Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft Page: <<   < prev  20 21 22 [23] 24   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 12/8/2020 2:35:56 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Damn, I just got compared to Les Steckle.

Post #: 551
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 12/9/2020 3:15:42 PM   
Phil Riewer

Pierre LeBrun
@PierreVLeBrun
Not finalized yet, and still subject to change, but the 2020-21 four-division re-alignment currently looks like this according to sources:

Bos-Buf-NJ-NYI-NYR-Pha-Pgh-Was

Car-CBJ-Det-Chi-Fla-Min-Nas-TB

Ana-Ari-Col-Dal-LA-SJ-STL-VGK

All-Canadian teams

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 552
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 12/10/2020 8:50:34 AM   
TJSweens

Good article on last year's #1, Matt Boldy

Matt Boldy, Wild's top pick in 2019, emerges as Boston College standout

Matt Boldy, taken 12th overall in 2019 draft, could be a key member of the U.S. team in World Juniors.

By Sarah McLellan Star Tribune DECEMBER 10, 2020 — 6:16AM

Life as a big-time prospect didn't exactly get off to a smooth start for Matt Boldy.

After the Wild drafted him 12th overall during the first round in 2019, Boldy's collegiate debut was underwhelming and the Massachusetts native wasn't invited to compete for the Americans at the IIHF World Junior Championship.

"USA Hockey made the decision, and I respect it," Boldy said. "But obviously some disappointment there."

But a year later, Boldy looks like a lock for the U.S. roster, which will be announced Sunday before the team departs for the World Juniors bubble in Edmonton where the action begins later this month.

He's poised to enter the tournament with a high profile after a tremendous kickoff to his sophomore season at Boston College.

"Just the confidence I have this year, it's a little bit more than last year and [I'm] more comfortable in the position," Boldy said earlier this week on a video call from the U.S. camp in Plymouth, Mich. "I think you can translate [that] to the tournament, definitely, and see what happens and hope for the best."

Before he presumably joins the U.S.'s pretournament camp, Boldy was on a roll in the NCAA.

He was among the top producers in the country with three goals and five assists through four games. After chipping in two goals and two assists last weekend to help Boston College improve to 4-0, the 19-year-old winger was named Hockey East's co-player of the week — this after also receiving player of the week honors the previous week.

Already, his goal output has eclipsed what he accomplished in the first few months of his freshman season when he scored just two goals in his first 25 games. But Boldy was able to close out his inaugural campaign on the upswing.

His 23 points the last 2½ months of last season ranked third nationally among freshmen, and Boldy tallied seven goals and eight assists in his final nine games before college hockey was shut down by the coronavirus pandemic.

"I'm more confident in my game, in myself," the 6-2, 194-pound Boldy explained, "and I'm able to go out there and play a little bit more freely."

Boldy attributes that swell of confidence to the training he did during the longer-than-normal offseason during which he concentrated on playing faster.

A skill like that can no doubt accelerate his development at Boston College but also spur him to make a splash in a short tournament like the World Juniors, where Boldy could face off against a handful of other Wild prospects such as Marco Rossi (Austria), Adam Beckman (Canada) and Marat Khusnutdinov (Russia).

The action begins with preliminary rounds on Christmas Day.

"Being able to process the game a little bit faster, I think that's something I worked on this summer," Boldy said. "Just the quicker you can do things at the highest pace, the easier it's going to be when you get to the games. [I] did that a lot this summer. It's really helped."

And while this progress has brightened the spotlight on Boldy, capturing a gold medal with Team USA would make the World Juniors experience a success regardless of how he performed individually — an opportunity to represent his country that he previously missed out on.

"It kind of lit a fire under me," Boldy said about not being on the team last year, "and forced me to keep pushing and finding ways to be better, which I think obviously worked out well. Hopefully, I can make it this year and see what I can do."

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 553
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 12/10/2020 4:39:27 PM   
kgdabom

Hockey season is starting January 13th. I'm more excited for this Wild season than for any one previously. I believe things are falling into place for a successful Wild season.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 554
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 12/10/2020 9:58:55 PM   
Mr. Ed

Michael Russo
@RussoHockey

DO NOT KILL THE MESSENGER, but I’m being told by multiple league and team sources, as of now, #mnwild have been told they’re back in the new “Pacific/West.”

Wild are fine wherever they are.

Not certain how that shakes up everybody else, and obviously things keep changing.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 555
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 12/11/2020 7:39:32 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Michael Russo
@RussoHockey

DO NOT KILL THE MESSENGER, but I’m being told by multiple league and team sources, as of now, #mnwild have been told they’re back in the new “Pacific/West.”

Not certain how that shakes up everybody else, and obviously things keep changing.

Interesting

All these old goats in here can't stay up past 8pm, they ought to keep that in mind
Me? I want every game starting at 9pm. Or later.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 556
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 12/11/2020 7:42:47 AM   
SoMnFan

If y'all did not read Russo's story in The Athletic about Mark Parrish, please do so.
Hits home so hard. So hard.
His life was saved from alcoholism by Brian Lawton and Ben Clymer.
Two guys who take a lot of heat in this area, but who are two outstanding HUMAN BEINGS.
Great story by Russo for these turbulent times.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 557
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 12/11/2020 8:17:06 AM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

If y'all did not read Russo's story in The Athletic about Mark Parrish, please do so.
Two guys who take a lot of heat in this area, but who are two outstanding HUMAN BEINGS.

Thanks for the reminder....
I started reading it last night, but didn't have time to finish due to an A and A zoom thingy...go figure.
Post #: 558
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 12/11/2020 8:44:13 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Michael Russo
@RussoHockey

Interesting

All these old goats in here can't stay up past 8pm, they ought to keep that in mind
Me? I want every game starting at 9pm. Or later.

Not all of us get to sleep at work.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 559
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 12/11/2020 9:24:12 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

Great podcast:

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/462-the-power-trip-after-party-29953124/episode/ladies-gentlemen-mark-parrish--75010445/?cmp=android_share&sc=android_social_share&pr=false

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 560
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 12/13/2020 4:06:10 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

Michael Russo
@RussoHockey

I think it matters more to the fans and the networks that will be broadcasting the games.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 561
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 12/15/2020 9:45:34 AM   
SoMnFan

Dammit!

Just our luck ....
Marco Rossi gonna need back surgery

(after carrying Austria around during the World Juniors)

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 562
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 12/15/2020 10:12:15 AM   
TJSweens

I don't know. His back looks pretty damn strong to me.

https://twitter.com/Michael79607679/status/1105045788600750080?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1105502663712669703%7Ctwgr%5Eshare_3&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.silversevensens.com%2F2020%2F6%2F1%2F21276461%2F2020-nhl-draft-profile-marco-rossi-ottawa-senators-nhl-ohl

Post #: 563
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 12/16/2020 1:44:22 PM   
TJSweens

Wild left off top 25 players under 25 list again; will that change soon?

At least Kevin Fiala was an honorable mention selection on this year's list from ESPN.

Even a completely subjective list — or lists, in this case — can reinforce an unpleasant truth.

ESPN, for the last several years, has released before the start of the season a list of the top 25 NHL players under the age of 25.

You will find a lot of superstars on the list, and some players whose ascent turned into a decline. You will not, however, find a player from the Minnesota Wild.

In 2015. Or 2016. Or 2017 (SB Nation list, since I couldn't find the ESPN list and perhaps they didn't do one). Or 2018. Or 2019. Or 2020.

Yes, I went back and looked at all of them, prompted by the release of this year's list and the possibility that one might find 24-year-old Kevin Fiala in the mix. He did at least crack the honorable mentions. But not the top 25.

No, to find a Wild player on the list you have to go all the way back to 2014-15 and defenseman Jonas Brodin (then just 21, and cracking the list at No. 23).

The Wild made the playoffs in a lot of those seasons and had some good young players. But their lack of an emerging young star says about as much about the last half-decade of Wild hockey as anything else.

It also speaks to why fans might have a twinge of excitement for this upcoming season — whenever it might start, and whomever Minnesota might play — that has been missing in past years.

There is Fiala, their best pure goal scorer since ... well, I don't know if I'm ready to say Marian Gaborik but I might be. Fiala will be too old for the list next season, but he's still young enough to inspire hope.

And there is the arrival of 23-year-old Kirill Kaprizov. If Kaprizov is anywhere as good as he looks like he could be, he might finally crack that top 25 under 25 list for the Wild and break the streak next year.

I, for one, am more intrigued by this year's team than I have been by a Wild team in a long time. I'm probably just a sucker for potential, but hope is a powerful thing.

Post #: 564
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 12/16/2020 1:49:12 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Not a problem as ESPN doesn't know shit about the NHL.
Post #: 565
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 12/16/2020 1:53:23 PM   
TJSweens

I would say Fiala and Kaprizov should be on that list, but I really can't think of another year when we had a player who really belonged on that list.

But, yeah I agree about ESPN's hockey accumen.

Post #: 566
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 12/18/2020 10:11:55 PM   
Mr. Ed

The National Hockey League and its players reached a tentative deal on Friday to hold a 56-game season in 2021 beginning Jan. 13, pending the approval of each side's executive board and Canadian health officials.

Deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirmed the sides have an agreement, pending the approval of various executive boards.

The NHL Players' Association's board is meeting Friday night to discuss it, while the league's board of governors could vote on the plan as soon as this weekend. Approval from health officials in the five Canadian provinces that have teams is still needed before the NHL can go ahead with the season.

Training camps for the seven teams who did not participate in last season's playoff bubbles would open Dec. 31, and camps would commence Jan. 3 for the other 24 teams. It's unclear whether teams would play in their home arenas or in "hub" cities, though an all-divisional schedule is expected.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 567
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 12/19/2020 11:45:45 AM   
SoMnFan

Love it
Should be like 40 games
Make people want it more
Keep players healthier
I hope the one thing that comes from Covid is that we realize we were over-saturated in every aspect of our lives.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 568
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 12/19/2020 12:03:41 PM   
stfrank

quote:

Love it
Should be like 40 games
Make people want it more
Keep players healthier
I hope the one thing that comes from Covid is that we realize we were over-saturated in every aspect of our lives.

And that it's OK to stay home and actually "talk" with your family.
Post #: 569
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 12/19/2020 12:05:59 PM   
SoMnFan

No one has been more addicted to sports than this cat at times
But this has taught me to appreciate the games more
Less is better in many things

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 570
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 12/19/2020 12:06:36 PM   
stfrank

Looking forward to some Wild hockey to start up.
After last season ended I was very pessimistic about them, but with all the changes comes some fresh hope for the new season.
If nothing else, we know it won't be the same old, same old like the past few seasons.
Post #: 571
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 12/19/2020 12:09:58 PM   
SoMnFan

The changes alone excite me
We need a different feel
Very excited for that

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 572
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 12/21/2020 8:06:12 AM   
SoMnFan

Wild have 5 prospects playing in the World Juniors
Should be fun to watch their progress
2 Russians - Firstov & Khusnutdinov
1 Austrian - Rossi
1 Czech - Novak
1 American - Boldy

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 12/21/2020 8:07:52 AM >

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 573
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 12/21/2020 8:11:15 AM   
stfrank

quote:

Wild have 5 prospects playing in the World Juniors
Should be fun to watch their progress
2 Russians - Firstov & Khusnutdinov
1 Austrian - Rossi
1 Czech - Novak
1 American - Boldy

A good sign that we finally have some talent in the pipeline.
Do the first warm up games start today?
Do you know, are all the games on the NHL network?
Post #: 574
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 12/21/2020 8:18:07 AM   
SoMnFan

yep and yep as far as I know

I was looking for games last night , but saw they are now saying pre-lims this week
Think USA is Tuesday maybe
I'll do some checking
Yeah, its all on NHL Network

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 575
Page:   <<   < prev  20 21 22 [23] 24   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft Page: <<   < prev  20 21 22 [23] 24   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode