Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training Page: <<   < prev  11 12 13 [14] 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training - 3/31/2021 12:32:53 PM   
bstinger

We can't have nice things.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 326
RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training - 3/31/2021 12:36:54 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: shakeywalton

Not a single regular season game has been played yet and this board has already called off the season.

Why am I not surprised

Have you heard about the Vikings OLine?

Dakota Dozier, statistically one of the worst-rated o-lineman all year is re-signed. Rejoice!!

Management is messed up.

Is it August?
Post #: 327
RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training - 3/31/2021 12:43:30 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not a single regular season game has been played yet and this board has already called off the season.

Why am I not surprised

Dakota Dozier, statistically one of the worst-rated o-lineman all year is re-signed. Rejoice!!

Management is messed up.

Is it August?

Still time to watch management trade down for a few more late round offensive linemen picks, after taking d-backs /d-linemen in the early rounds.

As noted on the Vikes thread, there must be the mindset they're going to go for winning 10-7/13-10 type games.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 328
RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training - 3/31/2021 12:43:31 PM  3 votes
Mark Anderson

quote:

It's easy to come in and make fun of opinions without giving your own.

Have fun with that.

This board is dying with the lack of posts. IDK the reasons for not being on here by others.

Maybe it's too negative. I can always rant at them without posting an opinion in here.

I won't splash around in unicorn dreams of wonder-ball and homer-ism until this franchise does more than whimper out of the postseason.

They didn't do enough this year either. And there are many who think standing pat is a-ok. Not with me.

Here's what has been said on Vikings board.

1) Nobody wants to play for a toxic dinosaur. Weatherly and Alexander came back.

2) We have no cap room, plus toxic dinosaur. More supposed mismanagement: Tomlinson, Peterson, Woods, Weatherly, Alexander

3) We are mortgaging the future with the restructures: No. Cap is going to go up a lot. Possibly another 100M when the new TV deals kick in.

Yeah. OLine is a problem. I think we can get it fixed in draft and possible trades.
Post #: 329
RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training - 3/31/2021 12:46:10 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why am I not surprised

Management is messed up.

Is it August?

Still time to watch management trade down for a few more late round offensive linemen picks, after taking d-backs /d-linemen in the early rounds.

As noted on the Vikes thread, there must be the mindset they're going to go for winning 10-7/13-10 type games.

We averaged over 20 points with the bad OLine.

If nothing has changed(OLine wise) by July/August, I will eat my crow.
Post #: 330
RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training - 3/31/2021 12:46:47 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

Have fun with that.

This board is dying with the lack of posts. IDK the reasons for not being on here by others.

Maybe it's too negative. I can always rant at them without posting an opinion in here.

I won't splash around in unicorn dreams of wonder-ball and homer-ism until this franchise does more than whimper out of the postseason.

They didn't do enough this year either. And there are many who think standing pat is a-ok. Not with me.

1) Nobody wants to play for a toxic dinosaur. Weatherly and Alexander came back.

2) We have no cap room, plus toxic dinosaur. More supposed mismanagement: Tomlinson, Peterson, Woods, Weatherly, Alexander

3) We are mortgaging the future with the restructures: No. Cap is going to go up a lot. Possibly another 100M when the new TV deals kick in.

Yeah. OLine is a problem. I think we can get it fixed in draft and possible trades.

It could be fixed

Past history doesn't fill me with much confidence.

GO WILD

Escape while you can!
Post #: 331
RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training - 3/31/2021 12:49:12 PM   
TJSweens

Imagine, people posting an opinion in a forum that exists for the purpose of expressing opinions. Sometimes opinions are less than positive. Like Dozier. The Twins went into last offseason with a need to upgrade the rotation and bullpen and find a replacement for Eddie Rosario. These were absolute musts if they were to take the next step and actually win a few playoff games. What they did:

SP: Signed JA Happ, the very definition of an old back of the rotation starter and Matt Shoemaker, who in the last 4 years combined has amassed the equivalent of 1 years worth of starts. Fra-gee-lay.

BP: Lost May, Romo and Clippard. Made one meaningful signing in Colome and rolled the dice on Robles who had an ERA of 10.26 last year.

LF: The Twins let Rosario walk with the belief that one of Rooker, Kirilloff or Larnach would take over. All the shiny coins got sent to AAA supposedly to improve defensively. I'm sure we will all be amazed at the leaps and bounds by which they improve in the field by the time the service time deadline passes.

The Twins ended last year as a playoff team that needed to make adjustments to get to the next level. Do any of these moves inspire people to believe they accomplished that goal?

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 332
RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training - 3/31/2021 12:50:15 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Have fun with that.

It could be fixed

Past history doesn't fill me with much confidence.

GO WILD

You got me there.

I think Speilman and Zimmer's backs are against the wall. I think they pull out all the stops to win and keep their jobs.
Post #: 333
RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training - 3/31/2021 12:53:02 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

The Twins ended last year as a playoff team that needed to make adjustments to get to the next level. Do any of these moves inspire people to believe they accomplished that goal?

If you're wearing Twins-colored glasses, yes.

If you're not paying attention to details, yes.

If you're grazing in the Twins' pasture of settling for division contention, yes.

I fully understand being optimistic for the start of the season. Simmons could make them better defensively. That'll be good. I guess.

JMO, that really wasn't that big of a problem until Polanco tried playing the Houston series with both hands around his throat and Arraez decided to play like a rookie in the playoffs.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 334
RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training - 3/31/2021 12:57:57 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Imagine, people posting an opinion in a forum that exists for the purpose of expressing opinions. Sometimes opinions are less than positive. Like Dozier. The Twins went into last offseason with a need to upgrade the rotation and bullpen and find a replacement for Eddie Rosario. These were absolute musts if they were to take the next step and actually win a few playoff games. What they did:

SP: Signed JA Happ, the very definition of an old back of the rotation starter and Matt Shoemaker, who in the last 4 years combined has amassed the equivalent of 1 years worth of starts. Fra-gee-lay.

BP: Lost May, Romo and Clippard. Made one meaningful signing in Colome and rolled the dice on Robles who had an ERA of 10.26 last year.

LF: The Twins let Rosario walk with the belief that one of Rooker, Kirilloff or Larnach would take over. All the shiny coins got sent to AAA supposedly to improve defensively. I'm sure we will all be amazed at the leaps and bounds by which they improve in the field by the time the service time deadline passes.

Can Donaldson stay healthy? Can he still be a difference maker if he does?
Post #: 335
RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training - 3/31/2021 1:04:35 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

Huge question.

If not, you're looking at Arraez/Turtle at third.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 336
RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training - 3/31/2021 1:07:40 PM   
TJSweens

Simmons was a good move IMO. Polanco and Arraez were in the lower half of the league defensively at their positions. I still think the adage that you need to be strong defensively up the middle still holds. Simmons is also a low strikeout with a decent OBP hitter that the lineup has few of.

But yeah, the much bigger priorities were LF, where we now have a journeyman minor leaguer. Bullpen, where even the returning guys are question marks. Starting rotation, where if anything, we have downgraded.

To top it all off the season starts tomorrow. There is no more offseason for making trades and signing free agents. This is it. The great HOPE is that the hitters reboot now that the games mean something, that Rogers and Duffy shake off ST and regain peak form and that Johnson has indeed worked his magic and created some silk purses out of this year's collection of sows ears.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 337
RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training - 3/31/2021 1:07:55 PM   
Mr. Ed

Two biggest losses in 2020 were Rowson and Shelton

What did Bell have for influence on Rocco? We'll see now that ???? is the new bench coach. Sux Bell died. Awful

Maybe Rocco will manage differently this year vs the sprint season. He killed the bullpen and played the bench guys (adrianza/cave/wade) way too much last year, even at "full strength".

Escape while you can!
Post #: 338
RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training - 3/31/2021 1:08:46 PM   
TJSweens

Sure hope Donaldson stays healthy. He is still a difference maker when he is not injured.

Post #: 339
RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training - 3/31/2021 1:09:27 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Simmons was a good move IMO. Polanco and Arraez were in the lower half of the league defensively at their positions. I still think the adage that you need to be strong defensively up the middle still holds. Simmons is also a low strikeout with a decent OBP hitter that the lineup has few of.

But yeah, the much bigger priorities were LF, where we now have a journeyman minor leaguer. Bullpen, where even the returning guys are question marks. Starting rotation, where if anything, we have downgraded.

To top it all off the season starts tomorrow. There is no more offseason for making trades and signing free agents. This is it. The great HOPE is that the hitters reboot now that the games mean something, that Rogers and Duffy shake off ST and regain peak form and that Johnson has indeed worked his magic and created some silk purses out of this year's collection of sows ears.

Greene and Robertson are still unsigned FA bullpen guys.
Could always go get two more guys likely past their prime/done.

Forbid they actually developed ANY younger pitchers. Pathetic for having taken over that long ago.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 340
RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training - 3/31/2021 1:10:44 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

Forbid they actually developed ANY younger pitchers. Pathetic for having taken over that long ago.

Rocco and the Twins were absolutely horrible in employing the shift and batting against it last year.

Maybe Simmons changes some of that. on both sides.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 341
RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training - 3/31/2021 1:13:32 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

What did Bell have for influence on Rocco? We'll see now that ???? is the new bench coach. Sux Bell died. Awful

Maybe Rocco will manage differently this year vs the sprint season. He killed the bullpen and played the bench guys (adrianza/cave/wade) way too much last year, even at "full strength".

I really hope the decline last year had more to do with the fluky start stop start sequence last year. Rowson was a great hitting coach here, but a lot of players at that time gave a lot of credit to Edgar Valeria too. Sano said Valeria was the one that got him straightened out in 2019.

Post #: 342
RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training - 3/31/2021 1:17:22 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

I really hope the decline last year had more to do with the fluky start stop start sequence last year. Rowson was a great hitting coach here, but a lot of players at that time gave a lot of credit to Edgar Valeria too. Sano said Valeria was the one that got him straightened out in 2019.

Perhaps. Valeria has work to do with Sano. 2020 was bad, ST repeating bad habits and approach.
Kepler
Buxton
Garver

Lousy springs at the plate. Not encouraging to me. Especially those that were lousy last year. Garver isn't hurt. What will be the excuse this time?

Escape while you can!
Post #: 343
RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training - 3/31/2021 1:18:59 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Teams do bring up pitchers in their early 20's and seem to have success. The Twins brought up Berrios at 22 and it worked out pretty well. Balazovic is 22, Canterino and Duran are both 23. Just sayin.

Post #: 344
RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training - 3/31/2021 1:21:06 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Perhaps. Valeria has work to do with Sano. 2020 was bad, ST repeating bad habits and approach.
Kepler
Buxton
Garver

Lousy springs at the plate. Not encouraging to me. Especially those that were lousy last year. Garver isn't hurt. What will be the excuse this time?

Exhaustion from the double life of being a major league catcher and a male prostitute?

Post #: 345
RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training - 3/31/2021 1:25:09 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

Teams do bring up pitchers in their early 20's and seem to have success. The Twins brought up Berrios at 22 and it worked out pretty well. Balazovic is 22, Canterino and Duran are both 23. Just sayin.

Duran got 2 innings in the bigs last year.

Zero this spring

Who's the next big thing after Alcala in the bullpen? Hackimer and a gimmick motion? Oh boy,another gimmick motion experiment.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 346
RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training - 3/31/2021 2:23:29 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

Huge question.

If not, you're looking at Arraez/Turtle at third.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 347
RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training - 3/31/2021 3:04:50 PM   
shakeywalton

If Donaldson goes down for any extended period Astudillo will not be the long-term replacement. Willians Astudillo is almost the perfect 26th man on an MLB roster. He can hit and he can "Fill In" at multiple positions defensively without embarrassing himself or the team. He's also a GREAT teammate according to all reports (his teammates love him). He isn't expected to play a full-time position. My guess is many here hated Randy Bush back in the day.

Similar takes here around Dobnak. The kid has pitched 75 ML innings with a 3.12 ERA. He's still only 26 years old yet many here want to dump him. I know he had a rough going in 2020 but if anyone watched what actually happened, it began with the extreme shifts the Twins employ. I recall one of his early bad outings Dobnak gave up 3-5 routine ground balls that went as hits. He then lost his control and continued to struggle for the next 4-5 starts. Nobody is claiming he will become a star but IMO he's a decent MLB pitcher who at 26 years of age still have room to get better.

And drinking the kool-aid... LOL. If you don't enjoy the team and the sport why watch it? Why pay attention?
Post #: 348
RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training - 3/31/2021 3:15:53 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

If Donaldson goes down for any extended period Astudillo will not be the long-term replacement.

Arraez?

Blankenhorn?

Who will be the long term if Donaldson is out. It was Adrianza 23 times in 60 games last year. He's gone

Escape while you can!
Post #: 349
RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training - 3/31/2021 3:36:52 PM   
shakeywalton

quote:

quote:

If Donaldson goes down for any extended period Astudillo will not be the long-term replacement.

Arraez?

Blankenhorn?

Who will be the long term if Donaldson is out. It was Adrianza 23 times in 60 games last year. He's gone

My guess is if it isn't season long, it'd be Arraez or possibly Blankenhorn. If it was a season ending injury they'd move Sano back. He's even played some 3B this spring. Infield depth is probably the weakest area in the Twins system.

I don't believe Astudillo will ever be asked to man a day-to-day position. It would diminish his value.
Post #: 350
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 13 [14] 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2021 Spring Training Page: <<   < prev  11 12 13 [14] 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode