Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wolves 2020

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2020 Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wolves 2020 - 3/2/2021 3:55:00 PM   
twinsfan

Maybe Ant Man will be a late bloomer like Zach LaVine.

Joe Biden is our FDR.
Post #: 876
RE: Wolves 2020 - 3/2/2021 5:55:41 PM   
David Levine

Dane Moore@DaneMooreNBA
Chris Finch said he is confident that the Timberwolves will be ready to start showcasing a new “identity” after the all-star break.

- New rotations
- New offensive system
- New defensive system

Said they started installing those things at practice today.
Post #: 877
RE: Wolves 2020 - 3/2/2021 6:21:41 PM   
twinsfan

Is LaVine playing any defense yet?

Joe Biden is our FDR.
Post #: 878
RE: Wolves 2020 - 3/3/2021 6:44:15 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Dane Moore@DaneMooreNBA
Chris Finch said he is confident that the Timberwolves will be ready to start showcasing a new “identity” after the all-star break.

- New rotations
- New offensive system
- New defensive system

Hopefully, part of that plan will be to not play Layman 30 minutes.

But it might be. He's starting tonight.

< Message edited by JT2 -- 3/3/2021 6:45:23 PM >
Post #: 879
RE: Wolves 2020 - 3/3/2021 7:20:47 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

Dane Moore@DaneMooreNBA

- New rotations
- New offensive system
- New defensive system

I can see why Finch likes him. He’s the only guy on the team that moves without the ball and cuts to the basket.
Post #: 880
RE: Wolves 2020 - 3/4/2021 6:43:16 AM   
Mr. Ed

Ball 19 pts on 7-13 shooting

Edwards 19 pts on 8-23 shooting

Escape while you can!
Post #: 881
RE: Wolves 2020 - 3/4/2021 7:28:21 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

Dane Moore@DaneMooreNBA

- New rotations
- New offensive system
- New defensive system

I can see why Finch likes him. He’s the only guy on the team that moves without the ball and cuts to the basket.

Yeah that’s what I’d say too. On a ‘normal’ team, no Layman shouldn’t be a regular. On this current train wreck of a team, what are the other alternatives? He at least brings some basketball sense and normalcy out there, which sadly, stands out.

Truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like to be challenged.
Post #: 882
RE: Wolves 2020 - 3/4/2021 7:34:49 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

So you’re saying they each scored 19. Stand-off in the rookie battle.

It reminds me of a conversation a long time ago I had with a co-worker who want a basketball fan and questioned why we were all saying a player was playing poorly. He said “You’re all complaining but I look in the paper and see he had 28 points “. So I said let’s take it to the extreme. Let’s say he shouts every shot for the team. Goes 20 for 90 and we lose 100-40. You’d say he had a good game because he scored 40 points.

Truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like to be challenged.
Post #: 883
RE: Wolves 2020 - 3/4/2021 8:01:10 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

So you’re saying they each scored 19. Stand-off in the rookie battle.

It reminds me of a conversation a long time ago I had with a co-worker who want a basketball fan and questioned why we were all saying a player was playing poorly. He said “You’re all complaining but I look in the paper and see he had 28 points “. So I said let’s take it to the extreme. Let’s say he shouts every shot for the team. Goes 20 for 90 and we lose 100-40. You’d say he had a good game because he scored 40 points.

Shooting efficency and inefficiency comparison. It's a valid point you make. Look at the point totals. Look at the highlight reel.
ignore shooting 23 times only making 8 and you're missing the big picture. He's not a good shooter. May improve. May not.
They continue to be a hot mess.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 884
RE: Wolves 2020 - 3/4/2021 9:13:39 AM   
David Levine

It’s not just that Ant is a bad shooter, it’s that he has no self awareness as a shooter.

He made his first 3 last night and then missed his next 9.

There is no way he should be taking TEN 3PAs in a game.
Post #: 885
RE: Wolves 2020 - 3/4/2021 9:36:51 AM   
Brad H

It puzzles me after all these years that the organization still hasn't figured out you have to draft guys that can shoot. It's basketball, right?

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 886
RE: Wolves 2020 - 3/4/2021 11:48:32 AM   
Pauldiercks1

I think Ant has some good skills that could really help that team.
I guess I'm surprised that a coach doesn't put some restrictions on him on what he is allowed to do on the floor.
He seems very effective driving to the basket and making shots why not tell him he's limited to 5-6 (quality shots) a game and otherwise the needs to take it to the rack or pass up the ball.
As he works on his shot maybe at some point you can let him free.

Wouldn't some of this be on the head coaching all season?
If someone like me can see he's jacking up shots whenever he wants and very ineffective doing it, why wouldn't the coach address that very quickly?
I'm still a fan of Ant (kind of have to be I guess) but restrict him to what he does well and make him work on the rest of his game.
Post #: 887
RE: Wolves 2020 - 3/4/2021 11:54:36 AM   
twinsfan

Melo Ball is quickly becoming the most overrated player ever on these boards.

Joe Biden is our FDR.
Post #: 888
RE: Wolves 2020 - 3/4/2021 11:54:56 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pauldiercks1

I guess I'm surprised that a coach doesn't put some restrictions on him on what he is allowed to do on the floor.
He seems very effective driving to the basket and making shots why not tell him he's limited to 5-6 (quality shots) a game and otherwise the needs to take it to the rack or pass up the ball.

If someone like me can see he's jacking up shots whenever he wants and very ineffective doing it, why wouldn't the coach address that very quickly?
I'm still a fan of Ant (kind of have to be I guess) but restrict him to what he does well and make him work on the rest of his game.

We'll see how the coaching aspect plays out. If Finch lives up to reputation, Ant may have a coach who can get him up to his considerable skill level. It's only been a handful of games and he will have an all star break to try implement some things. Ball was the obvious pick at #1 to everyone but Rosas. In Finch, we may have a coach who can keep it from being a Flynn over Curry level fiasco.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 889
RE: Wolves 2020 - 3/4/2021 11:55:33 AM   
Pauldiercks1

By the way last nights game was depressing. I remember 4 straight possessions the Wolves had a ridiculous turnover without getting a shot or really even getting the ball up the court. Kat and Rubio were guilty of stupid plays as well. It made me wonder if we just need to blow up this team. As great as Kat is he just seems soft to me at times, and then he makes a play and I say "wow that was impressive".
Post #: 890
RE: Wolves 2020 - 3/4/2021 11:56:12 AM   
Phil Riewer

SKOR North
@SKORNorth
·
7m
TRADE RUMORS: The #Timberwolves have shown interest in power forwards Aaron Gordon and John Collins. Eyes

@DWolfsonKSTP
notes Minnesota has inquired about Gordon before.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 891
RE: Wolves 2020 - 3/4/2021 11:57:52 AM   
David Levine

quote:

He's very good at driving to the basket. He's, unfortunately, horrible at finishing when he gets there.

My guess is he has very little touch. He routinely blows simple layups, and when he misses his jumpers, they CLANG hard. I can't remember ever seeing him get a "friendly bounce".

I have trouble seeing him ever as anything more than a high usage/low efficiency scorer.
Post #: 892
RE: Wolves 2020 - 3/4/2021 11:58:49 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

SKOR North
@SKORNorth
·
7m
TRADE RUMORS: The #Timberwolves have shown interest in power forwards Aaron Gordon and John Collins. Eyes

@DWolfsonKSTP
notes Minnesota has inquired about Gordon before.

Gordon would be rearranging the deck chairs. Collins would be a disaster.
Post #: 893
RE: Wolves 2020 - 3/4/2021 12:43:36 PM   
twinsfan

I see the tactic here.

Joe Biden is our FDR.
Post #: 894
RE: Wolves 2020 - 3/4/2021 1:03:58 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

We'll see how the coaching aspect plays out. If Finch lives up to reputation, Ant may have a coach who can get him up to his considerable skill level. It's only been a handful of games and he will have an all star break to try implement some things. Ball was the obvious pick at #1 to everyone but Rosas. In Finch, we may have a coach who can keep it from being a Flynn over Curry level fiasco.

Unfortunately he's more "freak athlete" than "skilled basketball player".

He's so late to the game, I worry that he missed out on all those developmental years where you develop skills, instincts and BBIQ.

The idea of taking nuclear athletes and teaching them to play sounds great in theory, but it rarely works out.

One of the main differences between us and, say, the Grizzlies, is we target physical profiles and they target good basketball players - even if they aren't the biggest or fastest (like Clarke, Anderson, Tillman, Allen, Tyus, Bane, etc.)
Post #: 895
RE: Wolves 2020 - 3/4/2021 1:19:13 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Unfortunately he's more "freak athlete" than "skilled basketball player".

He's so late to the game, I worry that he missed out on all those developmental years where you develop skills, instincts and BBIQ.

The idea of taking nuclear athletes and teaching them to play sounds great in theory, but it rarely works out.

One of the main differences between us and, say, the Grizzlies, is we target physical profiles and they target good basketball players - even if they aren't the biggest or fastest (like Clarke, Anderson, Tillman, Allen, Tyus, Bane, etc.)

I am not going to rule out a transition to skill player, given his age, relative inexperience and lack of any quality coaching. Not saying it's going to happen, I just think its a little premature to write him off. He's never going to be as good as Ball, but he could still be a good player.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 896
RE: Wolves 2020 - 3/4/2021 1:33:13 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

It puzzles me after all these years that the organization still hasn't figured out you have to draft guys that can shoot. It's basketball, right?

They liked his grown man body.
Post #: 897
RE: Wolves 2020 - 3/4/2021 1:41:21 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

By the way last nights game was depressing. I remember 4 straight possessions the Wolves had a ridiculous turnover without getting a shot or really even getting the ball up the court. Kat and Rubio were guilty of stupid plays as well. It made me wonder if we just need to blow up this team. As great as Kat is he just seems soft to me at times, and then he makes a play and I say "wow that was impressive".

KAT of course would be the centerpiece in a trade with the assumption you get a lot back in picks. KAT will probably go through 3-4 new head coaches before he gets totally fed up, checks out, and his skills wane.

Then get rid of all or most of these recent high picks who don't know how to play the game. Guaranteed more than a few coaches will think they can get them to reach their potential.

They should look at moving the team as well. There should be a rule that if you are worst team in the league over say 15 years PLUS currently in the bottom 3 or 5, then a move is mandatory.

A new city with cap room galore, a few key role players, and a boatload of picks.
Post #: 898
RE: Wolves 2020 - 3/4/2021 1:49:36 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

KAT of course would be the centerpiece in a trade with the assumption you get a lot back in picks. KAT will probably go through 3-4 new head coaches before he gets totally fed up, checks out, and his skills wane.

Then get rid of all or most of these recent high picks who don't know how to play the game. Guaranteed more than a few coaches will think they can get them to reach their potential.

They should look at moving the team as well. There should be a rule that if you are worst team in the league over say 15 years PLUS currently in the bottom 3 or 5, then a move is mandatory.

A new city with cap room galore, a few key role players, and a boatload of picks.

The NBA could really use a concept like "relegation" like in soccer.
Post #: 899
RE: Wolves 2020 - 3/4/2021 2:39:33 PM   
Matt Lang

Rosas sucks at drafting
Post #: 900
Page:   <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2020 Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode