Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/21/2021 1:18:56 PM   
Mister Ed

Yay

The Wild are set for the next 10 years in the net!!

What was old is new again
Post #: 151
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/21/2021 2:30:26 PM   
stfrank

We lose Soucy and our backend, that used to be a strength, is now a question mark.
On the bright side our goaltending should be set, like Mister Ed said.
Now our shopping list has defensemen and centers as 1a and 1b. It will be easier to fill our backend in my opinion. I have always liked Goligoski and would love to see him come home and play for the Wild.
See if we can get Cole back we only need one more on the blue line.
Post #: 152
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/21/2021 2:43:35 PM   
kgdabom

Is Addison ready for full time NHL work? He had 22 points in 31 games at Iowa last year. That was no fluke as he often scored about a PPG in the minors and juniors. That's a very offensive (in a good way) Defenseman.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 7/21/2021 2:47:29 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 153
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/21/2021 3:14:53 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Ed

Yay

I get your way of looking at it, but isn't Soucy somebody we know is good and Kaapo is somebody we hope is good?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 154
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/21/2021 3:20:42 PM   
kgdabom

I found this article on Addison on Fansided

Minnesota Wild need Calen Addison to step up next season
by C.G. Jones1 month ago Follow @TheLastSisyphus
TWEET
x
COMMENT
With the possibility that Matt Dumba may be getting plucked by the Seattle Kraken during the expansion draft in July, it’s important for the Minnesota Wild to consider picking up a defensive prospect this offseason.

The Wild’s defensive corps had success this past season, keeping the opposition to less than three goals per game, on average. But the players are not getting any younger—especially Ryan Suter, who is likely playing out the final few years of his career.

Calen Addison (D)

The most promising defensive prospect currently in the Wild’s system is Canadian-born Calen Addison, who snuck in as the least attractive arm of the Jason Zucker trade. Though he’s a small player, he knows how to move the puck and get up ice. He raked in six goals and 16 assists for a total of 22 points over the course of 31 games with the Iowa Wild this past season.

Addison’s offensive production is in keeping with the top-four defenseman on the Wild’s roster. The top-four averaged 22 points this season, while also closing down opposing threats.

Jonas Brodin: 9G, 14A, 23P
Matt Dumba: 6G, 15A, 21P
Ryan Suter: 3G, 16A, 19P
Jared Spurgeon: 7G, 18A, 25P
Addison has good hockey IQ and sees everything on the ice. He’s patient on the offensive side of the puck, and he’s more than able to close gaps and work the boards on the defensive side. He has all the skills a competitive club wants in a defenseman.

The young defenseman registered just three games with the Wild this past season before he was sent back down to the Iowa Wild, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him step up to take Dumba’s spot should he be sent to play with the Seattle Kraken.

The simple fact is that the Wild don’t have a ton of defensive talent in their prospect pool. And Addison could be the piece that holds the team over until other prospects develop into NHL contributors.

Final Thoughts

The good news for the Wild this offseason is that they have two first-round draft picks. Even if just one of those picks is a solid defenseman, they should be in good shape. They could also afford to ship one of the picks in a trade for a ready-made defenseman for the 2021-2022 season.

The club has a lot of options, and it’ll be interesting to see what General Manager Bill Guerin decides to do in the offseason.

The author noted that Adisson scored the same as the top Wild defenseman, but they did it in an NHL season. Addison did it in 31 games.
This article was written before Suter was bought out and the Pick to the Kraken was Soucy instead of Dumba. Hopefully Addison is a key contributor to the Wild moving forward.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 7/21/2021 3:23:03 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 155
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/21/2021 3:29:17 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Yay

I get your way of looking at it, but isn't Soucy somebody we know is good and Kaapo is somebody we hope is good?

We know Kaapo is good too. He just needs to develop consistency, which usually takes more time for goalies.
Post #: 156
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/21/2021 4:44:41 PM   
Jeff Jesser

We don't need more offensive D we need net clearers. Soucy is 6'5. That is what sucks about losing him. He could protect the crease. Addison isn't even 6 feet. Not a good comparison.
Post #: 157
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/21/2021 4:49:43 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

We don't need more offensive D we need net clearers. Soucy is 6'5. That is what sucks about losing him. He could protect the crease. Addison isn't even 6 feet. Not a good comparison.

What we really need is 3 big ass, mean 6'5" guys on IR until the playoffs roll around. Once we make the playoffs with our small, offensive D we can bring them in without worrying about cap space and let them go crazy with heavy cross-checks to the ribs.
Post #: 158
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/21/2021 4:52:32 PM   
stfrank

But anyways, I agree Jeff. We definitely need a couple of guys with size and a little nasty streak that are willing to keep the front of the net clean.
Post #: 159
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/21/2021 5:13:50 PM   
TJSweens

I get what is being said about Soucey, but I would still rather lose him than Kaapo. The Wild have spent a good part of their history without a legit goalie of the future. Kaapo would be harder to replace than Soucey.

Resigning Cole has become a higher priority. Addison is NHL ready, but I see him more as a replacement for Dumbo than Soucey.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 160
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/21/2021 5:39:21 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

I've got to believe that Addison merits a promotion to the big league. We will need at least one more defenseman besides him. Hopefully he will be a net clearer.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 161
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/22/2021 10:41:46 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

Maybe Fedor Gordeev is ready to make the jump from the AHL. He is 6'7" & 240 lbs. I bet he could knock some bodies around. Other guys in the system would be Louis Belpedio, who while only 5'11" has a bit of a brick shit house quality to him. Filip Johansson is 6'1" and defensive minded. He could be ready to jump from Sweden.

A longer shot is Ryan O'Rourke 6'2" 190. While he is only 19 and filling out, the Wild are sky high on him. The scouting report on him reads...
On the puck, O'Rourke is mean, nasty, violent -- everything one wants from a durable, robust stay-at-home defender. His battle-level is unbelievably high. He never takes a moment off, never mind a shift, and much less an entire game. O'Rourke is a capable puck-mover, too. He consistently makes good decisions with the puck and boasts an absolutely lethal slap shot. Worth noting is that O'Rourke has already played 33 games for Iowa despite being only 19.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 162
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/22/2021 11:09:13 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Maybe Fedor Gordeev is ready to make the jump from the AHL. He is 6'7" & 240 lbs. I bet he could knock some bodies around. Other guys in the system would be Louis Belpedio, who while only 5'11" has a bit of a brick shit house quality to him. Filip Johansson is 6'1" and defensive minded. He could be ready to jump from Sweden.

A longer shot is Ryan O'Rourke 6'2" 190. While he is only 19 and filling out, the Wild are sky high on him. The scouting report on him reads...
On the puck, O'Rourke is mean, nasty, violent -- everything one wants from a durable, robust stay-at-home defender. His battle-level is unbelievably high. He never takes a moment off, never mind a shift, and much less an entire game. O'Rourke is a capable puck-mover, too. He consistently makes good decisions with the puck and boasts an absolutely lethal slap shot. Worth noting is that O'Rourke has already played 33 games for Iowa despite being only 19.

Settled O'Rourke and Addison a blue line tandem for the Wild.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 163
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/22/2021 11:57:49 AM   
Mister Ed

3 goalies taken by Seattle
Can’t believe Kappo wasn’t one of them.

What was old is new again
Post #: 164
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/22/2021 12:24:35 PM   
kevinemmer

Whoa!

Gotta like the sound of The Irishman.
Post #: 165
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/22/2021 1:30:34 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

3 goalies taken by Seattle
Can’t believe Kappo wasn’t one of them.

Bullet Dodged.
Post #: 166
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/22/2021 1:36:23 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Yeap. Love it. Hasn't Belpidio been in the system for 32 years now?
Post #: 167
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/23/2021 8:45:29 AM   
stfrank

From this morning's Strib:

The Wild has two picks in the first round of Friday's NHL draft (No. 22 and No. 26). Here are five players they might target with those picks.

Zachary Bolduc, center, Rimouski (Quebec Major Junior Hockey League)

Despite having his season cut short by injury, Bolduc was still crowned the top professional prospect in the QMJHL. He's a versatile player with speed and skill.

Xavier Bourgault, center, Shawinigan (QMJHL)

A quick-thinking, fast-moving scorer, Bourgault had 40 points in 29 games last season. The center can also line up at wing.

Daniil Chayka, defense, CSKA (KHL)

After previously playing in the Ontario Hockey League, Chayka returned to his native Russia and appeared in the KHL. Not only does Chayka have size at 6 feet, 3 inches, he's also a smooth skater with poise.

Nikita Chibrikov, right wing, St. Petersburg (KHL)

This year's top-ranked player out of Russia is dynamic and creative with the puck. Chibrikov also captained Russia at the Under-18 World Championship earlier this year, racking up four goals and 13 points in seven games to help his country win silver.

Fedor Svechkov, center, Togliatti (Russia-2)

Look for the two-way playmaker to continue his development in the KHL. Svechkov was traded to SKA St. Petersburg and is signed through 2022-23.

I don't know anything about any of them. I am sure BG and his crew have been doing their home work and I hope we get some good young talent since the next few years they will be all we can afford.

< Message edited by stfrank -- 7/23/2021 8:47:38 AM >
Post #: 168
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/23/2021 10:18:42 AM   
TJSweens

Starts at 7:00 pm. Love having two picks in the first round. Love having 5 picks in the first three rounds. Love having nine picks over all. If last year is any indication, the Wild will have no qualms about trading up if they need to. That's how they got Ryan O'Rourke, the man with anger issues, last year.

Post #: 169
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/23/2021 12:01:40 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

The Wild has two picks in the first round of Friday's NHL draft (No. 22 and No. 26). Here are five players they might target with those picks.

Despite having his season cut short by injury, Bolduc was still crowned the top professional prospect in the QMJHL. He's a versatile player with speed and skill.

A quick-thinking, fast-moving scorer, Bourgault had 40 points in 29 games last season. The center can also line up at wing.

After previously playing in the Ontario Hockey League, Chayka returned to his native Russia and appeared in the KHL. Not only does Chayka have size at 6 feet, 3 inches, he's also a smooth skater with poise.

This year's top-ranked player out of Russia is dynamic and creative with the puck. Chibrikov also captained Russia at the Under-18 World Championship earlier this year, racking up four goals and 13 points in seven games to help his country win silver.

Look for the two-way playmaker to continue his development in the KHL. Svechkov was traded to SKA St. Petersburg and is signed through 2022-23.

I don't know anything about any of them. I am sure BG and his crew have been doing their home work and I hope we get some good young talent since the next few years they will be all we can afford.

I have actually seen Chayka play. One of the sports channels on directv used to show KHL games. He's a good player. You can't coach size and he moves the puck well out of the defensive zone. But, all of these young guys are crap shoots, really.
Post #: 170
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/23/2021 1:02:27 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

I have actually seen Chayka play. One of the sports channels on directv used to show KHL games. He's a good player. You can't coach size and he moves the puck well out of the defensive zone. But, all of these young guys are crap shoots, really.

Yeah, but some organizations have learned to scout and evaluate and improve their odds of hitting on their picks. Traditionally the Wild have not been one of those organizations. Hopefully that is changing.

Post #: 171
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/23/2021 2:44:54 PM   
TJSweens

Seems like the Jack Eichel rumors keep popping up. There was even one saying that an Eichel trade to the Wild could happen today. I really can't see Eichel being traded anywhere until the medical issue is cleared up. As far as I know, he still hasn't had the surgery because the Sabres refuse to okay it.

Post #: 172
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/23/2021 4:59:57 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Seems like the Jack Eichel rumors keep popping up. There was even one saying that an Eichel trade to the Wild could happen today. I really can't see Eichel being traded anywhere until the medical issue is cleared up. As far as I know, he still hasn't had the surgery because the Sabres refuse to okay it.

I just don't see BG blowing up this team for one player that has possible health issues.....
I wish he would just come out and say it just won't happen.
Post #: 173
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/23/2021 9:00:31 PM   
TJSweens

Zach Bolduc won't be the pick. The Blues grabbed him at 17.

Post #: 174
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/23/2021 9:17:46 PM   
TJSweens

Won't be Fedor Svechkov either.

Post #: 175
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode