Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Our New Head Coach

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Our New Head Coach Page: <<   < prev  28 29 30 [31] 32   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/15/2022 11:42:28 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Has Zimmer been shown any interest from other teams? There was a time when his decisions were unquestionable. You'd think teams would be clamoring for him. Sarcasm and evil laugh.

I read a little blurb today where adam zimmer said that his dad is waiting for the right opportunity to return to coaching. I don't know if that's going to show up for him any time soon.

DC in 2023 for somebody. No way is he a HC again.

Some kind of “Special Advisor” or something for the Cowboys is my guess.
Post #: 751
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/16/2022 6:38:12 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

Not KAM's job to make sure we're comfy and cozy.

Sure it is. More than anybodys.

Now, there’s only so much he can blurt out without some kind of competitive or legal or proprietary info being divulged ….

But absolute silence is the fastest way to incite the mob. I’m holding a rake right now.

KAM obviously hasn’t mastered the GM art of mis-direction, meaningless platitudes, kerfluffling, fooferawing, or bumfuzzlement. Not yet.
Post #: 752
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/16/2022 7:55:08 AM   
Todd M

No one's worried at this point are they?

The only thing I'm dealing with is my desire to fast forward.
Post #: 753
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/16/2022 7:57:57 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Stay in the Now, Todd, stay in the Now .... ;)
Post #: 754
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/16/2022 8:19:08 AM   
Todd M

I hear what you're saying, Ricky, I just wish it was more comfortable.
Post #: 755
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/16/2022 8:25:39 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

I hear whispers in the wind, from butt hurt Harbaugh Stan’s, that maybe the Vikings will make another run at Jimbo.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 756
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/16/2022 8:42:19 AM   
Ricky J

I knew it!!
You just can't stay away from Twitter can you?

ha ha
Post #: 757
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/16/2022 9:03:22 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

I knew it!!
You just can't stay away from Twitter can you?

ha ha

It was actually Reddit and the other vikes board I post on..

Lotta Harbaugh Stans out there crying over not signing him…
I don’t post or read Twitter on any kind of regular manner.. I might go there a couple times a week, but only if someone posts a link that I might find interesting.. political or “ social” matters.. never..

Science or government.. sometimes.

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 758
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/16/2022 9:07:25 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I assume everybody knows what happened with McDaniels and the Colts/Patriots …

I didn’t even know who O’Connell was three weeks ago so the bigger worry for me would not be losing him so much … although he seems promising.

Its just an odd process … to hear a decision has been made, agreed upon but non-binding … and then to move forward on all the contingent offers … before the primary deal is actually closed.
Post #: 759
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/16/2022 9:20:02 AM   
Lynn G.

I suspect this happens just about every year when a coach from a Superbowl team agrees to an arrangement (can't call it a contract until it's signed) with another team, but both sides have to wait until after the Superbowl is over before they can actually ink it.

The agent for the coach has figured out all of the meat and potatoes, but neither side can make it official yet. Once the Superbowl is over, they probably want to have a big splash, so they set a date for the "official" announcement, even though it's really already a done deal. I'm not sure what the worry is about.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 760
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/16/2022 9:33:24 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

I suspect this happens just about every year when a coach from a Superbowl team agrees to an arrangement (can't call it a contract until it's signed) with another team, but both sides have to wait until after the Superbowl is over before they can actually ink it.

The agent for the coach has figured out all of the meat and potatoes, but neither side can make it official yet. Once the Superbowl is over, they probably want to have a big splash, so they set a date for the "official" announcement, even though it's really already a done deal. I'm not sure what the worry is about.

There's a 99.99999% that O'Connell will be announced today or tomorrow as our HC. The chances are very super extremely remote that something would go off track at this point.

However, there is precedent for it happening (McDaniels).

And for me, the worry is NOT that a deal couldn't be reached or O'Connell has a change of heart or whatever ... its the process going on and on.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 2/16/2022 10:14:42 AM >
Post #: 761
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/16/2022 10:38:38 AM   
Phil Riewer

Marcus R. Fuller liked
Minnesota Vikings@Vikings·6m
The 10th head coach in franchise history.

Welcome to Minnesota, Kevin O'Connell!

https://www.vikings.com/news/kevin-oconnell-head-coach-announcement

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 2/16/2022 10:39:51 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 762
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/16/2022 10:46:42 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Marcus R. Fuller liked
Minnesota Vikings@Vikings·6m
The 10th head coach in franchise history.

Welcome to Minnesota, Kevin O'Connell!

Excellent.

Let the dominoes start falling ...
Post #: 763
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/16/2022 10:59:38 AM   
Phil Riewer

It is amazing after reading Reusse's ranking of our past HC that this is only the 10th coach in history.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 764
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/16/2022 11:21:05 AM   
David Levine

Minnesota Vikings Name Kevin O'Connell 10th Head Coach In Franchise History

Eagan, Minn. (February 15, 2022) – The Minnesota Vikings have named Kevin O'Connell as the 10th head coach in franchise history. Coming off a Super Bowl LVI victory over the Cincinnati Bengals, O'Connell joins the Vikings after serving as the offensive coordinator for the Los Angeles Rams the past two seasons.

"We are ecstatic to add Kevin as our head coach," said Vikings Owner/President Mark Wilf. "He is a strong leader, an innovative coach and an excellent communicator. Kevin played the game at all levels, which gives him a unique connection to players, and he is highly respected throughout the league. Vikings fans should be excited for the future of this team under Kevin's direction."

"Kevin is an impressive and respected leader who has been a part of some explosive offensive schemes," said Vikings Owner/Chairman Zygi Wilf. "He has a tremendous football IQ and is passionate about preparing, developing and communicating with his players. Beyond the Xs and Os, everyone we spoke with throughout this search process spoke highly of Kevin's ability to motivate players, coaches and staff."

"As I spent time with Kevin during the interview process, it became immediately clear he will be a great partner in building this football team for long-term success," said Vikings General Manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah. "He understands what is critical to leading a team that wins at the highest level, and he has an ability to simplify the complex, which will help us in problem-solving in all football areas. He is a genuinely positive person who will help create a high-energy internal environment."

O'Connell, who led the Rams to finish ninth in total offense (372.1 yards per game) in 2021, helped his unit rank second in plays of 50-plus yards (10), fourth in yards per play (5.98) and eighth in offensive touchdowns (51) in 2021. Under the guidance of O'Connell, Rams QB Matthew Stafford and WR Cooper Kupp both had a career years in 2021. Stafford set the single-season team record for passing yards (4,886) and tied Kurt Warner from his 1999 MVP season for the most passing touchdowns in a season with 41, while also winning his first playoff game in his 13th season in the NFL. Kupp, who was named The Associated Press NFL Offensive Player of the Year at last week's NFL Honors, had one of the best receiving seasons in NFL history, leading the NFL in receptions (145), receiving yards (1,947) and receiving touchdowns (16), earning AP First Team All-Pro and Pro Bowl honors.

The 2020 Rams offense featured the 10th-ranked rushing attack, posting 126.1 yards per game on the ground, behind two 600-plus rushing seasons from RB Cam Akers and RB Darrell Henderson. Anchored by T Andrew Whitworth, the oldest offensive lineman in the NFL, the Rams offensive line only allowed 56 sacks in the two years O'Connell was in Los Angeles, which was good for the seventh-fewest among NFL clubs. The offensive line's sack rate, 4.5%, was the fifth-lowest in the NFL over the past two years. In addition to helping QB Jared Goff to his fourth consecutive of at least 3,800 passing yards and 20 touchdowns in 2020, O'Connell prepared QB John Wolford for a win-and-in game against the Cardinals in Week 17, helping him pass for 231 yards and rush for 56 more in his NFL debut, while leading the Rams to a 18-7 victory and a playoff berth.

"I greatly appreciate the Wilf family, Kwesi and the entire Minnesota Vikings organization for providing the opportunity to be their next head coach," said O'Connell. "This is a franchise with a deep history and a tremendous fan base. Having been on the visitors' sideline at U.S. Bank Stadium and experiencing that environment as an opposing coach, I am excited to now have the support of these passionate Vikings fans. I am committed to working tirelessly to bring them a Super Bowl championship."

Post #: 765
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/16/2022 2:08:55 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Minnesota Vikings Name Kevin O'Connell 10th Head Coach In Franchise History

Eagan, Minn. (February 15, 2022) – The Minnesota Vikings have named Kevin O'Connell as the 10th head coach in franchise history. Coming off a Super Bowl LVI victory over the Cincinnati Bengals, O'Connell joins the Vikings after serving as the offensive coordinator for the Los Angeles Rams the past two seasons.

"We are ecstatic to add Kevin as our head coach," said Vikings Owner/President Mark Wilf. "He is a strong leader, an innovative coach and an excellent communicator. Kevin played the game at all levels, which gives him a unique connection to players, and he is highly respected throughout the league. Vikings fans should be excited for the future of this team under Kevin's direction."

"Kevin is an impressive and respected leader who has been a part of some explosive offensive schemes," said Vikings Owner/Chairman Zygi Wilf. "He has a tremendous football IQ and is passionate about preparing, developing and communicating with his players. Beyond the Xs and Os, everyone we spoke with throughout this search process spoke highly of Kevin's ability to motivate players, coaches and staff."

"As I spent time with Kevin during the interview process, it became immediately clear he will be a great partner in building this football team for long-term success," said Vikings General Manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah. "He understands what is critical to leading a team that wins at the highest level, and he has an ability to simplify the complex, which will help us in problem-solving in all football areas. He is a genuinely positive person who will help create a high-energy internal environment."

O'Connell, who led the Rams to finish ninth in total offense (372.1 yards per game) in 2021, helped his unit rank second in plays of 50-plus yards (10), fourth in yards per play (5.98) and eighth in offensive touchdowns (51) in 2021. Under the guidance of O'Connell, Rams QB Matthew Stafford and WR Cooper Kupp both had a career years in 2021. Stafford set the single-season team record for passing yards (4,886) and tied Kurt Warner from his 1999 MVP season for the most passing touchdowns in a season with 41, while also winning his first playoff game in his 13th season in the NFL. Kupp, who was named The Associated Press NFL Offensive Player of the Year at last week's NFL Honors, had one of the best receiving seasons in NFL history, leading the NFL in receptions (145), receiving yards (1,947) and receiving touchdowns (16), earning AP First Team All-Pro and Pro Bowl honors.

The 2020 Rams offense featured the 10th-ranked rushing attack, posting 126.1 yards per game on the ground, behind two 600-plus rushing seasons from RB Cam Akers and RB Darrell Henderson. Anchored by T Andrew Whitworth, the oldest offensive lineman in the NFL, the Rams offensive line only allowed 56 sacks in the two years O'Connell was in Los Angeles, which was good for the seventh-fewest among NFL clubs. The offensive line's sack rate, 4.5%, was the fifth-lowest in the NFL over the past two years. In addition to helping QB Jared Goff to his fourth consecutive of at least 3,800 passing yards and 20 touchdowns in 2020, O'Connell prepared QB John Wolford for a win-and-in game against the Cardinals in Week 17, helping him pass for 231 yards and rush for 56 more in his NFL debut, while leading the Rams to a 18-7 victory and a playoff berth.

"I greatly appreciate the Wilf family, Kwesi and the entire Minnesota Vikings organization for providing the opportunity to be their next head coach," said O'Connell. "This is a franchise with a deep history and a tremendous fan base. Having been on the visitors' sideline at U.S. Bank Stadium and experiencing that environment as an opposing coach, I am excited to now have the support of these passionate Vikings fans. I am committed to working tirelessly to bring them a Super Bowl championship."

Yes and we are all tremendously patient and supportive for things to run their natural course.
Post #: 766
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/16/2022 2:11:52 PM   
Tom Sykes

I wonder if the hold up, if there was one, was nailing down the $$$ difference between Super Bowl Winner O'Connell vs Super Bowl Loser O'Connell.

Just a thought. I'm letting go now.
Post #: 767
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/16/2022 2:12:43 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Aaand.. exhale…

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 768
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/17/2022 2:21:37 PM   
Zoilo

Fun facts:
Mike Zimmer had the third best winning percentage of any Viking head coach, exceeded only by Bud Grant and Denny Green.
Grant (18 years), and Denny Green (10 years) were the only coaches to serve longer that Zimmer's 8 years.

Z
Post #: 769
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/17/2022 2:41:51 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zoilo

Fun facts:
Mike Zimmer had the third best winning percentage of any Viking head coach, exceeded only by Bud Grant and Denny Green.
Grant (18 years), and Denny Green (10 years) were the only coaches to serve longer that Zimmer's 8 years.

Wow. 28 years between two guys. Not a bad run for them.
Post #: 770
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/17/2022 2:48:50 PM   
Zoilo

It would be great if O'Connell could serve for more than 10 years.

Z
Post #: 771
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/17/2022 2:50:06 PM   
Zoilo

Grant served for 17 years and came back for one year after Steckel was fired.

Z
Post #: 772
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/17/2022 2:51:32 PM   
Zoilo

I think that Grant is the only one of the 9 coaches that was not fired.

Z
Post #: 773
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/17/2022 7:27:52 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zoilo

I think that Grant is the only one of the 9 coaches that was not fired.

Burns wasn't fired. He retired.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 774
RE: Our New Head Coach - 2/18/2022 10:27:52 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Talk is cheap but liked the energy, clarity, and themes from the O'Connell press conference.

Seeing him being part of the successful McVay coaching tree kind of adds to the hope.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 2/18/2022 10:29:27 AM >
Post #: 775
Page:   <<   < prev  28 29 30 [31] 32   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Our New Head Coach Page: <<   < prev  28 29 30 [31] 32   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode