Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/5/2021 1:56:35 PM   
TJSweens

The Wild claimed Rem Pitlick off waivers from Nashville.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 26
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/5/2021 3:06:00 PM   
stfrank

Our top line of Kirill-Ek-Zuccarello looks good.
Hartman slots in well with Greenway and Foligno, but after that is seems like a mix and match scenario so far.
Boldy was stuck on the 4th line and Rossi has barely had a sniff so far, so I suspect they will both start the season in Iowa unless something changes in the next week.
I like picking up Pitlick and adding another young center to the mix.
Post #: 27
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/5/2021 6:25:54 PM   
kgdabom

Kaprizov is amazing, but can we expect him to improve much from where he is now like a typical rookie of the year might. He's so much older.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 10/5/2021 9:26:07 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 28
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/6/2021 8:43:10 AM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

Kaprizov is amazing, but can we expect him to improve much from where he is now like a typical rookie of the year might. He's so much older.

Personally, I expect more from him in the future. He has only played 55 games in the NHL and is still learning what does and doesn't work at this level. At 24 he is still young with plenty of room for growth as a player and a person. Watching this team grow together should be a fun ride.
Post #: 29
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/6/2021 9:35:28 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

quote:

Personally, I expect more from him in the future. He has only played 55 games in the NHL and is still learning what does and doesn't work at this level. At 24 he is still young with plenty of room for growth as a player and a person. Watching this team grow together should be a fun ride.

Until now, the gold standard for a Wild forward was Marian Goborik. At 55 games into his career Kaprizov is already doing things that Gaborik could never dream of doing. In 55 games, he destroyed rookie records that took Gaborik 71 games to set. And consider that he did most of that with Victor Rask as his center. Kaprizov can also handle the ruff stuff. He had a nice take down and face wash of a defenseman who outweighed him by about 30 pounds. I'm with stfrank. I think Kaprizov has only scratched the surface.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 30
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/6/2021 10:36:15 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Not that you meant this in any way but they are such different players. Gaborik was all speed. He never developed another skillset. Kap has so many different tools. He's hellahard to knock of the puck when he has it and is so smart. He has great anticipation that catches most guys off guard. There's an unteachable element there that most guys just don't have.

He's also hugely competitive which is something else Gaborik didn't have. To put it as simple as I can.

Gaborik was a great athlete that plays hockey
Kap is a great hockey player who happens to also be a great athlete
Post #: 31
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/6/2021 11:27:56 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Not that you meant this in any way but they are such different players. Gaborik was all speed. He never developed another skillset. Kap has so many different tools. He's hellahard to knock of the puck when he has it and is so smart. He has great anticipation that catches most guys off guard. There's an unteachable element there that most guys just don't have.

He's also hugely competitive which is something else Gaborik didn't have. To put it as simple as I can.

Gaborik was a great athlete that plays hockey
Kap is a great hockey player who happens to also be a great athlete

Well said. Gaborik in many was a one trick pony. That trick was a damn good one. You could watch hockey for many many years and not see someone with as deceptive a release on an incredibly powerful wrist shot as Gaborik. He paired that nicely with unbelievable speed. He scored a lot of goals simply flying across the blue line and letting it go. As far as hockey sense and the ability to set up the goalie to miss like Kaprizov, Gaborik had none of it. Didn't have the puck handing skills, didn't have the anticipation and rink sight and he was less than useless in a shoot out.

Post #: 32
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/6/2021 12:05:43 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Yeap. I said it, probably, a thousand times. If Gaborik came down the left hand side, with all the speed, and DIDN't let a wrister go from the top of the circle and actually drove the net

Dude would have scored another 500 goals.
Post #: 33
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/6/2021 12:10:34 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Yeap. I said it, probably, a thousand times. If Gaborik came down the left hand side, with all the speed, and DIDN't let a wrister go from the top of the circle and actually drove the net

Dude would have scored another 500 goals.

He didn't know how. He was always in on top of the goalie so fast that he never gave himself a shooting angle.

Post #: 34
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/6/2021 7:19:20 PM   
stfrank

Wow, not even 6 minutes in to the game and the Blues are up 3-0. Granted both teams are skating mostly AHL roster guys but 3 goals on 4 shots is not good.
Post #: 35
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/6/2021 9:47:19 PM   
stfrank

And they come all the way back to tie the game in the final minute with an extra attacker and then finished it off for the win in OT.
Have to give them credit, they didn't give up after the horrendous start and kept at it to the end. Nice to see it pay off.
Post #: 36
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/7/2021 8:12:51 AM   
stfrank

Beckman gets the game winner in OT and completes the Gordie Howe hat trick in the process. The kid sure is having one hell of a training camp.
Post #: 37
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/7/2021 8:27:21 AM   
Lynn G.

Fun to watch hockey again, even if the first five minutes were crappy. You could see the progress our guys made after that, though, and it was refreshing. They took some lumps early, but adjusted both on offense and defense, and came all the way back to win.

Tonight - some of the big names play. Yay!

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 38
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/7/2021 8:49:15 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

Beckman gets the game winner in OT and completes the Gordie Howe hat trick in the process. The kid sure is having one hell of a training camp.

Yep, I think he has at least 4 goals in the exhibition games. Rossi helped set up the game winner. Beckman is making a pretty strong statement...I WANT TO STAY AND I'M GOING TO MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR YOU TO CUT ME! Love it when a kid comes into camp and does that.

Worth noting; if Beckman sticks and makes an impact, it will be yet another good pick/player acquisition from the very brief Paul Fenton regime.

Post #: 39
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/7/2021 8:50:45 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Fun to watch hockey again, even if the first five minutes were crappy. You could see the progress our guys made after that, though, and it was refreshing. They took some lumps early, but adjusted both on offense and defense, and came all the way back to win.

Tonight - some of the big names play. Yay!

Kappo was absolutely brutal in those opening minutes and then suddenly flipped the switch and was lights out.

Post #: 40
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/7/2021 12:42:06 PM   
Mister Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Yep, I think he has at least 4 goals in the exhibition games. Rossi helped set up the game winner. Beckman is making a pretty strong statement...I WANT TO STAY AND I'M GOING TO MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR YOU TO CUT ME! Love it when a kid comes into camp and does that.

Worth noting; if Beckman sticks and makes an impact, it will be yet another good pick/player acquisition from the very brief Paul Fenton regime.

Good story on Beckman on nhl.com before the game

He is making a really big impression

What was old is new again
Post #: 41
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/7/2021 1:51:59 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

By all accounts he was a very competent GM but just an asshole that nobody liked.
Post #: 42
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/7/2021 2:36:01 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

By all accounts he was a very competent GM but just an asshole that nobody liked.

SMF thinks Fenton is partly victim the Minnesota Nice culture. There are organizations that would tolerate asshole behavior from someone who was improving the team and winning. Fenton did drive some pretty well regarded people out of the organization. Especially in the analytics department. Front office moral was supposedly low almost to the point of mutiny.

Post #: 43
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/8/2021 8:40:10 AM   
TJSweens

Captain Dumbo scores the OT winner after taking the penalty that gave the Hawks the penalty shot tying goal.

Unfortunately, Boldy went down with what looked like a pretty nasty leg injury. He practically had to crawl across the rink to get off the ice. That really sucks. It was great to see him playing opposite Fiala on that line instead of Rask.

Post #: 44
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/8/2021 8:50:43 AM   
stfrank

Boldy getting hurt at the end was a bummer. I hope his injury isn't too serious and he can get back on the ice in short order.
It looks to me like Boldy-Beckman-Rossi are all destined for Iowa to start the season at the very least. I suspect Rossi will get in his 9 games at the NHL level and no more for cap reasons down the road.
Since Pitlick would have to go right back on the waiver wire, one of the open spots will probably be his. The other spot still up in the air, but my guess is Duhaime since he slots in well in the bottom six role.
The BBR line will tear it up in the AHL and get big minutes, which is exactly what Guerin wants for them at this point.
Post #: 45
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/8/2021 8:52:09 AM   
stfrank

quote:

Captain Dumbo scores the OT winner after taking the penalty that gave the Hawks the penalty shot tying goal.

Unfortunately, Boldy went down with what looked like a pretty nasty leg injury. He practically had to crawl across the rink to get off the ice. That really sucks. It was great to see him playing opposite Fiala on that line instead of Rask.

I hope we get to see Pitlick with Fiala this Saturday. His speed and skill could mesh well with Fiala.
Post #: 46
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/8/2021 8:54:59 AM   
TJSweens

Rem Pitlick’s homecoming with the Wild is all business

By DANE MIZUTANI | dmizutani@pioneerpress.com | Pioneer Press
PUBLISHED: October 7, 2021 at 7:35 p.m. | UPDATED: October 7, 2021 at 9:37 p.m.

As the clock on his dashboard approached midnight, Wild winger Rem Pitlick seriously considered pulling off at the nearest rest stop to get a few hours of shut-eye. He had a sleeping bag with him and everything.

Luckily for the 24-year-old Pitlick, his mom Lisa came through at the last minute. She found him a hotel near Quincy, Ill., meaning Pitlick did not have to sleep in his used Nissan Pathfinder. He slept for a few hours before continuing his trek to the Twin Cities.

After roughly 13 1/2 hours of driving, Pitlick finally checked into his hotel on Wednesday night before hurriedly making his way to Xcel Energy Center for a preseason game. Needless to say, it has been a whirlwind for Pitlick since the hometown Wild claimed him off waivers on Tuesday afternoon.

“Not really settled yet,” said Pitlick, who got placed on waivers by the Nashville Predators earlier this week. “I didn’t know if I was going to get picked at all. I actually had the time wrong with my agent, so I thought I didn’t get picked up. Then he called me and goes, ‘We’ve still got another hour.’ I’m like, ‘OK.’ Then I got picked up and finished the packing.”

Now that the dust is starting to settle, Pitlick is excited for the next chapter in his career, back where it all began. He cut his teeth on the outdoor rinks in Plymouth as a kid and starred for the University of Minnesota before turning pro.

Though his time with the Predators didn’t go as planned — he played in only 11 games in the NHL after signing on March 22, 2019 — Pitlick is excited that his path led him to the Wild. He grew up cheering for the hometown team and is pumped that he gets to wear the sweater for real.

That said, Pitlick made it clear that he’s not going to get caught up in the hoopla that can sometimes be associated with a homecoming.

“I’m here to play hockey and try to earn an opportunity,” Pitlick said. “It’s not trying to hang out with my family or my friends. I’m here to play hockey. And I’m going to take this very seriously.”

The biggest thing Pitlick has working in his favor is he already has been down this road. He arrived in Dinkytown as a prized recruit and managed to block out the distractions on his way to the next level. He’s confident he can do the same thing with the Wild.

“It’s like, oh my gosh, I’m here, it’s amazing, people are texting me, people want tickets,” Pitlick said of his time with the Gophers. “I was able to kind of figure out how to not be distracted during that time.”

Asked why he decided to bring Pitlick in so late in training camp, with the Oct. 15 season opener against the Anaheim Ducks right around the corner, Wild general manager Bill Guerin said he felt it was worth taking a chance on a highly-skilled kid.

“He’s the type of guy that we value,” Guerin said. “He can score. He’s got a great shot. He’s high character. In talking to people that know him well, like Bob Motzko at the U, they have great things to say about his character and his passion for the game. There’s very little risk. We just thought it made a lot of sense.”

In his conversation with Pitlick earlier this week, Guerin also made it clear that this is his job.

“I joked with him, I said, ‘You’re not coming home. You’re coming to work,’ ” Guerin said. “It can always be a big thrill playing for the home team. We are excited to have him.”

As for where Pitlick fits in the lineup, Wild coach Dean Evason said he wants to see him play before he makes that decision. The plan is for Pitlick to play in the preseason finale against the Chicago Blackhawks on Saturday night at the United Center.

“He’s got a skill set that we think is untapped obviously at this level,” Evason said. “He’s very excited about the opportunity and, speaking to him, very thankful to get an opportunity. Obviously he got put on waivers with the opportunity to probably get sent down. He’s here, and he’s going to get an opportunity for us, so we’re looking for him to be what he is.”

What exactly is Pitlick? Well, he has been a top-tier goal scorer at every level, including as a pro in the American Hockey League. All that’s left for him to do is prove it at the highest level.

“Obviously, I’ve been picked up,” Pitlick said. “But I don’t expect anything. I’m here to work. I haven’t fully established myself in the NHL. I’m coming here to work and see if I can earn an opportunity.”

Post #: 47
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/8/2021 6:13:46 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

Until now, the gold standard for a Wild forward was Marian Goborik. At 55 games into his career Kaprizov is already doing things that Gaborik could never dream of doing. In 55 games, he destroyed rookie records that took Gaborik 71 games to set. And consider that he did most of that with Victor Rask as his center. Kaprizov can also handle the ruff stuff. He had a nice take down and face wash of a defenseman who outweighed him by about 30 pounds. I'm with stfrank. I think Kaprizov has only scratched the surface.

Compare Gaborik to Kaprizov when Gaborik was 24, If you go by when he was a rookie you are comparing apples to oranges. Hey, I'm excited about having Kaprizov, but I think my question is legit. Not as much room for improvement from 24 as there is from 20.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 48
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/8/2021 6:25:16 PM   
stfrank

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Compare Gaborik to Kaprizov when Gaborik was 24, If you go by when he was a rookie you are comparing apples to oranges. Hey, I'm excited about having Kaprizov, but I think my question is legit. Not as much room for improvement from 24 as there is from 20.

I guess time will tell.
In my opinion Kirill is already a more well rounded hockey player than Gaborik ever was.
Gaborik had speed to burn and a super quick release on his wrist shot, but even after years in the league he was a liability in the defensive zone.
As a hockey player he was what Brad would call a one-trick-pony.

< Message edited by stfrank -- 10/8/2021 6:29:14 PM >
Post #: 49
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/9/2021 10:06:42 AM   
TJSweens

Kaprizov came into the league doing things at 23 that Gabby never did in his entire career. Gabby was indeed a one trick pony, but it was a hell of a trick. Fly across the blue line at warp speed and unload a wrister that was so fluid, the goalie didn’t realize the shot was off until the puck was on him.

Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode