Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/20/2021 10:05:57 PM   
David Levine

Okogie and McDaniels totally set the tone for this game.

We started out really rough on offense, but those two were so so tough on defense we were still able to build a substantial lead.

I totally underestimated Okogie’s impact.

On the other hand, it looks like Naz is going to struggle mightily in this scheme. Even slimmed down and in great shape, he’s still so slow laterally. It was night and day on defense when he replaced KAT.
Post #: 26
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/20/2021 10:26:15 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Okogie and McDaniels totally set the tone for this game.

We started out really rough on offense, but those two were so so tough on defense we were still able to build a substantial lead.

I totally underestimated Okogie’s impact.

On the other hand, it looks like Naz is going to struggle mightily in this scheme. Even slimmed down and in great shape, he’s still so slow laterally. It was night and day on defense when he replaced KAT.

Agreed on all. I was at the game. It was a very physical game. The defensive intensity for the most part was very good. 18 steals, 13 blocks. You can win a lot of games that way, even when their missing shots like they were early. At one point I noted to my wife, the Wolves are 2-12 on 3s and still up 10…That says a lot about the defense.

And yes Naz looked like he was not up to the speed of the game.

Fire Bob Schnelker
Post #: 27
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/20/2021 10:37:26 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Did they mention on TV what if anything was going on with D’lo in the second quarter? We were sitting behind the Wolves bench. During free throws and stoppages D’lo and Finch were having heated discussion. I wouldn’t call it an argument, more like D’lo arms flailing trying to convince Finch of something, and Finch trying to calm him down and stick to plan or something.

Soon, Finch abruptly took D’lo out for the half. McLaughlin was totally not expecting to come back in. Was riding exercise bike. After D’lo came out, he pulled Naz way over away from the team by the press seats in the corner and had a talk.

I focused on D’lo in the second half and everything seemed fine. He played pretty well, besides a couple of typical maddening D’lo plays here and there. Scored a lot of point too.

Probably no big deal. Finch will say it’s just normal stuff, competitive players, heart of the moment, blah blah. And it probably is. But it was an interesting little drama.

Fire Bob Schnelker
Post #: 28
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/21/2021 5:48:32 AM   
Elliot

quote:

Seemed like Naz was getting owned by Claxton in the last preseason game too.

Life is just what happens to you,
While you're busy making other plans

~ John Lennon
Post #: 29
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/21/2021 6:47:55 AM   
wrh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

Did they mention on TV what if anything was going on with D’lo in the second quarter? We were sitting behind the Wolves bench. During free throws and stoppages D’lo and Finch were having heated discussion. I wouldn’t call it an argument, more like D’lo arms flailing trying to convince Finch of something, and Finch trying to calm him down and stick to plan or something.

Soon, Finch abruptly took D’lo out for the half. McLaughlin was totally not expecting to come back in. Was riding exercise bike. After D’lo came out, he pulled Naz way over away from the team by the press seats in the corner and had a talk.

I focused on D’lo in the second half and everything seemed fine. He played pretty well, besides a couple of typical maddening D’lo plays here and there. Scored a lot of point too.

Probably no big deal. Finch will say it’s just normal stuff, competitive players, heart of the moment, blah blah. And it probably is. But it was an interesting little drama.

I'm pretty certain it was the second of a sequence where first Ant pressed Finch to challenge a call on whether what was ruled a TWolves turnover was really a deflection. Bentz and Peterson talked about having discussed the rule change on challenges and no automatic review in the last 2 min. with Finch and how Finch would rather waste an unused challenge than not have one available in the last couple minutes. Just as talking about this D Lo was called for some foul and with it being his 3rd foul wanted Finch to challenge it and wouldn't.
Post #: 30
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/21/2021 6:56:16 AM   
Karl Juhnke

Oh I didn’t notice it was his third foul. That would explain him getting pulled.

Fire Bob Schnelker
Post #: 31
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/21/2021 7:24:47 AM   
Elliot

quote:

ORIGINAL: wrh

quote:

I'm pretty certain it was the second of a sequence where first Ant pressed Finch to challenge a call on whether what was ruled a TWolves turnover was really a deflection. Bentz and Peterson talked about having discussed the rule change on challenges and no automatic review in the last 2 min. with Finch and how Finch would rather waste an unused challenge than not have one available in the last couple minutes. Just as talking about this D Lo was called for some foul and with it being his 3rd foul wanted Finch to challenge it and wouldn't.

Nice report. Thanks for the clarification.

Life is just what happens to you,
While you're busy making other plans

~ John Lennon
Post #: 32
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/21/2021 8:17:37 AM  1 votes
McMurfy

quote:

Granted the Rockets are the worst team in the league, but that was an outstanding half of basketball.

Super aggressive on both ends.

27 point halftime lead. KAT and Ant with 21 each.

Outstanding effort.
I saw 30 years of Defensive Effort in one half.
Edwards looks slimmer, faster.
As does Towns to a lesser extent.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 33
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/21/2021 8:21:33 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: wrh

quote:

Challenging fouls? Really? If there's any contact at all, isn't it a judgement call by the ref?

I get things done
Post #: 34
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/21/2021 8:31:47 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

quote:

Granted the Rockets are the worst team in the league, but that was an outstanding half of basketball.

Super aggressive on both ends.

27 point halftime lead. KAT and Ant with 21 each.

Outstanding effort.
I saw 30 years of Defensive Effort in one half.
Edwards looks slimmer, faster.
As does Towns to a lesser extent.

I saw the traditionally lacking elements in the game. Good defense. Good defense transitioning into quick offense. Lot's of ball movement. Lot's of movement away from the ball.

Yes, we all have to reign it in a bit because it was Houston, but the Wolves looked like a team with a plan that knew how to execute that plan.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 35
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/21/2021 9:08:56 AM  1 votes
TJSweens

My favorite Ant moment last night; hitting a 3 during a Wolves run, late in the first half and signaling the Houston coach that he should call time out.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 36
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/21/2021 9:30:38 AM   
Karl Juhnke

Finch on the the teams defensive effort.
quote:

"They were all mistakes out of great effort," Finch said. "There were hardly any mistakes made out of laziness or trying to shortcut. We'll live with those and try to clean them up and get better. But we told our guys, just fly to the ball. Make them make one more play. Some nights it's going to probably hurt us, but most nights, I think it'll be able to carry us."

That’s a good summary. A lot of people say defense is just effort. That’s not entirely true. There is a system to follow, just like offense. But effort will go a long way. Okogie and McDaniel especially exemplified that, I thought.

And Towns…both offensively and defensively played with what I would call controlled intensity. More focused. That’s a good sign, as he can tend to get out of control sometimes. If he can continue that? Wow, watch out.

Fire Bob Schnelker
Post #: 37
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/21/2021 10:07:13 AM   
Phil Riewer

I have ready how many reviews say that the Wolves are a small team; they really aren't small. Shortest player in the starting lineup was Okogie who is 6'4"6'5"....I guess they don't remember the days when 6'4-6'6"" Barkley was playing center at times.

I still remember the old RTR (Todd Baumann's basketball team) with a 6'6", 6'7", and a 7'0" center front line get blocked, battered, and shutdown by DeLasalle 6'0" center, 6'1" PF, and 6'2" SF.

Media should watch tape of Beverly....

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/21/2021 10:11:24 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 38
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/21/2021 11:10:01 AM   
Karl Juhnke

They are a bit undersized, and some nights it could cause problems. McDaniel is tall but thin as a rail. While he does a good job being tenacious, getting blocks, etc. he could get pushed around against more beefy physical guys. Same with Vanderbilt. Okogie is undersized for his position too.

On the other hand, Ant is supposedly 2 inches taller too. And is a tank. Good luck to some puny shooting guard trying to guard him.

On the balance, I think most nights they’ll be fine. They create just as many matchup problems as they face.

Fire Bob Schnelker
Post #: 39
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/21/2021 11:15:09 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

My favorite Ant moment last night; hitting a 3 during a Wolves run, late in the first half and signaling the Houston coach that he should call time out.

I missed that. We were down on the Wolves end. Love it though. He has charisma and confidence to go with his talent. The arena held its collective breath when he got the ball, and he did not disappoint.

Ant and Kaprizov could own this town in short order.

Fire Bob Schnelker
Post #: 40
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/21/2021 11:22:27 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

I have ready how many reviews say that the Wolves are a small team; they really aren't small. Shortest player in the starting lineup was Okogie who is 6'4"6'5"....I guess they don't remember the days when 6'4-6'6"" Barkley was playing center at times.

I still remember the old RTR (Todd Baumann's basketball team) with a 6'6", 6'7", and a 7'0" center front line get blocked, battered, and shutdown by DeLasalle 6'0" center, 6'1" PF, and 6'2" SF.

Media should watch tape of Beverly....

Like Karl said, we're very undersized. Not in height, but in mass.

KAT is down to around 240.
Reid is down to 245.
Vanderbilt weighs 215.
McDaniels may be up to 190.
Prince is 220.

Yeah, ANT is a truck, Beverley plays much bigger than his size and DLo is big for a PG, but none of that makes up for the lack of size up front.
Post #: 41
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/21/2021 11:24:47 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

They are a bit undersized, and some nights it could cause problems. McDaniel is tall but thin as a rail. While he does a good job being tenacious, getting blocks, etc. he could get pushed around against more beefy physical guys. Same with Vanderbilt. Okogie is undersized for his position too.

On the other hand, Ant is supposedly 2 inches taller too. And is a tank. Good luck to some puny shooting guard trying to guard him.

On the balance, I think most nights they’ll be fine. They create just as many matchup problems as they face.

They always forget about wingspan, quickness, and strength. McDaniels added height too. Be nice to get another bruiser but Ant, Okogie, and Vanderbilt are already bruisers. Beverly sure plays bigger than he is also.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 10/21/2021 11:26:36 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 42
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/21/2021 11:50:24 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

I missed that. We were down on the Wolves end. Love it though. He has charisma and confidence to go with his talent. The arena held its collective breath when he got the ball, and he did not disappoint.

Ant is such a breath of fresh air. I just love the kid.

Post #: 43
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/21/2021 12:57:58 PM   
wrh

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ant is such a breath of fresh air. I just love the kid.

I believe I mentioned a while back my serious dislike for 76s Embiid especially and to a lessor extent Simmons as I see them with many of the qualities I dislike in pro athletes. Ant is just the opposite. I greatly appreciate KAT for his talent and how he carries himself, but Ant is simply infectious. Hope he can maintain this while he matures and ages.
Post #: 44
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/23/2021 8:01:09 PM   
David Levine

Crazy how far ahead of our offense our defense is so far this season.

Deflections, steals, blocks, just chaos. We’ve never had a team that defends like this.
Post #: 45
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/23/2021 8:56:15 PM   
David Levine

DLo is absolutely killing us.

2/10, 0/5, 1 Assist, 7 Turnovers.
Post #: 46
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/23/2021 9:06:11 PM   
David Levine

13-1 run since McLaughlin came in for DLo.
Post #: 47
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/23/2021 9:36:35 PM   
Karl Juhnke

A little more ugly tonight. But they put it away. Take advantage of this favorable early schedule.

Fire Bob Schnelker
Post #: 48
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/23/2021 9:40:59 PM   
David Levine

We’re lucky we played a really bad team tonight.

We lose to probably 25 other teams playing like we did.
Post #: 49
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/24/2021 7:45:38 AM   
wrh

Yeah, he definitely had a poor game, but give him credit the 8 pts late in the 4th qtr were critical to getting the win. His ability to leave previous misses, mistakes behind and focus on the moment is a positive quality. Made he can help KAT learn to control his frustrations : )

quote:

DLo is absolutely killing us.

2/10, 0/5, 1 Assist, 7 Turnovers.
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode