Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 8/10/2021 9:52:16 AM   
stfrank

Does anybody know, do we keep his rights for another year if he does go back to the KHL?
Or, can he go back and then return as a FA?
I already don't like his agent and if this keeps up I have to believe KK has more to do with it than is letting on. If that is the case, I'm slowly souring on him despite his talent. The last thing we need in our revamped locker room is a prima-donna that is all about the money.
Post #: 251
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 8/10/2021 10:10:30 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank
Does anybody know, do we keep his rights for another year if he does go back to the KHL?
I already don't like his agent and if this keeps up I have to believe KK has more to do with it than is letting on. If that is the case, I'm slowly souring on him despite his talent. The last thing we need in our revamped locker room is a prima-donna that is all about the money.

If Kaprizov signs with a KHL team, his NHL status freezes. He doesn't have enough service time to be a free agent and the Wild retain his rights. This is just a negotiating ploy IMO. Kaprizov's goal is to get to a maximum NHL payday as soon as possible, signing with the KHL will only delay that process.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 252
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 8/10/2021 3:36:57 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

If Kaprizov signs with a KHL team, his NHL status freezes. He doesn't have enough service time to be a free agent and the Wild retain his rights. This is just a negotiating ploy IMO. Kaprizov's goal is to get to a maximum NHL payday as soon as possible, signing with the KHL will only delay that process.

I guess "Dollar Bill Kirill" is the perfect nickname after all.
Post #: 253
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 8/10/2021 3:44:12 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

I still hate that nickname and I think Dumba should be traded for pushing it.

I also read that the KHL teams basically have a $12 million salary cap. Pretty hard to shoehorn a $10 million contract into that payroll structure.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 254
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 8/10/2021 8:05:11 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I also read that the KHL teams basically have a $12 million salary cap. Pretty hard to shoehorn a $10 million contract into that payroll structure.

If KK’s agent thinks Guerin isn’t aware of that, then he’s an idiota.
Post #: 255
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 8/10/2021 8:32:54 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If KK’s agent thinks Guerin isn’t aware of that, then he’s an idiota.

I think Guerin should offer a 5 year deal for $7-8 million and tell him that is my last offer, take it or have fun in the KHL.
If Kirill really wants to make it to a max payday in the NHL the KHL isn't going to help him at all.
Post #: 256
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 8/11/2021 11:00:26 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

I don't think he is all about the money. I think he would just rather play somewhere else. In lieu of playing somewhere else than he becomes all about the money trying to force the Wild's hand on giving him an option to free agency as quickly as possible.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/11/2021 11:06:33 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 257
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 8/11/2021 11:04:08 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Horrible nickname agreed.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 258
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 8/11/2021 11:10:37 AM   
kgdabom

Only a blind man couldn't see that Kaprizov's preference is to play somewhere other than Minnesota. He knows his talent and bet on himself with the initial contract. After his ROY winning season if Minnesota wants to keep him they will have to pay him more than what he would accept from his preferred destination wherever that might be.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 259
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 8/11/2021 11:26:38 AM   
TJSweens

Kaprizov's preference is to make the most money he can, as soon as he can. This isn't about location.

Post #: 260
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 8/11/2021 3:24:16 PM   
stfrank

Listening to "Worse seat in the house" with LaPanther and Russo talk about KK. Russo still thinks that crap about the KHL is all smoke created by his agent. All his agent is doing is pissing off BG and making KK look bad to everybody over here in the US. Russo says this will get done at some point, and that from what he has heard Kirill still plans on playing for the Wild this season.
Post #: 261
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 8/11/2021 3:34:28 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Listening to "Worse seat in the house" with LaPanther and Russo talk about KK. Russo still thinks that crap about the KHL is all smoke created by his agent. All his agent is doing is pissing off BG and making KK look bad to everybody over here in the US. Russo says this will get done at some point, and that from what he has heard Kirill still plans on playing for the Wild this season.

My guess is that Billy will lock down Fiala first. Something tells me that if KK signs first, Fiala will jack up his asking price based on Kaprizov's salary. In the end, I have a feeling KK will accept more years than he wanted to and Billy will have to pay more per year than he wanted to.

And I agree with Russo. Ain't no way, no how Kaprizov is playing in Russia this year.

Post #: 262
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 8/11/2021 3:47:47 PM   
stfrank

Kirill has been a royal pain since they drafted him and will always be for as long as we have him when it comes to his contract.
If he becomes the true superstar he could, it may all be worth it.
If we have already seen his ceiling, maybe not.
He has only played 55 NHL games and a large majority of them were against the bottom teams in the league.
When Vegas went after him they were able to pretty much shut him down.
I really hope BG makes one last offer the last week of August and says take it or enjoy the KHL just to call his bluff.
Post #: 263
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 8/11/2021 3:55:26 PM   
TJSweens

The problem is that he keeps changing agents. The last one screwed it up for him by getting to sign the 3 year KHL deal. It set him way back in establishing his NHL service time. This most recent agent is the one who maneuvered Panarin into an $11.6 million per year deal. He is trying to follow the same playbook with Guerin. The problem is that it worked so well with the Panarin contract, nobody else is willing to give a bridge deal like that one again.

Post #: 264
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 8/11/2021 4:03:24 PM   
stfrank

quote:

The problem is that he keeps changing agents. The last one screwed it up for him by getting to sign the 3 year KHL deal. It set him way back in establishing his NHL service time. This most recent agent is the one who maneuvered Panarin into an $11.6 million per year deal. He is trying to follow the same playbook with Guerin. The problem is that it worked so well with the Panarin contract, nobody else is willing to give a bridge deal like that one again.

And Panarin played in a lot more games in the NHL before getting that sweetheart bridge deal. That playbook isn't going to work out well for his client this time around. It could land him in the KHL this season and make it even harder to get that big contract in the NHL in the future.
Post #: 265
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 8/11/2021 4:21:45 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

And Panarin played in a lot more games in the NHL before getting that sweetheart bridge deal. That playbook isn't going to work out well for his client this time around. It could land him in the KHL this season and make it even harder to get that big contract in the NHL in the future.

It's not going to land him in the KHL. Kaprizov will change agents again before he goes back to the KHL.

Post #: 266
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 8/11/2021 5:33:07 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Kaprizov's preference is to make the most money he can, as soon as he can. This isn't about location.

I'm 99.9% certain he would rather play somewhere else. Not 100%.
His always wanting to sign the shortest deal possible proves it to me. That's risky for somebody wanting to make the most money possible because injuries do happen.
You know I'm not a negative Nelly type, but I'll be very surprised if he plays for Minnesota more than 3 more years.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/11/2021 5:40:09 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 267
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 8/11/2021 7:42:08 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

His always wanting to sign the shortest deal possible proves it to me. That's risky for somebody wanting to make the most money possible because injuries do happen.
You know I'm not a negative Nelly type, but I'll be very surprised if he plays for Minnesota more than 3 more years.

That sounds about right to me. He will sign a 4-5 year deal and want more $$ within 3. Hopefully by then he will be a star that can net us numerous 1st round picks and top end players in a trade. By then we will be just about out of cap hell too.

< Message edited by stfrank -- 8/11/2021 7:43:44 PM >
Post #: 268
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 8/11/2021 9:43:51 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

That sounds about right to me. He will sign a 4-5 year deal and want more $$ within 3. Hopefully by then he will be a star that can net us numerous 1st round picks and top end players in a trade. By then we will be just about out of cap hell too.

A four year deal gets the Wild to the end of the big cap hits from Parise and Suter. Kaprizov's agent is the one pushing the bridge contract as a means to a bigger payday. It's his go to strategy. It's how he got Panerin his big payday with his same team. Not somewhere else.

Post #: 269
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 8/12/2021 9:54:42 AM   
Jeff Jesser

I'm not worried about KK signing. I more worried about over paying for KF. That seems like a bigger likely hood to me.
Post #: 270
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 8/12/2021 10:01:25 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

I'm not worried about KK signing. I more worried about over paying for KF. That seems like a bigger likely hood to me.

Agreed. That's why I think Billy will try to nail Fiala down quickly. I wouldn't be completely shocked if Fiala gets moved because of unrealistic demands.

Post #: 271
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 8/12/2021 10:33:02 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Yeap. KF has always had that feel of "i'm really good at hockey, thank God". While KK has had that feel of "I love hockey". Agents will be agents. That'll never change.
Post #: 272
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 8/12/2021 10:51:09 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Yeap. KF has always had that feel of "i'm really good at hockey, thank God". While KK has had that feel of "I love hockey". Agents will be agents. That'll never change.

I have the feeling that if the Wild announced a $9 million/yr deal with KK, Fiala would jack up his demand. That's, no doubt, why the Wild took the rarely used step of the team filing arbitration. They either work something out in the next five days or an arbitrator will decide what Fiala gets.

Post #: 273
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 8/12/2021 12:05:06 PM   
bstinger

I've heard Russo mention this a few times lately. I haven't seen it mentioned here so I'll pass it on.

He's saying that the Wild played a pretty weak schedule last year in their "bubble". He's concerned that some numbers were inflated because of the weak competition. He said we had to overpay Ek because of it and both Fiala and KK are trying to cash in on it as well. He's saying if we'd played the whole league their productivity would likely not have been as good and therefore they'd be cheaper.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 274
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 8/16/2021 11:48:08 AM   
TJSweens

Fiala signs a one year contract for $5.1 million. He will be an RFA for one more year after this contract expires.

Post #: 275
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode