Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/10/2020 1:08:43 AM   
Nate

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

2. WE MOVED UP!!! The 2020 NHL draft was billed as being historically good. The Wild started out with their pick in each round, except for the 3rd round. By the time they were done dealing the Wild wound up with 4 picks in the top 65, including 2 second round picks. Then they parted with picks in the 6th and 7th rounds to move up to the 5th round. They ran their draft the way that I wish the Vikings would run their draft. sacrifice later picks to get an extra pick where the better players are. Rick Spielman would give up a 7th round pick when you could pry one out of his cold dead fingers.

I don't get why Spielman doesn't understand this. In sports, quality always beats quantity. If you need to draft 12 guys to find 3-4 good ones, you need to reexamine your scouting.

I also think part of it is ego. The first few times he did it, he got a lot of publicity for his ability to "manipulate the draft". Basically he made the draft more about him than the players he picked. Now he can't help buy keep doing it every damn year.

this is exactly how I see it as well. If we have to draft 12 to hopefully land 2-3 then our scouting is atrocious and that's what we need to fix. I'd rather have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds then 12 picks, most of which in the last 4. Diamonds can happen but aren't the norm. That's like playing for a blocked FG to win.
Post #: 476
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/12/2020 11:31:27 AM   
SoMnFan

Ahem

Vet goalie for a year of transition.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 477
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/12/2020 12:30:54 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan
Ahem

That's how I see it too. I would categorize Cam Talbot as also not the guy, but a lot closer to the guy than NTG and Stalock. I expect Talbot to start the year as #1, but I also expect that Kappo will be the goalie protected in the expansion draft after the season.

Unfortunately, this also probably means a hard decision will have to be made with Stalock this year.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 478
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/12/2020 1:50:33 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

Ahem

That's how I see it too. I would categorize Cam Talbot as also not the guy, but a lot closer to the guy than NTG and Stalock. I expect Talbot to start the year as #1, but I also expect that Kappo will be the goalie protected in the expansion draft after the season.

Unfortunately, this also probably means a hard decision will have to be made with Stalock this year.

Isn't kappo going to arbitration?

Thought I saw the headline, followed by the hand wringing about money and losing him.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 479
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/12/2020 1:57:20 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

Ahem

Isn't kappo going to arbitration?

Thought I saw the headline, followed by the hand wringing about money and losing him.

Kappo filed for arbitration, but that doesn't affect anything. Most likely they will settle before the hearing.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 480
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/12/2020 3:06:38 PM   
TJSweens

And, just like that, it's resolved. The Wild and Kaapo Kahkonen agreed to a 2 year deal. It's a two way contract in year 1 and a one way deal in year 2.

Post #: 481
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/12/2020 3:36:08 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

And, just like that, it's resolved. The Wild and Kaapo Kahkonen agreed to a 2 year deal. It's a two way contract in year 1 and a one way deal in year 2.

Guess the Strib hand-wringing was for naught. Do their reporters not like this GM?

OMG Koivu signed with Columbus. Whoop-de-doo

Like he was so sacred in the Wild lore.

Feh

< Message edited by Mr. Ed -- 10/12/2020 3:37:21 PM >

Escape while you can!
Post #: 482
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/13/2020 8:32:01 AM   
Lynn G.

Koivu played here for 16 years! Is his signing not newsworthy enough for the market that had him for that long?

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 483
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/13/2020 8:36:04 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Koivu played here for 16 years! Is his signing not newsworthy enough for the market that had him for that long?

Yeah but I think Ed is talking about the article about the good guys (Mikko, Dubes, Staal, Zucker, 2 pals Donato/Kunin, etc.) all being gone. Apparently the good guys can't win playoff hockey games.....bring back Haula.

Lots of media darlings now gone....they will have to find new ones.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/13/2020 8:37:21 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 484
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/13/2020 8:36:08 AM   
TJSweens

Not really. Most of us were long past ready for him to move on.

Post #: 485
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/13/2020 8:54:49 AM   
SoMnFan

Been too busy chuckling about it
Torts won't go for his long periods of nothing
It won't go well there, imo

Mikko was a warrior here for awhile, but in typical MN fashion we overplayed it into some legendary thing that really wasn't exactly true.
He was Bob Allison, Bill Brown, Jim Perry.
Thanks for the hard work man. See ya.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 486
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/13/2020 9:43:06 AM   
SoMnFan

Heres my biggest Koivu problem

ZERO Cups

His fault?
Nope

Hell .…. ZERO deep playoff runs
His fault?
Nah, well, he was the "captain" all those years, and ….
Hmmm

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 487
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/13/2020 10:01:53 AM   
Jeff Jesser

He's his brothers clone. Was captain of a hockey crazed town who loved/worshiped him because he was supposed to win them a cup. Never did but somehow they loved him for it. Great community guy who never had a blemish. They loved him. Super hard working character guy, they loved him. He never won shit, they love him.
Post #: 488
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/13/2020 1:22:06 PM   
SoMnFan

Pieterangelo to the Knights, who made room by sending Nate Schmidt to the Canucks (for a 3rd rounder! )
Damn, I wish we had gone after Schmidt.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 489
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/13/2020 1:32:11 PM   
SoMnFan

Cam Talbot, Minnesota Wild
In a market flooded with goalies, the Wild identified Talbot as their target and signed him to a three-year, $11 million contract. They looked at data that went beyond the statistics the 33-year-old posted with the Flames last season. "A lot of it gets deeper than just the goals against or save percentage and things like that, things that are better explained by Mat Sells than me," Wild general manager Bill Guerin said, citing Sells, who is Minnesota's director of hockey analytics. "There's a significant amount of other data that we use that helps us make decisions, and we just feel like with what Cam did last year, if he does that or better, we'll have some success."

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 490
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/13/2020 1:42:11 PM   
TJSweens

I'm curious as to how active Guerin will be in the trade market before the season. I think he still really wants to move Dumbo. I would not be surprised if he packaged Dumbo and Greenway for a center.

Post #: 491
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/13/2020 1:53:58 PM   
SoMnFan

I think you mean Du …..

oh. Nevermind

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 492
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/13/2020 2:08:35 PM   
TJSweens

I'm also curious to see how things play out with Rossi. He's old enough that he missed being in the 2019 draft by 8 days. The NHL season isn't likely to start until January. That's a lot of time for the kid to mature.

From what the reports say, Rossi has a killer workout routine. Rossi claims to have added size and strength and been doing specific workouts geared to improving his skating. It looks like the kid is already physically mature and strong enough for the NHL game.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/marco-rossi-got-bigger-stronger-faster-shocked/

If they sign him to an entry level deal, during camp, you can almost guarantee that he will here at some point during the season. They aren't going to bother signing him if they expect him to spend the year in juniors.

Post #: 493
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/13/2020 9:13:01 PM   
SoMnFan

Very cool to watch the first home game in Wild history on FSN tonight.
Good memories.
The boys played hard

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 494
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/14/2020 9:12:32 AM   
SoMnFan

Fascinating to hear the guests, and the comments on that first night of the return of the NHL to Minnesota
"be patient, Cups will happen, but not right away"
"this sell-out for the opener is nice, but don't expect that every night"
"this Gaborik kid will be the cornerstone of this organization for a long long time"

Half the players on the ice that night are currently TV analysts

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 495
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/14/2020 9:49:59 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Was cool that Darby got the first. I remember channeling my inner Major League though. "Who are these @@@@@ guys?".
Post #: 496
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/14/2020 10:41:13 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

I'm curious as to how active Guerin will be in the trade market before the season. I think he still really wants to move Dumbo. I would not be surprised if he packaged Dumbo and Greenway for a center.

That would make us the lily white team of Calvin Griffith's dreams. Rural MN would love it too.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 497
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/14/2020 10:44:39 AM   
SoMnFan

The great thing about hockey to me is, I actually had to think for awhile about what you were insinuating there
It didn't even dawn on me that we were discussing two players of color, until you highlighted it.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 498
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/14/2020 11:03:55 AM   
Hats4Bats

quote:

The great thing about hockey to me is, I actually had to think for awhile about what you were insinuating there
It didn't even dawn on me that we were discussing two players of color, until you highlighted it.

Same thought SoMN.........
unfortunately in this day and age "someone" always has to go there. SAD! Sports and racism one in the same; right Matt?

Hats for Bats - - Keep Bats warm
Post #: 499
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 10/14/2020 11:10:32 AM   
SoMnFan

I know Matts not that way
Was truly happy, and made me very proud of the sport, that I had to dissect the point

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 500
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode