Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/17/2021 10:20:39 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Just checked for comparison. The Lightning have 6 guys at 5 mil or over. We have 3, on the roster with Ekk, KK and Fiala on t try he horizon while still carrying Zach and Suter
Post #: 126
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/18/2021 10:59:44 AM   
Jeff Jesser

So long Kap. We hardly knew ya šŸ˜«
Post #: 127
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/18/2021 11:12:14 AM   
Lynn G.

I'd hate it if Kaapo leaves. It's been super great to have TWO dependable goalies, and two guys who seem to be great teammates and who support each other. We gave up Stalock, who looked to be that guy too. Come on Wild. Quit depleting our goaltending resources.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 128
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/18/2021 12:02:49 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Some amazing talent exposed but expensive too. Thatā€™s why I think Kap is gone. Depends on Seattleā€™s strategy. Do they want to go for it right away? If yes, Price may make sense but if they are thinking longer term, may not be smart to take on his cap hit
Post #: 129
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/18/2021 1:25:53 PM   
stfrank

We could just as likely lose Soucy in the draft as Kaapo. I actually read one of the writers for The Athletic thought we could lose Rask since there are so few centers available.
The way the Wild is situated right now, I think BG just lets them take who they want and we move on. No trades, no back office deals for Boldy or any other top prospect so they take Rask or anybody else off our hands.
Post #: 130
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/18/2021 3:36:08 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

We could just as likely lose Soucy in the draft as Kaapo. I actually read one of the writers for The Athletic thought we could lose Rask since there are so few centers available.
The way the Wild is situated right now, I think BG just lets them take who they want and we move on. No trades, no back office deals for Boldy or any other top prospect so they take Rask or anybody else off our hands.

Rask poached would be a best case scenario.
Post #: 131
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/18/2021 3:43:33 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

quote:

Yup.
I don't know what that guy was smoking, but it must good.
Post #: 132
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/18/2021 5:26:09 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Unless BG has deal in place, exposing Kaapo instead of Talbot is a mistake IMO. Talbot is 34 and Kaapo could be our starting goal tender for 10 years.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 133
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/19/2021 7:14:41 AM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Unless BG has deal in place, exposing Kaapo instead of Talbot is a mistake IMO. Talbot is 34 and Kaapo could be our starting goal tender for 10 years.

I agree Sweens.
Right after I said heā€™s making ALL the right moves.
Maybe a deal is there to protect Kaapoā€¦ā€¦sure hope so.
Post #: 134
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/19/2021 8:18:07 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree Sweens.
Right after I said heā€™s making ALL the right moves.
Maybe a deal is there to protect Kaapoā€¦ā€¦sure hope so.

And hopefully it doesn't involve giving them Boldy.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 135
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/19/2021 8:33:05 AM  1 votes
stfrank

I think we will be fine if we lose Kaapo. Look at all the goalies out there that seem to play musical chairs and at how many there are that are flat out difference makers. Only a few difference makers and they are tied up with huge contracts for years like Price. Kaapo had a good run and then fell off the ledge towards the end of the season 2 years in a row, once in Iowa and once here. Many scouts still think his ceiling is a solid #2 but not a guy you can ride the whole season on. Time will tell, but either way I think we will be ok if we have to find another backup goalie.
Post #: 136
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/19/2021 8:56:00 AM   
TJSweens

There are a lot of solid veteran goalies on the FA market this year. Seattle could well decide that there is no need to draft a goalie when there will options to pick up a veteran. Soucey at 26 is a damn solid defenseman, under team control for two more years at a reasonable price.

Russo has indicated for some time now that he thinks Guerin will be able to steer the guy he is most willing to lose to Seattle.

Post #: 137
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/19/2021 9:42:09 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

Definitely a short term decision vs long term. Management must see a window right now to contend? Talbot came on strong at the end of the season, while Kaapo may still be a year away from being a full time #1.

Hopefully they donā€™t lose him. It was a gamble though, because heā€™s the most promising rookie Wild goalie in recent memory at least.
Post #: 138
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/19/2021 9:48:43 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

Definitely a short term decision vs long term. Management must see a window right now to contend? Talbot came on strong at the end of the season, while Kaapo may still be a year away from being a full time #1.

Hopefully they donā€™t lose him. It was a gamble though, because heā€™s the most promising rookie Wild goalie in recent memory at least.

Most promising since pre-MS Josh Harding. That one was a heart breaker.

Post #: 139
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/19/2021 10:54:38 AM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

Please, please, please.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 140
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/19/2021 11:04:55 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

quote:

Please, please, please.

That scenario would almost be too good to be true.

Post #: 141
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/19/2021 12:14:24 PM   
kgdabom

NHL.Com mock draft picks for Wild.

22. Minnesota Wild

Kimelman -- Nikita Chibrikov, RW, St. Petersburg (RUS): Defenseman is an area of need for the Wild, but Chibrikov is too good a prospect to pass on. Scouts have been impressed by his playmaking, skating and hockey sense, and the 18-year-old led NHL Draft-eligible players at the U-18 Worlds with 13 points (four goals, nine assists) in seven games for Russia.

Morreale -- Fabian Lysell, RW, Lulea (SWE): A mobile skater with good speed and creativity and would look good someday on a line with Calder Trophy winner Kirill Kaprizov. The 18-year-old doesn't have dominating size (5-10, 172), but is strong and capable of winning 1-on-1 battles. He scored three points (two goals, one assist) in 26 SHL games, and scored nine points (three goals, six assists) in seven games for third-place Sweden at the U-18 Worlds.

I like the Russian better than the undersized Swede.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 142
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/20/2021 9:15:42 AM   
TJSweens

There is a strong rumor in the last 24 hours that Nick Foligno will sign a short term deal to play with little brother Marcus on the Wild. Nick's best days are behind him, but if the price is right, I say hell yes!

Post #: 143
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/20/2021 10:38:50 AM   
Jeff Jesser

I'm "meh" either way. He hasn't had good stats for years and we have other (younger) guys that bring his intangibles. Won't hate it as long as the money is low but won't love it either.
Post #: 144
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/20/2021 11:08:02 AM   
TJSweens

Like I said, as long as the price is right and he understands that he is just filling a role.

Post #: 145
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/20/2021 11:15:57 AM   
TJSweens

Here are a few options that are being mocked to the Wild at 21 & 25. Sometimes I get the feeling that these sites have us taking a lot of Russians because of Kirilloff. Others have transposed our historical penchant for defensive centers onto Guerin. Neither of those theories are applicable to Billy IMO. Guerin says he emphasizes a player's ceiling ahead of being safe in the first round. He is also big on intangibles. I get the impression Guerin looks at each draft as unique and he isn't looking to clone last year's draft.

Pick #21
Zachary Bolduc, C, Rimouski (QMJHL) - 6ā€™1ā€ / 175
Bolducā€™s tools give him the upper hand in downhill battles. When defenders stand flatfooted or rush him, he dangles through them with rapid stickhandling motions. And when given an open shooting lane, he can take a couple of steps, kick a leg back, and sling pucks past the goalie.
Bolduc of is a combination great speed and skill with and an ability to score goals from anywhere on the ice. He can play center or wing; Minnesota could love his versatility.

Nikita Chibrikov, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL) ā€“ 5ā€™10ā€ / 175
If you give him space, a runway through the neutral zone, or a pocket in the offensive end, he will cut around the opposition with a combination of rapid handling and crossovers moves. He locates teammates early in possession sequences and finds ways to reach them by going to his backhand, by saucing the puck above sticks, banking it on the boards, or the goalieā€™s pads. -EliteProspects 2021 NHL Draft Guide

Fyodor Svechkov, W/C, SKA St. Petersburg / KHL ā€“ 6ā€™0ā€ / 185
Heā€™s always scanning the ice for threats and options when heā€™s off of the puck, maintaining a detailed mental map of the ice so that heā€™s always prepared for what comes next. He waits for a clear change in possession to move up-ice in a controlled, supportive fashion. His sense of offensive timing is fantastic, and he has a really great knack for getting open off of the puck. -EliteProspects 2021 NHL Draft Guide

Matthew Knies, LW, Tri-City (USHL) ā€“ 6ā€™3ā€ / 205

a riser on many boards and has good size and intriguing ability. Minnesota needs help in a few places and this would be a potential reach.
The way Knies establishes body positioning drives his value in every dimension of the game. He tries to be first on every puck at all costs, getting his leg in front of his opponentā€™s, then coming across their body with his hips to seal off the defender. Some off-puck awareness makes Knies a bit of a scoring threat, hunting space after passing.

Jack Peart, D, Fargo Force (USHL)/ Grand Rapids HS (USHS-MN) ā€“ 5ā€™11ā€ / 185

He skates with a heightened activity rate through his feet, and uses crossovers to cut laterally and quickly close space while defending in transition. He keeps his feet stable through the neutral zone once heā€™s established a gap with the closing opponent. Peart shoulder-checks for options as he collects the puck, layers deception onto his first touch, and sprints right past the first forechecker with ease. -EliteProspects 2021 NHL Draft Guide

Francesco Pinelli, C, Kitchner Rangers (OHL) ā€“ 6ā€™1ā€ / 185

The foundation of Pinelliā€™s potency is his hockey sense. He supports his teammates, takes optimal routes to prepare one or two plays in advance, always finds soft ice in the offensive zone, and times his movements perfectly into those pockets of space to strike. With a no-drawback push release, heā€™s sending the puck home as a capable one- and two-touch finisher. -EliteProspects 2021 NHL Draft Guide Brother: Luca Pinelli

Post #: 146
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/21/2021 9:40:17 AM   
TJSweens

Does Brackettā€™s draft history predict Wild success?

What can we learn about the Wildā€™s draft guru by looking at his picks with the Canucks?

By KyleHattrick@KyleTalksHockey Jul 20, 2021, 10:00am CDT

While the Wild added some free agents last summer like Cam Talbot and Nick Bonino that helped Minnesota get to a seven-game playoff series against the Vegas Golden Knights, the signing that may help Minnesota build a contender for years to come is the one that isnā€™t talked about as much during the season, but looms large as the Wild approach the NHL Entry Draft on July 23 and 24.

For when Bill Guerin brought on Judd Brackett, former draft Guru for the Vancouver Canucks, as his Director of Amateur Scouting, he made a statement that the Wild were done taking little swings in the draft. The swings were going to be big and they might not always hit, but with a draft table led by Brackett, youā€™re going to have a better chance of hitting a home run.

Brackett joined the Wild in July of 2020 with only a few months to prepare the Wildā€™s board for the early October draft. Even with the shorter prep time, the Wild were able to nab two strong prospects in Marco Rossi and Marat Khusnutdinov in the first two rounds, and traded much of their draft capital in order to front-load their picks in the early rounds. This year, the Wild have a full nine selections to play with, including extra first and third round selections from the Pittsburgh Penguins, and Brackett had a full year to scout, even if NHL scouting in 2021 meant shortened junior and college seasons, zoom conferences and video highlights.

But what can we expect from Brackettā€™s first Wild draft after a full scouting season and a full year to plan the teamsā€™ big board? Letā€™s compare what Brackett did with the Canucks at similar positions during his four years spent running the Vancouver table.

First round
The Canucks were pretty awful during Brackettā€™s tenure in Vancouver, so he never had the special joy or challenge of trying to find the diamond in the mid-twenties rough. The lowest selection Brackett had to make came in 2019 ā€” his final year running the table for the Canucks, and he had to wait out only nine selections before he phoned in his pick at number 10 overall, where the Canucks selected Vasili Podkolzin (F). His three other first round picks were fifth in 2016 (Olli Juolevi), fifth in 2017 (the vaunted Elias Pettersson), and seventh in 2018 (the also notable Quinn Hughes).

The closest the Canucks have been to where the Wild are in the first round was in 2015, the draft right before Brackett was promoted to Director of Amateur Scouting. Eric Crawford, then the Director of Player Personnel, ran the draft table that season, and while Brackett was a trusted and well-respected scout, itā€™s unclear how much influence he had in the Canucksā€™ 23rd-overall selection.

And if you follow Michael Russo, you know exactly who they took with that 23rd pick ā€” Burnsville, Minn.ā€™s own Brock Boeser. The Wildā€™s beat writer takes quite a bit of joy in reminding Wild fans that Minnesota could have had Boeser at 20th overall, selecting instead Joel Eriksson Ek, though that burn stung a little more before JEEKā€™s Selke-worthy 2021 season.

Second round

During Brackettā€™s four-year span in Vancouver, the Canucks often moved around their second round picks, trading away two they possessed in 2016, then acquiring an additional second-round selection in 2017. The later of their two picks in 2017 came in the ā€œtradeā€ that sent head coach John Tortorella to Columbus in return for the 55th overall selection ā€” only one spot later than the Wild select this year.

In the 2017 draft, Brackett and his draft team took forward Jonah Gadjovich, a two-way power winger out of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League. Lauded for his gritty, north-south style of play, his compete level and scoring ability (he finished third in the OHL the season prior to his selection), the only thing keeping Gadjovich from being a late first-rounder was his skating, which most scouts saw as clunky and slow, especially from a dead stop. In fact, Gadjovich is one of the few early-round selections by Brackett that wasnā€™t a strong skater, as quick, agile and powerful strides are usually hallmarks of Juddā€™s selections ā€” but more on that later.

Despite playing a significant role on Team Canadaā€™s gold-medal winning world juniors squad in 2018, Gadjovich had a tough time getting things going at the AHL level, spending most of 2019 either in the press box or the trainersā€™ room for the Cancucksā€™ minor-league affiliate, the Utica Comets. But Gadjovich continued his growth and improved his skating, especially as the AHL delayed the start of their 2020-21 season due to COVID, and the hard work payed off with 15 goals in 19 games in Utica, and made his NHL debut in Vancouver, where he amassed 17 penalty minutes for the Canucks on May 16th in a 6-5 OT loss to the Calgary Flames. Despite the slow start, his prospect progress is definitely on an upward trend.

Brackettā€™s best second-round impact for the Canucks however came in 2019, where he selected Nils Hoglander at 40th overall. Undersized but speedy with great hands (as evidenced by his many highlight-reel, lacrosse-style goals), the skilled Swedeā€™s selection is another strong addition to Brackettā€™s drafting resume, and his highly anticipated NHL debut met or exceeded Vancouver fansā€™ expectations.

Hoglanderā€™s strong 2021 rookie season ended with 13 goals and 14 assists while playing in all 56 games for Vancouver. And while his 40th-overall placement in the 2019 draft is 14 picks higher than where Brackett will select for the Wild, it just goes to show he can find talent all over the board.

Middle rounds
Brackett made only five total selections between the third and fourth rounds in the four drafts he oversaw in Vancouver, owning third-round picks in 2016-18 and a fourth round pick in each of the 2017 and 2019 drafts. A few of those players have since made NHL debuts, with the most notable being 2017 fourth-round prospect Jack Rathbone, selected at 95th overall, or five spots later than where the Wild will select this year. Rathbone made his debut in May after sitting out roughly an entire calendar year between the end of his 2019-20 NCAA season with Harvard, and the beginning of the AHLā€™s Utica Comets season.

He didnā€™t get on the board in his debut, but he showed enough defensively to earn more playing time, and he finished the season with eight NHL games under his belt, scoring a goal and two assists and placing second on the team in shot attempt share behind Quinn Hughes.

2016 third-rounder Will Lockwood also made his NHL debut in 2021, though the physical and zippy forward failed to find the scoresheet in either of the two games he played in.

Both Rathbone and Lockwood (as well as 2018 third-rounder Tyler Madden ā€” whom the Canucks later traded to the Los Angeles Kings as a piece in the Tyler Toffoli trade) are examples of your typical middle-round Judd Brackett picks - good to great skaters with solid playmaking skills, usually with a touch of grit. They might have some other kind of deficiency to their game (and who in the middle rounds doesnā€™t?) such as size, decision making or balanced play between the offensive and defensive zones, but the aspects that are harder to teach are already there.

Late rounds
Players taken in the fifth round or later tend to have a pretty long road to the NHL, in most cases due to a prolonged learning curve, or in Kirill Kaprizovā€™s case, a bunch of KHL money and a pair of three-year contracts. Dolla Bill Kirill aside, the last late-rounder to make an impact on the Wild is 2013 fifth-round selection Carson Soucy, who looked good in Minnesota after four years at UMD and another two seasons in Iowa, but might not be on the Wild roster much longer as a prime expansion target for the Seattle Kraken.

None of Brackettā€™s late-round prospects have made their NHL debut and all seem to be at least a couple seasons away. Aidan McDonough is the standout of the bunch, finishing his sophomore year at Northeastern second on the team in points with 10 goals and 10 assists in 21 games and earning Hockey East player of the month in February.

McDonough lacks a little of the skating prowess of the usual Brackett selection, but the playmaking skills, shooting ability and physical play are all there. JFresh Hockey predicts a 7% chance of McDonough becoming a consistent NHLer (he uses the benchmark of 200+ NHL games with a positive Wins Above Replacement to measure that), and while that number looks pretty low, itā€™s the highest among Canucksā€™ late-round picks, and higher than any Wild late-round prospect save one ā€” 2016 seventh-rounder Dmitry Solokov, whom the Wild reportedly have decided to not tender a qualifying offer this offseason.

Another pick from the waning rounds of the 2019 draft that had some Canucks fans excited was fifth-round selection Carson Focht, who put up strong numbers (58 goals and 120 points in 129 games) over two seasons with the WHLā€™s Calgary Hitmen, though his first season in Utica was a little slower to get started last season, with four goals and eight assists in 28 games. Unlike McDonough, Focht is exactly what Brackett looks for in his draft picks. Canucks general manager Jim Benning describes Focht as ā€œcompetitive and a hard worker,ā€ ā€œHas a good two-way game and speed on the forecheck to force plays,ā€ and ā€œhas a good work ethic and chance to develop to be a pro.ā€

What we can learn
Though Brackettā€™s selections with Canucks are just starting to pay dividends, we know that Vancouverā€™s fanbase was sad to see Judd leave to take a job with the Wild, and seemingly for good reason. Brackettsā€™ drafts were lauded as some of the strongest in the league during his time there, and his methods of choosing players with good speed, good hands, good work ethic and physicality should net the Wild some strong prospects as long as heā€™s with the organization.

Brackett and Guerin had a splashy 2020 draft, netting players like Rossi and Khusnutdinov while making big trades to move up the board, so it will be interesting to see what the pair can do with nine total picks at their disposal. But whatever happens, if the Wild grab guys with speed, good intangibles, high upside and improvable warts, you know Judd Brackett was the one writing the name on the card to be delivered to the podium.

Post #: 147
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/21/2021 12:34:42 PM   
kgdabom

We lost Soucy per Judd Zulgud.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0amKeu1UbXQ

How do we feel about it?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 148
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/21/2021 1:02:12 PM   
kgdabom

Confirmed by Twin Cities daily and other sources.
https://www.twincities.com/2021/07/21/reports-wild-lose-defenseman-carson-soucy-to-kraken-in-expansion-draft/

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 149
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/21/2021 1:08:25 PM   
Lynn G.

I hate to see Soucy go, and in interviews he sounded like he really liked being with the Wild and building something here - but when it came down to him or Kaapo, I'm glad we kept our back-up goalie.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode