Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/24/2021 7:02:54 AM   
stfrank

Yup, from everything I have read it seems we had an excellent 1st round getting Wallstedt and Lambos where we got them.
Wild have gone from having a bare cupboard to a very well stocked young talent pool in a few years. It may be a tough few years in cap hell, but when it's all said and done it's looking like we could be set up for a nice long run. If only Guerin could find a way to get a top notch center or two without blowing up that talent pool.
Post #: 201
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/24/2021 8:05:48 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

And the pick is Jesper Wallstedt G Sweden.

I've never seen him, but the scouts love him. Always pick a goalie with talent.

Talbot playing great and Kaapo the Goalie of the Future. I don't get this move at all.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 202
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/24/2021 8:09:42 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

I just poured through a ton of draft sites and mocks. Pretty much everyone had Wallstedt going in the 7 to 10 range. The Wild were lucky in that they had the pick that would allow Edmonton to drop only two spots. There was a lot of competition for that pick.

Most mocks had Lambos going 15 to 19 despite the mystery health issue.

Wow top 10 mocked player at 20. Sounds like a steal. Still strange with Kaapo on board.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 203
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/24/2021 8:14:32 AM   
kgdabom

This mock was the first that popped up when I googled. Walstedt at 7 Lambos at 17. Good scouting reports on both.

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/meltzers-2021-mock-entry-draft--philadelphia-flyers/c-325733268

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 204
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/24/2021 8:19:36 AM   
kgdabom

This article saying the Oilers may regret making the trade.

Oilers may regret passing on a goalie solution
By Sean Gentille

July 23, 2021 at 7:40 PM MST

If Jesper Wallstedt doesn’t turn into much, it’ll be no harm, no foul for the Edmonton Oilers. If he pans out and the Oilers continue to struggle to develop their own goaltenders? Edmonton is going to remember today, and not for good reasons.

Edmonton traded back two spots (to recoup a third-round pick) to No. 22 with Wallstedt, one of the two best goalies in the draft on the board. Minnesota, naturally, took him instead. Pronman had him as the 11th prospect; Wheeler had him at 12, writing “(Wallstedt) fills the net, he plays sharp angles, he swallows his rebounds, his movement is compact, and he reads a shooter and his options so well that he rarely has to scramble.”

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 205
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/24/2021 8:23:16 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ESPN broadcast just said that at least 3 other teams were trying to trade up to 20 for Wallstedt.

A 3rd round pick to move up from 22-20 is a pretty hefty price. So either the ESPN report was true or the Wild believed it was true.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 206
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/24/2021 11:38:09 AM   
stfrank

The Wild just took Minnesota Mr. Hockey Jack Peart, a defenseman from Grand Rapids heading to St. Cloud State, with the No. 54 pick
Post #: 207
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/24/2021 1:42:40 PM   
TJSweens

Wow. Peart was projected to go in the 20 - 25 range. A couple mocks had the Wild taking him at #26.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 208
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/24/2021 3:10:44 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Wow. Peart was projected to go in the 20 - 25 range. A couple mocks had the Wild taking him at #26.

Looks like we are winning the draft based on the mocks prior to it. Hope this guy plays 2 or more years for SCSU.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 209
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/24/2021 10:06:18 PM   
TJSweens

For what they are worth, the "experts" have universally said the Wild had a great draft. Bleacher report says they had the best draft in the league. Wallstedt is generally considered the draft's biggest steal. Jack Peart at 54 is the other pick that gets high grades. The two guys drafted in round 4 are considered risky, but with big reward potential. The middle rounds is the place to take those guys.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 210
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/24/2021 11:31:14 PM   
Lynn G.

My former next door neighbor married a Swede and has been living in Lulea, Sweden for about ten years. They met because of their shared love of hockey, and, living in Lulea, they regularly go to hockey games there. When I heard about this pick I sent her a note on Facebook to ask if she had any opinion of Wallstedt. She was ecstatic. They've watched him play a ton, and, as a Wild fan she is super thrilled that he'll be coming to Minnesota.

So that's my inside scoop.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 211
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/25/2021 10:52:44 AM   
TJSweens

That's good enough for me Lynn. Get the kid here now.

He is actually saying that he is ready to go now. Wallstedt's whole career has been spent playing against competition that is a lot older than him.

Post #: 212
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/25/2021 11:02:26 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

My former next door neighbor married a Swede and has been living in Lulea, Sweden for about ten years. They met because of their shared love of hockey, and, living in Lulea, they regularly go to hockey games there. When I heard about this pick I sent her a note on Facebook to ask if she had any opinion of Wallstedt. She was ecstatic. They've watched him play a ton, and, as a Wild fan she is super thrilled that he'll be coming to Minnesota.

However, with him being Swedish I want a scouting report from Lisbeth Salander.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 7/26/2021 6:50:17 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 213
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/26/2021 6:50:38 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

However, with him being Swedish I want a scouting report from Lisbeth Salander.

I couldn't even get a laugh out of that one? Tough crowd.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 214
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/26/2021 10:44:16 PM   
Lynn G.

I just googled her to see who the heck she was. I've never heard of her, and therefore didn't get your joke. I kind of still don't.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 215
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/27/2021 1:15:14 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

I just googled her to see who the heck she was. I've never heard of her, and therefore didn't get your joke. I kind of still don't.

She was the Swedish fictional best investigator/researcher that ever lived from the Millennium book series which features the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. If she says he is good you can take it to the bank.

I was thinking about 50% of us would know who she is. If you haven't read those or seen the movie that does diminish the impact of the joke.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 7/27/2021 10:16:34 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 216
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/27/2021 1:04:38 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

quote:

She was the Swedish fictional best investigator/researcher that ever lived from the Millennium book series which features the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. If she says he is good you can take it to the bank.

I was thinking about 50% of us would know who she is. If you haven't read those or seen the movie that does diminish the impact of the joke.

I knew who you were talking about. The book and first movie were great. The American movie...not so much.
Post #: 217
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/27/2021 1:37:55 PM   
TJSweens

First three Wild draft picks were in top-20 of their draft board

With a behind-the-scenes look, we now know where they had the 2021 draft picks ranked.

By Thomas P. Williams@nosalaryretaind Jul 26, 2021, 12:30pm CDT

The Minnesota Wild selected seven new prospects during the 2021 NHL Draft last weekend, headlined by goaltender Jesper Wallstedt the new crop of young talent is sure to impact some future decisions and cause a little bit of a relaxed feeling around the upcoming cap crunch in a few years.

But that’s for later, now it’s all about prospects and draft reports.

While some teams speak publicly about where they had their draft picks ranked on their board, we now know a conversation happened in the Wild’s war room that delved into where their first three picks were ranked among their team of scouts.

All three of Wallstedt, defenseman Carson Lambos, and blueliner Jack Peart were in Minnesota’s first 20 ranked prospects, according to their findings and scouting reports.

At the 3:25 mark of the Wild’s latest “Beyond Our Ice” video released on the team’s YouTube page, Wild director of amateur scouting Judd Brackett makes a remark to GM Bill Guerin after they were able to select Peart at 54th overall in the second round this past weekend.

“Three guys in the top 20, just like we planned,” Brackett said to Guerin in the team’s video.

While we here at Hockey Wilderness were so pumped to see those guys as the Wild’s first three picks, it’s good to know that they didn’t really settle on anyone and thought the world of the youngsters. Brackett has had a long history of finding gems throughout the seven rounds, so to have three of his top-20 fall to the Wild, it’s so great to hear.

Only time will tell how these picks will turn out, but so far it’s great.

The video is on the link.

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2021/7/26/22594542/2021-nhl-draft-minnesota-wild-prospects-lambos-wallstedt-peart

Post #: 218
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/27/2021 2:08:10 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

quote:

I knew who you were talking about. The book and first movie were great. The American movie...not so much.

The Swedish first three movies were incredible, mostly due to awesome talent of Noomi Rapace. If you haven't seen The Girl who played with Fire and The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest I highly recommend them.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 219
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/27/2021 2:11:05 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

First three Wild draft picks were in top-20 of their draft board

With a behind-the-scenes look, we now know where they had the 2021 draft picks ranked.

By Thomas P. Williams@nosalaryretaind Jul 26, 2021, 12:30pm CDT

The Minnesota Wild selected seven new prospects during the 2021 NHL Draft last weekend, headlined by goaltender Jesper Wallstedt the new crop of young talent is sure to impact some future decisions and cause a little bit of a relaxed feeling around the upcoming cap crunch in a few years.

But that’s for later, now it’s all about prospects and draft reports.

While some teams speak publicly about where they had their draft picks ranked on their board, we now know a conversation happened in the Wild’s war room that delved into where their first three picks were ranked among their team of scouts.

All three of Wallstedt, defenseman Carson Lambos, and blueliner Jack Peart were in Minnesota’s first 20 ranked prospects, according to their findings and scouting reports.

At the 3:25 mark of the Wild’s latest “Beyond Our Ice” video released on the team’s YouTube page, Wild director of amateur scouting Judd Brackett makes a remark to GM Bill Guerin after they were able to select Peart at 54th overall in the second round this past weekend.

“Three guys in the top 20, just like we planned,” Brackett said to Guerin in the team’s video.

While we here at Hockey Wilderness were so pumped to see those guys as the Wild’s first three picks, it’s good to know that they didn’t really settle on anyone and thought the world of the youngsters. Brackett has had a long history of finding gems throughout the seven rounds, so to have three of his top-20 fall to the Wild, it’s so great to hear.

Only time will tell how these picks will turn out, but so far it’s great.

The video is on the link.

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2021/7/26/22594542/2021-nhl-draft-minnesota-wild-prospects-lambos-wallstedt-peart

If these three don't turn out very good, Brackett's rep will take a hit.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 220
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/28/2021 7:31:20 AM   
TJSweens

I'll do this Charlie Walters style... A little birdie says that Alex Goligoski could sign with the Wild as soon as today.

Post #: 221
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/28/2021 8:12:40 AM   
stfrank

quote:

I'll do this Charlie Walters style... A little birdie says that Alex Goligoski could sign with the Wild as soon as today.

I'm good with that. I have always liked Alex's game.
Just finished reading Russo's article about Nick Foligno and wouldn't mind him coming over to the Wild either.
Post #: 222
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/28/2021 8:22:19 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

quote:

I'm good with that. I have always liked Alex's game.
Just finished reading Russo's article about Nick Foligno and wouldn't mind him coming over to the Wild either.

I've been a fan of his game since his days with the Gophers. He will likely slide in next to Spurgeon on the top unit. Schematically, we get smaller on the blue line, which makes it even more important to resign Ian Cole.

Post #: 223
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/28/2021 10:46:42 AM   
TJSweens

Brennan Menel traded to Toronto for a conditional draft choice.

Post #: 224
RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft - 7/28/2021 1:12:52 PM   
TJSweens

Ladies and gentlemen...Frederick Gaudreau...we got him.

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2021/7/28/22598343/minnesota-wild-free-agent-sign-contract-frederick-gaudreau-nhl-trade-rumors

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 7/28/2021 1:13:59 PM >

Post #: 225
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2021 Post Mortem Offseason and Draft Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode