Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 8/10/2020 7:49:00 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

Not long now until we find out our draft position. It would be so awesome to get the #1 pick. I won't be surprised at all if Pittsburgh gets it.

It's Minnesota sports. Likely to be another disappointment.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 126
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 8/10/2020 8:00:16 AM   
stfrank

My guess is either the Rangers or Penns get the top pick. Just like most things with Minnesota sports, hope for the best, but don't expect it.
Post #: 127
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 8/10/2020 8:41:11 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

My guess is either the Rangers or Penns get the top pick. Just like most things with Minnesota sports, hope for the best, but don't expect it.

1-8 is a long shot, but not out of the question. Go WILD!!!

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 128
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 8/10/2020 9:49:15 AM   
kgdabom

I just found out that the Phase 2 draw won't take place or at least be announced until 5 PM Minnesota time.

Date: Monday, Aug. 10
Time: 6 p.m. ET | 3 p.m. PT
TV channel: NBCSN, NHL Network (U.S.) | Sportsnet, TVA Sports (Canada)

Why couldn't it have been noon? Have to spend the rest of the day in agony.

If I'm reading the tea leaves right the worst we can pick is #9.

TEAM ODDS PTS. PCT.
Minnesota Wild 12.5 pct. .558
Winnipeg Jets 12.5 .563
New York Rangers 12.5 .564
Florida Panthers 12.5 .565
Nashville Predators 12.5 .565
Toronto Maple Leafs 12.5 .579
Edmonton Oilers 12.5 .585
Pittsburgh Penguins 12.5 .623

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/10/2020 9:52:50 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 129
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 8/10/2020 10:03:54 AM   
TJSweens

The one benefit of the way BETTMAN! set up this cluster-f**k if a playoff / lottery is the Wild went from the #11 pick to worst case #9.

I'm still amazed that Pittsburgh had the 8th best record in the NHL and has an even shot with the bottom teams in the league for the top pick. They were #8 overall, but #5 in the east, so they didn't get a bye in the first round.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 130
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 8/10/2020 1:37:36 PM   
TJSweens

Guerin on the goaltending:

“Al had a tremendous year and Devan had an off year, and it needs to be better,” Guerin said. “That's just the way it is. And if I told you anything different, I'd be lying to you. It was not a strong point for us.”

I like it. No attempt at mitigating bullshit. Speak the situation plainly and take steps to resolve it.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 131
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 8/10/2020 1:44:06 PM   
SoMnFan

Shooter does get to the point
I haven't given up on him. Yet.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 132
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 8/10/2020 2:51:03 PM   
Mr. Ed

Bill Guerin didn’t have much time to retool the Wild after he was named general manager last August, joining the organization less than a month before training camp opened.

But now he has a wider window to maneuver, albeit during abnormal circumstances, and that could put the Wild on the cusp of an overhaul since Guerin expects to be busy after the team was quickly bounced from the Stanley Cup qualifiers.

“We’re a good team, but there definitely have to be changes,” Guerin said Monday on a video conference call. “There are always changes. We haven’t had success here. Things need to get better. That’s just the way it is.”

Although the sample size is small, Guerin has already proven he isn’t afraid to shuffle the deck.

His first major trade shipped fan favorite Jason Zucker to Pittsburgh, and he also fired coach Bruce Boudreau in mid-February before permanently promoting Dean Evason last month following Evason’s 8-4 run in the regular season as an interim.

Still, the result was the same — another early exit from the postseason, this time a 3-1 bust to Vancouver in a best-of-five as part of the NHL’s return to play tournament after the season was paused in March due to the pandemic.

How aggressively Guerin reacts to this latest letdown will shape realistic expectations for next season, and he has targets in mind.

Not only does he feel the Wild needs to get faster, but the team also could use a skill upgrade with its forwards. The addition of Kirill Kaprizov should help with that, but Kaprizov isn’t a center and that’s the area the Wild has to bolster.

“Teams don’t trade No. 1 centers,” Guerin said. “They just don’t. Usually it’s got to be done in the free-agent market or through the draft. It’s a position that I think this organization has needed for quite some time, and we’re going to try to address it.

“A No. 1 center is very tough to come by. I don’t see one, to be honest with you, in the pipeline. It’s something that we’re hoping somebody can turn into. But you don’t know.”

And although Guerin felt Alex Stalock gave the team a chance to win in every playoff game, goaltending is on the hot seat.

Both Stalock and normal No. 1 Devan Dubnyk are under contract for next season, but the hierarchy isn’t set.

“Whoever’s playing well is going to play,” Guerin said. “I was disappointed in the goaltending this year. Al had a tremendous year and Devan had an off year, and it needs to be better. That’s just the way it is. And if I told you anything different, I’d be lying to you. It was not a strong point for us.”

At .897, the Wild had the third-worst save percentage in the NHL in the regular season and a bottom-10 goals-against average (3.14), a drop-off that prompted Guerin to cut ties with longtime goaltending coach Bob Mason on Monday. In addition to hiring a new goalie coach, the Wild will also bring on another assistant coach. Assistants Bob Woods and Darby Hendrickson will return.

“He had an incredible run here,” Guerin said of Mason’s 18-year tenure with the organization after the International Falls native’s 18-season stint in the NHL. “I have nothing negative to say about him. Sometimes you just need change, and at that position we needed a change.”

The team has Kaapo Kahkonen to consider, the reigning American Hockey League goalie of the year who Guerin pegged as an option, and Guerin didn’t commit to giving the Dubnyk-Stalock tandem a chance to redeem itself next season.

“No, I can’t say that,” Guerin said. “If I have an opportunity to make it better, I will. But I’m also confident if those guys come back that they’re gonna be battling for a spot. And, we’ve got Kaapo Kahkonen pushing. It just has to be better flat out. So, I can’t promise anybody a spot.

“Al did himself a lot of good. He played hard. The guys played for him. But, still, next year is next year, and we’re going to be better.”

Guerin can start making adjustments now, but this isn’t a typical offseason.

The salary cap will stay flat at $81.5 million, which certainly affects teams’ flexibility, and there’s uncertainty about whether next season will actually start on Dec. 1 like the NHL hopes.

Wild brass would like to begin tackling contracts, but Guerin acknowledged that process could get delayed since it’s tricky not knowing what the market will look like.

Captain Mikko Koivu, Alex Galchenyuk and Carson Soucy are the team’s unrestricted free agents, while Luke Kunin and Jordan Greenway are restricted free agents. The likes of Kevin Fiala, Marcus Foligno and Jonas Brodin are also eligible for extensions. The Wild has approximately $16 million in cap space for next season, according to capfriendly.com.

But, unlike a year ago, Guerin has time to explore the possibilities — an opportunity that could lead to a new version of the franchise.

“I’m always listening and always willing to listen to another team’s ideas,” Guerin said, “and we have some ideas of our own.”

Escape while you can!
Post #: 133
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 8/10/2020 3:02:45 PM   
kgdabom

2 hours until the draft program. If they announce it from 15 down unlike the NBA draft presentation if they skip teams place you know that team got #1 not just a place in the top 3.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 134
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 8/10/2020 5:17:13 PM   
kgdabom

I'm watching the draft lottery now. Go WIld.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 135
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 8/10/2020 5:19:02 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

You called it. New York Rangers.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 136
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 8/10/2020 6:37:12 PM   
kgdabom

The ping pong balls all had the team logos on them. When the ball shot up I was hoping to see green, but it looked like blue to my eagle eyes. I thought damn it probably the rangers. When he picked it up and faced it sure enough.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 137
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 8/10/2020 8:22:55 PM   
SoMnFan

9th.

Pfffffffffffffft

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 138
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 8/10/2020 8:29:36 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

9th.

Pfffffffffffffft

Draftsite has us taking Anton Lundell. 6'2" 181

Well-rounded Finn centre with good vision, puckhandling savvy and ability to make the soft pass. Not flashy, just effective. Plays on both the power play and penalty-kill. Will disrupt the opposition's breakouts by setting himself on a collision course right at them. He plays the point on the PP. Although not the high end magic handed stickhandler that has redefined the present era, he is really strong in so many other areas, like in dot, his strong skating stride, and his positioning. His skating continues to improve, but needs to add leg strength. Good balance on his pins for his sturdy build, and displays good edge work, with the pace increasing with each stride. Is strong on the puck and on his stick and plays like a big man all over the sheet. Moves well laterally, utilizes the push'em back entry, where he sends the puck backward and then finds a soft spot down low. Playing in a grown man’s league, he continues to be force down low using his powerful stride to maintain possession plowing through defenders in the attack areas, creating space for his team. Very smart reliable player in all areas Gets his whole body leaning into his shot. Will crash the front, and has a fireball of a shot he releases from the point. Although he will be compared in his present unpolished form as a lesser light to Kotkaniemi or other larger Finns, he already has a heavy shot and is responsible in his end, and can dominate down low as he continues growing his game. An elbow injury earlier this month had him projected to miss six weeks.

--Bill Placzek--

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 139
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 8/10/2020 8:31:43 PM   
TJSweens

We actually improved two slots as a result of the shutdown and modified playoffs. I can't imagine there is any way Pittsburg will send us their 1st round pick this year.

Post #: 140
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 8/10/2020 8:33:27 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

9th.

Pfffffffffffffft

Well-rounded Finn centre with good vision, puckhandling savvy and ability to make the soft pass. Not flashy, just effective. Plays on both the power play and penalty-kill. Will disrupt the opposition's breakouts by setting himself on a collision course right at them. He plays the point on the PP. Although not the high end magic handed stickhandler that has redefined the present era, he is really strong in so many other areas, like in dot, his strong skating stride, and his positioning. His skating continues to improve, but needs to add leg strength. Good balance on his pins for his sturdy build, and displays good edge work, with the pace increasing with each stride. Is strong on the puck and on his stick and plays like a big man all over the sheet. Moves well laterally, utilizes the push'em back entry, where he sends the puck backward and then finds a soft spot down low. Playing in a grown man’s league, he continues to be force down low using his powerful stride to maintain possession plowing through defenders in the attack areas, creating space for his team. Very smart reliable player in all areas Gets his whole body leaning into his shot. Will crash the front, and has a fireball of a shot he releases from the point. Although he will be compared in his present unpolished form as a lesser light to Kotkaniemi or other larger Finns, he already has a heavy shot and is responsible in his end, and can dominate down low as he continues growing his game. An elbow injury earlier this month had him projected to miss six weeks.

--Bill Placzek--

NO!! NOT ONLY NO , BUT HELL NO! The scouting on the kid is Mikko Koivu II.

Post #: 141
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 8/10/2020 8:52:10 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

9th.

Pfffffffffffffft

--Bill Placzek--

We have Mikko Koivu II in Ek.
If we draft this kid we could have Mikko Koivu III too!

< Message edited by stfrank -- 8/10/2020 8:55:03 PM >
Post #: 142
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 8/10/2020 8:56:45 PM   
TJSweens

Ek is not Koivu II. He plays with more speed and aggression than Koivu ever did.

Post #: 143
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 8/10/2020 9:27:48 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

9th.

Pfffffffffffffft

--Bill Placzek--

We have Mikko Koivu II in Ek.
If we draft this kid we could have Mikko Koivu III too!

I have no problem with him. Let me see who else is being mocked to us.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 144
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 8/10/2020 9:32:06 PM   
kgdabom

Bleacher report has us taking this guy.
9. Minnesota Wild: RW Jack Quinn, Ottawa 67's (OHL)
HomeNHL Entry Draft
Jack Quinn – 2020 NHL Draft Prospect Profile
BY CHRIS FARIA JUNE 7TH, 2020

The Hockey Writers 2020 NHL Entry Draft Guide
Jack Quinn
2019-20 Team: Ottawa 67’s

Date of Birth: Sept. 19, 2001

Place of Birth: Cobden, Ontario

Ht: 6-foot Wt: 179 lbs
Shoots: Right

Position: Right wing

NHL Draft Eligibility: 2020 first-year eligible

Rankings
NHL Central Scouting: 9th (Among NA skaters)
Bob McKenzie, TSN: 19th
HockeyProspect.com: 11th
ISS: 10th
McKeen’s Hockey: 16th
Future Considerations: 23rd
The Hockey Writers (Bell): 19th
Coming in as a near consensus top-20 pick for the upcoming NHL Entry Draft, Ottawa 67’s right winger Jack Quinn is the definition of a late riser. In fact, the 6-foot sniper wasn’t even included in Larry Fisher’s Top 124 Preseason Rankings released last August, and by November was still projected as just a third-rounder. It’s hard to believe that with 52 goals and 89 points through 62 games in the Ontario Hockey League this season that Quinn could have flown under the radar for so long, but that’s part of what makes his story so special.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 145
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 8/10/2020 9:34:06 PM   
kgdabom

2 sites had us taking this guy.

9th overall – (Minnesota) Jake Sanderson

Dave Reginek/Getty Images North America
Son of former NHL’er Geoff Sanderson, the captain of the US National Junior Team committed to the University of North North Dakota. He spent the 2019-20 season with the USNTDP Juniors in the USHL. The Minnesota Wild won’t see this player for a while I don’t think, but they are not in desperate need of him and can wait a few years while he develops at school. If that’s the route he chooses, this player will be like another Cale Makar in my opinion.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/10/2020 9:36:33 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 146
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 8/10/2020 9:52:07 PM   
TJSweens

Sanderson is a really nice prospect who probably wouldn't have been available to us if we were still drafting #11. I would be very happy with that pick.

Post #: 147
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 8/10/2020 10:04:21 PM   
TJSweens

I can't stress enough ....

No defensive minded, stoic Finnish centers

No smooth skating Swedish defensemen

Post #: 148
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 8/11/2020 1:18:38 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Sanderson is a really nice prospect who probably wouldn't have been available to us if we were still drafting #11. I would be very happy with that pick.

I just looked up Cale Makar. If he's another Cale Makar that's a very, very good thing.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 149
RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft - 8/11/2020 8:58:42 AM   
stfrank

quote:

Ek is not Koivu II. He plays with more speed and aggression than Koivu ever did.

A little more speed and aggression that Koivu, but otherwise he is pretty much the same defensive center that will never get you more than 20 goals in a season. I agree we don't need another lock down center. We need a true #1 center that can score and dish out assists to his wingers, not more 200 ft, solid 2-way centers that will only get you 10-15 goals a season and belongs on a checking line.
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: 2020 Wild Post Mortem Offseason & Draft Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode