Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/18/2021 11:15:57 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Overall it was a fun game to watch. There is no doubt that other teams are going to double team, or otherwise focus on Kaprizov, which will limit his chances to score, but he still has a way of making opposing players get flummoxed trying to keep up with him. And he's good at feeding pucks to the guys who are open because he's drawing two players on him.

We sure have a winner with Cam Talbot. I can't count the number of times my brain has flashed "Dubnyk would have let that one in" when Talbot makes a crazy good stop.

Well Kaprizov assisted on two of the five goals so far. I’ll take that. He has great playmaking ability. That last assist was Gretzky-like fashion. Spinning around feeding Rask and making it look easy.

He’ll get his share of goals too. He’ll find a way.

I like the mix of this team. The young guys are definitely expected to be the stars. But the others they brought in to fill out the roster seem like solid vets. It’s good to have that stabilizing presence
Post #: 76
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/18/2021 1:36:13 PM   
TJSweens

It looks like so far, so good two games into the season. They may not be quite the teams they used to be, but back to back wins in Cali has always been a tough one for the Wild. They pulled it off.
There are stretches were things looked a little uneven, but that's to be expected when a team changes up personnel the way the Wild have.

One of the things I was concerned about would be the impact of moving Ek off the Foligno line. Hartman has moved right in and that line doesn't look to be missing a beat. Hartman is a smart, hard nosed, north/south center who blends nicely into that line's heavy game.

It's only two games, but I like what I have seen from Freddy Gaudreau. Another big concern of mine was that it didn't appear Fiala was going to get to get any offensive help. Freddy only had 5 career goals going into the season, but it looks like he has some offensive skills. He has shown an offensive game all the way through the AHL. He may be figuring it out at the NHL level now. It's only two games, but I am encouraged. Now if they would just get Rask the hell off that line.

The defensive pairings look good. Billy did a nice job of replacing that third pairing after losing Cole and Soucy.

Talbot, once again, is the man.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 77
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/18/2021 6:58:17 PM   
stfrank

The 4th line of Duhaime, Sturm, and Bjugstad has been really good so far and are creating a lot of chances with their speed and forechecking.
The first game wasn't anything to write home about, but we won. The second game was much better I thought with our pace picking up and we looked pretty good.
I agree Gaudreau has looked very good with Fiala and Rask is what he is at this point. Somehow, I have a feeling Benn and Pitlick aren't going to get much ice time unless Merrill and Rask have some really bad nights.
Post #: 78
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/19/2021 1:02:56 PM   
TJSweens

Home opener against the Jets tonight. I'm looking forward to seeing a game at a decent time and on a channel I actually get. The schedule starts off like usual. Wait until a week after everyone else starts and then play back to back and play a 3rd game a couple of days later. Of course when April comes around we play 9 games in 13 days to finish the season. Nothing like grinding us down heading into the playoffs.

SMF asked me to pass something along on the subject....BETTMANN!!!!

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 79
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/19/2021 1:40:38 PM   
Lynn G.

I can hear SMF's voice in that holler.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 80
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/19/2021 10:31:07 PM   
bstinger

What a game.

Ek is going to score a ton with Zukes and Special K feeding him all year.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 81
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/19/2021 10:33:19 PM   
David Levine

Unbelievable comeback!

And for Ek to tie it with a minute left and then win it in OT??

You just can’t write that stuff
Post #: 82
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/19/2021 10:53:05 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Can’t anyone just like win a normal game any more around here?
Post #: 83
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/20/2021 2:39:39 AM   
Lynn G.

How nice to be the fan of a team that makes that kind of comeback and wins in an improbable way. It seems we’re usually the ones on the other side of that scenario. Thanks Wild, for that excuse to whoop and cheer.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 84
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/20/2021 6:51:52 AM   
kevinemmer

Awesome game and crazy finish!!
That was a lot of fun.
Thank you Wild for putting pure joy back into watching Minnesota Pro Sports!
Post #: 85
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/20/2021 7:06:56 AM   
stfrank

What a fun game last night. A reminder that with this team you have to watch the whole game! We are never out of a game they way this group just keeps on working at it to the end. What a great call to challenge the empty net goal as offsides. I don't think anybody but our video guys even thought to look for that, kudos to them.
3-0 start.....let's keep it rolling.
Post #: 86
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/20/2021 7:56:27 AM   
Karl Juhnke

I loved the shots of people rushing back to their seats when the goal was reversed. I wonder how many thousands turned it off TV at that point. I might have, had I not been preoccupied browsing on iPad.

Ericsson Ek and Kap seem primed to be a dynamic duo this team hasn’t had since…ever? It’s going to be fun to watch.
Post #: 87
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/20/2021 8:32:54 AM   
TJSweens

Just love Ekkers's game. The offense came together for him last year, but before that he was always a total package player. He plays with speed and physicality and despite becoming more of an offensive player, he hasn't stopped shit mongering. Very high IQ player as well. I was a little concerned that his speed and north south game wouldn't necessarily mesh with Kaprizov and Zuccarello who play more of a methodical, weaving, east west style of game. The hockey IQ of all three of them is so high, it not only works, it can dominate.

Last night was all you could ask of a #1 center. Three goals, centered the power play, top penalty killer and won 19 of 25 face offs. I am officially done lamenting that we could have taken Brock Boeser with that pick. I wouldn't trade Ek for Boeser now and Boeser is still a hell of a player.

Post #: 88
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/20/2021 8:56:38 AM   
TJSweens

One thing that was pretty obvious, last night, is that even without Buffalo Butt, the Jets are still a pack of cheap shotting assholes. It didn't take long for the big bullseye to appear on Kaprizov's back. Foligno, as always, jumped (literally) into the fray.

Kaprizov showed his moxie too. When he leveled that defenseman with an elbow to the side of the head, that was not incidental contact. He was delivering a message. For all of their targeting, Kaprizov finished with 3 assists, including setting up the game winner. Kirill isn't big, but he won't back down.

But, again...loved that Foligno jump punch.

Post #: 89
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/20/2021 9:58:19 AM   
TJSweens

The only real negative I have about last night was that Talbot was in full on Dubnyk mode. SMF thought his angles were off, but there was also some element of the Jets being really good at squeezing every inch out of their shooting windows. I just thought he was God awful. Aside from the big OT save that triggered the winning rush.

Post #: 90
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/20/2021 10:18:16 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Thank God, you beat me to it. Love Talbot but other than OT, he was awful.

Great, confidence building win but man. Can’t give up 5…
Post #: 91
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/20/2021 10:22:25 AM   
Jeff Jesser

You can make an argument about it but IMO Faligno is the best FA pickup this franchise has ever made. I don’t care about the actual pecking order (and I understand why) but he’s the unofficial captain of this team.

Dimetra?
Rolston?
Brunette?

They all contributed but not like this. It feels like Faligno is home grown.
Post #: 92
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/20/2021 10:29:02 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Home opener against the Jets tonight. I'm looking forward to seeing a game at a decent time and on a channel I actually get. The schedule starts off like usual. Wait until a week after everyone else starts and then play back to back and play a 3rd game a couple of days later. Of course when April comes around we play 9 games in 13 days to finish the season. Nothing like grinding us down heading into the playoffs.

SMF asked me to pass something along on the subject....BETTMANN!!!!

SMF has been watching the MLB playoffs.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 93
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/20/2021 10:54:30 AM   
twinsfan

So much for needing to get that top line center this offseason.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 94
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/20/2021 11:11:25 AM   
David Levine

quote:

Just love Ekkers's game. The offense came together for him last year, but before that he was always a total package player. He plays with speed and physicality and despite becoming more of an offensive player, he hasn't stopped shit mongering. Very high IQ player as well. I was a little concerned that his speed and north south game wouldn't necessarily mesh with Kaprizov and Zuccarello who play more of a methodical, weaving, east west style of game. The hockey IQ of all three of them is so high, it not only works, it can dominate.

Last night was all you could ask of a #1 center. Three goals, centered the power play, top penalty killer and won 19 of 25 face offs. I am officially done lamenting that we could have taken Brock Boeser with that pick. I wouldn't trade Ek for Boeser now and Boeser is still a hell of a player.

You couldn't ask for a better response from a player after signing a huge contract.
Post #: 95
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/20/2021 11:50:24 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

You can make an argument about it but IMO Faligno is the best FA pickup this franchise has ever made. I don’t care about the actual pecking order (and I understand why) but he’s the unofficial captain of this team.

Dimetra?
Rolston?
Brunette?

You are 100% wrong about this. Foligno wasn't a FA. The Wild picked up Foligno in the Pomminville trade.

All kidding aside, you're absolutely right. He was just a great pickup. Foligno almost single handedly transformed the Wild from a culture of turn the other cheek and whine incessantly to the refs, to one where everybody stands up for each other. The Suter / Parise culture has been exorcised.

Post #: 96
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/20/2021 11:53:09 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Dimetra?
Rolston?
Brunette?

You are 100% wrong about this. Foligno wasn't a FA. The Wild picked up Foligno in the Pomminville trade.

All kidding aside, you're absolutely right. He was just a great pickup. Foligno almost single handedly transformed the Wild from a culture of turn the other cheek and whine incessantly to the refs, to one where everybody stands up for each other. The Suter / Parise culture has been exorcised.

He by no means is the same player now either; he has improved some every year. Went from a fourth line guy to somebody we can use on any line.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 97
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/20/2021 4:37:18 PM   
Jeff Jesser

That’s right. Totally forgot about that trade 😳
Post #: 98
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/20/2021 11:08:21 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

The only real negative I have about last night was that Talbot was in full on Dubnyk mode. SMF thought his angles were off, but there was also some element of the Jets being really good at squeezing every inch out of their shooting windows. I just thought he was God awful. Aside from the big OT save that triggered the winning rush.

Agreed.
Found myself hoping we don’t get stupid with any more back-to-back
Overloads on Cam this year.
Why? Kaapo needs some reps.
Not smart, IMO.
Post #: 99
RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season - 10/21/2021 7:16:00 AM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

quote:

Agreed.
Found myself hoping we don’t get stupid with any more back-to-back
Overloads on Cam this year.
Why? Kaapo needs some reps.
Not smart, IMO.

I think the only reason he got a back to back in Cali was because he missed his last preseason tune up due to a family emergency and needed the work. I agree that he wasn't at his best Tuesday night and we will need him to be better for sure. We really need to see Kaapo get one of the starts this weekend. It's not fair or smart to make him sit over 2 weeks at a time between starts. Doing that almost guarantees a rusty goalie when he does play.
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2021/2022 Season Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode