Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft Page: <<   < prev  10 11 12 [13] 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 9/8/2021 4:16:29 PM   
stfrank

Will he sign or will we be calling him Never will Kirill?
Post #: 301
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 9/9/2021 8:52:27 AM   
TJSweens

I guess Russo said that even though they agreed on the total dollars and years, the details would continue to drag the process out.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 302
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 9/13/2021 8:21:45 AM   
twinsfan

Check out the ticket pricing for the game at Target Field. Preposterous!!

https://www.mlb.com/twins/tickets/events/2022-winter-classic/pricing-map

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 303
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 9/13/2021 10:40:24 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Check out the ticket pricing for the game at Target Field. Preposterous!!

https://www.mlb.com/twins/tickets/events/2022-winter-classic/pricing-map

No thanks.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 304
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 9/13/2021 11:25:26 AM   
TJSweens

Just hurry up and get Kaprizov signed. Couldn't care less about the prestige of the Winter Classic. Just get your damn star player signed and get ready for training camp.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 305
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 9/13/2021 4:06:57 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Just hurry up and get Kaprizov signed. Couldn't care less about the prestige of the Winter Classic. Just get your damn star player signed and get ready for training camp.

Exactly!
The Winter Classic is a waste of time and money. Basically a throw away game on poor ice in poor conditions. I may watch on TV, but I would never go in person.
Post #: 306
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 9/14/2021 11:23:45 AM   
David Levine

We’ve hit a critical juncture in the contentious, once-again silent contract negotiations between Kirill Kaprizov and the Minnesota Wild.

Training camp opens next Thursday, the two sides haven’t spoken in more than a week and the Wild’s leading scorer from a season ago and reigning Calder Trophy victor remains in Russia without a deal.

The consistent line from Wild general manager Bill Guerin all offseason is “these things take time,” but time is of the essence now. It’s rarely a quick, easy process to get an unsigned European player to North America in normal times, let alone in the midst of a pandemic.

“There are gonna be some obstacles,” an exasperated-sounding Guerin admitted to The Athletic on Monday night.

-----------

Regardless, all of this could be moot for now because it sure sounds like Guerin and Kaprizov’s agent, Paul Theofanous, have once again reached a stalemate.

Guerin declined to reveal the Wild’s contract offers. But sources have told The Athletic for several weeks that the team has offered Kaprizov, who has played only 55 NHL regular-season games, a variety of terms around $9 million per year.

That would not only be the largest cap hit in Wild history, it would be the largest cap hit in NHL history for a player with such little body of work at the NHL level.

-----------

Obviously, Kaprizov is well-decorated internationally, especially back in his world junior days and in the 2018 Olympics when he scored the gold-medal-clinching goal for the Olympic Athletes of Russia. In the KHL, Kaprizov won a league championship with CSKA Moscow, has been named MVP and led the league in goal scoring twice.

Yet, in the NHL, after the Wild waited 5 ½ years for Kaprizov to arrive after drafting him in the fifth round in 2015, the club seems to be willing to pay him like a top-10 winger despite the fact the 24-year-old has played two-thirds of a normal, 82-game season against just seven teams last season.

Yet, $9 million a year hasn’t gotten him signed at this point despite the fact both parties began talking on March 23 when Theofanous flew to the Twin Cities to meet with the team.

“I will say this, we are at a point where we feel we’re being extremely fair,” Guerin said. “How far apart are we? Not very, but sometimes those can be the things that take a while. I mean, that’s the way I see it. You could ask Paul or Kirill and they might say something very different.”

Theofanous didn’t return a text message Monday night.

-------------

Nevertheless, it sure sounds like Guerin has made his final offer.

“We’ve made a very fair offer, and that’s just where we are,” Guerin said.

Asked if he’s getting to the point where he’ll say “take it or stay in Russia,” or if he’d ever pull the offer altogether, Guerin said, “Hey, look, I’m ready to sign him right now. But it’s got to be fair, and I feel we’ve been very, very fair.

“As for pulling the offer, honestly, I really can’t say. I don’t really think of that too often, to be honest with you. That’s a drastic measure. I don’t think we’re there yet. I’m comfortable with where we are, and we’ll just see how it goes in the next little while.

“He’s a very important player on our team, and I’ve told him that many times.”

Guerin says he and Kaprizov have exchanged some text messages this offseason, but not lately.

https://theathletic.com/2824850/2021/09/13/as-kirill-kaprizov-contract-talks-go-silent-wild-gm-admits-there-are-some-obstacles/
Post #: 307
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 9/16/2021 8:34:35 AM   
TJSweens

Something to distract us from Kaprizov watch.

After scariest year of his life, Marco Rossi is back with Wild

The 2020 first-round pick developed myocarditis after testing positive for COVID-19

By DANE MIZUTANI | dmizutani@pioneerpress.com | Pioneer Press
PUBLISHED: September 15, 2021 at 4:48 p.m. | UPDATED: September 15, 2021 at 4:56 p.m.

Wild prospect Marco Rossi was on the ice on Wednesday afternoon at TRIA Rink in downtown St. Paul. He skated with fellow prospects in the organization and scored a couple of highlight-reel goals that showed why the Wild selected him with the No. 9 pick in the 2020 NHL Draft.

The fact the 19-year-old center was out there in any capacity is nothing short of a miracle considering everything he’s gone throughout of the past year. This is the same young man who couldn’t even go for a walk without his heart rate spiking to 110 beats per minute. To put that number in perspective, elite athletes like Rossi can sometimes have a resting heart rate as low as 40 beats per minute.

It started last November when Rossi tested positive for COVID-19. Though he experienced only minor symptoms at the time, he was exhausted in the weeks that followed. That exhaustion spilled over into his time with Team Austria at the World Junior Championship, then hit a boiling point a couple of weeks later when, in a considerable shock, he failed his cardiac screening ahead of Wild training camp.

After undergoing a number of tests about 9½ months ago, Rossi was diagnosed with myocarditis, a medical term used to described an inflammation of the heart. His quest of making the NHL seemed over before it even began.

What followed was the scariest year of Rossi’s life.

“The hard part was that I couldn’t do really anything,” he said. “I couldn’t even go for a walk.”

Forget the budding NHL career; there were times over the past year that Rossi worried his heart might stop if he overexerted himself. He couldn’t do anything that might raise his heart rate, and eventually he returned to his native Austria to recover.

As his health slowly started to improve, Rossi let himself start thinking about the NHL again. He admitted that he had some doubts about whether he could be the same player he was before the diagnosis.

“It was scary,” Rossi said. “I’m thinking a lot, like, ‘Am I really going to be better than before? How’s it going to be after? Can I go intense, really hard again?’ Those are some of the questions I had.”

Those questions started to get answered back in May, when he was medically cleared to resume training, then again in June when he hit the ice for the first time since his diagnosis.

Still, there were some doubts in Rossi’s mind after being told to do nothing for so long. Could he really go 100 percent? How would his heart react if he did?

“It was really weird for me because when I go hard and maybe feel something a little bit, then I was just scared right away,” he said. “You’re thinking so much.”

Those doubts slowly started to fade and Rossi made it clear that he doesn’t think that way anymore.

In fact, Rossi claims to be feeling even better than he did before the diagnosis. Not only has the past year provided him with the mental strength to know he can overcome adversity, it has provided him with literal physical strength as he’s tirelessly worked himself back into shape.

“I feel strong,” Rossi said. “I always say now that I feel better than before because I had such a long time to recover, just to work on everything, on my good things, on my bad things. I always wanted to be much better, and I think for me, I have much more confidence than before.”

That was on display on Wednesday afternoon as Rossi got to showcase his skills alongside some of the top prospects in the Wild organization. Some notable names included defenseman Calen Addison, who had a cup of coffee in the NHL last season, and Matt Boldy, who has a chance to make the NHL roster this season.

“It was a really good skate,” Rossi said. “I was so excited to finally be here and skate with the team. After a very hard time for me, it felt really good to be out there skating with the team. It’s amazing to be out there.”

This is the first step for Rossi this season, and he’s trying to stay in the moment as best he can. That said, Rossi is also looking forward to training camp after having that taken away from him last season.

“My goal is to make the NHL,” he said. “I know how good I am. I know I can make it. But I have to prove myself. You have to earn that spot.”

No matter what happens over the next few week, though, Rossi is happy that he’s able to chase his dream once again.

“I love to play hockey,” Rossi said. “After such a long time not playing hockey I realized how much I love the sport. Especially right now, when I’m out there, I always appreciate being out there. I’m thankful I can play hockey again.”

Post #: 308
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 9/16/2021 10:18:41 AM   
twinsfan

Who are these people?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 309
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 9/17/2021 8:31:12 AM   
stfrank

Prospects game tonight against Chicago prospects team on Wild YouTube channel at 7 PM with another game Sunday at 1 PM.
I'm ready for some hockey, even if it's just glorified scrimmages.
Post #: 310
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 9/18/2021 7:05:28 AM   
stfrank

Wild prospects win the first game 3-2. It was fun to watch some hockey and see the young guys that will some day be with the big club. Rossi and Boldy played on the same line and looked good together. I would say Chicago carried the play for a good portion of the game until the end when we scored 2 goals in the final period for the win. Boldy looked like the best player on the ice and along with Rossi they looked in sync from the get go.
Post #: 311
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 9/18/2021 11:53:05 AM   
kevinemmer

quote:

Yep
Getting antsy on this.
Thanks for the Prospects Game update ST!
Post #: 312
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 9/18/2021 2:35:19 PM   
TJSweens

I think Kaprizov's agent is playing a game of chicken and Billy ain't gonna blink.

Post #: 313
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 9/19/2021 8:55:09 AM   
stfrank

quote:

I think Kaprizov's agent is playing a game of chicken and Billy ain't gonna blink.

The latest from Russo: at least they are talking again......
Post #: 314
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 9/19/2021 10:44:01 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

quote:

Not a surprise. KKs agent tried following bridge contract blueprint again. It worked too well before and Guerin won't go for it. My guess is it will be a 4 year deal. That gets the Wild to where the Parise and Suter cap hits drop off.

Post #: 315
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 9/19/2021 11:11:56 AM   
stfrank

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

quote:

Not a surprise. KKs agent tried following bridge contract blueprint again. It worked too well before and Guerin won't go for it. My guess is it will be a 4 year deal. That gets the Wild to where the Parise and Suter cap hits drop off.

Thing is, if all they will go up to is 4 years, he better be willing to take less than $9 million. I would offer him 9 for 5 or 8 for 4....take your pick. Or stay in Russia.
Post #: 316
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 9/19/2021 4:29:54 PM   
stfrank

Guerin on Kaprizov: "I'm disappointed that we don't have him signed, but we are not the only team in this situation. Training camp starts next week. And when that starts, we're gonna focus on the guys we have there. This happens all the time, but we'll just move ahead." #mnwild
Post #: 317
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 9/21/2021 5:52:40 PM   
stfrank

Kirill Kaprizov contract finally done: Wild ink star to five-year, $45 million deal
All I can say is..........about time!
Post #: 318
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 9/21/2021 6:26:55 PM   
David Levine

The total value of the deal is $45-million, meaning that Kaprizov will carry a $9-million cap hit, the largest in franchise history. This deal will be buying up two of the player’s unrestricted free agency years — now the Calder Trophy winner will not be hitting the open market until he is 29 years old. With those two years bought, Kaprizov will reportedly be getting some sort of trade protection. Considering what was rumored to be out there and how badly him and his agent wanted a shorter-term deal, this is more than worth it to have the superstar stay in Minnesota during his prime.

Post #: 319
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 9/21/2021 6:49:00 PM   
TJSweens

It's officially $9 Mil Kirll

Post #: 320
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 9/21/2021 7:31:45 PM   
kevinemmer

YEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Bill Guerin:
Post #: 321
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 9/21/2021 9:22:14 PM   
TJSweens

Theofanous tried to play a hard core game of chicken 🐔 and Guerin didn't blink. Never got irritable. Stuck to his "these things take time " mantra. Got the deal done with no antagonism, no hard feelings, no war of words. His first high profile contract negotiation is a complete success.

Post #: 322
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 9/21/2021 10:39:55 PM   
Lynn G.

Now bring on hockey season!!! I can’t wait to see this year’s team.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 323
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 9/21/2021 11:39:49 PM   
stfrank

It's going to be the new look Wild this season with some young guys with plenty to prove. Should be fun.
Post #: 324
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 9/22/2021 7:30:28 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Theofanous tried to play a hard core game of chicken 🐔 and Guerin didn't blink. Never got irritable. Stuck to his "these things take time " mantra. Got the deal done with no antagonism, no hard feelings, no war of words. His first high profile contract negotiation is a complete success.

Read on The Athletic that the contract sat for 6 weeks at least and the only thing that changed was that the last two years of it has a no trade clause. The agent supposedly worked the a 7/81.5 deal with Panarin after a two year bridge contract similar to how he started out as a rookie but Guerin didn't budge.

Guerin wanted a 7-8 year deal at 9 per and the agent wanted a shorter bridge deal. So it is a win for both sides.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 325
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 12 [13] 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft Page: <<   < prev  10 11 12 [13] 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode