Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason Page: <<   < prev  56 57 [58] 59 60   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/15/2021 11:58:34 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

Twins ST Invitees

LHP
Uncle Albers
THE Charlie Barnes
Danny Coulombe
Brandon Waddell

Honestly, I'd almost rather see Barnes get a shot than be subjected to another recycling of Uber and Schnauzer.

Uber is #5 on the depth chart
Schnauzer is 6, Thorpe 7

https://www.mlb.com/twins/roster/depth-chart

Don't anybody try to tell me that they upgraded the rotation.

They had Hill and Bailey last year. Happ this year.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1426
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/15/2021 12:04:14 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Win the division
Lose the playoff games again

Go for a lower team salary

Makes sense.

Rosario's millions should have gone for a starter >>> Dobnak, Happ and Pineda

either by trade or FA.

Somebody made a similar comment in the strib comments a few days ago and the killer sheep went after him. The payroll right now is reasonable given they lost money due to covid-19 last year,....look at where the staff ERA ranked last year,....BA-A-A-A-A-A-A BA-A-A-A-A-A-A BA-A-A-A-A-A-A BA-A-A-A-A-A-A

They only paid players 1/2 or 1/3 of their contract-----the players shared the loss of tickets sales and concessions.

NY going to allow 10% capacity to NBA/NHL games in a few weeks?

Post #: 1427
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/15/2021 12:08:43 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Twins ST Invitees

LHP
Uncle Albers
THE Charlie Barnes
Danny Coulombe
Brandon Waddell

Honestly, I'd almost rather see Barnes get a shot than be subjected to another recycling of Uber and Schnauzer.

Schnauzer is 6, Thorpe 7

No, they had Hill and Bailey for number 5 last year. They have Uber at the top of the depth chart for that spot this year. Haap replaces Stinky and is a marginal upgrade.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1428
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/15/2021 12:21:40 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Twins ST Invitees

LHP
Uncle Albers
THE Charlie Barnes
Danny Coulombe
Brandon Waddell

Schnauzer is 6, Thorpe 7

No, they had Hill and Bailey for number 5 last year. They have Uber at the top of the depth chart for that spot this year. Haap replaces Stinky and is a marginal upgrade.

I am agreeing with you...they spent money on Odor, Bailey, and Hill last year...all three are gone. Over 20 million in contracts. Unless they think the kids are ready it looks like a downgrade.

Post #: 1429
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/15/2021 1:02:08 PM   
Mr. Ed

Gleeman

MLB ruled Lewis Thorpe gets a rare fourth minor-league option due to past injuries.

That means he can be sent to the minors. Twins no longer forced into an "Opening Day roster or cut bait" decision.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1430
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/15/2021 1:02:53 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

Gleeman

MLB ruled Lewis Thorpe gets a rare fourth minor-league option due to past injuries.

That means he can be sent to the minors. Twins no longer forced into an "Opening Day roster or cut bait" decision.

Weird.

Dustin is gonna love this!!

I get things done
Post #: 1431
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/15/2021 1:23:42 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Twins ST Invitees

LHP
Uncle Albers
THE Charlie Barnes
Danny Coulombe
Brandon Waddell

Schnauzer is 6, Thorpe 7

I am agreeing with you...they spent money on Odor, Bailey, and Hill last year...all three are gone. Over 20 million in contracts. Unless they think the kids are ready it looks like a downgrade.

Mea Culpa. I misunderstood what you were getting at. Yes, we actually agree on this one.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1432
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/15/2021 4:34:59 PM   
Phil Riewer

The Twins FO to fans that care.

Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan
·
6m
Right-hander Matt Shoemaker and the Minnesota Twins are in agreement on a one-year, $2 million deal, pending physical, sources tell ESPN. Shoemaker, 34, can earn another $250,000 in performance bonuses.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 2/15/2021 4:38:17 PM >

Post #: 1433
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/15/2021 4:52:49 PM   
Phil Riewer

Phil Mackey
@PhilMackey
·
2m
Shoemaker should do well in both of his starts next year
Quote Tweet
SKOR North
@SKORNorth
· 8m
BREAKING: #MNTwins have signed starting pitcher Matt Shoemaker, @DWolfsonKSTP confirms.

Post #: 1434
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/15/2021 7:46:21 PM   
TJSweens

WTF, wasn't Homer Bailey available?

Post #: 1435
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 6:48:23 AM   
Mr. Ed

More Yuck

Why?

Is a guy that's been hurt for a long time going to help that much?

Didn't learn lessons from Rich Hill and Homer Bailey.

Don't want to trade better prospects

Don't want to play better prospects.

Shrug
Someone else figure it out.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1436
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 6:51:14 AM   
Mr. Ed

I'm an amatuer
Nerds know best

In 2018 the #MNTwins had the 22nd ranked pitching staff in terms of fWAR.

They are the ONLY team in baseball to be top 3 the past two seasons.

Falvey, Levine, and the coaching staff have earned plenty of trust there.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1437
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 6:52:48 AM   
Mr. Ed

Was pretty certain the #MNTwins would add a starter via trade. Having not done so, they’ll have that full stable of prospects to add at the deadline if they so choose.

Keep

Dreaming

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1438
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 6:53:35 AM   
Mr. Ed

Gleeman sluprs some Kool Aid

My biggest, best, and favorite article every year!

Minnesota Twins Top 40 Prospects For 2021

Full write-ups of all 40 players, including scouting reports and stats, all available in one place — 8,000 words, plus videos.

It's a helluva farm system, too.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1439
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 6:53:43 AM   
twinsfan

Sweeney was complaining that Dobnak was slated to be our #5 starter. I don't want any more complaining from Sweeney.

I get things done
Post #: 1440
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 7:41:25 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Sweeney was complaining that Dobnak was slated to be our #5 starter. I don't want any more complaining from Sweeney.

Dobnak/Shoemaker

Why?

Depth? Cuz they're scared guys will get hurt? I've read that theory already. Fragile pitching in MLB

Then reduce the season to 140 games or something, and increase roster sizes.

Had ton of injuries in a 60 game season.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1441
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 7:51:08 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Dobnak/Shoemaker

Why?

Depth? Cuz they're scared guys will get hurt? I've read that theory already. Fragile pitching in MLB

I thought the Twins had their best roster ever last year.....Donaldson hurt, Polanco hurt, Buxton hurt, Hill & Bailey hurt most of the year and we get swept. The Killer instinct has to start with the FO.....& that killer instinct was Re-Sign Cruz/Robles/Simmons/Broxton/Happ/Shoemaker?

FO you have to lead by example....Getting Donaldson last year was killer. Other than resigning Cruz for a year and possibly Simmons I don't see it.

Post #: 1442
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 7:53:53 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dobnak/Shoemaker

Why?

I thought the Twins had their best roster ever last year.....Donaldson hurt, Polanco hurt, Buxton hurt, Hill & Bailey hurt most of the year and we get swept. The Killer instinct has to start with the FO.....& that killer instinct was Re-Sign Cruz/Robles/Simmons/Broxton/Happ/Shoemaker?

FO you have to lead by example....Getting Donaldson last year was killer. Other than resigning Cruz for a year and possibly Simmons I don't see it.

The goal

Per OWNERSHIP

is to CONTEND

Not win a World Series

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1443
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 8:17:02 AM  1 votes
Hats4Bats

quote:

quote:

Dobnak/Shoemaker

Why?

The Twins Interest in Matt Shoemaker is Intriguing
Feb 11 2021 08:30 PM | Andrew Thares in Minnesota Twins
It is hard to find someone with a better pulse on what the Minnesota Twins front office is doing these days than Darren Wolfson, who Thursday morning mentioned that the Twins have interest in veteran starting pitcher Matt Shoemaker.
Image courtesy of © Paul Rutherford-USA TODAY Sports
Initially, my reaction to the Twins being interested in Matt Shoemaker was, ho-hum. However, that started to change when I began doing a little digging on Shoemaker, and realized he is the prototype pitcher that the Falvine regime likes to target and turn into a much-improved pitcher on a low-risk high reward deal.

First, a little background on Shoemaker. He is a 34-year-old right-handed starter, with a career 3.86 ERA (4.03 FIP) with 8.1 K/9 and 2.2 BB/9 in 602 1/3 innings pitched, in a career that spans parts of eight different seasons with the Los Angeles Angels and Toronto Blue Jays.

On the surface, Shoemaker’s 28 2/3 innings pitched in 2020 were not very impressive, as he posted an ERA of 4.71 (5.95 FIP). Additionally, Shoemaker has made just 32 starts and pitched just 166 innings at the MLB level since the start of the 2017 season. Much of the time he missed in 2017 and 2018 was from a right forearm injury, and when he finally recovered from that, he unfortunately tore his ACL on a freak rundown play back in April of 2019, causing him to miss the rest of that season.

All this seems like a pitcher the Twins should steer clear from, but to me, this is all plays into why he would be a good target for the Twins and their small remaining budget, because he’s cheap. However, Matt Shoemaker is a lot more than just cheap, as there is reason to believe he could be a quality addition to the backend of the Twins rotation for the 2021 season. Let’s get into a few of those reasons, before all of you think I’m crazy.

Velocity Spike

The first thing I noticed when diving into Matt Shoemaker was the velocity spike that he had in 2020, particularly on his fastball. After following a typical early 30’s velocity decline, Shoemaker pumped his average fastball velocity up by 1.6 MPH on his 2019 average.

While it is hard to know for sure what caused this, I can’t help but think it has something to do with Shoemaker finally being back healthy from the forearm injury that gave him so much trouble for a couple of seasons. While there is also an argument that could be made that the shortened 2020 seasons is what allowed Shoemaker to spike his fastball velocity, this wouldn’t make sense with his career norm as he has shown a tendency to increase, not decrease, his fastball velocity as the season progresses.

Additionally, his fastball spike started to pay some dividends in the advanced metrics, particularly with his Four-seamer, where his expected wOBA dropped from a career .390 down to just .214 in 2020 on that pitch.

Revamping His Pitch Usage

Despite the improvement to his fastball in 2020, Shoemaker didn’t see a lot of tangible benefit to his performance as he was, by that account, not a very good pitcher in 2020. The big problem for Shoemaker was the home runs, as he gave up eight of them in just six starts last season. However, none of those eight home runs came off of Shoemaker’s four-seamer, as four came off his splitter, three off his sinker and one off his slider.

In fact, opposing hitters thoroughly struggled against Shoemaker’s four-seamer in 2020, as they combined to go just 2-for-15 off that pitch, with zero extra-base hits. Despite this show of improvement, Shoemaker and the Blue Jays failed to utilize this improvement to their advantage, as he only threw his four-seamer 18.6% of the time, which is well below his career average of 26.3% leading into the season.

Instead, they continued to focus the majority of his fastball usage on his sinker (25.6% of pitches in 2020), which has been a flat-out awful pitch for the almost the entirety of Shoemaker’s career. This is where an opportunity lies for the Twins to take advantage of. If they simply cut the usage of Shoemaker’s awful sinker in favor of what appears to be a much improved four-seamer, it would instantly bring his game to a whole new level.

Additionally, Shoemaker showed some improvement with his slider in 2020, as opposing hitters hit just .231 with a .337 wOBA and a .305 expected wOBA off that pitch. The one home run he did give up on his slider last season traveled all of 365 feet, and apart from that, opposing hitters rarely squared up the pitch, as they combined for an 80.4 MPH average exit velocity against it last season. For reference, in the Statcast era, there has not been a single qualified hitter who has posted a season with an average exit velocity below that of Billy Hamilton’s 80.5 MPH in 2017 and 2018. This could be another point of emphasis for the Twins in trying to get more out of Matt Shoemaker in 2021.

When looking at it this way, you can see how one or two simple changes could make a world of difference in Matt Shoemaker’s ability to get hitters out. Additionally, this change is exactly something that the Twins would be keen on making as doing away with the sinker, and upping the four-seamer and slider usage, has been a focal point of their pitching philosophy in recent years.

You factor all of that in with the Twins ability to get the absolute most out of pitchers when other couldn’t (just look at Kenta Maeda last year as an example) and the Twins could have themselves a more than credible option to compete for a spot in the Twins starting rotation this spring, and he would likely be doing so on a cheap, low-risk deal for the Twins.

Hats for Bats - - Keep Bats warm
Post #: 1444
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 8:17:05 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dobnak/Shoemaker

Why?

The goal

Per OWNERSHIP

is to CONTEND

Not win a World Series

Yep you need that one move to put a team over the top....last year Maeda and Donaldson could be considered that (moves to win). Haven't seen a similar move this offseason.

Post #: 1445
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 8:19:58 AM  1 votes
Mr. Ed

quote:

The Twins Interest in Matt Shoemaker is Intriguing

Good article

MAYBE

MAYBE THIS
MAYBE THAT

SMH

Can't get a deal done for something better. Can't give up the shiny prospects, but don't play them either.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1446
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 8:21:44 AM   
Phil Riewer

LAD have Gosselin/May as 6th/7th starters....trade for one. Don't care which prospect.

Post #: 1447
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 8:27:44 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

LAD have Gosselin/May as 6th/7th starters....trade for one. Don't care which prospect.

Exactly

They're so loaded at so many positions. They can dictate the return

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1448
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 8:29:04 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Exactly

Accept a David Price/Gosselin or May trade. Taking on salary would cost less prospects. I think Price is a douche but Gosselin/May would be the key.

Post #: 1449
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 8:39:05 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Exactly

Just how Friedman likes it. Still the best in the business.

Post #: 1450
Page:   <<   < prev  56 57 [58] 59 60   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason Page: <<   < prev  56 57 [58] 59 60   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode