Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/27/2021 9:49:33 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pauldiercks1

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

quote:

The team made a horrible trade by trading Wiggins for an equally bad player with an equally bad contract and we threw in our 1st round pick.

It also appears we’ve blown our past two 1st round picks.

On the Bright Side,

“You have to be real good at being bad,
to be as bad as we’ve done well for so long.”

-McMurfy

David,
Or anyone that has input.
What is it that has you already thinking Edwards was a mistake. I'm less informed on the finer points of basketball than maybe all of you, and honestly I haven't been able to watch very much. I would think a rookie struggling might be expected, so I was just curious what you are seeing that isn't correctable or something he will improve in time such as shooting percentage?

I see all the red flags he had in college. Poor shooter, does almost nothings else on the court. Appears to have serious BBIQ and awareness issues.

The Orlando game broke me: 23 minutes. 3/14 shooting, 0 rebounds, 0 assists, 0 steals, 0 blocks, 2 turnovers, 0 contested shots, 0 deflections, 0 box outs.

This is a kid that has always been way bigger, stronger and faster than his peers. Loved football, but only switched to basketball because he knew he could make a ton of money. So he didn't grow up loving the game and missed out on all those fundamental years where you develop your instincts.

Explanation please?

I get things done
Post #: 76
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/27/2021 9:52:13 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

quote:

Russell unlikely to play tonight.

Not sure what's going on. I thought he was held out of the Pelicans game for "rest".

Story is he tweaked his quad.

Its possible that its just a way to bench him another game - and since its a national TV game, they can't "rest" him.

I'm sure he was looking forward to chasing Curry around for 34 minutes.

You mean "standing around watching Curry" for 34 minutes?

Blame Sweeney.

I get things done
Post #: 77
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/27/2021 9:53:19 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

Well the wolves may not win but Edwards threw down the dunk of the year. So we’ve got that going for us I guess.

He’s pretty damn good when they forget to defend him.

Maybe we can get him in slam dunk contest next year. That will keep the fans happy for three years.

The ol' backhanded criticism.

I get things done
Post #: 78
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/27/2021 9:54:14 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

McLaughlin is our best PG, by a lot.

I know people laughed when I said we were a better team last year when he was in instead of DLo, but he’s proving it to be true.

I also would not be surprised if Rubio is suffering from some long-term effects of COVID.

Russell, and the entire organization, should be ashamed of that fact.

That's not to say McLaughlin isn't good. He's definitely an overachiever, and an actual PG. Russell is neither.

More direct criticism this time.

I get things done
Post #: 79
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/27/2021 9:55:29 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Looks like Culver and Russell out tonight.

They won't do it, but I would start Edwards tonight.

I worry starting him is going to be rewarding bad play.

He’s regressed to doing nothing but trying to score every time he touches the ball.

He doesn’t defend, contest shots or create deflections.

He doesn’t rebound or box out.

He doesn’t really even pass anymore.

Every time he touches it, he either jacks up a 3 or attempts a drive that usually ends in an awkward fling at the hoop.

I’d short leash him until he starts doing more. If he ends up with a few 5 minute games, so be it.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a bust. More likely to be out of the league in five years than above average.

Another lost season, throw him into the fire, realize your mistake and move on.

Harsh.

I get things done
Post #: 80
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/27/2021 9:58:02 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

If the Wolves could do the draft over, think they would stick with Edwards?

One month in, and a dozen other rookies look more promising.

I think they’d still take him.

But Rosas is proving to be a horrible judge of talent.

Rosas has been a complete disappointment. I got my hopes up when he first came here. Brought in the right analytics people right away. Seemed like someone who got that you have to build a first rate front office to build a winning organization. The execution just wasn't there.

I get things done
Post #: 81
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/27/2021 9:59:14 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

We complain a lot about our lack of luck in the lottery. Does it matter? The one we got right was a fight. If I recall correctly, we had to be strong-armed off of selecting Okafor.

Cats like Brogdon and Dejounte Murray are always there. We should be way better at identifying (developing them is another story) them.

I get things done
Post #: 82
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/27/2021 10:00:45 AM  1 votes
TJSweens

You spent a day looking this shit up. Dude, you are in serious need of a life.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 83
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/27/2021 10:01:55 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

As fans, we're supposed to pretend Edwards is going to be fine. He isn't.

Forget Ball, Quickley, Wiseman, Haliburton, you think these guys don't have a better NBA future?

Hell, I'd take Stewart over him too, among nearly a dozen others.

Edwards reminds me of Derrick Williams. We fell in love with the grown man body. A man without a position.

Yikes.

I get things done
Post #: 84
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/27/2021 10:14:15 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

I know it's early, but we should've drafted Ball. We had plenty of time to mull over that decision. Rosas made a
huge mistake and that's coming from Ant's biggest fan.

Even Steve went there? And I was just about to say, after rereading all these posts, Steve was the only one that liked the Edwards pick.

I get things done
Post #: 85
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/27/2021 10:14:40 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

I know it's early, but we should've drafted Ball. We had plenty of time to mull over that decision. Rosas made a
huge mistake and that's coming from Ant's biggest fan.

I think the jury is still out. Ant has a very very high ceiling. Ball is much more developed at this point.

Good for you, Sweeney.

I get things done
Post #: 86
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/27/2021 10:22:11 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

Sam Vecenie, NBA Young Talent Ranking:

20. Anthony Edwards | 6-5 guard, 19 years old | Minnesota Timberwolves | Contract: 4 years, $44.3 million, last two years team options | PR: 2020 Draftee

The No. 1 overall pick comes in at No. 20. I wasn’t quite as high on him as Minnesota was pre-draft, ranking him No. 3. So far, he’s been pretty hit or miss. There is a lot of good and a lot more bad. Many moments showcase the immense ceiling he possesses as a player due to physical gifts that few human beings on planet Earth are lucky enough to have, and a lot of concerns remain there from his high school and college days.

Let’s start with the good. The athleticism has translated in every way it conceivably could have. He is a must-watch athlete every night because you’re afraid to miss one of the best highlights of the year. When Edwards drives, he has no issue getting all the way to the rim. The flashes of him creating shots with ease and finishing loud dunks are real. His intersection of strength and explosiveness is unlike what you see from nearly any NBA guards. He’s powerful and quick and has a 40-plus-inch vertical leap. Obviously, his dunk over Yuta Watanabe is the highlight of the NBA year so far, showcasing all of these things at once.

But here is the problem: He rarely uses those tools. Edwards drives to the basket about eight times per game according to the NBA’s site. The good news is that he takes about five shots off those drives per game, meaning that when he chooses to drive, he’s getting to his spots. Among the 179 players to take at least three drives per game this season, Edwards’ drives are more likely to end in a shot attempt than all but 15 others. But when he drives, he’s making only 34.5 percent of such shots, good for 154th-best out of those 179 players who drive at least three times per game. That’s not very good. He somehow also only gets to the line twice per game, something that is unfathomable given his ability to get by when he wants. Edwards is only driving eight times per game despite those immense tools and a lightning-quick first step, which is 67th in the league.

Mostly, this lack of time spent driving is spent jacking up poor, contested jumpers. Edwards has taken 134 shots off the bounce this season according to Synergy and has made just 29.9 percent of them. The propensity to jack up contested pull-ups tanks his efficiency, and that has truly been the case since his time at Georgia. Edwards falls in love with the step-back jumper while not being a particularly good shooter at this point. But therein lies the interesting part. Edwards showcases immense ability to get to these shots whenever he wants. These are hard shots to create, and he can do it. It’s been a huge part of why he’s been so much better. The shots have gone in over the last 14 games. He’s averaged 16.7 points while hitting 34 percent from 3. And in general, players do tend to improve as shooters as their career progresses. If Edwards takes a leap as a shooter, he’s going to become a star scorer who averages 25 points per game. That’s why you have to at least have him as a top-20 prospect right now. The upside is through the roof. He does stuff that just about no one else can do.

But the floor is lower than anyone ranked this highly too. On top of his overall scoring inefficiency right now, he’s not a good passer and doesn’t particularly find teammates in dangerous spots. Defensively, he’s bad even for a rookie because not only is he still learning the scheme of what Minnesota wants from him, but he also doesn’t particularly have good instincts. If Edwards doesn’t start to become more efficient as a scorer, there’s a real chance he’s best on a winning team as a sixth man. The range of outcomes here is about as wide as one can fathom for a No. 1 overall pick. It’s on Edwards to put in the work to make the Timberwolves’ faith in him pay off. But if we look up next year and he’s averaging 25 points per game, I don’t think I’d be stunned. The flashes are better than the guy ranked directly ahead of him [R.J. Barrett].

https://theathletic.com/2366579/2021/02/24/nba-young-talent-rankings-no-20-11-from-anthony-edwards-to-jaren-jackson-jr/

Egg on Vecenie's face.

I get things done
Post #: 87
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/27/2021 10:23:54 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

LaMelo with 24 points and 12 assists.

He's so much better than Edwards.

At literally everything but jumping and bench press.

Here we go again!

All above is from March 1.

I get things done
Post #: 88
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/27/2021 10:24:48 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

Jonathan Wasserman@NBADraftWass
LaMelo now first among rookies in scoring, rebounding, assists, steals, PER, BPM (top 40 in NBA), 3rd in 3PTM on 36.7%. Turns 20 this summer.

Also likely leads in basketball IQ

Something that MN ignored.

As usual

I get things done
Post #: 89
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/27/2021 10:25:19 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

LaMelo with 24 points and 12 assists.

30 points, 6 rebounds, 8 assists, 4 steals. 10/18 overall, 5/7 from 3.

Should've been a Wolve. I like Ant and think he can develop into a good NBA player, but LaMelo is on another level!

Steve.

I get things done
Post #: 90
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/27/2021 10:25:54 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

Maybe Ant Man will be a late bloomer like Zach LaVine.

I get things done
Post #: 91
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/27/2021 10:26:37 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

Ball 19 pts on 7-13 shooting

Edwards 19 pts on 8-23 shooting

Ed, just listing the stats.

I get things done
Post #: 92
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/27/2021 10:28:19 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

Ball 19 pts on 7-13 shooting

Edwards 19 pts on 8-23 shooting

So you’re saying they each scored 19. Stand-off in the rookie battle.

It reminds me of a conversation a long time ago I had with a co-worker who want a basketball fan and questioned why we were all saying a player was playing poorly. He said “You’re all complaining but I look in the paper and see he had 28 points “. So I said let’s take it to the extreme. Let’s say he shouts every shot for the team. Goes 20 for 90 and we lose 100-40. You’d say he had a good game because he scored 40 points.

Karlton.

I get things done
Post #: 93
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/27/2021 10:28:46 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

It’s not just that Ant is a bad shooter, it’s that he has no self awareness as a shooter.

He made his first 3 last night and then missed his next 9.

There is no way he should be taking TEN 3PAs in a game.

DL

I get things done
Post #: 94
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/27/2021 10:29:15 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

It puzzles me after all these years that the organization still hasn't figured out you have to draft guys that can shoot. It's basketball, right?

And Brad joins the fun.

I get things done
Post #: 95
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/27/2021 10:29:54 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

Melo Ball is quickly becoming the most overrated player ever on these boards.

Me on March 4.

I get things done
Post #: 96
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/27/2021 10:31:03 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

I think Ant has some good skills that could really help that team.
I guess I'm surprised that a coach doesn't put some restrictions on him on what he is allowed to do on the floor.
He seems very effective driving to the basket and making shots why not tell him he's limited to 5-6 (quality shots) a game and otherwise the needs to take it to the rack or pass up the ball.
As he works on his shot maybe at some point you can let him free.

Wouldn't some of this be on the head coaching all season?
If someone like me can see he's jacking up shots whenever he wants and very ineffective doing it, why wouldn't the coach address that very quickly?
I'm still a fan of Ant (kind of have to be I guess) but restrict him to what he does well and make him work on the rest of his game.

We'll see how the coaching aspect plays out. If Finch lives up to reputation, Ant may have a coach who can get him up to his considerable skill level. It's only been a handful of games and he will have an all star break to try implement some things. Ball was the obvious pick at #1 to everyone but Rosas. In Finch, we may have a coach who can keep it from being a Flynn over Curry level fiasco.

Somewhat decent post by Sweeney, except for the line I bolded.

I get things done
Post #: 97
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/27/2021 10:32:03 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

I guess I'm surprised that a coach doesn't put some restrictions on him on what he is allowed to do on the floor.
He seems very effective driving to the basket and making shots why not tell him he's limited to 5-6 (quality shots) a game and otherwise the needs to take it to the rack or pass up the ball.

If someone like me can see he's jacking up shots whenever he wants and very ineffective doing it, why wouldn't the coach address that very quickly?
I'm still a fan of Ant (kind of have to be I guess) but restrict him to what he does well and make him work on the rest of his game.

He's very good at driving to the basket. He's, unfortunately, horrible at finishing when he gets there.

My guess is he has very little touch. He routinely blows simple layups, and when he misses his jumpers, they CLANG hard. I can't remember ever seeing him get a "friendly bounce".

I have trouble seeing him ever as anything more than a high usage/low efficiency scorer.

Oh no!

I get things done
Post #: 98
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/27/2021 10:32:45 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

We'll see how the coaching aspect plays out. If Finch lives up to reputation, Ant may have a coach who can get him up to his considerable skill level. It's only been a handful of games and he will have an all star break to try implement some things. Ball was the obvious pick at #1 to everyone but Rosas. In Finch, we may have a coach who can keep it from being a Flynn over Curry level fiasco.

Unfortunately he's more "freak athlete" than "skilled basketball player".

He's so late to the game, I worry that he missed out on all those developmental years where you develop skills, instincts and BBIQ.

The idea of taking nuclear athletes and teaching them to play sounds great in theory, but it rarely works out.

One of the main differences between us and, say, the Grizzlies, is we target physical profiles and they target good basketball players - even if they aren't the biggest or fastest (like Clarke, Anderson, Tillman, Allen, Tyus, Bane, etc.)

I get things done
Post #: 99
RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season - 10/27/2021 10:33:11 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

It puzzles me after all these years that the organization still hasn't figured out you have to draft guys that can shoot. It's basketball, right?

They liked his grown man body.

Bill joined the party.

I get things done
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2021/2022 Season Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode