Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/9/2021 10:24:04 AM   
stfrank

#mnwild announce prospect Matt Boldy is expected to miss 4-6 weeks with a fractured left ankle. Better news than initially expected, but he got two different scans yesterday.
That sucks for Boldy, but the way it looked originally it could have been worse.
Post #: 51
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/9/2021 1:20:12 PM   
stfrank

From Russo on The Athletic

Wild top prospect Matt Boldy out 4-6 weeks; Marco Rossi, Adam Beckman to AHL
By Michael Russo

13 Comments

Wild top prospect Matt Boldy out 4-6 weeks; Marco Rossi, Adam Beckman to AHL. Boldy was the No. 12 pick in the 2019 NHL Draft.
The Minnesota Wild announced Saturday that top prospect Matt Boldy is expected to miss four to six weeks with a fractured left ankle. This was better news than initially expected after the No. 12 pick in 2019 was injured late in Thursday’s exhibition game.

“Disappointing, clearly," Wild coach Dean Evason said. "He’s had a wonderful camp, but if he’s going to be here or not be here, it’s still clearly disappointing. It happens, as we talked about before. He’ll recover. He’s young and heal up and we’ll get him going in his pro career.”

Roster hopefuls Marco Rossi, Adam Beckman and Calen Addison were cut on Saturday, with Brandon Duhaime getting the final forward spot.

Rossi, Beckman and Addison will start the season with the Iowa Wild in the AHL. General manager Bill Guerin has indicated all along that he did not want to rush them to the NHL.

Rossi, 20, missed all of last season after being diagnosed with myocarditis. Beckman, a 20-year-old former WHL player of the year, led the Wild in scoring in the preseason. Addison, 21, was a longshot to make the roster because of his age and the fact the Wild were not going to keep eight defensemen on the roster nor put Jordie Benn on waivers.

(Photo of Matt Boldy: Harrison Barden / Getty Images)

Would Boldy have made the Wild’s roster if he wasn’t injured?
Michael Russo, Wild writer: Boldy was not likely to make the Wild’s initial roster coming out of came after the team picked up Rem Pitlick off waivers and Brandon Duhaime had a strong training camp, skating with Nico Sturm and Nick Bjugstad on the Wild’s fourth line.

How did Rossi look in preseason after missing all last season?
Russo: Rossi had his best game of the preseason Thursday against Chicago and finished with one assist in three games. Guerin did not want to rush him into the NHL after not playing much meaningful hockey the last 18 months in large part to being diagnosed with myocarditis after contracting COVID-19. He just needs games and the AHL will allow that.

Coincidentally, his mom, dad, sister and girlfriend watched Friday’s practice and planned to be in town until Oct. 25. They’ll now help Rossi in his move to Des Moines.

Will Beckman likely play for the Wild this season?
Russo: Beckman should get games. Guerin’s hope was to create a Beckman-Rossi-Boldy line in Iowa and have the three 20-year-olds dominate down there. Unfortunately, the Boldy injury will delay one of the forwards. But Beckman had an outstanding camp, leads the Wild with four goals heading into the team’s final game Saturday night in Chicago and skyrocketed up the depth chart. Evason and teammates love the kid’s energy and confidence, so he’ll be back.
Post #: 52
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/9/2021 5:06:25 PM   
TJSweens

I'm disappointed that Duhaime was the choice. They opted for a 4th line grinder over someone who could add firepower like Beckman.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 53
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/9/2021 7:21:00 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I'm disappointed that Duhaime was the choice. They opted for a 4th line grinder over someone who could add firepower like Beckman.

If the only open spot on the roster is a 4th line spot it makes sense. Would be a total waste to keep Beckman with the big club and only give him 4th line minutes. The minute they picked up Pitlick on waivers the Beckman ship sailed to Iowa.
Post #: 54
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/9/2021 7:44:28 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

quote:

If the only open spot on the roster is a 4th line spot it makes sense. Would be a total waste to keep Beckman with the big club and only give him 4th line minutes. The minute they picked up Pitlick on waivers the Beckman ship sailed to Iowa.

Put Beckman on the 3rd line with Fiala and put the human boat anchor Rask on the 4ths line.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 55
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/9/2021 8:07:25 PM   
stfrank

quote:

quote:

quote:

Put Beckman on the 3rd line with Fiala and put the human boat anchor Rask on the 4ths line.

I actually can watch the game right now and that is where Pitlick is playing. I haven't seen Rask yet, maybe he is the 13th forward.
Post #: 56
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/10/2021 9:58:04 AM   
TJSweens

Sounds like the Wild are sold on Pitlick's offensive potential. Kind of indicates that they don't see Rask as a vable option.

Evasion says he wants Rossi, Beckman and eventually Boldy playing a ton of minutes and in all situations.

I see Captain Dumbo gave up another miserable goal last night.

Post #: 57
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/10/2021 10:08:42 AM   
stfrank

quote:

Sounds like the Wild are sold on Pitlick's offensive potential. Kind of indicates that they don't see Rask as a vable option.

Evasion says he wants Rossi, Beckman and eventually Boldy playing a ton of minutes and in all situations.

I didn't watch much last night, but Dumba got caught puck watching instead of covering his man and hung Kapo out to dry.
They are stuck with Rask and his cap hit until/unless they can find a trade partner. I suspect that won't happen until the trade deadline later in the year.
From what I saw last night, Fiala and Gaudreau won't have to wait for Pitlick to catch up. He actually had a few chances at tips while driving the net.
Post #: 58
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/10/2021 10:40:26 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

I didn't watch much last night, but Dumba got caught puck watching instead of covering his man and hung Kapo out to dry.
They are stuck with Rask and his cap hit until/unless they can find a trade partner. I suspect that won't happen until the trade deadline later in the year.
From what I saw last night, Fiala and Gaudreau won't have to wait for Pitlick to catch up. He actually had a few chances at tips while driving the net.

They can just ride it out with Rask. His is in the last year of his deal.

Post #: 59
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/14/2021 8:35:35 AM   
TJSweens

Joel Eriksson Ek becomes Wild's first-line center after handsome payday

The 24-year-old center will move up from a physical trio to start the season between Mats Zuccarello and Kirill Kaprizov.

By Sarah McLellan Star Tribune

OCTOBER 14, 2021 — 6:38AM
MORE

Joel Eriksson Ek didn't reward himself with a lavish purchase after re-signing with the Wild in the summer.
He had dinner with his family.

"I didn't really do much more than that," Eriksson Ek said.
But he certainly could have.

After his best NHL season that included a career-high 19 goals, Eriksson Ek secured an eight-year contract from the Wild worth $42 million to make him the longest-signed player on the team.
His profile grew even more when he reported to training camp and learned on the first day of practice that he'd been elevated to the team's top line next to Kirill Kaprizov and Mats Zuccarello, a trio that will debut Friday when the season opens at Anaheim.

A raise and promotion, however, haven't changed Eriksson Ek.

"He's even keel all the time, that guy," winger Marcus Foligno said.
And that could help Eriksson Ek transfer the momentum from his breakout performance to his new assignment.

"I feel like I'm the same guy," Eriksson Ek said. "I'm just happy to get to play, and it's what you dream of as a kid. Just getting the opportunity to play with those two guys is, of course, fun. Those two are super-skilled players.

"I just try to [make] the best out of it. I think if I try to be something I'm not, I'm not going to be as good as I can."

Although he skated with Kaprizov and Zuccarello only sparingly last season, Eriksson Ek was already playing like a No. 1 center.
The 24-year-old anchored the Wild's most consistent line, a two-way wrecking ball with Foligno and Jordan Greenway. Not only were they adept at defending the other team's best players, but they also supplied offense, as evidenced by Eriksson Ek's 19 goals. Only Kaprizov (27) and Kevin Fiala (20) had more on the Wild.

This was a massive spike in production for the 6-3, 207-pound Eriksson Ek, whose season high during the previous four campaigns was eight after the team drafted him out of Sweden in the first round, 20th overall, in 2015. And what these finishes had in common was Eriksson Ek's positioning in front of the net.

"There's a lot of goals scored from that way," said Eriksson Ek, who buried all but two of his 19 tallies from inside the hash marks. "There are tips, rebounds, and there is not a lot of beating a goalie from outside the dots anymore."

That's the style the Wild has identified as a complement to Kaprizov and Zuccarello.
"They're so smart and so good with the puck," Eriksson Ek said. "Their passing and how they carry the puck is really good. I'm just trying to fill in for maybe what they don't do as much. Just try to go to the front of the net, take one or two guys with me to go there and … I think that can hopefully help them play with a little bit more space."
This strategy worked in the preseason, particularly against Colorado on Oct. 4; Eriksson Ek had two players near him when he crashed the crease, leaving a wide-open lane for captain Jared Spurgeon to skate into and bury a Kaprizov pass.

Later, Eriksson Ek was again by the front of the net when Kaprizov dumped a give-and-go with Zuccarello into the back of the net. And he was a screen on a Jonas Brodin goal set up by Kaprizov.
"That's his spot," coach Dean Evason said. "That's where he's comfortable. That's where he's happy. That's where we're happy he is."
What would make Eriksson Ek even happier is if the Wild succeeds.

Players hung out quite a bit last season, and Eriksson Ek sensed the group grow closer. He also felt the results on the ice — a 35-16-5 record and competitive first-round playoff loss to Vegas — were just the beginning of "something really good."

Eriksson Ek wanted to be here and in July, he and the Wild finalized his new contract after three days. A 10-team, no-trade list kicks in for the second half of the deal, which is a substantial hike from the $2.975 million Eriksson Ek earned over the previous two seasons.

"We didn't want to force that [term] on him, so we kind of came in with fewer years," General Manager Bill Guerin said. "But then they said, 'What about eight years?' And we said, 'Great.'"
Not only is that plenty of games for Eriksson Ek to make an impact for the Wild, but he'll also have more time to treat himself.

Maybe a Stanley Cup will do.
"That would be great," Eriksson Ek said. "That would be my ultimate goal."

Post #: 60
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/14/2021 9:49:57 AM   
stfrank

quote:

Joel Eriksson Ek becomes Wild's first-line center after handsome payday

The 24-year-old center will move up from a physical trio to start the season between Mats Zuccarello and Kirill Kaprizov.

By Sarah McLellan Star Tribune

OCTOBER 14, 2021 — 6:38AM
MORE

Joel Eriksson Ek didn't reward himself with a lavish purchase after re-signing with the Wild in the summer.
He had dinner with his family.

"I didn't really do much more than that," Eriksson Ek said.
But he certainly could have.

After his best NHL season that included a career-high 19 goals, Eriksson Ek secured an eight-year contract from the Wild worth $42 million to make him the longest-signed player on the team.
His profile grew even more when he reported to training camp and learned on the first day of practice that he'd been elevated to the team's top line next to Kirill Kaprizov and Mats Zuccarello, a trio that will debut Friday when the season opens at Anaheim.

A raise and promotion, however, haven't changed Eriksson Ek.

"He's even keel all the time, that guy," winger Marcus Foligno said.
And that could help Eriksson Ek transfer the momentum from his breakout performance to his new assignment.

"I feel like I'm the same guy," Eriksson Ek said. "I'm just happy to get to play, and it's what you dream of as a kid. Just getting the opportunity to play with those two guys is, of course, fun. Those two are super-skilled players.

"I just try to [make] the best out of it. I think if I try to be something I'm not, I'm not going to be as good as I can."

Although he skated with Kaprizov and Zuccarello only sparingly last season, Eriksson Ek was already playing like a No. 1 center.
The 24-year-old anchored the Wild's most consistent line, a two-way wrecking ball with Foligno and Jordan Greenway. Not only were they adept at defending the other team's best players, but they also supplied offense, as evidenced by Eriksson Ek's 19 goals. Only Kaprizov (27) and Kevin Fiala (20) had more on the Wild.

This was a massive spike in production for the 6-3, 207-pound Eriksson Ek, whose season high during the previous four campaigns was eight after the team drafted him out of Sweden in the first round, 20th overall, in 2015. And what these finishes had in common was Eriksson Ek's positioning in front of the net.

"There's a lot of goals scored from that way," said Eriksson Ek, who buried all but two of his 19 tallies from inside the hash marks. "There are tips, rebounds, and there is not a lot of beating a goalie from outside the dots anymore."

That's the style the Wild has identified as a complement to Kaprizov and Zuccarello.
"They're so smart and so good with the puck," Eriksson Ek said. "Their passing and how they carry the puck is really good. I'm just trying to fill in for maybe what they don't do as much. Just try to go to the front of the net, take one or two guys with me to go there and … I think that can hopefully help them play with a little bit more space."
This strategy worked in the preseason, particularly against Colorado on Oct. 4; Eriksson Ek had two players near him when he crashed the crease, leaving a wide-open lane for captain Jared Spurgeon to skate into and bury a Kaprizov pass.

Later, Eriksson Ek was again by the front of the net when Kaprizov dumped a give-and-go with Zuccarello into the back of the net. And he was a screen on a Jonas Brodin goal set up by Kaprizov.
"That's his spot," coach Dean Evason said. "That's where he's comfortable. That's where he's happy. That's where we're happy he is."
What would make Eriksson Ek even happier is if the Wild succeeds.

Players hung out quite a bit last season, and Eriksson Ek sensed the group grow closer. He also felt the results on the ice — a 35-16-5 record and competitive first-round playoff loss to Vegas — were just the beginning of "something really good."

Eriksson Ek wanted to be here and in July, he and the Wild finalized his new contract after three days. A 10-team, no-trade list kicks in for the second half of the deal, which is a substantial hike from the $2.975 million Eriksson Ek earned over the previous two seasons.

"We didn't want to force that [term] on him, so we kind of came in with fewer years," General Manager Bill Guerin said. "But then they said, 'What about eight years?' And we said, 'Great.'"
Not only is that plenty of games for Eriksson Ek to make an impact for the Wild, but he'll also have more time to treat himself.

Maybe a Stanley Cup will do.
"That would be great," Eriksson Ek said. "That would be my ultimate goal."

Ekker leads by example and is exactly the kind of player I wish we had a few more of.....
Post #: 61
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/14/2021 9:55:17 AM   
TJSweens

Someone who maybe should have gotten the A instead of a certain turn over prone defenseman.

Post #: 62
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/14/2021 10:13:44 AM   
kevinemmer

quote:

Someone who maybe should have gotten the A instead of a certain turn over prone defenseman.

Exactly.

Evason's reluctance to put Ekker on the 1st line last year, esp in playoffs, gives me some apprehension about him and his line choices.
Post #: 63
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/14/2021 11:45:02 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer
quote:

Exactly.
Evason's reluctance to put Ekker on the 1st line last year, esp in playoffs, gives me some apprehension about him and his line choices.

I love what they did with the roster this year. Guerin/Evason/FO has a great relationship and having the Pitt connection has helped; Buggy, Gaudreau, Benn, Goligoski, and Hartman---just winning type players that want to be here. Adding Pitlick too.

I just didn't have as good a feeling about the team last year...they seem to have firepower waiting in the wings in Iowa if something happens at the big club this year.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 64
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/14/2021 1:26:21 PM   
TJSweens

I got a good chuckle out of Chip Scoggins story about Ken Dryden giving up the one and only penalty shot goal of his illustrious career...to Tom Reid of all people. It happened 50 years ago today. Here is an excerpt:

The story starts with him (Reid) in the penalty box. As penalty time expires, he exits the box and the puck gets flipped ahead to him, giving him a rare breakaway.

"I was never one to look for points, I didn't care," he said.

Suddenly, he was all alone with the puck and Dryden in his sights. Gulp.

A Montreal player caught up and tripped him from behind, sending Reid crashing into the boards behind the goal. Referee Bruce Hood skated over to check on him.

Their exchange went as such:

Reid: I'm all right.

Hood: OK, you've got a penalty shot.

Reid: I don't want a penalty shot.

Hood: Well, you've got one.

Reid skated to his bench. North Stars coach Jack Gordon asked what was happening. No idea, Reid told him, hoping to escape the spotlight.

A frustrated Hood skated over to the bench and told Gordon to get moving, to send Reid out for the penalty shot.

"Jack looked at him, looked at me and then looked back at Bruce and said, 'Does he have to take it?'" Reid said.

Reid tried a different tack.

"Bruce," he said, "I think I broke my leg."

"He said, 'Get your butt out here because you've got a penalty shot and you're going to take it,'" Reid said.

Said Nanne: "It looked like Jack Gordon had a gas attack."

Post #: 65
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/15/2021 10:15:29 PM   
Lynn G.

Sitting here having to settle for looking at a ticker to see how the Wild are doing. We planned to watch, but found out it’s on ESPN plus, which we don’t have.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 66
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/15/2021 10:39:39 PM   
stfrank

I signed up for ESPN+ this afternoon so I could watch. It was only $6.99 a month and I can cancel any time. I wasn't planning on signing up originally, but listening to KFAN I heard Rosen say, "heck, that's only a cup of coffee."
Post #: 67
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/15/2021 10:40:53 PM   
stfrank

And they finally tie it up as I was typing that. If they win I guess it will be worth the cup of coffee.
Post #: 68
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/15/2021 11:42:52 PM   
stfrank

Foligno scores the game winner with 7.2 seconds left in an otherwise uneventful, rather boring game.
Post #: 69
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/16/2021 8:36:07 AM   
Lynn G.

Uneventful except for the epic fight, right? If it earned Foligno seventeen minutes in the box, it must have been something.

As for ESPN plus - if more Wild games will be broadcast on it, I guess we'll sign up.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 70
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/16/2021 9:13:16 AM   
stfrank

It wasn't even much of a fight. Foligno landed a couple of quick ones and took the guy to the ice. They both got an extra 10 added when they threw an extra punch after the refs jumped in and Foligno took 2 more for the cross check that started it all.
As for ESPN+, I may keep it a while since it's so cheap and they do have a lot of other out of market NHL games along with the ability to watch previous games if you miss one. I just checked and only 5 games are scheduled for ESPN+ all season so you won't miss too much if you don't sign up.
Post #: 71
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/17/2021 12:12:10 AM   
bstinger

2-0 for Gaudreau.

Some poster might come in here and claim they are going 82-0, but that's not me. Not yet. Might do that if they get to 81-0.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 72
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/17/2021 6:37:22 AM   
stfrank

Now you went and jinxed them! If we don't win the next one it's on you.

I like that they went out west and did what a good team should do, and that's beat a couple of teams that aren't as good as they are.
I was glad this west coast trip was on a weekend so I could stay up and watch them both for a change.
Post #: 73
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/17/2021 9:30:35 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

It wasn't even much of a fight. Foligno landed a couple of quick ones and took the guy to the ice. They both got an extra 10 added when they threw an extra punch after the refs jumped in and Foligno took 2 more for the cross check that started it all.
As for ESPN+, I may keep it a while since it's so cheap and they do have a lot of other out of market NHL games along with the ability to watch previous games if you miss one. I just checked and only 5 games are scheduled for ESPN+ all season so you won't miss too much if you don't sign up.

I appreciate you doing the research that I was too lazy to do.

Post #: 74
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/17/2021 9:34:49 AM   
Lynn G.

Overall it was a fun game to watch. There is no doubt that other teams are going to double team, or otherwise focus on Kaprizov, which will limit his chances to score, but he still has a way of making opposing players get flummoxed trying to keep up with him. And he's good at feeding pucks to the guys who are open because he's drawing two players on him.

We sure have a winner with Cam Talbot. I can't count the number of times my brain has flashed "Dubnyk would have let that one in" when Talbot makes a crazy good stop.

Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode