2020 11:00:08 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Yup. And, quite honestly, i'm cool with the approach.
Post #: 458
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/9/2020 11:03:56 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Yup. And, quite honestly, i'm cool with the approach.

Absolutely Jeff. I also believe Guerin has not given up on unloading Zach. The idea is to build a team that can go all the way. Not one that is just happy to be there.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 459
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/9/2020 11:05:37 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Me too but I don't think anyone is dumb enough to take on his contract. I hope I'm wrong.
Post #: 460
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/9/2020 11:06:42 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

Me too but I don't think anyone is dumb enough to take on his contract. I hope I'm wrong.

Don't forget he almost pulled it off at the deadline last year.

Post #: 461
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/9/2020 12:25:51 PM   
twinsfan

Ladies and gentlemen, we got him!

Cam Talbot

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 462
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/9/2020 12:36:10 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Cam Talbot

He's pretty good. His save percentage was around .920 last season.
Post #: 463
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/9/2020 12:51:31 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Cam Talbot

He's pretty good. His save percentage was around .920 last season.

3 year 11 million

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2020/10/09/wild-signs-goaltender-cam-talbot/

Talbot is a 33-year-old goaltender who has played nine seasons in the NHL with the New York Rangers, Edmonton Oilers, Philadelphia Flyers and Calgary Flames. Over his career, Talbot has played in 324 games, won 155 of them, posted 24 shutouts and has a career 2.60 goals-against-average and .916 save percentage.

Last season in Calgary, Talbot split regular season games with David Rittich, but became the team’s starter in the playoffs. In 26 regular season games, Talbot won 12 and had a .919 save percentage, which was 13th in the league. In 10 playoff games, Talbot had a .924 save percentage.

Talbot had an unusual pathway to the NHL. He was never drafted and played college hockey with the University of Huntsville-Alabama. The school that only has him and Jared Ross (13 career NHL games) as their NHL alumni. In his third season, Talbot had a .925 save percentage and led his school to their second-ever NCAA tournament berth. At the end of the season he signed with the Rangers. Three-years later he was a full-time NHL goalie.

What this Means for the Future
The Wild are getting a reliable goalie in Talbot. He’s not a star, but he can be their starting goalie, or be in a tandem pairing and give them a quality start. Talbot is at his best when he faces many shots that he is reasonably expected to stop. Among the top-40 goalies in ice-time over the past three seasons, Talbot has the sixth-worst high-danger save percentage. He’s a goalie than can win a game his team is expected to win, but he won’t be counted on to steal many of them.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 464
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/9/2020 1:30:29 PM   
David Levine

ESPN:
"It absolutely makes sense for the Wild to upgrade their goaltending. While Guerin is transitioning the roster to put his stamp on it, goaltending is an obvious area for improvement. With an unprecedented number of qualified goaltenders available, why not pounce now?

Guerin explored the trade route but realized free agency was his best bet. The three-year term isn’t terrible for a 33-year-old without a ton of wear-and-tear. (Talbot only has 300 career starts after not getting a fulltime job until the 2015-16 season, when he was 28). The Wild didn’t have a ton of cap space to play with and still have to re-sign RFA forward Jordan Greenway.

Grade: B+. Talbot sometimes gets the reputation as a streaky goalie, but he really only had one bad season in his career (2018-19, when he had a .892 save percentage). But the important thing is, he bounced back from it. The Wild could have found a cheaper option, but Talbot unquestionably gives them a better net tandem than they had last season."
Post #: 465
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/9/2020 1:49:35 PM   
Hats4Bats

Nice to have a tough goalie for a change!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmmVD_YrK-Y

Hats for Bats - - Keep Bats warm
Post #: 466
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/9/2020 2:43:33 PM   
TJSweens

I approve. Upgrades goal tending in the short term and transitions us to Kappo for the long term.

Post #: 467
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/9/2020 2:50:29 PM   
David Levine

4/4/3 contract. No trade restrictions.
Post #: 468
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/9/2020 2:51:28 PM   
David Levine

Russo:

For the first time since Jan. 2015, the Wild have a new goalie from the outside expected to take over the No. 1 reins.

After researching the trade route for some time, general manager Bill Guerin on Friday dipped his toes in free agency and signed former Calgary Flames goalie Cam Talbot to a three-year, $11 million deal. That’s a $3.67 million cap hit.

The 6-foot-4 Talbot, 33, has been streaky in his career but has really had one bad year in his career and one stupendous one.

In 2016-17 for the Edmonton Oilers, Talbot, undrafted and a former product of University of Alabama-Huntsville, led the NHL with 73 starts, 42 wins and had a 2.39 goals-against average and .919 save percentage. He finished fourth in Vezina Trophy voting.

“Big goalie with a good skill set,” former Wild goalie and current TSN analyst Jamie McLennan told The Athletic. “If you look at his outlier year where he stunk in Edmonton, he’s been a good goalie. He’s a good leader. He is good in the room. He’s in great shape. He’s liked by his teammates.

“Has a good butterfly, good glove hand, really good crease management, will get in trouble sometimes with rebounds. He will give up a bad goal sometimes and he struggles with recovering in a game. Has a bit of a tough time putting it behind him. But I think he has a chance to be real good for Minny.”

After that terrible 2018-19 with the Oilers that McLennan alluded to in which Talbot went 10-15-3 with a 3.36 goals-against average and .893 save percentage and was ultimately dealt to the Flyers, Talbot signed a one-year deal in Calgary and got back to the Talbot that he has been in the past.

He went 12-10-1 with a 2.63 goals-against average and .919 save percentage in the regular season and 5-4 in the playoffs with a 2.42 goals-against average and .924 save percentage on a quality defensive team.

If you remove the 2018-19 season from Talbot’s resume, he has a .918 save percentage in 279 career games.

That’s probably what Guerin is banking on.

In 314 career games with the New York Rangers, Oilers, Flyers and Flames, Talbot is 150-122-25 with a 2.61 goals-against average, .915 save percentage and 22 shutouts.

And as Wild fans know, goalies typically excel in Minnesota and should have the past few years.

As of now, their top-six defensemen remain intact and last season, according to Evolving-hockey.com, the Wild ranked first in the NHL with 2.39 expected goals against per hour. However, Devan Dubnyk, traded Monday to San Jose, ranked last in the NHL at minus-27.5 goals saved above expected. That’s a metric that is the difference between the amount of expected goals a goaltender faces and the amount of actual goals they surrender.

According to The Athletic’s Dom Luszczyszyn, Talbot had a minus-0.3 goals saved above expected in 2019-20.

According to Naturalstattrick.com, the Wild gave up the fewest high-danger shots in the NHL at 8.6 against per 60 minutes. This is why former goalie Marty Biron said on TSN that coming to Minnesota is a “home run” for Talbot.

But the Wild combined for the third-worst save percentage (.897) in the NHL and for goaltenders who played more than 29 games, Dubnyk ranked 46th with an .890 overall save percentage, 45th with an .899 even-strength save percentage and 38th with an .844 save percentage against opposing power plays.

Talbot will likely be tagged up with Alex Stalock, who had 20 wins last season, with Kaapo Kahkonen starting in Iowa with Hunter Jones.

The Wild will only be able to protect one goalie in next year’s expansion draft between Kahkonen, Talbot and Stalock. Jones will be exempt.

Guerin had been pursuing Marc-Andre Fleury in a trade with the Vegas Golden Knights. But Fleury, who ranks fifth all-time in regular-season victories, has a $7 million cap hit the next two years. It’s believed Fleury had Minnesota listed on his modified no-trade clause but would have considered lifting it if a trade had been worked out. But Vegas needed a third party to first take Fleury, retain some money and then dish him to Minnesota. As of now, the Golden Knights haven’t found that team, and Guerin couldn’t afford to wait as teams begin to sign free agents.

The Wild now have $4.8 million in cap space before re-signing restricted free agent Jordan Greenway. They’re expected to be done signing NHL players via free agency Friday.

The Wild also signed forward Joseph Cramarossa and defenseman Dakota Mermis to two-way contracts to provide depth and play in Iowa.

Cramarossa, 27, pretty much a minor-league lifer, plays center and left wing. Guerin knows him from his time in Pittsburgh; Cramarossa spent parts of the past three seasons with the Penguins’ farm club in Wilkes-Barre.

He has 59 games of NHL experience with the Anaheim Ducks and Vancouver Canucks. He has played 336 AHL games in seven seasons for five teams. He has scored 37 goals, 84 points and has amassed 511 penalty minutes in the AHL.

Mermis, 26, who played 19 games at University of Denver before heading to the London Knights of the OHL, has 13 goals, 87 points and 250 penalty minutes in 304 AHL games for three teams over five seasons. He has played 20 NHL games with the Arizona Coyotes and New Jersey Devils.
Post #: 469
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/9/2020 2:53:28 PM   
David Levine

Comment from the Russo piece:

For comparison...
Goalie #1: GAA 3.36, SP .893
Goalie #2: GAA 3.35, SP .890

Goalie #1 is Talbot’s outlier garbage season behind what I assume was a very bad defensive team. Goalie #2 is Dubnyk last year. It’s safe to assume that even if Talbot plays as poorly as he did in his worst pro season, he will be an upgrade over Dubnyk.
Post #: 470
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/9/2020 2:59:45 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I approve. Upgrades goal tending in the short term and transitions us to Kappo for the long term.

Yup, it looks like a good move. At the very least it appears his worst season's numbers are similar to what Duby put up last season, so unless he falls off the map we should be good.
Post #: 471
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/9/2020 4:27:55 PM   
Jeff Jesser

It's not a 'bad' move but if that's the type of guy you are going with, just resign Stalock. Most likely would have been cheaper.
Post #: 472
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/9/2020 4:37:59 PM   
joejitsu

Two years ago, we had Crawford AND Lehner. Now, we have Subban. You guys should be happy with Talbot.
Post #: 473
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/9/2020 6:27:00 PM   
stfrank

quote:

It's not a 'bad' move but if that's the type of guy you are going with, just resign Stalock. Most likely would have been cheaper.

We still have Stalock and I suspect they will both get plenty of playing time and hopefully Kappo will get some starts with the big club too.
Post #: 474
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/9/2020 6:30:10 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Ah yeah. For some reason I thought he was a FA. So it's a straight Dubnyk replacement. With that I'm totally fine with.
Post #: 475
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode