Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2022 NFL draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2022 NFL draft Page: <<   < prev  67 68 [69] 70 71   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 11:04:15 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

I did some analysis of the complicated relationships of the trades that eventually landed us Cine and Booth.

Despite me not being a fan of the Detroit trade the draft capitol to get Cine and Booth was almost 100% from that trade with some bonus.
From Detroit. Pick 32 directly used to acquire Cine
From Detroit: Pick 34 used to acquire 53 and 59
Booth and pick 122 acquired using picks 53 and 77 and some very late pick not sure which number. 77 was our own entering the draft, but we got 66 in the Detroit trade more than compensating for that. We did have to give our #46 but we still had 59 and 122 left over when all the dust settled. So I think it's fair to say that pick 12 got us both Cine and Booth.
In the end IMO the compensation was worth the trade.

If we stand pat, we got pick 12 and 46, who's to say that Booth isn't still there at 46? Or we toss somebody a 5th or so to move up to 42.

You know it wasn’t just those two picks. He recouped the 4th, had four in the top 100 and ended up with 10 picks.

Also they moved up in the 2nd third and fourth round

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 5/2/2022 11:07:07 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1701
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/2/2022 11:57:24 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

I did some analysis of the complicated relationships of the trades that eventually landed us Cine and Booth.

Despite me not being a fan of the Detroit trade the draft capitol to get Cine and Booth was almost 100% from that trade with some bonus.
Booth and pick 122 acquired using picks 53 and 77 and some very late pick not sure which number. 77 was our own entering the draft, but we got 66 in the Detroit trade more than compensating for that. We did have to give our #46 but we still had 59 and 122 left over when all the dust settled. So I think it's fair to say that pick 12 got us both Cine and Booth.

If we stand pat, we got pick 12 and 46, who's to say that Booth isn't still there at 46? Or we toss somebody a 5th or so to move up to 42.

You know it wasn’t just those two picks. He recouped the 4th, had four in the top 100 and ended up with 10 picks.

I prefer Cine and Booth combination to any single player we could have drafted at 12. We possibly could have got player X at 12 and Booth, but then we wouldn't have got several other players Cine, Ingram, Asamoah, and Evans. Or since we preferred Cine to Booth we may have taken 46 and 77 and our 5th round pick to move up to 32 to draft Cine.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/3/2022 1:31:25 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1702
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/3/2022 1:05:22 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

FWIW, Louis Riddick brags up Ed Ingram.

Who is Louis Riddick?

ESPN Analyst.

You inspired me to look up what he had to say. Booger liked Ingram also. Mel not so much.

LSU football guard Ed Ingram was selected by the Minnesota Vikings with the 59th overall selection in the second round of the 2022 NFL Draft on Friday night.

But after Ingram was selected, there was a disagreement on ESPN's broadcast as to his potential outlook as a player in the NFL.

Former LSU defensive tackle Booger McFarland and Louis Riddick sprung praise on the four-year starter, both believing that his athleticism and fundamentals could translate into a productive career in the NFL.

"You're talking about a guy who's over 300 pounds runs a five-flat (40-yard dash) and is an athlete. He shows it on tape. Just watch him move," McFarland said. "He is a people mover. The hardest thing to do is move a man against his will."

"The truth of the matter for me with Ed Ingram, I had a hard time finding bad plays from him," Riddick said. "We're going to look at Ed Ingram as one of the better offensive linemen to come out of this draft."

But Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN's top draft analyst, disagreed. He pointed toward his inconsistent mechanics and balance as a blocker as points of concern.

"I'm not as high or as sold on Ed Ingram as a future Pro Bowler," Kiper said. "I think he can be a solid starter. But he's got to be, I think, coached up from an offensive line standpoint by that coaching staff and get those fundamentals to stay consistent."

The debate then continued with Riddick directly disagreeing with Kiper's comments about Ingram's fundamentals.

"I thought fundamentals quite honestly was the strongest part of his game," Riddick said. "I thought his body posture, as far as not getting over his toes, punch timing, recovery quickness, ability to locate on the run, playing with physicality, finishing with nastiness. I was sitting there going plus, plus, plus."

So Kiper sees him as a solid starter, the other guys see him as a pro-bowler.

Pretty much.

if he's an average starting guard, I'm happy....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1703
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/3/2022 1:32:53 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Who is Louis Riddick?

ESPN Analyst.

You inspired me to look up what he had to say. Booger liked Ingram also. Mel not so much.

LSU football guard Ed Ingram was selected by the Minnesota Vikings with the 59th overall selection in the second round of the 2022 NFL Draft on Friday night.

But after Ingram was selected, there was a disagreement on ESPN's broadcast as to his potential outlook as a player in the NFL.

Former LSU defensive tackle Booger McFarland and Louis Riddick sprung praise on the four-year starter, both believing that his athleticism and fundamentals could translate into a productive career in the NFL.

"You're talking about a guy who's over 300 pounds runs a five-flat (40-yard dash) and is an athlete. He shows it on tape. Just watch him move," McFarland said. "He is a people mover. The hardest thing to do is move a man against his will."

"The truth of the matter for me with Ed Ingram, I had a hard time finding bad plays from him," Riddick said. "We're going to look at Ed Ingram as one of the better offensive linemen to come out of this draft."

But Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN's top draft analyst, disagreed. He pointed toward his inconsistent mechanics and balance as a blocker as points of concern.

"I'm not as high or as sold on Ed Ingram as a future Pro Bowler," Kiper said. "I think he can be a solid starter. But he's got to be, I think, coached up from an offensive line standpoint by that coaching staff and get those fundamentals to stay consistent."

The debate then continued with Riddick directly disagreeing with Kiper's comments about Ingram's fundamentals.

"I thought fundamentals quite honestly was the strongest part of his game," Riddick said. "I thought his body posture, as far as not getting over his toes, punch timing, recovery quickness, ability to locate on the run, playing with physicality, finishing with nastiness. I was sitting there going plus, plus, plus."

Pretty much.

Then I think you'll be happy or ecstatic.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1704
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/3/2022 1:46:20 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Who is Louis Riddick?

ESPN Analyst.

Pretty much.

After some of the crap we have put up with at guard, average would be an improvement, any thing better makes the draft team look better.
Not having swinging gates at guard and a guy with nastiness?

we haven’t seen that since Herrera and Hutchison.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1705
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/3/2022 6:34:21 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Who is Louis Riddick?

ESPN Analyst.

As I see it, we now have some depth, which makes everyone better. Competition in camp is good for the team, and something that has been missing up front on offense for quite some time. If Ingram comes in and is good, it pushes the other guys to be better if they want to stay a starter.

I would be interested to see where Ingram would have gone had he not had the off-field problems.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 5/3/2022 6:42:54 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1706
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/3/2022 10:01:04 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Who is Louis Riddick?

ESPN Analyst.

Pretty much.

After some of the crap we have put up with at guard, average would be an improvement, any thing better makes the draft team look better.
Not having swinging gates at guard and a guy with nastiness?

we haven’t seen that since Herrera and Hutchison.

Yep. We've been begging for mere adequate guard play for years.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1707
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/3/2022 10:05:24 AM   
Trekgeekscott

With the talent we already have at the skill positions, I've been saying it for years....Get this Oline from suck to average and this offense will be rolling.

The only problem it should have now IMHO is the guy driving it is a stat building douchebag who doesn't have the killer instinct of a champion.

What we need driving this racecar is Dale Earnhart. Not Grandpa Joe

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1708
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/3/2022 10:27:57 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

I found this somewhat useful:

Draft Grade Chart

It's useful in realizing what a complete waste draft day grades are. The Vikings received literally every letter grade A through F. The D and F were for no other reason than the graders couldn't get past the first round swap to even look at the players taken.

I'd give it a B-to-B+. I like the fellas addressing needs. That's a nice change from the pixie dust we have been served in the past decade.

Not a big fan of moving backwards or trading within the division, but those are my hang-ups. Anything after the fourth round doesn't matter to me.

We had a horrid defense last season. They addressed it. We needed depth up front on offense, they addressed it.

I liked the plan. Now we get two years to see if they know how to evaluate talent.

Not sure we addressed our leaky run defense. Replacing Pierce with Phillips was a good start but I'd have liked to have seen us add another run stuffer for the trenches. We gave up 4.7 ypc last season. I'd still like to retain Barr on the cheap (bulk of our current LB core are under 235lbs) he's been stout against the run over his career. Ofcourse, he'd have to check out medically.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1709
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/3/2022 10:30:15 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

I saw video of the LSU Guard we drafted going thru some passing drills against DT from Georgia....he is very good at pass protection.

Read he handles the bull rush effectively which has been a big problem for IOL

Post #: 1710
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/3/2022 10:36:20 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

With the talent we already have at the skill positions, I've been saying it for years....Get this Oline from suck to average and this offense will be rolling.

The only problem it should have now IMHO is the guy driving it is a stat building douchebag who doesn't have the killer instinct of a champion.

What we need driving this racecar is Dale Earnhart. Not Grandpa Joe

Right, a killer instinct of a champion would of just lead this team deep into the playoffs with all it's deficiencies. No matter that we had the worst defense in the NfL, an OL that can't get from suck to avg, the biggest prob is the guy driving the race car ...

Good one.

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 5/3/2022 10:37:30 AM >
Post #: 1711
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/3/2022 10:38:29 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

Last two times we traded with Detroit in the draft:

Dustin Baker
@DustBaker
·
1h
MIN traded with DET in 2015 and ended up with Danielle Hunter from the deal. DET used the trade to draft Alex Carter, who played one game for the franchise.

They also did business in 2010. DET got Jahvid Best and Jason Fox. The Vikings drafted Everson Griffen.

Encouraging.
He could be torching us for years to come (like what Moss did over his career to Dallas)

There is photos of how less than enthused Williams was of being drafted by Detroit.....

Post #: 1712
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/3/2022 11:05:35 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

The point is, did we get fleeced in the initial Detroit trade? If we did then we gave up draft capital for later recouping/moving up. If you go by the Jimmy Johnson (historical standard) or the Rich Hill draft point charts, we got fleeced. And just eyeballing that trade vs what we've seen in the past, we got fleeced. If you go by the Fitzgerald-Spielberger or the Harvard draft points charts, both of which seem more analytics based and devalue lower picks less, then the Detroit trade seems good for us.
Post #: 1713
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/3/2022 11:17:20 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The point is, did we get fleeced in the initial Detroit trade? If we did then we gave up draft capital for later recouping/moving up. If you go by the Jimmy Johnson (historical standard) or the Rich Hill draft point charts, we got fleeced. And just eyeballing that trade vs what we've seen in the past, we got fleeced. If you go by the Fitzgerald-Spielberger or the Harvard draft points charts, both of which seem more analytics based and devalue lower picks less, then the Detroit trade seems good for us.

I think Kwesi should have got more, but that's easy for me to say and it very likely could be he got every iota he could have. The end result of getting Cine and Booth IMO was better than any one player we could have drafted at 12 so to me it worked out in the end.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1714
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/3/2022 11:20:52 AM   
Todd M

I'm not worried about value now.

I did try and look at that 4th round action. Giving up next years 4th and going back and forth with the Raiders. I couldn't put together what the net cost if all that was...

I'm stoked about the players we landed though and that's all that matters.
Post #: 1715
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/3/2022 11:22:18 AM   
Todd M

Starting S, G, CB and lots of depth.

Kwesi is back in my good books.
Post #: 1716
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/3/2022 11:23:28 AM   
marty

Kwesi didn't get quite enough value for 12, but made up for it by fleecing the Pack.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1717
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/3/2022 11:24:54 AM   
marty

Griffin, Hunter, and now CineMax.

It appears the Vikings should trade MORE often with Detroit.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1718
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/3/2022 11:55:47 AM   
Todd M

The way I look at it Detroit was going to give up picks...we wanted to move down...I don't like that Kwesi said it was too good to pass up bc that's not the truth. We made a deal to make a deal. We did fine overall so what will it matter in a few years?
Post #: 1719
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/3/2022 12:07:07 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I did try and look at that 4th round action. Giving up next years 4th and going back and forth with the Raiders. I couldn't put together what the net cost if all that was...

Good Attitude.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1720
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/3/2022 1:55:08 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

by draft pick #66 only two teams had picked four players....

vikings...4 by #66
houston...4 by #44

Post #: 1721
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/3/2022 3:03:10 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

vikings...4 by #66
houston...4 by #44

Kwesi for better or worse engineered it. First pick 32. We had 4 picks within 3 picks of all being 2nd round. I like Ingram and Asamoah, but both seem a bit early.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1722
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/3/2022 3:18:19 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

vikings...4 by #66
houston...4 by #44

Kwesi for better or worse engineered it. First pick 32. We had 4 picks within 3 picks of all being 2nd round. I like Ingram and Asamoah, but both seem a bit early.

they are probably early by most experts' standards, but kwesi most likely targeted them, and others that he selected...he wasn't concerned with how they were valued by others....

Post #: 1723
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/3/2022 3:23:00 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

vikings...4 by #66
houston...4 by #44

they are probably early by most experts' standards, but kwesi most likely targeted them, and others that he selected...he wasn't concerned with how they were valued by others....

"With the 59th pick in the NFL Draft, the Vikings selected Ed Ingram, guard, LSU. The Vikings acquired the 59th pick in a trade with the Packers, which included the 53rd pick, in exchange for the 34th pick.

Ingram was ranked the 101st on the consensus big board, and 8th ranked guard. He was selected two picks after G Luke Goedeke, 100th on the consensus big board, was selected by Tampa Bay. The 49ers, with needs at both guard positions, had a top 30 visit with Ingram, and picked two spots after the Vikings."...dailynorseman

Post #: 1724
RE: 2022 NFL draft - 5/3/2022 3:55:50 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

vikings...4 by #66
houston...4 by #44

"With the 59th pick in the NFL Draft, the Vikings selected Ed Ingram, guard, LSU. The Vikings acquired the 59th pick in a trade with the Packers, which included the 53rd pick, in exchange for the 34th pick.

Ingram was ranked the 101st on the consensus big board, and 8th ranked guard. He was selected two picks after G Luke Goedeke, 100th on the consensus big board, was selected by Tampa Bay. The 49ers, with needs at both guard positions, had a top 30 visit with Ingram, and picked two spots after the Vikings."...dailynorseman

So concern that the 49ers would take him forced our hand.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1725
Page:   <<   < prev  67 68 [69] 70 71   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2022 NFL draft Page: <<   < prev  67 68 [69] 70 71   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode