Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Free Agency 2021

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2021 Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/10/2021 11:07:01 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

You're both right, it was a combination of the Bucs' players in their 2ndary, and up front heavily studied Mahome's tendencies.

It wasn't really elite players.

You could have plugged Barr or Kendricks in there, and they would have been making plays. Stick Griffin or Hunter, or Joseph of 2 years ago, and they would have been making plays with the Bucs.

Stick Rhodes, or even Waynes in there, have them do mega studying of Mahome's tendencies, and with the pressure up front, they would have been making plays in the SB.

Nobody thinks it is either one or the other.

Well ... except for Brad.

Not true. It works in concert. But if you can't cover, you got now shot in this era.

I know this is argument is just self-amusement for you ... it's like your branding or a logo.

Obviously, both DL and Corners depend on each other ...

Obviously, a good D needs both good DL and good CBs.

For my money, you can not beat a good passing offense in the playoffs without solid pressure, no matter how good your CBs are.
Post #: 176
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/10/2021 1:43:06 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

To have an elite defense it's both.

And NE had Chandler Jones who has been one of the most prolific sack artists in the NFL. Plenty of other NE lineman who were impactful, it wasn't all CB play.

Chandler is a rush-edge linebacker. Kind of a hybrid player. Rarely plays with his hand in the dirt.

NE ran a 3-4 and Arizona, starting in 2018, ran a 4-3 where Jones played end. Argue semantics all you want but to say NE's defensive excellence was predicated solely on CB play is simply false.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 177
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/10/2021 2:27:41 PM   
Mark Anderson

Kevin Zeitler is available.
Post #: 178
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/10/2021 2:33:43 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Kevin Zeitler is available.

Wow, he could really help us at guard. So that rules him out.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 179
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/11/2021 10:45:07 AM   
Phil Riewer

SKOR North
@SKORNorth
·
1m
The Vikings have had dialogue with offensive lineman Orlando Brown Jr., per
@DWolfsonKSTP
. Eyes

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 180
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/11/2021 11:55:18 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

SKOR North
@SKORNorth
·
1m
The Vikings have had dialogue with offensive lineman Orlando Brown Jr., per
@DWolfsonKSTP
. Eyes

Brown is not very athletic. Just saying. He was supposed to be a first round selection until the combine where he bombed out. He was selected in the third round and has not been a bad player, if my memory serves me correctly. Nevertheless, we prefer the athletic o-linemen so we'll have to see how serious they are about acquiring him.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 181
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/11/2021 12:01:27 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Watching the Saints having to gut their roster is hilarious. And they’re still about $25.6 mil over the cap.

(Jared Barsness on Twitter)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 182
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/11/2021 12:03:25 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Watching the Saints having to gut their roster is hilarious. And they’re still about $25.6 mil over the cap.

Horrible GM.

Post #: 183
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/11/2021 2:32:33 PM   
ratoppenheimer

Courtney Cronin@CourtneyRCronin
As most of you who listen to me struggle through creation of on-the-fly pie charts on
@Purple_Insider
know, math is not my strong suit. But by my calculations, here's where the Vikings are cap-wise.
Cap space: $10,105,584
Offense: $75,602,905
Defense: $88,180,380
ST: $2,837,667

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 184
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/11/2021 2:33:37 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

Horrible GM.

didn't they just franchise someone?....

Post #: 185
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/11/2021 4:23:47 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I was scratching my head about Orlando Brown and then I found this:

Trading first rounder and more for Orlando Brown Jr. could make a lot of sense for a...

(1) gap heavy team
(2) with money to burn
(3) ready to contend now
(4) with zero other options at tackle.

The Vikings are none of those things.

(Nick Olson on Twitter)

I don't believe the Vikings are serious about Brown. Just one of the teams doing their due diligence by inquiring what the price is.

Post #: 186
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/12/2021 5:28:42 AM   
ratoppenheimer

Linval Joseph's Instagram Hinting at a Vikings Reunion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvTShVToxn0

Post #: 187
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/12/2021 6:22:06 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

Horrible GM.

The Saints are 49-15 over the past four years, with four division titles. That's the kind of horrible I can get behind. They haven't gone worse than 7-9 since 2005.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 3/12/2021 6:24:13 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 188
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/12/2021 7:24:53 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Horrible GM.

The Saints are 49-15 over the past four years, with four division titles. That's the kind of horrible I can get behind. They haven't gone worse than 7-9 since 2005.

Except they went more than all in and will suffer now.

Post #: 189
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/12/2021 8:14:48 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Horrible GM.

There's a small window of opportunity in football to win it all. New England was the exception, not the rule. If you could give me an 0-16 record every two years with a Super Bowl win in between, I'd take that for the rest of my life. New Orleans has been one of the more consistent organizations in the league over the past 15 years.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 3/12/2021 8:16:38 AM >

Post #: 190
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/12/2021 8:54:40 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Horrible GM.

There's a small window of opportunity in football to win it all. New England was the exception, not the rule. If you could give me an 0-16 record every two years with a Super Bowl win in between, I'd take that for the rest of my life. New Orleans has been one of the more consistent organizations in the league over the past 15 years.

agreed. I am over 50. Win a Super Bowl and they could go 0-48 after and I would still be smiling.

1987 and 1991 was a long time ago for a winner.
Post #: 191
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/12/2021 8:57:36 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Horrible GM.

agreed. I am over 50. Win a Super Bowl and they could go 0-48 after and I would still be smiling.

"To Gaetti... and for the first time ever the Minnesota Twins are the world champions." Al Michaels.

I could be senile as hell and never forget that.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 3/12/2021 9:00:47 AM >

Post #: 192
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/12/2021 8:59:08 AM   
Pauldiercks1

51 here and yeah more teams should go all in. If you have a QB that you feel can possibly get you a SB why not go all in. If you have to go 1-15 for two years and regroup big deal. Id much rather be a 1-15 team that's building on something than an 7-9 to 9-7 team sitting in mediocrity for years saying at least we beat the Packers once this year. That does nothing for me.
Post #: 193
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/12/2021 9:14:42 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Horrible GM.

Don't forget the Lynx
Post #: 194
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/12/2021 9:15:12 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pauldiercks1

51 here and yeah more teams should go all in. If you have a QB that you feel can possibly get you a SB why not go all in. If you have to go 1-15 for two years and regroup big deal. Id much rather be a 1-15 team that's building on something than an 7-9 to 9-7 team sitting in mediocrity for years saying at least we beat the Packers once this year. That does nothing for me.

On 10/5/98, the Moss coming out party vs GB, they showed a stat and it was something like the all-time Minn-GB W/L record was a tie and even the total points was a near tie. I forget the details but it was amazing how 'equal' the teams were, but of course Minn lacks a SB win.

At least we can say we were the last (1969) real NFL champion before the league watered itself down with the bogus AFL-NFL merger!
Post #: 195
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/12/2021 9:46:35 AM   
The Happy Norseman

I just read that Shamar Stephen has the 8th(!) highest cap hit for the Vikings. That's just embarrassing. We dumped Rudy and Reiff, which was expected. Hopefully Stephen is next. We'll most likely rework Harrison Smith's deal, and ideally Barr's as well. We'll definitely have some money to work with in FA and I suspect a lot of vets will be willing to sign cheaper 1 year deals so they can get better money next year when things (hopefully) have gone back to normal. With the lowered cap teams are cutting a lot of big name players, which might really work out in the Vikings favor. It's not unrealistic to think that RS might sign a couple of decent, 2nd-tier guys like Geno Atkins and Matt Feiler or Kevin Zietler that could make a huge difference for the upcoming season. Hope springs eternal.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 196
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/12/2021 10:03:51 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Horrible GM.

Good for them.

So they have a down year or two while they restock with high draft picks.

I'd much rather do it that way than attempt to be constantly mediocre.
Post #: 197
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/12/2021 11:02:23 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Horrible GM.

Good for them.

Absolutely.

Tangentially, everybody brings up NE but for years Pittsburgh had consistent success. Through whatever combination of scouting/drafting, scheme, coaching, they were able to field talented starters but also good backups. Their backups stepped in when starters were injured andl also when starters were released or traded. They had a couple of talented players force their way out, and are now more middle of the pack for whatever reasons.

Back to the topic, Spielman is IMO now more concerned about his job than creating a long-term plan for success. We peaked and can easily slide to years of mediocrity unless he changes his MO. The door is open for 'bold' decisions.
Post #: 198
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/12/2021 11:10:34 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Horrible GM.

Good for them.

Absolutely.

Tangentially, everybody brings up NE but for years Pittsburgh had consistent success. Through whatever combination of scouting/drafting, scheme, coaching, they were able to field talented starters but also good backups. Their backups stepped in when starters were injured andl also when starters were released or traded. They had a couple of talented players force their way out, and are now more middle of the pack for whatever reasons.

Back to the topic, Spielman is IMO now more concerned about his job than creating a long-term plan for success. We peaked and can easily slide to years of mediocrity unless he changes his MO. The door is open for 'bold' decisions.

The Steelers have been a great organization. Only three head coaches since 1969. Combined, they have a 60% winning % & 6 Superbowl victories.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 199
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/12/2021 12:16:51 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

I just read that Shamar Stephen has the 8th(!) highest cap hit for the Vikings. That's just embarrassing. We dumped Rudy and Reiff, which was expected. Hopefully Stephen is next. We'll most likely rework Harrison Smith's deal, and ideally Barr's as well. We'll definitely have some money to work with in FA and I suspect a lot of vets will be willing to sign cheaper 1 year deals so they can get better money next year when things (hopefully) have gone back to normal. With the lowered cap teams are cutting a lot of big name players, which might really work out in the Vikings favor. It's not unrealistic to think that RS might sign a couple of decent, 2nd-tier guys like Geno Atkins and Matt Feiler or Kevin Zietler that could make a huge difference for the upcoming season. Hope springs eternal.

Linval for Stephen could be a even swap(cap wise) and win for us on the field.
Post #: 200
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2021 Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode