Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 4/18/2022 10:17:56 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Won’t matter. We will get crushed in the playoffs again. It was a fun regular season win but they had, something like, 9 rookies/call ups and played a night game in Dallas yesterday. We were all over them for 10 minutes, lost about 2 full periods because of our goalkeeper play and ST’s and had to “steal” it in OT.

We can score but we are not built for the playoffs.

We have Boldy back need the other 3-4 back...You don't think getting healthy will help?

I don't, sorry

I really hope I'm wrong but the signs have been there all season. We can score, 5-on-5, with anyone but our ST's are just plain bad and our FO % is going to kill us.

When I mentioned upthread that our D gives up the middle of the ice too much. I wasn't talking about in front of the net (although, that sucks too). I'm talking about right down Broadway. Outlet passes, and one's through the neutral zone, split our D like they are standing still.

All in all, we do some things really well but we also are horrible at others and they will get exploited in the playoffs.
Post #: 876
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 4/18/2022 10:19:56 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Won’t matter. We will get crushed in the playoffs again. It was a fun regular season win but they had, something like, 9 rookies/call ups and played a night game in Dallas yesterday. We were all over them for 10 minutes, lost about 2 full periods because of our goalkeeper play and ST’s and had to “steal” it in OT.

Evason will have to guess right on the goalie every game. Fleury and Talbot can both look like the Dominator one night and Devin Dubnyk the next night.

The defensive pairings have regressed. Kulikov started out like he could be a physical presence on the blue line and suddenly decided he wanted to show his offensive ability and turned into a finesse player. Aside from the occasional borderline hit from Dumba, Middleton is the only one back there playing a physical game.

Worst of all, this team has lapsed into worrying about what the other team does instead of just playing their own game.

It's why I was so dead set against that trade. Great guy/personality but he is just as likely to make a highlight save as he is to do what he did last night. Give up 3 soft-ass goals that kept a team on a 9 game losing streak in the game.
Post #: 877
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 4/18/2022 11:40:46 AM   
Phil Riewer

How will the Wild free up money to sign Fiala. Dumba, Talbot, Kulikov? Guerin is going to have to get creative or get an equal player at less $$ in a trade.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/18/2022 11:44:47 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 878
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 4/18/2022 12:00:26 PM   
Jeff Jesser

The only 2 of those guys I worry about is Fiala (gotta sign him but it's gonna be tough) and Kulikov. I would trade Dumba for future assets and say thanks to Talbot for the bridge play. If he takes a cheap, backup type contract, great!

BTW - I like Dumba. His on ice play is iffy at times but his locker room presence is good for the team IMO. I don't let him go for cheap just to get out of his contract.
Post #: 879
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 4/18/2022 1:20:21 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

The only 2 of those guys I worry about is Fiala (gotta sign him but it's gonna be tough) and Kulikov. I would trade Dumba for future assets and say thanks to Talbot for the bridge play. If he takes a cheap, backup type contract, great!

BTW - I like Dumba. His on ice play is iffy at times but his locker room presence is good for the team IMO. I don't let him go for cheap just to get out of his contract.

Sneaky trade would be Zuccarello but he has 2 years left. Going to be a tough decision. If they can get some really good talent for Fiala they may have to trade him.

Russo is against trading Fiala but there is Rossi, Beckman, and Khusnutdinov in the wings too.

Post #: 880
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 4/18/2022 2:06:20 PM   
Phil Riewer

Michael Russo
@RussoHockey
·
35m
#mnwild's Marcus Foligno has been placed into COVID-19 protocol. Can be cleared after Day 5. Mitchell Chaffee, who leads Iowa w/ 22 goals (9 goals, 13 pts past 11 games), recalled. Unless Tyson Jost can return, Chaffee would make NHL debut. Foligno banged up, so rest may be good

Post #: 881
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 4/18/2022 2:26:46 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Yeap. We're in now. Rest him. That's more valuable to us than home ice, IMO. Not against STL.
Post #: 882
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 4/18/2022 3:38:29 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

We have Boldy back need the other 3-4 back...You don't think getting healthy will help?

I don't, sorry

I really hope I'm wrong but the signs have been there all season. We can score, 5-on-5, with anyone but our ST's are just plain bad and our FO % is going to kill us.

When I mentioned upthread that our D gives up the middle of the ice too much. I wasn't talking about in front of the net (although, that sucks too). I'm talking about right down Broadway. Outlet passes, and one's through the neutral zone, split our D like they are standing still.

All in all, we do some things really well but we also are horrible at others and they will get exploited in the playoffs.

The reason I am thinking we will be in the mix....we have the snipers and I like Fluery at goaltender in the playoffs (he rises to the occasion). Get everyone healthy.

Post #: 883
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 4/19/2022 12:14:12 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

With all Due Respect Sir I believe the Playoffs are going to be our finest hour.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 884
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 4/19/2022 9:15:57 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Talbot was outstanding tonight. Not a whole lot of shots but man he saved some sitters 😳
Post #: 885
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 4/20/2022 6:57:02 AM   
stfrank

If the playoffs started tomorrow Talbot would be in the net if I was coach. He has been much sharper than Fluery and I think he deserves the net to start things out.
Post #: 886
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 4/20/2022 10:30:27 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Man, I've read some really dumb stuff over the years but Neal's Strib article that says we should keep Dumba over Fiala really ranks up there as one of the "best". Fiala is driving this team right now.
Post #: 887
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 4/20/2022 10:42:06 AM   
stfrank

quote:

Man, I've read some really dumb stuff over the years but Neal's Strib article that says we should keep Dumba over Fiala really ranks up there as one of the "best". Fiala is driving this team right now.

I didn't read it, but no way do I want Dumba over Fiala. With poor linemates he's a 20 goal scorer and with good ones 30.
We can replace Dumba easier than a 30 goal scorer!
Post #: 888
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 4/20/2022 11:31:40 AM   
Jeff Jesser

His reasoning was opposite. Super easy to find 30 goal scorers these days and Dumba has a hard shot
Post #: 889
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 4/20/2022 12:57:59 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

His reasoning was opposite. Super easy to find 30 goal scorers these days and Dumba has a hard shot

His response to the proliferation of 30 goal scorers is to keep a defenseman who is chronically out of position and turns the puck over.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 890
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 4/20/2022 2:26:05 PM   
stfrank

quote:

He needs to stick to the Twins. They will be out of it by July like usual.......
Post #: 891
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 4/20/2022 2:56:35 PM   
Jeff Jesser

ouch! but true
Post #: 892
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 4/21/2022 7:31:30 AM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

Sneaky trade would be Zuccarello but he has 2 years left. Going to be a tough decision. If they can get some really good talent for Fiala they may have to trade him.

Russo is against trading Fiala but there is Rossi, Beckman, and Khusnutdinov in the wings too.

You don't trade Zuccarello, not with the chemistry he and KK have.

Sign Fiala. Dumba gone.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 893
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 4/21/2022 7:34:07 AM   
bstinger

quote:

#1. Dumba can't stay on the ice.
#2. He lives up to his name too often.
#3. He's too expensive for what he offers.

--twinsfan
Post #: 894
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 4/21/2022 8:17:45 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

quote:

Sign Fiala. Dumba gone.

That won't be enough as others are getting raises also....Basically have to get rid of Talbot, Dumba and possibly another contract.

Zuccarello is only under contract for another year which is why I posted it....everyone else is more than 2 and would increase the cap if I looked at it right.

Post #: 895
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 4/21/2022 8:48:12 AM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sign Fiala. Dumba gone.

That won't be enough as others are getting raises also....Basically have to get rid of Talbot, Dumba and possibly another contract.

Zuccarello is only under contract for another year which is why I posted it....everyone else is more than 2 and would increase the cap if I looked at it right.

It's a little harder to get clear info on NHL salary cap than it is NFL, but I don't think it's as bad as you are saying. Not many are getting raises. NHL contracts are fairly flat. Greenway is getting a 900K bump. Goligoski is taking a 3 Mil cut.

We can afford Talbot and bring in a cheap backup unless Fleury is willing to stay for the same as Talbot, but you can probably only afford one of them.

Zuccarello has a NMC anyway.

We have a little over 8 Mil available now, if we free up 5ish by getting rid of Dumba and bringing up Addison. That gets us to 13 ish. If we get Fiala to sign for 7.5, that leaves around 6 to sign the other hole fillers. Deslauriers is making 1, Middleton 750k, Dewar 825k, Bjugstand 900k. Backup goalie 1-2 mil?

--twinsfan
Post #: 896
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 4/21/2022 9:21:25 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sign Fiala. Dumba gone.

It's a little harder to get clear info on NHL salary cap than it is NFL, but I don't think it's as bad as you are saying. Not many are getting raises. NHL contracts are fairly flat. Greenway is getting a 900K bump. Goligoski is taking a 3 Mil cut.

We can afford Talbot and bring in a cheap backup unless Fleury is willing to stay for the same as Talbot, but you can probably only afford one of them.

We have a little over 8 Mil available now, if we free up 5ish by getting rid of Dumba and bringing up Addison. That gets us to 13 ish. If we get Fiala to sign for 7.5, that leaves around 6 to sign the other hole fillers. Deslauriers is making 1, Middleton 750k, Dewar 825k, Bjugstand 900k. Backup goalie 1-2 mil?

I think Fiala may require more than 7.5. They were one time thinking they could get KK for 6, then 7, but it ended up 9.

I also see Jost, Boldy, and Chafee contracts coming up...just not much wiggle room.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/21/2022 9:23:37 AM >

Post #: 897
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 4/21/2022 10:44:27 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Jost is JAG. Easily replaceable. Haven't seen enough on Chafee yet to comment.
Post #: 898
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 4/21/2022 11:52:00 AM   
bstinger

Jost and Boldy are under contract for next year and RFA's the year after.

--twinsfan
Post #: 899
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 4/21/2022 11:53:38 AM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sign Fiala. Dumba gone.

I think Fiala may require more than 7.5. They were one time thinking they could get KK for 6, then 7, but it ended up 9.

I also see Jost, Boldy, and Chafee contracts coming up...just not much wiggle room.

Lou Nanne thinks 7.5 should get him.

If it takes more, fine, scrimp elsewhere, but you aren't getting rid of Zuccarello.

--twinsfan
Post #: 900
Page:   <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode