Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason Page: <<   < prev  56 57 58 [59] 60   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 11:02:17 AM   
Mr. Ed

wow....just wow

Fan:
I just thinks fans are tired of the "just good enough to make the playoffs, yet not win a game after " narrative.

Twins Daily Writer Ted S replies

viewing Postseason results as cumulative is hollow.

You're talking about 3-7 game sample sizes. The #MNTwins not winning is insane, but it's not really predictive of anything.

Totally

Disagree

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1451
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 11:04:26 AM   
Mr. Ed

Nick N of Twins Daily

Amazing to me how quickly a large portion of Twins fans have become spoiled by how good the roster is.

You can argue they didn't improve a ton during the offseason but ... they didn't really need to? At worst they've held steady as one of the most talented teams in the league.

SMH

IT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH IN THE POSTSEASON!

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1452
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 11:05:53 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Sweeney was complaining that Dobnak was slated to be our #5 starter. I don't want any more complaining from Sweeney.

Dobnak/Shoemaker

Why?

Depth? Cuz they're scared guys will get hurt? I've read that theory already. Fragile pitching in MLB

Then reduce the season to 140 games or something, and increase roster sizes.

Had ton of injuries in a 60 game season.

I thought the Twins had their best roster ever last year.....Donaldson hurt, Polanco hurt, Buxton hurt, Hill & Bailey hurt most of the year and we get swept. The Killer instinct has to start with the FO.....& that killer instinct was Re-Sign Cruz/Robles/Simmons/Broxton/Happ/Shoemaker?

FO you have to lead by example....Getting Donaldson last year was killer. Other than resigning Cruz for a year and possibly Simmons I don't see it.

Trading for Maeda was pretty damn killer too.

I wish it was as easy to stop hating, as it was to start - Cmdr Chakotay - Star Trek: Voyager
Post #: 1453
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 11:07:08 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Nick N of Twins Daily

Amazing to me how quickly a large portion of Twins fans have become spoiled by how good the roster is.

You can argue they didn't improve a ton during the offseason but ... they didn't really need to? At worst they've held steady as one of the most talented teams in the league.

SMH

yeah, the attitude seems to always be: Well we got here. Mission accomplished...

Let's get these games over with and get the offseason started now. I've got golfing to do

I wish it was as easy to stop hating, as it was to start - Cmdr Chakotay - Star Trek: Voyager
Post #: 1454
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 11:10:29 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

Nick N of Twins Daily

SMH

Last year it took 13 wins in the playoffs to win the World Series. The Twins came up 13 wins short. That's how much they needed to improve in the off season. They still look that far short.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1455
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 11:33:34 AM   
MDK

17 straight playoff losses results in fans questioning Twins FO offseason moves?

Shocked, I am shocked at how fickle these fans are.

40 acres and a Mule. What a difference that would have made for African Americans.

The orange Jesus needs an orange jumpsuit
Post #: 1456
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 11:33:48 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Nick N of Twins Daily

SMH

Last year it took 13 wins in the playoffs to win the World Series. The Twins came up 13 wins short. That's how much they needed to improve in the off season. They still look that far short.

Too small of a sample size per the nerds

They're loaded

They're talented

Fans are spoiled

Just eat the grass and follow along like a good sheep, genuflecting at the feet of the Almighty Twins.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1457
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 11:35:20 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

17 straight playoff losses results in fans questioning Twins FO offseason moves?

I think it's 18. But I lost count.

I get things done
Post #: 1458
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 11:36:11 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Just eat the grass man

Maybe smoke it instead, then it'll all be REALLY good

Or take a couple of hits of that awesome kool aid

Nothing to see here. Playoffs are too small a sample size. Gauge it by Regular season Success.
Straight out of the ownership playbook.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1459
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 11:38:57 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Just eat the grass man

Nothing to see here. Playoffs are too small a sample size. Gauge it by Regular season Success.

Hey, we're winning and going to the postseason....

Stop complaining and just keep buying tickets, overpriced beer, and Hot dogs so we can make more money that we wont spend on improving the team....

Post #: 1460
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 12:05:59 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Just eat the grass man

Stop complaining YES and just keep buying tickets YES, overpriced beer YES, and Hot dogs YES, AND CUBANS so we can make more money that we wont spend on improving the team....

I get things done
Post #: 1461
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 12:40:23 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just eat the grass man

Stop complaining and just keep buying tickets, overpriced beer, and Hot dogs so we can make more money that we wont spend on improving the team....

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1462
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 12:52:04 PM   
Mr. Ed

"I’m really happy for the acquisition. He’s a good acquisition. He’s a good addition to our team. I’m happy about that."

"I know I can play left field so I’m looking forward to that. I’m looking forward to the challenge."

Arraez quoted by mlb.com on Simmons and LF

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1463
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/16/2021 1:16:33 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just eat the grass man

Thumbnail Image
OH YEAH!!!!!

Attachment (1)

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1464
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/17/2021 12:15:56 PM   
Mr. Ed

Twins bench coach Mike Bell undergoes surgery for kidney cancer, will not be with team this spring.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1465
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/17/2021 2:56:37 PM   
twinsfan

Some analytics as to why the Twins signed Matt Shoemaker:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/the-real-reason-minnesota-added-matt-shoemaker/ar-BB1dLyBD

Levine explained “You know we rely on data and evidence in our transactions. Our proprietary internal analysis has identified that Twins teams that have had a “Matt” on the roster have performed better than those that haven’t and that players with that name tend to be undervalued in free agency.”

Twinkie Town research ran the numbers and corroborated Levine’s claim about the Twins’ success with players named Matt. Over the past 20 seasons, 17 Twins teams have included at least one player named Matt. In those seasons, Minnesota has a 1,387—1,266 win-loss record (.523 winning percentage). In the other three seasons — those sans a Matt — the Twins have played to a 208—278 record (.428 winning percentage).

< Message edited by twinsfan -- 2/17/2021 2:58:08 PM >

I get things done
Post #: 1466
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/17/2021 2:58:07 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/the-real-reason-minnesota-added-matt-shoemaker/ar-BB1dLyBD

Thumbnail Image
OH YEAH!!!!!!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1467
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/17/2021 2:58:40 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Thumbnail Image

quote:

Levine explained “You know we rely on data and evidence in our transactions. Our proprietary internal analysis has identified that Twins teams that have had a “Matt” on the roster have performed better than those that haven’t and that players with that name tend to be undervalued in free agency.”

Twinkie Town research ran the numbers and corroborated Levine’s claim about the Twins’ success with players named Matt. Over the past 20 seasons, 17 Twins teams have included at least one player named Matt. In those seasons, Minnesota has a 1,387—1,266 win-loss record (.523 winning percentage). In the other three seasons — those sans a Matt — the Twins have played to a 208—278 record (.428 winning percentage).

I get things done
Post #: 1468
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/17/2021 3:00:51 PM   
twinsfan

Twinkie Town research has found that much of the Twins success in the 2000s came on the back of rostering multiple Matts. In fact, Minnesota rostered at least two Matts every season from 2004 through 2012. Levine laughed when recounting [former Twins GM] Bill Smith’s commitment to this strategy. “That 2010 team had four Matts — I mean, talk about going all in on a strategy. It worked that season though, 94-68 is nothing to sneeze at.”

Twinkie Town’s independent analysis confirmed the 2010 team did, in fact, have four Matts: Tolbert, Capps, Guerrier, and Fox. It was the only season since 2001 in which the team had that many. In that same span, three seasons had three Matts, eight seasons had two, and five have had just one.

I get things done
Post #: 1469
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/17/2021 4:22:07 PM   
Phil Riewer

Teams with multiple Matts walked more and did really well during the season and seemed to have the pirana type mentality until playoff time when they couldn't win a game.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1470
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/18/2021 7:00:55 AM   
Mr. Ed

Rand and LEN believe Twins need better pitching.
Find the column.

Rand says they need a better starter, LEN a power bullpen arm

to be in position for a postseason run.

And correctly (sorry nerds) the article states if they have this roster w/o change for post season, expect more failure.

Not good enough. Imagine that.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1471
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/18/2021 7:55:37 AM   
bstinger

quote:

Twinkie Town research has found that much of the Twins success in the 2000s came on the back of rostering multiple Matts. In fact, Minnesota rostered at least two Matts every season from 2004 through 2012. Levine laughed when recounting [former Twins GM] Bill Smith’s commitment to this strategy. “That 2010 team had four Matts — I mean, talk about going all in on a strategy. It worked that season though, 94-68 is nothing to sneeze at.”

Twinkie Town’s independent analysis confirmed the 2010 team did, in fact, have four Matts: Tolbert, Capps, Guerrier, and Fox. It was the only season since 2001 in which the team had that many. In that same span, three seasons had three Matts, eight seasons had two, and five have had just one.

You should submit your resume for bench coach.

100K per year plus all the Cubans and Beer you can handle.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 1472
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/18/2021 8:32:07 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

Rand and LEN believe Twins need better pitching.
Find the column.

Rand says they need a better starter, LEN a power bullpen arm

to be in position for a postseason run.

And correctly (sorry nerds) the article states if they have this roster w/o change for post season, expect more failure.

Not good enough. Imagine that.

I read that too. The bottom line is that the Twins need another starter of at least Maeda or Berrios quality AND another power arm in the pen if they are serious about contending for a WS. Rand pointed out that the only two playoff wins the Twins have since 2003 were started by Johan Santana. And I couldn't agree more. Without those improvements, this is just another year of being swept in the first round.

Post #: 1473
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/18/2021 9:11:31 AM   
Mr. Ed

MiLB schedules released Thursday including:
• 142 games for AAA
• 120 for AA & A
• 6-game series w/ 1 day off for 2021
• AAA East scheduled start 4/6
• AAA West scheduled start 4/8
• AA & A start 5/4

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1474
RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason - 2/18/2021 11:12:55 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Teams with multiple Matts walked more and did really well during the season and seemed to have the pirana type mentality until playoff time when they couldn't win a game.

That's when they became door Matts

Post #: 1475
Page:   <<   < prev  56 57 58 [59] 60   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2020 Season Post Mortem and Offseason Page: <<   < prev  56 57 58 [59] 60   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode