Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 6/4/2021 7:08:19 AM   
Phil Riewer

Ouch:

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/coyotes-to-forfeit-two-draft-picks-one-in-2020-and-one-in-2021-for-nhl-combine-testing-violations/

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 26
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 6/4/2021 8:10:20 AM   
TJSweens

On the brighter side, that does move the Wild up one spot in the first round.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 27
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 6/4/2021 9:51:06 AM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I'm all for that!
Post #: 28
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 6/4/2021 9:52:44 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

quote:

I'm all for that!

Right now the Wild has the makings of an anti-Speilman draft. Two picks in the first round and none in the seventh.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 29
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 6/8/2021 1:39:25 PM   
TJSweens

Marco Rossi was in a lot worse shape than any of us realized. His bout with covid-19 left him with myocarditis that wasn't diagnosed until the Wild team doctors gave him a physical when he arrived in St. Paul. It's pretty easy to see why people were so unimpressed with his play at the Worlds last fall.

Wild's Marco Rossi opens up about heart condition that forced him off the ice
By Michael Russo

After being off the ice for nearly four months, top Minnesota Wild prospect Marco Rossi opened up about his health struggles, including his diagnosis of myocarditis, to The Athletic's Michael Russo.

Last November, Rossi was diagnosed with COVID-19. Following his recovery, he captained Austria at the World Junior Championship in January but continued to feel fatigued. After Austria was eliminated from the tournament in just four games, Rossi traveled to Minnesota for the Wild's training camp.

During the NHL's mandatory COVID-19 quarantine protocol, doctors found some alarming numbers in his bloodwork during his pre-training camp physical. During that examination, doctors discovered Rossi had myocarditis, a broad term that essentially means an inflammation of the heart. After undergoing more tests, it was determined that he would not be cleared to play.

"The doctors told me if I played one more game in the World Junior Championship, this could have ended completely different," Rossi said. "I'm thankful to God that he supported me. … I'm just happy that I'm still alive."

Over the next three weeks, Rossi went from doctor's visit to doctor's visit while living with Wild forward Thomas Vanek — arguably Austria's most famous former hockey player. Rossi also received support from former Wild goalie Alex Stalock, who was also secretly going through his own struggles with the same ailment.

The Wild eventually sent a terrified Rossi home to Austria to be with his parents.

"Every time before I went to sleep, I was so scared that I won't wake up anymore," Rossi said, discussing his myocarditis condition publicly for the first time. "Every night, before sleep, I was really sad and always crying because I was scared of that. I told my parents, 'Could you sleep right next to my bed and be here 'til I fall asleep?' And every day I woke up in the morning, I was so glad that I woke up. It was really hard."

Despite his struggles, doctors are confident that Rossi’s on the mend. In mid-May, he will have more tests in Dornbirn, Austria, where Rossi said medical experts have examined several athletes who have returned to sports after being diagnosed with similar heart conditions. If cleared, he can begin working out again.

A couple of days ago he hit the ice for workouts for the first time.

Minnesota Wild: Marco Rossi makes return to ice after season of adversity
by Tim Johnson1 day ago

Marco Rossi was an exception to some recent Minnesota Wild news this weekend.

With the team’s season over, the attention has obviously been focused on offi-ice activities. But Rossi, one of the franchise’s top prospects, garnered attention on Saturday for what he did on it.

Rossi, selected ninth overall in last year’s NHL Entry Draft, was filmed as he took to the ice for a Saturday morning workout. in a Wild practice jersey. The video — filmed by his father, Michael, and posted on his social media account — would not be that big of a deal, normally.

But given what he has been through over the past year, it is notable. It also was his first time on the ice since he captained Austria in the World Junior Championship tournament in January.

It marked a return to normalcy for the 19-year-old Austrian center who tested positive for COVID-19 in November and then was diagnosed with myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart. The latter came during a pre-training camp physical with the Wild and ended his hockey season. He eventually returned to Austria to recover.

Rossi expressed his feelings as he. posed for a photo on the ice that was posted on his Twitter account to with the simple message of, “So happy to be back on the ice!” that was accompanied with a emoji of a flexing arm..

Michael Russo of The Athletic interviewed Rossi and wrote a story in late April about the the heart condition and the fear it caused the standout prospect

“Every time before I went to sleep, I was so scared that I won’t wake up anymore,” Rossi told Russo. “Every night before sleep, I was really sad and always crying because I was scared of that. I told my parents, ‘Could you sleep right next to my bed and be here ’til I fall asleep?’ And every day I woke up in the morning. I was so glad.”

He had 68 goals and 185 points in two seasons with the Ottawa 67’s of the Ontario Hockey League before being selected by the Wild.

In its 2020 predraft guide, eliteprospects.com wrote that Rossi:

“Has an exceptional sense of spacing both on and off the puck, capable of playing in the most sensitive portions of the offensive zone and suffering hardly any physical wear for the trouble. If there’s an opening, then Rossi is going to find it and ruthlessly exploit it. He’s responsible defensively with great off the puck positioning and support below the hashmarks.”

Rossi, received medical clearance to return to the ice in May, and he is expected to be a part of the Wild’s training camp .

“Things are looking really good,” Wild general manager Bill Guerin said in a season-ending media session earlier this week. “He seems to be incredibly healthy and very positive.

“”(The medical condition) was a big shock. A big healthy, workout-crazy kid like he is,,” Guerin said. “It’s scary. You’re nervous for the kid and for his family. But honestly, we have such a fantastic medical staff here. They went through everything 10 times with a fine-tooth comb and they just make you feel a lot better about it. OUr medical staff has been absolutely fantastic through the whole process.”

Post #: 30
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 6/8/2021 1:41:00 PM   
TJSweens

It's a good thing the Wild's medical staff isn't like the Twins medical staff of crack...er...crack medical staff.

Post #: 31
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 6/8/2021 4:20:18 PM   
stfrank

quote:

It's a good thing the Wild's medical staff isn't like the Twins medical staff of crack...er...crack medical staff.

Yup, it's pretty scary how bad things could have gone for Rossi.
Glad to hear he is back to working out and will hopefully be back to full speed come training camp.
Post #: 32
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 6/17/2021 3:27:01 PM   
TJSweens

Alright boys and girls, let's inject a little life into the Wild thread.

What should the Wild be willing to part with to get Jack Eichel? Buffalo is determined to move him and demanding a pretty hefty price. Possible Wild scenarios I have read put it somewhere in the realm of Eriksson Ek, Dumba and both of our first round picks this year.

Would you do it?

Post #: 33
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 6/17/2021 3:38:37 PM   
stfrank

Absolutely not!
I personally hope we pass on him altogether. The price is way to high for a guy that just recovered from a serious neck injury that we know very little about and an attitude problem to boot. Granted the attitude may be from being on a bad team for so long, but is he part of that problem or is his attitude because of it? I say too many what if's for what Buffalo is asking.
Post #: 34
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 6/17/2021 3:44:29 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Yeap. Wild trades with Buffalo end up like Bear WR’s for the Vikes 🥴
Post #: 35
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 6/17/2021 3:57:01 PM   
TJSweens

The injury has me concerned, but not his attitude. Eichel is the team captain at 24 years old. His attitude can only be so bad. His beef is with the Sabres is over how they have handled his injury.

If he doesn't come back 100%, that is a lot of capital to acquire a player and pay him $10M a year. On the other hand, if he is 100%, the Wild have a 24 year old all star first line center to pair with Kaprizov. If there are some protections against his injury, I would give up Dumbo and the picks, but not Ek.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 6/17/2021 4:42:31 PM >

Post #: 36
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 6/17/2021 4:39:34 PM   
stfrank

I thought I read somewhere it would cost Dumba and Fiala plus picks just make the money work under the cap. I agree about keeping Ek and I'm on the fence when it comes to Fiala. It would be easier to part with Fiala than Ek.
Post #: 37
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 6/17/2021 4:45:38 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

I thought I read somewhere it would cost Dumba and Fiala plus picks just make the money work under the cap. I agree about keeping Ek and I'm on the fence when it comes to Fiala. It would be easier to part with Fiala than Ek.

Unless there is a lot more assurance on his health, I wouldn't give up any significant players beyond Dumba.

Post #: 38
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 6/17/2021 5:00:49 PM   
stfrank

quote:

quote:

Unless there is a lot more assurance on his health, I wouldn't give up any significant players beyond Dumba.

That's exactly why I keep circling back to a hard pass on him.
Post #: 39
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 6/17/2021 5:10:25 PM   
Phil Riewer

I think Dumba play was improved this year; I would trade him but Ek and 2 firsts seem real steep.

Is the draft as good as last year? I doubt Guerin trades those picks away.

I am on board with trading Dumba away....Ek no; Greenway as an add on yes; no 1st rounders.

Post #: 40
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 6/17/2021 5:10:44 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's exactly why I keep circling back to a hard pass on him.

I'll part with Dumba and picks in a heart beat.

Post #: 41
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 6/17/2021 5:12:04 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

I think Dumba play was improved this year; I would trade him but Ek and 2 firsts seem real steep.

I am on board with trading Dumba away....Ek no; Greenway as an add on yes; no 1st rounders.

I would rather trade the picks than Ek. The odds of players taken that late turning out as good as Ekker are pretty long.

Post #: 42
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 6/18/2021 8:18:54 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

I would rather trade the picks than Ek. The odds of players taken that late turning out as good as Ekker are pretty long.

I have more faith in Guerin and group with those picks but i totally agree on Ek.

Post #: 43
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 6/18/2021 9:00:21 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

I have more faith in Guerin and group with those picks but i totally agree on Ek.

I read one article that broke down the return on first round picks in the range that the Wild would be trading. The analysis showed that four picks in that range would have far less impact than one pick toward the top of the first round. Ek is fast becoming one of the best two way centers in the league and he's 24 years old. That would be a tall order for Guerin and his team to match. And I agree. I really liked the way Guerin's team handled the last draft.

Post #: 44
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 6/18/2021 9:13:58 AM   
bstinger

I wasn't familiar with Eichel's game so I watched this highlight package.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itt_BnQXqYI

He would be a great get. If Eichel's healthy and able to produce like he did in 2019 he's a big upgrade on this team.

I'd rather not give up Ek, but depending on how negotiations are going that could change.

I have no problem giving Dumba and picks. Would they take Rask or Sturm as filler? Someone from the minors? Rask and Dumba's contracts equal Eichel's and I think it would be addition by subtraction to get rid of Rask.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 45
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 6/18/2021 9:20:53 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

I wasn't familiar with Eichel's game so I watched this highlight package.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itt_BnQXqYI

He would be a great get. If Eichel's healthy and able to produce like he did in 2019 he's a big upgrade on this team.

I'd rather not give up Ek, but depending on how negotiations are going that could change.

I have no problem giving Dumba and picks. Would they take Rask or Sturm as filler? Someone from the minors? Rask and Dumba's contracts equal Eichel's and I think it would be addition by subtraction to get rid of Rask.

To give up Ek, I would require that they also have to take Parise in any deal. Of course that introduces the complication of Zach waiving his NMC. I think he wants out of Minnesota and he could play a much bigger role with Buffalo.

Post #: 46
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 6/18/2021 10:14:11 AM   
TJSweens

SMF tells me he would have no issue giving up Dumbo and Fiala as part of a deal to get Eichel. We're both of the mind that a legit #1 center is the hardest thing to get in the NHL. Unless you have the luck to draft one, you will have to pay a premium price to get one. Somebody out there will offer something better than Dumba and a couple of late first round picks.

Post #: 47
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 6/18/2021 10:31:21 AM   
Phil Riewer

So you like Ek better than Fiala?

Post #: 48
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 6/18/2021 10:35:05 AM   
TJSweens

One big issue is that the Wild have to send a lot salary out the door in any deal for Eichel or at least make a separate deal that does so. Eichel is under contract for $10M a year. Kirilloff is about to get a contract that will be close to Eichel's. Dumbo alone will send $6M out the door. Fiala is an arbitration eligible RFA who is coming off a year in which he made $3M.

Put those two together with one of our first round picks this year and next year's first round pick could get a deal done. And again, I don' know how you do it, but there needs to be some level of protection against Eichel's health.

Post #: 49
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 6/18/2021 10:37:15 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

So you like Ek better than Fiala?

Oh God yes. It's not even close in my opinion. Fiala is a very talented, but streaky offensive wing. Ericksson Ek is turning into one of the best two way centers in the NHL. Ekker never takes a bad shift. Fiala can dominate for a few games and then disappear for several games.

Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode