Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2022 NFL draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2022 NFL draft Page: <<   < prev  66 67 [68] 69 70   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 9:30:07 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Read somewhere that our backup linebackers Dye, Lynch, and Surat aren't physical enough nor quick enough to cover....reason for drafting Asamoah.

Where does Surratt fit in? OLB? ILB? Hybrid LB/S?

Base 3-4 Defense [codename: waterbug]

Inside LBs (6-1 and under): Kendricks 6-0 232, Hicks 6-1 236, Asamoah 6-1 228

ST LBs (6-2 and over): Dye 6-3 225, Lynch 6-3 233, Surratt 6-2 233

over the last several years it seems that the NFL was transitioning to smaller faster linebackers, but i think that people are realizing is that to play linebacker you still need to be a thumper, i.e. kendricks and hicks...you have to be willing to lower your shoulder and take it on, full force....

many of these smaller 'backers just aren't used to that....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1676
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 9:36:38 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Read somewhere that our backup linebackers Dye, Lynch, and Surat aren't physical enough nor quick enough to cover....reason for drafting Asamoah.

We need some beef. Can Studwell still play?
Post #: 1677
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 10:05:44 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We need some beef. Can Studwell still play?

I see Hicks and Kendricks fine there......I see Asamoah and Sine as very good coverage guys. Sine looks like he can thump too.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1678
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 10:05:55 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

FWIW, Louis Riddick brags up Ed Ingram.

I saw video of the LSU Guard we drafted going thru some passing drills against DT from Georgia....he is very good at pass protection.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 5/2/2022 10:08:07 AM >

Post #: 1679
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 10:15:02 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Was looking at some clips of WR Nailor. Eerily similar to Diggs. Keenan McCardell's pick.

While going for a walk on Saturday I replayed KFAN Saturdays with sauce.....what a meltdown. He really wanted us to draft QB Howell and a TE in the 4th/5th.
I like similar to Diggs.
Howell and a TE over Evans and Chandler? Not IMO.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/2/2022 10:16:03 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1680
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 10:16:54 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Who is Louis Riddick?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1681
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 10:24:28 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Was looking at some clips of WR Nailor. Eerily similar to Diggs. Keenan McCardell's pick.

While going for a walk on Saturday I replayed KFAN Saturdays with sauce.....what a meltdown. He really wanted us to draft QB Howell and a TE in the 4th/5th.
I like similar to Diggs.
Howell and a TE over Evans and Chandler? Not IMO.

Howell actually went way later....at one time the #1 ranked QB. I totally agree I like Evans and Chandler.

Post #: 1682
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 10:25:00 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Who is Louis Riddick?

ESPN Analyst.

Post #: 1683
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 10:51:43 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

Who is Louis Riddick?

ESPN Analyst.

You inspired me to look up what he had to say. Booger liked Ingram also. Mel not so much.

LSU football guard Ed Ingram was selected by the Minnesota Vikings with the 59th overall selection in the second round of the 2022 NFL Draft on Friday night.

But after Ingram was selected, there was a disagreement on ESPN's broadcast as to his potential outlook as a player in the NFL.

Former LSU defensive tackle Booger McFarland and Louis Riddick sprung praise on the four-year starter, both believing that his athleticism and fundamentals could translate into a productive career in the NFL.

"You're talking about a guy who's over 300 pounds runs a five-flat (40-yard dash) and is an athlete. He shows it on tape. Just watch him move," McFarland said. "He is a people mover. The hardest thing to do is move a man against his will."

"The truth of the matter for me with Ed Ingram, I had a hard time finding bad plays from him," Riddick said. "We're going to look at Ed Ingram as one of the better offensive linemen to come out of this draft."

But Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN's top draft analyst, disagreed. He pointed toward his inconsistent mechanics and balance as a blocker as points of concern.

"I'm not as high or as sold on Ed Ingram as a future Pro Bowler," Kiper said. "I think he can be a solid starter. But he's got to be, I think, coached up from an offensive line standpoint by that coaching staff and get those fundamentals to stay consistent."

The debate then continued with Riddick directly disagreeing with Kiper's comments about Ingram's fundamentals.

"I thought fundamentals quite honestly was the strongest part of his game," Riddick said. "I thought his body posture, as far as not getting over his toes, punch timing, recovery quickness, ability to locate on the run, playing with physicality, finishing with nastiness. I was sitting there going plus, plus, plus."

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/2/2022 11:20:08 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1684
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 11:14:28 AM   
Phil Riewer

Last two times we traded with Detroit in the draft:

Dustin Baker
@DustBaker
·
1h
MIN traded with DET in 2015 and ended up with Danielle Hunter from the deal. DET used the trade to draft Alex Carter, who played one game for the franchise.

They also did business in 2010. DET got Jahvid Best and Jason Fox. The Vikings drafted Everson Griffen.

Post #: 1685
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 11:19:00 AM   
kgdabom

By various comments I've heard listening to draft stuff it seems that Kwesi and Asamoah have something in common, but I couldn't quite figure out what it is. Can somebody help me?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1686
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 11:19:39 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Dustin Baker
@DustBaker
·
1h
MIN traded with DET in 2015 and ended up with Danielle Hunter from the deal. DET used the trade to draft Alex Carter, who played one game for the franchise.

They also did business in 2010. DET got Jahvid Best and Jason Fox. The Vikings drafted Everson Griffen.

Encouraging.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1687
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 11:54:45 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

By various comments I've heard listening to draft stuff it seems that Kwesi and Asamoah have something in common, but I couldn't quite figure out what it is. Can somebody help me?

They are both of Ghana descent, I believe.
Post #: 1688
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 11:59:00 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

They are both of Ghana descent, I believe.

Thanks Tom.
I did a little checking and found out that Kwesi's ethnicity is Ovambo and sometimes referred to as Namibian. However, not all Namibians are Ovambo and not all Ovambo are Namibian's. It is a southern African tribe.
I found out that Brian is of Ghanaian heritage. I don't know if the two are related, but I'm thinking they can be as Ovambo is considered southern Africa and Ghana is southwestern Africa.
Edit: A little more checking confirmed that Kwesi is also of Ghanaian heritage.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/2/2022 12:01:30 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1689
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 12:00:57 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Dustin Baker
@DustBaker
·
1h

Encouraging.

There is photos of how less than enthused Williams was of being drafted by Detroit.....

Post #: 1690
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 12:01:52 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dustin Baker
@DustBaker
·
1h

Encouraging.

There is photos of how less than enthused Williams was of being drafted by Detroit.....

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1691
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 12:17:23 PM   
kgdabom

I did some analysis of the complicated relationships of the trades that eventually landed us Cine and Booth.

Despite me not being a fan of the Detroit trade the draft capitol to get Cine and Booth was almost 100% from that trade with some bonus.
From Detroit. Pick 32 directly used to acquire Cine
From Detroit: Pick 34 used to acquire 53 and 59
Booth and pick 122 acquired using picks 53 and 77 and some very late pick not sure which number. 77 was our own entering the draft, but we got 66 in the Detroit trade more than compensating for that. We did have to give our #46 but we still had 59 and 122 left over when all the dust settled. So I think it's fair to say that pick 12 got us both Cine and Booth.
In the end IMO the compensation was worth the trade.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1692
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 1:59:19 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

I did some analysis of the complicated relationships of the trades that eventually landed us Cine and Booth.

Despite me not being a fan of the Detroit trade the draft capitol to get Cine and Booth was almost 100% from that trade with some bonus.
Booth and pick 122 acquired using picks 53 and 77 and some very late pick not sure which number. 77 was our own entering the draft, but we got 66 in the Detroit trade more than compensating for that. We did have to give our #46 but we still had 59 and 122 left over when all the dust settled. So I think it's fair to say that pick 12 got us both Cine and Booth.

I think its fair to say we gave up a valuable piece of coastline real estate and ended up with a triplex farther inland near a main commercial artery.

The triplex is nice, three times the size of the coastal property, fits our needs ... but we'll have to put some bars on the windows and deal with some traffic noise. And thats ok.
Post #: 1693
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 2:37:04 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

I think its fair to say we gave up a valuable piece of coastline real estate and ended up with a triplex farther inland near a main commercial artery.

The triplex is nice, three times the size of the coastal property, fits our needs ... but we'll have to put some bars on the windows and deal with some traffic noise. And thats ok.

If that coastline real estate is Hamilton, Watson or Williams those properties all have significant flaws.
If Booth is close to traffic he's soundproofed, but maybe the soundproofing has a crack or two.
Cine no issues at all.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/2/2022 2:38:40 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1694
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 6:05:46 PM   
thebigo

quote:

If we stand pat, we got pick 12 and 46, who's to say that Booth isn't still there at 46? Or we toss somebody a 5th or so to move up to 42.
Post #: 1695
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 6:11:07 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Who is Louis Riddick?

ESPN Analyst.

You inspired me to look up what he had to say. Booger liked Ingram also. Mel not so much.

LSU football guard Ed Ingram was selected by the Minnesota Vikings with the 59th overall selection in the second round of the 2022 NFL Draft on Friday night.

But after Ingram was selected, there was a disagreement on ESPN's broadcast as to his potential outlook as a player in the NFL.

Former LSU defensive tackle Booger McFarland and Louis Riddick sprung praise on the four-year starter, both believing that his athleticism and fundamentals could translate into a productive career in the NFL.

"You're talking about a guy who's over 300 pounds runs a five-flat (40-yard dash) and is an athlete. He shows it on tape. Just watch him move," McFarland said. "He is a people mover. The hardest thing to do is move a man against his will."

"The truth of the matter for me with Ed Ingram, I had a hard time finding bad plays from him," Riddick said. "We're going to look at Ed Ingram as one of the better offensive linemen to come out of this draft."

But Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN's top draft analyst, disagreed. He pointed toward his inconsistent mechanics and balance as a blocker as points of concern.

"I'm not as high or as sold on Ed Ingram as a future Pro Bowler," Kiper said. "I think he can be a solid starter. But he's got to be, I think, coached up from an offensive line standpoint by that coaching staff and get those fundamentals to stay consistent."

The debate then continued with Riddick directly disagreeing with Kiper's comments about Ingram's fundamentals.

"I thought fundamentals quite honestly was the strongest part of his game," Riddick said. "I thought his body posture, as far as not getting over his toes, punch timing, recovery quickness, ability to locate on the run, playing with physicality, finishing with nastiness. I was sitting there going plus, plus, plus."

So Kiper sees him as a solid starter, the other guys see him as a pro-bowler.
Post #: 1696
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 6:26:50 PM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dustin Baker
@DustBaker
·
1h

Encouraging.

If you were a hotshot WR who could really stretch the field, would you be enthusiastic about Goff?

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 1697
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 7:06:34 PM   
lyle chabot

I think Booth will have a chip on his shoulder and if can stay healthy he may be a steal in the second round
Post #: 1698
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 7:27:21 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

If we stand pat, we got pick 12 and 46, who's to say that Booth isn't still there at 46? Or we toss somebody a 5th or so to move up to 42.

Booth may have still been there at 46. That is irrelevant to my point that we procured Cine and Booth from the Detroit draft capitol alone more or less. If we had used 12 and 46 for Cine and Booth it would have been a lesser outcome. If we got somebody else at 12 it would have been comparing apples to oranges.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1699
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 7:28:07 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Who is Louis Riddick?

ESPN Analyst.

So Kiper sees him as a solid starter, the other guys see him as a pro-bowler.

Pretty much.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1700
Page:   <<   < prev  66 67 [68] 69 70   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2022 NFL draft Page: <<   < prev  66 67 [68] 69 70   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode