Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread Page: <<   < prev  83 84 [85] 86 87   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/13/2022 9:23:49 PM   
TJSweens

No "team no hitter" or "team shut out".

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2101
RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/14/2022 6:17:37 AM   
Mister Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

No "team no hitter" or "team shut out".

Inexcusable

Save the bullpen

or some such nonsense

and you wind up coughing up 3 runs on top of losing the no hitter

What was old is new again
Post #: 2102
RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/14/2022 10:48:35 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Anatomy of another disappointment.

Off Season: Falvine started off looking like they were making the right moves. Before the lockout, they nailed Buxton down to multi-year deal that protected them from Buck's extensive injury history. They traded a shiny coin for Sonny Gray. Heading into spring training they shocked everybody and signed Correa. They made a series of moves in trading Fred Garvin for Kiner Filefa and 24 hour later packaging KF and Donaldson for Urshala and Sanchez.

The problem is that they needed another front line starter to go with Gray. Instead, they decided to sign Homer Bai...I mean JA Happ and Matt Shoe...I mean Al Bundy and Chris Archer. This assured that they would have to rely on unproven Joe Ryan and injury prone Bailey Ober to fill the 2-3 slots. Then they made a deal to add hard throwing high era Chris Paddack, despite knowing his elbow was hanging on by a thread. The also brought in Pagan to further weaken an already bad bullpen. But, what the hell, they still had Smeltzer and Uber waiting in the wings.

We were all heartened when the Twins started the season with Jake Cave off the 40 man roster. Youth was being served. Kirilloff and Larnach were playing and contributing. Correa was flashing great play and even greater leadership. Buck was healthy. Jeffers and Sanchez looked like a viable catching rotation. Ryan and Ober started out well. Paddack wasn't half bad and even Ted Bundy was contributing. The Twins were winning and then...

Injuries, injuries and more injuries. First was Sano and we all thought...great, this opens up more time for young players. Then the last strand of Paddack's UCL snapped. Winder came up, looked good, shut down for second straight year with a shoulder impingement. Ober missed months with a groin pull. Larnach, abdominal surgery. Kirilloff, season ending wrist surgery. Jeffers injury exposed the complete lack of depth at catcher. The Twins acquired Sonny Leon to catch. A man so bad he lost his job to Matt Hedges. Oh yeah, that bs about resting Buxton regularly to keep him healthy. Turns out he was hurt right away and they were resting him regularly to save on a gimpy knee. Worked so much better than just shutting him down when it happened. A season of favoring the knee aggravated the ligaments in his hip. So, Buck is on the IL while the games matter most.

As inevitable as death and taxes, Smeltzer and Cave returned to the roster and the lineup.

The bullpen imploded. Pagan made everyone pine for Colome. Duffey completely lost his stuff. The Twins tried to remedy this by cycling 97 pitchers between the majors and AAA. This was bound to confuse the other teams hitters right? Rocco made a horrible situation worse by refusing to let starters pitch more than 2 times through the rotation. A terrible bullpen became a terrible & overworked bullpen.

Speaking of Rocco, his game management has been pathetic. It's not just pitching mismanagement. Other coaches have been bad as well. Mayor Watkins has surpassed every previous Twins 3B coach in sending runners to an untimely demise at home plate.

I'm sure I have overlooked plenty. The Twins will no doubt chalk it up to bad luck. The Wonder Twins will probably stand pat with the pitching staff. No doubt they will bank on Maeda coming back like he was in 2020. They will assume Paddack will be just fine after a second TJ. They will stick with Rocco and his bad managing. They will stand behind Sean Johnson and his terrible drafts. The Pohlads will stand behind Falvine and their culture of mediocrity.

Stick a fork in 2022 and rinse and repeat for 2023.

Though true this post was posted about a month early.

Too soon sir

Too soon

I wish it was as easy to stop hating, as it was to start - Cmdr Chakotay - Star Trek: Voyager
Post #: 2103
RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/15/2022 7:39:57 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Off Season: Falvine started off looking like they were making the right moves. Before the lockout, they nailed Buxton down to multi-year deal that protected them from Buck's extensive injury history. They traded a shiny coin for Sonny Gray. Heading into spring training they shocked everybody and signed Correa. They made a series of moves in trading Fred Garvin for Kiner Filefa and 24 hour later packaging KF and Donaldson for Urshala and Sanchez.

The problem is that they needed another front line starter to go with Gray. Instead, they decided to sign Homer Bai...I mean JA Happ and Matt Shoe...I mean Al Bundy and Chris Archer. This assured that they would have to rely on unproven Joe Ryan and injury prone Bailey Ober to fill the 2-3 slots. Then they made a deal to add hard throwing high era Chris Paddack, despite knowing his elbow was hanging on by a thread. The also brought in Pagan to further weaken an already bad bullpen. But, what the hell, they still had Smeltzer and Uber waiting in the wings.

We were all heartened when the Twins started the season with Jake Cave off the 40 man roster. Youth was being served. Kirilloff and Larnach were playing and contributing. Correa was flashing great play and even greater leadership. Buck was healthy. Jeffers and Sanchez looked like a viable catching rotation. Ryan and Ober started out well. Paddack wasn't half bad and even Ted Bundy was contributing. The Twins were winning and then...

Injuries, injuries and more injuries. First was Sano and we all thought...great, this opens up more time for young players. Then the last strand of Paddack's UCL snapped. Winder came up, looked good, shut down for second straight year with a shoulder impingement. Ober missed months with a groin pull. Larnach, abdominal surgery. Kirilloff, season ending wrist surgery. Jeffers injury exposed the complete lack of depth at catcher. The Twins acquired Sonny Leon to catch. A man so bad he lost his job to Matt Hedges. Oh yeah, that bs about resting Buxton regularly to keep him healthy. Turns out he was hurt right away and they were resting him regularly to save on a gimpy knee. Worked so much better than just shutting him down when it happened. A season of favoring the knee aggravated the ligaments in his hip. So, Buck is on the IL while the games matter most.

As inevitable as death and taxes, Smeltzer and Cave returned to the roster and the lineup.

The bullpen imploded. Pagan made everyone pine for Colome. Duffey completely lost his stuff. The Twins tried to remedy this by cycling 97 pitchers between the majors and AAA. This was bound to confuse the other teams hitters right? Rocco made a horrible situation worse by refusing to let starters pitch more than 2 times through the rotation. A terrible bullpen became a terrible & overworked bullpen.

Speaking of Rocco, his game management has been pathetic. It's not just pitching mismanagement. Other coaches have been bad as well. Mayor Watkins has surpassed every previous Twins 3B coach in sending runners to an untimely demise at home plate.

I'm sure I have overlooked plenty. The Twins will no doubt chalk it up to bad luck. The Wonder Twins will probably stand pat with the pitching staff. No doubt they will bank on Maeda coming back like he was in 2020. They will assume Paddack will be just fine after a second TJ. They will stick with Rocco and his bad managing. They will stand behind Sean Johnson and his terrible drafts. The Pohlads will stand behind Falvine and their culture of mediocrity.

Too soon sir

Too soon

Big Brother was on last night so I watched that instead. Guardians of the Galaxy were on also; Twins aren't fun to watch and haven't been for a while.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2104
RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/15/2022 8:58:44 AM   
Phil Riewer

Nick Nelson
@NickNelsonMN
I've gotta think Dobnak's MLB career is over because of the finger. Sad story.
Quote Tweet
Darren Wolfson
@DWolfsonKSTP
·
17h
Co-scoopage with @Brandon_Warne: #MNTwins place pitcher Randy Dobnak on outright waivers.

Post #: 2105
RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/15/2022 10:33:45 AM   
Karl Juhnke

An amazing stat was pointed out on the TV broadcast. Maybe people here were aware of it but I wasn’t. In order to qualify for the ERA title a pitcher must have 162 innings. This season, for the first time in Twins history they will not have a single qualifying pitcher. Ryan leads the team with 129 and will get, like 3 more starts.

This is unthinkable. A combination of injuries and Rocco’s insistence to turn the ball over to an overworked bullpen after 5 innings.

Fire Bob Schnelker
Post #: 2106
RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/15/2022 10:52:09 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Too soon sir

Too soon

Big Brother was on last night so I watched that instead. Guardians of the Galaxy were on also; Twins aren't fun to watch and haven't been for a while.

You missed out. I was at the game last night. I was informed I was missing Dick and Justin reminiscing about Scott Baker's near perfect-game from August 31, 2007. I think about that game often. Sorry I missed the discussion, but happy I was attending an exciting Twins win.

I get things done
Post #: 2107
RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/15/2022 11:07:02 AM   
David Levine

You often think about a "near" perfect game from 15 years ago by a marginal pitcher?
Post #: 2108
RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/15/2022 11:08:43 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

You often think about a "near" perfect game from 15 years ago by a marginal pitcher?

It was 4 days before my dad passed away. We had fun talking about it on the phone.

I get things done
Post #: 2109
RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/15/2022 11:12:52 AM   
twinsfan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4R8hCGgwtc

Top 100 Metrodome Moments, #41: Scott Baker's Near-Perfect Game

I get things done
Post #: 2110
RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/15/2022 11:24:01 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Too soon sir

Too soon

You missed out. I was at the game last night. I was informed I was missing Dick and Justin reminiscing about Scott Baker's near perfect-game from August 31, 2007. I think about that game often. Sorry I missed the discussion, but happy I was attending an exciting Twins win.

I will watch the quick replay of the game on YouTube if needed; Big Brother was more entertaining as was Galaxy of the Guardians. The product isn't that great right now; sorry to say.

Post #: 2111
RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/15/2022 11:42:18 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

An amazing stat was pointed out on the TV broadcast. Maybe people here were aware of it but I wasn’t. In order to qualify for the ERA title a pitcher must have 162 innings. This season, for the first time in Twins history they will not have a single qualifying pitcher. Ryan leads the team with 129 and will get, like 3 more starts.

This is unthinkable. A combination of injuries and Rocco’s insistence to turn the ball over to an overworked bullpen after 5 innings.

Pa-the-tic

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 2112
RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/15/2022 2:31:00 PM   
Mister Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

Pa-the-tic

A really big part of why they fell out of first

The system they’re using is not working

36 pitchers used
Including 2 infielders
Dodgers
Yankees
Braves

Cleveland

White Sox 23

Seattle 28

Houston

All 5 Houston starters have more innings than Joe Ryan

The approach and execution of that approach should be resulting in firing people not names Tommy Watkins
Who also needs to be reassigned or let go.

Post #: 2113
RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/15/2022 2:34:16 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

Pa-the-tic

A really big part of why they fell out of first

The system they’re using is not working

36 pitchers used
Including 2 infielders
Dodgers
Yankees
Braves

Cleveland

White Sox 23

Seattle 28

Houston

All 5 Houston starters have more innings than Joe Ryan

The approach and execution of that approach should be resulting in firing people not names Tommy Watkins
Who also needs to be reassigned or let go.

I'd fire Hank Conger to show that nobody is safe and it would maybe light a fire under this team.

I get things done
Post #: 2114
RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/15/2022 2:45:10 PM   
Mister Ed

Varland pitched 8 days ago in Yankee stadium

And has not pitched in any game anywhere since

SMH

Post #: 2115
RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/15/2022 3:05:02 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

SMH

That's some dumbass shit right there.

Pitched well, against the Yankees, in Yankee stadium and we can't give him the ball for more than a week afterwards?

What stupid as hell analytic are you shit for brains using to justify this bullshit?

I wish it was as easy to stop hating, as it was to start - Cmdr Chakotay - Star Trek: Voyager
Post #: 2116
RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/15/2022 3:35:00 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

SMH

Pitched well, against the Yankees, in Yankee stadium and we can't give him the ball for more than a week afterwards?

What stupid as hell analytic are you shit for brains using to justify this bullshit?

The Twins couldn't keep him up because he was the extra guy on a double-header day. Then when they sent him back down, he wasn't eligible to be called back up for 10 days. So they aren't risking injury in the minors. He'll be back with the Twins to help us the rest of the way.

I get things done
Post #: 2117
RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/15/2022 3:44:11 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

SMH

The Twins couldn't keep him up because he was the extra guy on a double-header day. Then when they sent him back down, he wasn't eligible to be called back up for 10 days. So they aren't risking injury in the minors. He'll be back with the Twins to help us the rest of the way.

So you advocate sending down your 3rd best pitcher when he obviously was needed? The day he was sent down is the day I quit watching live games.

It was made worse when Archer and Bundy pitched the next two days...

Post #: 2118
RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/15/2022 3:57:58 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

SMH

So you advocate sending down your 3rd best pitcher when he obviously was needed? The day he was sent down is the day I quit watching live games.

He HAD to be sent down. Damn, you don't even know the rules.

I get things done
Post #: 2119
RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/15/2022 4:34:18 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

SMH

Why did he have to be sent down, you call him up and send someone down. They thought he was going to fail so the used him as the double header call up. The Twins Way.....time to change.

I see them yo yoing with one of their better relievers, Moran too.
How much is Twins marketing paying you?

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 9/15/2022 4:40:06 PM >

Post #: 2120
RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/15/2022 4:46:09 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

SMH

SOMEONE had to be sent down. Didn’t have to be him.

And risk injury?? Young pitchers need to pitch, no matter the level. If that’s truly the reason he’s been on the shelf for 10 days, that’s awful.

Fire Bob Schnelker
Post #: 2121
RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/15/2022 4:56:23 PM   
MDK

quote:

quote:

quote:

Too soon sir

Too soon

Guardians of the Galaxy is a great movie.
But Big Brother?????
On a level with Housewives of whoknowswhere.
Or the Kardashians

40 acres and a Mule. What a difference that would have made for African Americans.

The orange Jesus needs an orange jumpsuit
Post #: 2122
RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/15/2022 5:39:21 PM   
Mister Ed

So Varland goes down on that rule

ok

The Twins bring him back and expect him to pitch well on how many days between starts?

Frickin' brilliant.

Post #: 2123
RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/15/2022 5:40:39 PM   
Mister Ed

TBD is the Twins rotation for the key 5 games in Cleveland

Job well done

Can we find 37/38/39 anywhere to pitch

Embarrassing

What they get for the scrapheap approach.

Post #: 2124
RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread - 9/15/2022 5:43:38 PM   
Mister Ed

Polanco returns tonight.

Post #: 2125
Page:   <<   < prev  83 84 [85] 86 87   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2022 Season and Game Day Thread Page: <<   < prev  83 84 [85] 86 87   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode