Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wolves 2020

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2020 Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wolves 2020 - 1/14/2021 11:18:35 PM   
Matt Lang

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimbo

Minnesota need a strong power forward......is their anyone available to fill this position. Give me some names, because this needs to be addressed.

Dennis Rodman would probably still be a top 5 player on this team
Post #: 326
RE: Wolves 2020 - 1/14/2021 11:30:13 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

They are tied for the 2nd worst box outs per game in the league (8.9). The league leaders are above 15 (Bucks and Heat). They’re 5th worst in charges drawn, 5th worst on contested 3 pointers, bottom 10 in contested shots, bottom half in defensive distance run, 7th worst on average defensive speed…they don’t run hard in defensive situations, basically.

There isn’t a single wolf in the top 10 deflections per game, total deflections, loose balls recovered/game or per 36, screen assists (game/36/total), charges drawn, contested threes, contested total shots, or box outs. The only wolves on the hustle board leader lists are Naz as the 10th best contested 2s per 36 and Vanderbilt, with the #1 number for deflections per 36 minutes.

They certainly don’t look like the fittest team, they don’t seem to run very hard on defense, and they have 2 or 3 guys who hustle. Between this and the strategic decision to play fast with bad d and no shooting…Suits really seems to be bad at coaching a pro team.

Posted by Chairman Bud on Jan 14, 2021 | 11:18 AM

Memphis had 80 points in the paint. 80. I admittedly don’t follow that number a lot, but that seems like an extraordinary number to me. What’s the average, like 40?

It was rough. Especially since Ryan refuses to play 2 bigs together (and Rosas refuses to add any defensive bigs).

The ONE positive so far this year has been KAT's commitment to defense. He's been really good. But Memphis was easily able to exploit the rest of the roster.

The issue was that if someone got penetration, KAT had to step up. That leaves the restricted area protected by who.... DLo? Beasley?

Honestly it seems like most of those paint points were on rolls or missed shots that function as assists since they drew KAT out and no one was there to rebound.

What makes the paint points even worse is that Memphis is one of the worst three point shooting teams in the league.
They don't shoot many, they are not efficient when they do. What exactly did we defend?

I think this team is so awful. The people that think we should trade Towns are wrong, but I doubt he likes anything about playing for this team, past and present.

Trading our best player will lock us in the basement for a decade. Keeping him, with the current coaching staff and personnel, will become tiresome for him.
We've done a good job wasting a great talent. Unfortunately, we're not done with that process.
Post #: 327
RE: Wolves 2020 - 1/15/2021 1:43:23 AM   
Matt Lang

It’s not at all clear to me that Rosas is good at his job
Post #: 328
RE: Wolves 2020 - 1/15/2021 6:58:17 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matt Lang

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

D'Angelo Russell's plus/minus through 11 games:

On court: -138 points in 346 minutes
Off court: +27 points in 187 minutes

Not only is -138 points the worst plus/minus for any player in the NBA this season, no one else is worse than -82. And no other Wolves are worse than -72.

Aaron Gleeman on Twitter

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/warriors-fleecing-t-wolves-andrew-wiggins-trade-becomes-clearer-every-day

I'd almost have to see it to believe Wiggins is thriving after 5-6 years of looking drowsy and uninterested on the floor.

If so, this is a major flag as to what a dysfuntional org here.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 329
RE: Wolves 2020 - 1/15/2021 9:57:39 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matt Lang

It’s not at all clear to me that Rosas is good at his job

I’m not ready to say that yet. It was only last year that he blew up the team mid season. And then COVID ended the season prematurely while they were probably still wearing name tags to get acquainted.

And this current bunch he put together was by no means intended to be a finished product. He had very limited resources and was saddled with bad contracts, so he filled the roster with second tier guys hoping that one or two of them might blossom while he’s biding his time to acquire bigger pieces.

His big move so far was the D’lo trade. Fair enough to give him heat for that. But I am still just so glad to rid of Wiggins I don’t care. Yes I understand all the + - numbers and so on problems with Russell but I just thought we were going to stuck with that awful Wiggins contract forever. And if it comes down to it at some point in the future I don’t think it will be as tough to find a taker for Russell.

He’s also been second guessed on his two drafts to date, Culver and Edwards. Too early to judge on Culver. He’s barely gotten his feet wet in the NBA. Ball is certainly making the Edwards pick bad at the moment. I preferred Ball too. But you can’t blame a guy too much for a Ball vs Edwards type misfire. Edwards has value too and was legitimately in the conversation for #1 by a lot of knowledgeable people. If it turns out to be a mistake, so be it. And if he makes a few of those mistakes, then that’s a different story. But one time picking 1A ahead of 1 is not overly damning

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 1/15/2021 10:00:06 AM >

Truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like to be challenged.
Post #: 330
RE: Wolves 2020 - 1/15/2021 10:57:17 AM   
David Levine

quote:

His big move so far was the D’lo trade. Fair enough to give him heat for that. But I am still just so glad to rid of Wiggins I don’t care. Yes I understand all the + - numbers and so on problems with Russell but I just thought we were going to stuck with that awful Wiggins contract forever. And if it comes down to it at some point in the future I don’t think it will be as tough to find a taker for Russell.

Again, even if you favor Russell, how do you throw in a very lightly protected first round pick in a lateral deal.

(We also gave them our 2021 2nd round pick in the deal..)
Post #: 331
RE: Wolves 2020 - 1/15/2021 12:03:34 PM   
JT2

Help is on the way, looks like we are trying to land soon to be 36 year old PJ Tucker.
Post #: 332
RE: Wolves 2020 - 1/15/2021 12:11:06 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

Help is on the way, looks like we are trying to land soon to be 36 year old PJ Tucker.

Makes no sense.

Yes, he'd actually be a very good fit. But why give up something to add a guy who will only be here for a couple months and is NOT the difference in making the Playoffs?

Not to mention I'm sure he has no desire to come here.
Post #: 333
RE: Wolves 2020 - 1/15/2021 12:17:31 PM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

Makes no sense.

Yes, he'd actually be a very good fit. But why give up something to add a guy who will only be here for a couple months and is NOT the difference in making the Playoffs?

I haven't really understood anything the Wolves have done under Rosas.

Hopefully Tucker gets a deal with a playoff contender.
Post #: 334
RE: Wolves 2020 - 1/15/2021 12:27:03 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Makes no sense.

I haven't really understood anything the Wolves have done under Rosas.

Hopefully Tucker gets a deal with a playoff contender.

If he doesn't get traded to one, he'll sign with one in the offseason for sure.
Post #: 335
RE: Wolves 2020 - 1/15/2021 12:34:44 PM   
Mr. Ed

Rubio and Hernangomez out Covid protocols per Strib.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 336
RE: Wolves 2020 - 1/15/2021 12:47:21 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

They are tied for the 2nd worst box outs per game in the league (8.9). The league leaders are above 15 (Bucks and Heat). They’re 5th worst in charges drawn, 5th worst on contested 3 pointers, bottom 10 in contested shots, bottom half in defensive distance run, 7th worst on average defensive speed…they don’t run hard in defensive situations, basically.

There isn’t a single wolf in the top 10 deflections per game, total deflections, loose balls recovered/game or per 36, screen assists (game/36/total), charges drawn, contested threes, contested total shots, or box outs. The only wolves on the hustle board leader lists are Naz as the 10th best contested 2s per 36 and Vanderbilt, with the #1 number for deflections per 36 minutes.

They certainly don’t look like the fittest team, they don’t seem to run very hard on defense, and they have 2 or 3 guys who hustle. Between this and the strategic decision to play fast with bad d and no shooting…Suits really seems to be bad at coaching a pro team.

Posted by Chairman Bud on Jan 14, 2021 | 11:18 AM

Memphis had 80 points in the paint. 80. I admittedly don’t follow that number a lot, but that seems like an extraordinary number to me. What’s the average, like 40?

It was rough. Especially since Ryan refuses to play 2 bigs together (and Rosas refuses to add any defensive bigs).

The ONE positive so far this year has been KAT's commitment to defense. He's been really good. But Memphis was easily able to exploit the rest of the roster.

The issue was that if someone got penetration, KAT had to step up. That leaves the restricted area protected by who.... DLo? Beasley?

Honestly it seems like most of those paint points were on rolls or missed shots that function as assists since they drew KAT out and no one was there to rebound.

What makes the paint points even worse is that Memphis is one of the worst three point shooting teams in the league.
They don't shoot many, they are not efficient when they do. What exactly did we defend?

I think this team is so awful. The people that think we should trade Towns are wrong, but I doubt he likes anything about playing for this team, past and present.

Trading our best player will lock us in the basement for a decade. Keeping him, with the current coaching staff and personnel, will become tiresome for him.
We've done a good job wasting a great talent. Unfortunately, we're not done with that process.

already are in basement, besides the year with Butler they always have been in the basement.

It isn't working and hasn't with Towns. Towns needs somebody to show him how to win, when he had it with Butler he refused to listen.

It's over, if you want to wait another 2 or 3 years that's fine. It's been about 30 years and counting.

< Message edited by ronhextall -- 1/15/2021 12:49:35 PM >
Post #: 337
RE: Wolves 2020 - 1/15/2021 1:47:37 PM   
David Levine

With KAT: 2-1, 112.3 PPG allowed
W/O KAT: 1-6, 121.6 PPG allowed
Post #: 338
RE: Wolves 2020 - 1/15/2021 5:00:30 PM   
JT2

Game postponed tonight.
Post #: 339
RE: Wolves 2020 - 1/15/2021 5:44:28 PM   
Mr. Ed

UPDATE: Wolves star Karl-Anthony Towns tweeted he has tested positive for COVID-19.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 340
RE: Wolves 2020 - 1/15/2021 5:45:02 PM   
David Levine

That poor family.

He's already lost his mom and SIX other family members to COVID.
Post #: 341
RE: Wolves 2020 - 1/15/2021 5:50:05 PM   
David Levine

Post #: 342
RE: Wolves 2020 - 1/15/2021 11:03:29 PM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

I’ve started to hear rumblings that Ball not going #1 was a mistake.

Huge mistake.

Not I wanted you to say.
Was hoping you’d talk me off of the ledge.

I still think there is a lot to like about Edwards, but Ball is on another level already.

Don't listen to Dane Moore and Will DeBerg break down the three top rookies through 10 games...

https://www.canishoopus.com/2021/1/12/22227305/dane-moore-nba-podcast-anthony-edwards-lamelo-ball-james-wiseman-nba-film-review-rookies

Edwards has shown flashes but will likely take some time. Ball seems to much further along at least out of the starting gate. No surprise here. I didn't think picking Edwards was a total flop at the time, but I was hoping for Ball.

Not selecting Ball was a total failure on our part, but selecting Edwards instead was even worse. He probably should have been drafted 7-10 range.

Wiseman, Tate, Quickley, Haliburton, Maxey and even Bey all probably have better NBA futures.

We didn't select the best player available, or the player with the highest upside. We drafted like all we needed was a little help to get us to the playoffs.
Memo to the Wolves, and most people in here: we're not a playoff team, no matter who we draft. Build a proper roster, even I would have some patience with the process if it looked like they knew what they are doing.

Okogie and Culver...keep holding your breath. We have no clue what we are doing.

Edwards probability to bust is so much greater than his probability to become an All-Star.
Post #: 343
RE: Wolves 2020 - 1/15/2021 11:06:14 PM   
JT2

quote:

That poor family.

He's already lost his mom and SIX other family members to COVID.

This is so sad.
Post #: 344
RE: Wolves 2020 - 1/16/2021 9:37:20 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

Again, even if you favor Russell, how do you throw in a very lightly protected first round pick in a lateral deal.

(We also gave them our 2021 2nd round pick in the deal..)

It’s the esoteric approach. Just a feeling. Doesn’t have to make sense on paper. I was just so glad to dump Wiggins I didn’t even care we had to give up draft picks to do it.

Post #: 345
RE: Wolves 2020 - 1/16/2021 10:51:05 AM   
twinsfan

I feel bad for KAT. But he shouldn't be promising he won't end up in a box next to grandma. He has no control of that. His family history with the virus is very concerning. Praying you get well KAT!

Joe Biden is our FDR.
Post #: 346
RE: Wolves 2020 - 1/16/2021 11:06:20 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

I feel bad for KAT. But he shouldn't be promising he won't end up in a box next to grandma. He has no control of that. His family history with the virus is very concerning. Praying you get well KAT!

A young man's bravado. I think they all understand that.

Post #: 347
RE: Wolves 2020 - 1/16/2021 4:48:45 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

Obesity is one of the biggest factors in serious complications,

Vitamin D also has been promoted by many on COVID severirty,

People have control over both, Same goes for not smoking.

Towns also has age on his side,

The odds of him facing death over this is almost zero,
Post #: 348
RE: Wolves 2020 - 1/18/2021 9:35:05 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

So he is just suppose to roll over?

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 349
RE: Wolves 2020 - 1/18/2021 3:56:29 PM   
Mr. Ed

Edwards 5-16
Beasley 5-17

Wolves lose to ATL 108-97 Russell 11-21 finished with 31, 7 assists, 4 steals (had 4 assists/4 steals at the half)

Hunter, per the highlight of him drilling a 3
had his best offensive game of the season. Hit for 25

Escape while you can!
Post #: 350
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2020 Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode