Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: bstinger
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 10/1/2020 9:07:10 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

I'll get yelled at for this ….
But to me the Sano thing is very very tough

To me ….. he is DAVID ORTIZ
The way we feel about Sano right now is how I felt about Ortiz here
And I was so happy we cut ties.
And the rest is history as they say
I have NO IDEA what to do with him.
I know what it feels like right now, but …..

and yeah, yeah, hes not Ortiz, yadda yadda .. I get it
But it feels like the same frustrating problem child

Yep

Keep working with him and hope he gets it? or trade him and see what happens

THE most frustrating player on the team.

Here is where I disagree. Ortiz made a hell of a lot more contact than Sano. He never hit less than .272 in a full season and his strike out rate was 1 in 5. Sano has a career average of .241 and strikes out 1 in 2.7 PA for his career.

At age 27, he still has the same bad habits that he has had since the beginning. Overly aggressive. Over swings. Constantly chases outside pitches.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 26
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 10/1/2020 9:08:01 AM   
McMurfy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BI6PiZ2scRY

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 27
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 10/1/2020 9:11:20 AM   
SoMnFan

Pretty spot on Murf

We bad
At everything

One of the announcer groups last night really rubbed it in, went there …. since '91, we got nothin man
Nothin
We're no longer one of the desolate sports lands
We are the one

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 28
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 10/1/2020 9:12:14 AM   
SoMnFan

Like I said would be pointed out, Sano and Ortiz are different, but the situation is eerily similar overall.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 29
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 10/1/2020 9:18:42 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Yep

Here is where I disagree. Ortiz made a hell of a lot more contact than Sano. He never hit less than .272 in a full season and his strike out rate was 1 in 5. Sano has a career average of .241 and strikes out 1 in 2.7 PA for his career.

At age 27, he still has the same bad habits that he has had since the beginning. Overly aggressive. Over swings. Constantly chases outside pitches.

Here's the thing about Sano. The guy has no discipline at the plate. He has plenty of power to hit a home run to any side of the field.

And yet, he was the guy in the 9th inning in game one that went opposite field for a hit to keep the hopes alive. He's an enigma.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 30
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 10/1/2020 9:26:45 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep

Here's the thing about Sano. The guy has no discipline at the plate. He has plenty of power to hit a home run to any side of the field.

And yet, he was the guy in the 9th inning in game one that went opposite field for a hit to keep the hopes alive. He's an enigma.

That's kind of the point I keep harping on too. When Sano keeps it simple and focuses on barreling the ball, it's a beautiful thing to watch. The man is just so freakin strong the ball flies out in all directions. When he tries to hit everything 900 feet (like the month of September), he just strikes out a lot.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 31
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 10/1/2020 9:54:32 AM   
Steve Lentz

Buxton and the injuries are a problem. Don't have an answer for it.
I would not get rid of Buxton. He's way too talented in every aspect of the game.
He carried this team for the short time he was playing. Way too much talent to give up on him.
We have to many other questions to worry about at this time.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 32
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 10/1/2020 9:59:21 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

I would not get rid of Buxton. He's way too talented in every aspect of the game.
He carried this team for the short time he was playing. Way too much talent to give up on him.

He's a career .238 hitter. I would hardly call that someone that is irreplaceable.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 10/1/2020 10:00:33 AM >

Post #: 33
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 10/1/2020 10:07:36 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

He's a career .238 hitter. I would hardly call that someone that is irreplaceable.

His average over the last 2 years is about 25 points higher than that. There is also more to it than average. His slugging the last 2 years is .513 and .577 and his OPS was .827 and .844.

More than that the Twins won 70% of their games with him in the lineup over the last 2 years and are barely .500 when he is out of the lineup.

Post #: 34
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 10/1/2020 10:17:45 AM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

I didn't say he was irreplaceable. I said he carried the team for a period this year while healthy. We have way too many players to make decisions on that don't bring the speed & defense he adds to the team. Health is what has hampered his development. I keep this stock while the value is still minimized.
Speaking of healthy it sure appears that a huge part of out team was beat up? Arraez and his
legs, Kepler and his groin, Sano, Polanco, Donaldson and Garver. We were missing a third of what was expected to be our regular offense. Kepler and Polanco looked tired and hurt.

Sano appears lazy to me. All the power in the world, but isn't in shape and hasn't made any improvement in his pitch recognition. Love his power, but he's a below average defender and has not improved his hitting. I like his potential, but if he can't get his shit together trade him.

Post #: 35
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 10/1/2020 10:18:43 AM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

quote:

His average over the last 2 years is about 25 points higher than that. There is also more to it than average. His slugging the last 2 years is .513 and .577 and his OPS was .827 and .844.

More than that the Twins won 70% of their games with him in the lineup over the last 2 years and are barely .500 when he is out of the lineup.

Buxton stays.

Post #: 36
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 10/1/2020 10:21:19 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

I didn't say he was irreplaceable. I said he carried the team for a period this year while healthy. We have way too many players to make decisions on that don't bring the speed & defense he adds to the team. Health is what has hampered his development. I keep this stock while the value is still minimized.
Speaking of healthy it sure appears that a huge part of out team was beat up? Arraez and his
legs, Kepler and his groin, Sano, Polanco, Donaldson and Garver. We were missing a third of what was expected to be our regular offense. Kepler and Polanco looked tired and hurt.

Sano appears lazy to me. All the power in the world, but isn't in shape and hasn't made any improvement in his pitch recognition. Love his power, but he's a below average defender and has not improved his hitting. I like his potential, but if he can't get his shit together trade him.

Steve is a little irritated by this fast exit, no? Read some of your posts in - game and yeah, thought to myself "Steve is a little pissed off at the Twins".

Escape while you can!
Post #: 37
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 10/1/2020 10:24:32 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Steve is a little irritated by this fast exit, no? Read some of your posts in - game and yeah, thought to myself "Steve is a little pissed off at the Twins".

and that, my friend, takes a lot

its time to be fed up around here

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 38
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 10/1/2020 10:37:06 AM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

and that, my friend, takes a lot

its time to be fed up around here

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 39
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 10/1/2020 10:46:44 AM   
SoMnFan

I'll say it again … I was shocked at the national experts reactions during the other games
It got a LOT of air time on each game
It was clearly

THIS IS TOO GOOD OF A TWINS TEAM TO NOT WIN IN THE POSTSEASON

Every one of them said it clearly.
Sometimes they don't tell the whole truth until its over.
They all were like "really really really good squad there, we don't get it"

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 40
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 10/1/2020 10:53:08 AM   
Mr. Ed

What to do w/Cruz

last 10 games w/the bothersome knee didn't do much

Then the playoffs and

Nelson Cruz: 2-for-6, 2 doubles, 2 walks.
The rest of the #MNTwins: 5-for-53, no extra-base hits, eight walks.

I'm sure he'd like a couple year deal. Talk it out. Maybe a year w/mutual option.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 41
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 10/1/2020 10:55:23 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

And he gets picked off when attempting to make a comeback in a playoff game.

Post #: 42
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 10/1/2020 10:56:49 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

What to do w/Cruz

Then the playoffs and

I'm sure he'd like a couple year deal. Talk it out. Maybe a year w/mutual option.

Gotta get him resigned. Cruz was dealing with a balky knee the last part of the season. We need his bat and we desperately need his leadership.

I liken him to a Torii Hunter. We lost Hunter and went straight in the toilet. Hunter came back and we just missed the playoffs. Hunter retired and we went right back in the toilet.

Some guys have that undefinable "something" that makes a team better by their mere presence and Cruz is one of those guys.

Post #: 43
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 10/1/2020 10:57:43 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So you're comparing a single play to a 2 year body of work?

Post #: 44
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 10/1/2020 11:13:47 AM   
ronhextall

If the Twins "pay" Buxton that will be a serious problem when he is injured. Unlike the Yankees, the Twins have a self imposed salary cap and paying Buxton will have ramifications to the rest of the roster.
Post #: 45
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 10/1/2020 11:14:38 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

What to do w/Cruz

Then the playoffs and

Gotta get him resigned. Cruz was dealing with a balky knee the last part of the season. We need his bat and we desperately need his leadership.

I liken him to a Torii Hunter. We lost Hunter and went straight in the toilet. Hunter came back and we just missed the playoffs. Hunter retired and we went right back in the toilet.

Some guys have that undefinable "something" that makes a team better by their mere presence and Cruz is one of those guys.

End of that discussion
No brainer
Hunters a good comp
And Cruz is even more productive
Do what it takes
You want to see shit really fall apart?
Let that man go.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 46
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 10/1/2020 11:19:21 AM   
Phil Riewer

Of all the guys on the Twins....Buxton, Maeda, and Cruz are irreplaceable.

Record with Buxton versus w/o.....CF Defense and Buck's Offense is hard to replace.

If you want to trade Sano, Rosario, Polanco, Kepler, Arreaz, Garver, and even Berrios---I see a way to replace them. Buck, Maeda, and Cruz seem to bring something a little extra to me.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 47
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 10/1/2020 11:27:47 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall
If the Twins "pay" Buxton that will be a serious problem when he is injured. Unlike the Yankees, the Twins have a self imposed salary cap and paying Buxton will have ramifications to the rest of the roster.

What about Donaldson & Oddorizzi this year? Odor made two starts I believe....JD played less than half the games.

Buxton is a difference maker that was beaned 3 games before the playoffs. I think he is learning to not be so reckless....the guy has had incredibly bad luck on top of everything else. I remember a foul ball off of his toe. Add the beaning and things have to turn the other way don't they?

If we signed Sano for 4/40 that isn't a big investment for Buxton really--not a salary cap breaker.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 48
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 10/1/2020 11:31:04 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So you're comparing a single play to a 2 year body of work?

A two-year body of work? Or two, half-year bodies of work? Which is it? 87 and 39 games is not a body of work. It's a workout.

Post #: 49
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 10/1/2020 11:35:54 AM  1 votes
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Of all the guys on the Twins....Buxton, Maeda, and Cruz are irreplaceable.

Record with Buxton versus w/o.....CF Defense and Buck's Offense is hard to replace.

If you want to trade Sano, Rosario, Polanco, Kepler, Arreaz, Garver, and even Berrios---I see a way to replace them. Buck, Maeda, and Cruz seem to bring something a little extra to me.

The record with Buxton in the lineup is a ridiculous argument. It could also be said that he is a liability as a result of always being injured, thus causing more losses as a result.

It's a great argument for an agent, but doesn't hold much water on the field of play.

At the end of the day, the guy can't keep himself healthy and when he does he's a .238 lifetime hitter.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 10/1/2020 11:37:04 AM >

Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode