Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2022 NFL draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2022 NFL draft Page: <<   < prev  64 65 [66] 67 68   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/1/2022 12:55:34 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

wr speedy nailor

Gzuz. Injuries mean nothing in our evaluations.

Pretty damn cool name though.

‘finger’ also.
Post #: 1626
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/1/2022 12:59:17 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: DeLain

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Detroit's GM pretty well acknowledged that they were surprised at how little Kwesi asked for when the Lions called and they jumped on it. Regardless of what the charts say, KAM could have gotten more.

Someone else referenced this. Do you know where I can find the quote from the GM?

"When we talked about trading up 12, we expected the Vikings to demand at least a first, and we were ready to pay that because we wanted our guy. When they said all they wanted was a swap of seconds and our third rounder Dan started jumping for joy. Those offers only happen once and a while so we had to jump at that." - Lions GM Brad Holmes

Again, the trade was not a disaster, but they clearly could have gotten more. I think KAM learned his lesson because he has done pretty well since.

Where did it come from, though? I can't find it anywhere in the GM's comments or reporting from credible sources. It just doesn't sound like something a GM says about another GM, and the graphic I saw came from Facebook, it looked like. Not saying you made it up, obviously, or that it definitely wasn't said, but I can't find it and it has a bad whiff.

I believe with great conviction, though I'm not certain, that this quote is 100% made up. It doesn't show up in reporting about the trade in the Detroit Free Press or The Athletic, at least that I can find. If you write the verbiage in a Google search field, you get nothing. If someone can find it reported by a credible source I will readily concede, but people are responding to this in exactly the way someone who makes up shit like this would want. Reminds me of our electoral politics.

I agree. I would need a source to give it any legs ... be really surprised if Homes ... who unfortunately I like ... poured sauce on top of getting the better of the deal.

Its probably started as a misinterpretation by a viking fan not liking the trade.

It originated from a tweet by NFC North News. I does appear to be made up after looking at other stuff they post.

Yeah, it's a fake account apparently. This has allegedly been debunked by Lions PR.

Maybe it wasn't an actual quote, but I would imagine they were thinking it.

Kwesi needs to learn that muffled laughter from the other caller is no bueno.
Post #: 1627
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/1/2022 2:18:54 PM   
bohumm

I found this somewhat useful:

Draft Grade Chart
Post #: 1628
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/1/2022 2:59:45 PM   
Jeff Allen

I am like many who don't know anything about the players drafted. But I do know about draft value and probability and the Vikings didn't do the best in this area.

Trading from 32 to 12 is similar to trading from 27 to 10. That is what the Chiefs did a few years ago. They received a third round pick that year AND a first the next year. Vikings basically received a third plus another third and a fourth for their trade back.

In the end, the Vikings gave up 12 and 46 and ended up with 32, 42, 59, and 66. We really should have been able to trade 12 for 32 and 34 and not mess with pick 46. A second round pick this year is similar to a first next year.
Post #: 1629
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/1/2022 3:04:48 PM   
Steve Lentz

Certainly not one of my favorite drafts, but I'm hoping we filled some holes and that are coaching will be much improved.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1630
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/1/2022 3:22:15 PM   
marty

Kwesi should have gotten more with the 1st trade, but I think he did well with the other trades.

The problem was the Vikings had a lot of holes, and wanted to trade back from 12. Kwesi may have thought, and the zeitgeist was that there were a lot of teams wanting to trade back in the 1st round, and few that wanted to trade up.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1631
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/1/2022 3:24:03 PM   
marty

Detroit felt desperate enough at WR to take a chance on an injury risk talented WR. And Green Bay was desperate at WR after there was the 1st round run at WR, and they may have feared it would happen again in the 2nd round.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1632
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/1/2022 3:25:54 PM   
Jeff Allen

I see that we save $7 million on that rookie slot contract by trading back...maybe the prorated amount we save this year can help us land JC Tretter.
Post #: 1633
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/1/2022 3:26:37 PM   
marty

Minnesota was also desperate at CB, I wish they would have just stayed put and hoped the injury prone Booth fell to them in the 2nd round. It would have been interesting what picks the Vikes would have made if they had done, assuming they still would have gotten Booth.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1634
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/1/2022 3:31:20 PM   
marty

Great point Jeff, on the savings, maybe leading to Tretter, or maybe a stud WR.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1635
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/1/2022 3:33:08 PM   
marty

It was wise to get an early 2nd, just like an early 4th is valuable because teams spend the night thinking about moving up.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1636
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/1/2022 3:35:56 PM   
marty

* I wonder if Kwesi's pre-draft quote about all the 7ths not equaling the value of a top pick, was a smokescreen to get teams in the top 10 to stay put (which they DID), so the pick 12 would have high value as it would be one of the 1st picks traded down.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1637
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/1/2022 3:56:57 PM   
Ricky J

Interesting:

Nick Olson @NickOlsonNFL
They really valued explosiveness, as measured by the 10-yard split:

• Cine: 99th percentile, fastest of any safety
• Ingram: 99th%
• Asamoah: 97th%
• Evans: 84th%
• Chandler, 99th percentile, fastest of any RB
• Lowe: 90th%
• Nailor: 94th%
• Must: 82nd%
Post #: 1638
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/1/2022 4:09:27 PM   
ratoppenheimer

i think that kwesi went into draft day wanting to convert his 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks into something close to four 2nd round picks - where he felt the strength of the draft held up....

also, kwesi and co. probably had already developed a select list of players that they were going to target; players that met their criteria, even if seemingly slightly off the grid, not the subjects of talking heads, and even considered reaches by most popular mock rankings -- yes, they were going to get their guys....

the hard-hitting safety with great length, range, and speed, the cornerback with great speed who would likely drop a little, the guard that seemed like a reach but was exceptional at pass blocking....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1639
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/1/2022 4:25:33 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Minnesota was also desperate at CB, I wish they would have just stayed put and hoped the injury prone Booth fell to them in the 2nd round. It would have been interesting what picks the Vikes would have made if they had done, assuming they still would have gotten Booth.

I'm pretty certain he wouldn't have lasted 11 more picks. We did the move that we needed to do. If we had come out of this draft without him it would have changed a successful draft to an unsuccessful one.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1640
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/1/2022 4:28:37 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Allen

I see that we save $7 million on that rookie slot contract by trading back...maybe the prorated amount we save this year can help us land JC Tretter.

we also added a couple of players higher up in the draft...it came out close to a wash in terms of cap hit....

2022 cap hit for #12 is only $3.1m....

we are presently $10.8m under the cap - deducting our rookie deals we are about $4.7m under...we could let ham go and gain $2.5m and rework kendricks for another $4m....

they might be thinking reed has a shot at center....

Post #: 1641
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/1/2022 4:39:11 PM   
ratoppenheimer

kene 4.32/40
ty chandler 4.38/40

what if we played both these two in the backfield, and then had them shift out into the slots/wide when the defense is still in 4-3 base - and had them each go deep center with linebackers trailing and safeties coming over to help....

Post #: 1642
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/1/2022 4:47:03 PM   
ratoppenheimer

anyone have a thought on who our punt returner is?....

Post #: 1643
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/1/2022 4:52:07 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

anyone have a thought on who our punt returner is?....

Marsette or Chandler or Osborn?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1644
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/1/2022 4:53:22 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

kene 4.32/40
ty chandler 4.38/40

what if we played both these two in the backfield, and then had them shift out into the slots/wide when the defense is still in 4-3 base - and had them each go deep center with linebackers trailing and safeties coming over to help....

Sounds OK to me, but I think we would do better with Cook and Chandler.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1645
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/1/2022 4:54:40 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

I'm pretty certain he wouldn't have lasted 11 more picks. We did the move that we needed to do. If we had come out of this draft without him it would have changed a successful draft to an unsuccessful one.

Hard to know. Not every regime has a sick morbid fascination with injuries.
Post #: 1646
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/1/2022 5:08:19 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

He still plays. I'm confident that the Vikings medical staff knows what they're doing and they OKed him.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1647
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/1/2022 5:10:10 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He still plays. I'm confident that the Vikings medical staff knows what they're doing and they OKed him.

Like Darrisaw.
Post #: 1648
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/1/2022 5:17:56 PM   
Ricky J

Beats having to work at Walmart:

Access Vikings @AccessVikings

#Vikings guarantee $250,000 to land undrafted edge rusher McCloud

Post #: 1649
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/1/2022 5:23:45 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Like Darrisaw.

Darrisaw took some time, but everything seems OK now. If he had played most of the year we probably would have made the playoffs so all his missed games hurt. You can be all worried about Booth's health. I'm choosing not to be.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1650
Page:   <<   < prev  64 65 [66] 67 68   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2022 NFL draft Page: <<   < prev  64 65 [66] 67 68   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode