Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NFL Draft 2021

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/21/2021 12:13:57 PM   
bohumm

The Vikings aren't going to be good this year unless they catch lightening in a bottle like 2017, when their record was better than the team actually was. They need to focus on being good in 2022 or 2023 if they want to build something sustainable.

The Wilfs, though, seem content to be merely a mention now and then, so making the playoffs every other year with no shot to reach the Super Bowl---much less win it---seems fine with them. They will continue with baffling contract extensions and claps on the back after the occasional wild-card week win, and we'll all continue to fight over Kyle Sloter and Oli Udoh, and whether or not defense starts at the corners or in the trenches, and how much time of possession really matters, or how valuable Anthony Barr really is, or......
Post #: 376
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/21/2021 1:08:35 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

The Vikings aren't going to be good this year unless they catch lightening in a bottle like 2017, when their record was better than the team actually was. They need to focus on being good in 2022 or 2023 if they want to build something sustainable.

The Wilfs, though, seem content to be merely a mention now and then, so making the playoffs every other year with no shot to reach the Super Bowl---much less win it---seems fine with them. They will continue with baffling contract extensions and claps on the back after the occasional wild-card week win, and we'll all continue to fight over Kyle Sloter and Oli Udoh, and whether or not defense starts at the corners or in the trenches, and how much time of possession really matters, or how valuable Anthony Barr really is, or......

Are you suggesting a purge right now? Dumping Cousins, Barr and the obvious ones(Rudy and Reiff)

Take our salary cap lumps in 2021. Draft QBOTF.

Maybe not a bad idea.

But, I look at Ratoppenheimer's scenario and think we might be able to catch lightning in a bottle while playing a 3rd Place schedule and getting injured guys back.
Post #: 377
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/21/2021 2:04:23 PM   
TJSweens

The thing about teams that catch lightning in a bottle is that the clock strikes midnight and pumpkins revert to form before the goal is achieved.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 378
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/22/2021 12:51:40 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

The thing about teams that catch lightning in a bottle is that the clock strikes midnight and pumpkins revert to form before the goal is achieved.

You mean like Case Keenum?

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 379
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/22/2021 1:24:34 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

Are you suggesting a purge right now? Dumping Cousins, Barr and the obvious ones(Rudy and Reiff)

Take our salary cap lumps in 2021. Draft QBOTF.

Maybe not a bad idea.

But, I look at Ratoppenheimer's scenario and think we might be able to catch lightning in a bottle while playing a 3rd Place schedule and getting injured guys back.

Bottoming out would be the smart thing to do, which means we won't, at least not in an intelligent way.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 380
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/22/2021 1:27:09 PM   
David F.

I traded down six times before making a pick and then drafted 17 players in that PFF mock tool thingy. What fun! I downloaded the image but can't figure out how to post it.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 381
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/22/2021 1:32:39 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

Interesting discussion; Daniel Jeremiah on Purple Daily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b74IXSgKoC4

DJ for GM!!

Oops

< Message edited by kevinemmer -- 2/23/2021 2:25:47 PM >
Post #: 382
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/22/2021 1:32:47 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

I traded down six times before making a pick and then drafted 17 players in that PFF mock tool thingy. What fun! I downloaded the image but can't figure out how to post it.

I hope they weren't all QB's or 7th rounders. 17 is a lot of rookies. When I traded down to get additional picks I later traded up, to maximize my picks in the 1st 4 rounds, preferable inside of the 1st 100 picks.

For some reason you can't add them to an original post, but if you click quote or reply there are options under the message box for Click here to upload! and Embed picture in post.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 383
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/22/2021 1:52:17 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Did you own the 7th round in a way that would make Spielman jealous.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 384
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/22/2021 2:22:23 PM   
Brad H

quote:

Wake me up when someone gets a better draft grade than mine.

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 385
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/22/2021 2:35:45 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

Thumbnail Image

Might be the offense of the future. QB under center is a pocket QB. One mobile lefthanded QB in backfield and one mobile righthanded QB in the backfield.

Instead of the "Wishbone" it's called the "Dreambone".
Post #: 386
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/22/2021 3:08:44 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Thumbnail Image

Wasn't it Marty that suggested we take nothing but WRs a few years ago?

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 387
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/22/2021 3:19:41 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Thumbnail Image

Just goes to show you the PFF Draft Simulator doesn't deserve much merit. I was looking to the second and third page for a few of those guys after the first three rounds and they still rated them A+ picks. And it doesn't even list quarterback as a position of need for the Vikings.

Post #: 388
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/22/2021 3:22:00 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

No I had a lot of 4th and 5th rounders.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 389
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/22/2021 4:03:03 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thumbnail Image

Just goes to show you the PFF Draft Simulator doesn't deserve much merit. I was looking to the second and third page for a few of those guys after the first three rounds and they still rated them A+ picks. And it doesn't even list quarterback as a position of need for the Vikings.

IMHO. No demonstration needed. all you needed to say was PFF and I already knew it had no merit.

Post #: 390
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/22/2021 4:51:05 PM   
Bill Jandro

https://thevikingage.com/2021/02/20/minnesota-vikings-nfl-draft-rick-spielman/

5 NFL Draft habits Rick Spielman needs to change in 2021

This article is spot on.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 391
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/22/2021 5:22:23 PM   
Murph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

This article is spot on.

Spot on +1

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 392
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/22/2021 6:01:03 PM   
Brad H

One thing is for certain. With the lack of flexibility we have in free agency as a result of being in cap hell, our GM had better be drafting for need this off-season. Anything outside of needs should be heavily scrutinized. He got us into the mess. Now he needs to find a way out of it.

Post #: 393
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/22/2021 6:09:26 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

This article is spot on.

Spot on +1

#3 habit is stupid. Not drafting any Gophers? Until this past season there weren't really any good Gophers to draft in the past decade.

Post #: 394
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/22/2021 6:20:21 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thumbnail Image

IMHO. No demonstration needed. all you needed to say was PFF and I already knew it had no merit.

The draft tool is just a fun thing they threw together to give people some amusement and spam their name around. The draft grades have nothing to do with PFF grades for players during games.

Post #: 395
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/22/2021 11:06:23 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Finished DE/EDGE breakdowns. My top 5:

Kwity Paye- 3 down player
Jaelan Phillips- Great feet
Carlos Basham- Powerful
Ronnie Perkins- Long arms/active
Joseph Ossai- Heavy handed

Leber on Twitter

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 396
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/23/2021 8:53:12 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I'm the biggest Reiff advocate on #VikingsTwitter and I hate to make him walk, but if you want to find a long-term LT, this is the draft to do it.

Insane amount of 1st/2nd round prospects this year.

Purple Post on Twitter

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 397
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/23/2021 10:03:04 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I'm the biggest Reiff advocate on #VikingsTwitter and I hate to make him walk, but if you want to find a long-term LT, this is the draft to do it.

Purple Post on Twitter

we have cheap young tackles...what we need is a couple of solid guards....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 398
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/23/2021 10:13:50 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No I had a lot of 4th and 5th rounders.

Here's one where I paid attention and used a trade value chart. Super fun!

Draft

Post #: 399
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/23/2021 11:18:36 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Purple Post on Twitter

we have cheap young tackles...what we need is a couple of solid guards....

Reiff had a really good year last season. If he was willing to take another pay cut with incentives, I would re-sign him. Then I would look for guards who could start. Maybe free agency would be the best idea for that. I like the 3 tech draft, so perhaps we could trade back in the first, (hopefully picking up a late second rounder) select the best remaining 3 tech or edge rusher and do it again in the second with the position that was not addressed in the first.

Sorry. I'm rambling. I agree with you Ratoppenheimer.

Post #: 400
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode