Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/29/2022 12:01:42 PM   
David Levine

Adrian Wojnarowski@wojespn
Free agent F Eric Paschall has agreed to a one-year deal with Minnesota, sources tell ESPN.
Post #: 226
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/29/2022 8:52:39 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Adrian Wojnarowski@wojespn
Free agent F Eric Paschall has agreed to a one-year deal with Minnesota, sources tell ESPN.

He was first team all rookie a couple years ago for GSW and now he's signed a two way with us.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 227
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 8/4/2022 10:21:22 AM   
David Levine

Great stuff here:

Jaden McDaniels—the Worst Kept Secret of the Gobert Trade

https://thenetrating.com/jaden-mcdaniels-the-worst-kept-secret-of-the-gobert-trade/
Post #: 228
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 8/4/2022 2:21:25 PM   
Elliot

quote:

Great stuff here:

Jaden McDaniels—the Worst Kept Secret of the Gobert Trade

https://thenetrating.com/jaden-mcdaniels-the-worst-kept-secret-of-the-gobert-trade/

Perhaps the best lens we can use to evaluate the Gobert trade is this: how many late first round picks is Jaden McDaniels worth?

Life is just what happens to you,
While you're busy making other plans

~ John Lennon
Post #: 229
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 8/10/2022 6:42:15 PM   
Matt Lang

IMO, McDaniels is definitely worth at least 1-2 late first round picks
Post #: 230
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 8/11/2022 7:22:34 AM   
Elliot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matt Lang

I would argue his value is far higher. And I base it like this: (the chances there's a stellar player like McDaniels still on the board in the mid-20s when the Wolves would pick) * (the likelihood the Wolves select him). If the product of that equation is 20% (which I think is still really high), then you'd need 5 attempts to make the math work.

~ John Lennon
Post #: 231
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 8/11/2022 7:40:20 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elliot

quote:

I would argue his value is far higher. And I base it like this: (the chances there's a stellar player like McDaniels still on the board in the mid-20s when the Wolves would pick) * (the likelihood the Wolves select him). If the product of that equation is 20% (which I think is still really high), then you'd need 5 attempts to make the math work.

To put it another way...how many times did the Wolves get a player as good as McDaniels when they were perpetually stuck in the lottery? I was initially hit by the sticker shock when they made the deal, but the more times I go through it, Connelly did what he had to do to add an impact piece to go with KAT and Ant without giving up any of the key players they want to build around that core.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 232
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 8/11/2022 7:56:41 AM   
Elliot

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

To put it another way...how many times did the Wolves get a player as good as McDaniels when they were perpetually stuck in the lottery? I was initially hit by the sticker shock when they made the deal, but the more times I go through it, Connelly did what he had to do to add an impact piece to go with KAT and Ant without giving up any of the key players they want to build around that core.

Agreed. Plus, I think we all kinda fooled ourselves into thinking the Wolves would likely improve their playoff position simply by letting their previous core group mature another year, while adding another player via the MLE. And while the team was likely to be better via that route, there's no doubt Denver, New Orleans, LAC and probably LAL will be substantially better than they were last year. So it isn't enough to marginally improve.

~ John Lennon
Post #: 233
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 8/11/2022 6:23:39 PM   
Matt Lang

quote:

quote:

Agreed - definitely. I’m a big fan of McDaniels’ potential so I probably should have emphasized “at least”.
Post #: 234
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 8/11/2022 7:10:12 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

quote:

There is risk involved. The future is so unknown in the NBA and things can change so fast, as the Wolves enter another 'draft desert' era like the Joe Smith fallout.

They may end up regretting it, but I'm glad Connelly took his shot.
Post #: 235
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 8/12/2022 7:30:26 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

quote:

There is risk involved. The future is so unknown in the NBA and things can change so fast, as the Wolves enter another 'draft desert' era like the Joe Smith fallout.

I just really like the roster depth....it will be our best roster since KG, Spree, and Cassell.

The 2 he picked up are showing some value already (Moore and Minot) and having such a young roster now outside of Gobert at 30.
Nowell and Reid are still 22-23.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 236
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 8/12/2022 7:59:33 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I just really like the roster depth....it will be our best roster since KG, Spree, and Cassell.

The 2 he picked up are showing some value already (Moore and Minot) and having such a young roster now outside of Gobert at 30.
Nowell and Reid are still 22-23.

The key to the whole deal, and the genius part of it in my opinion is the addition of Gobert frees Towns from being the primary inside force. He showed in the playoffs that he is just not mentally suited for that role. He gets in foul trouble, he gets flustered against physical play, he feels slighted when he doesn’t get calls. And his effectiveness goes out the door.

Now with Gobert there’s no need to anchor Towns to the hoop. They’re free to use his talents all over the floor, and they don’t have to feel they’re giving anything up underneath when they do.

That was some think outside the box problem solving by Connelly.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 8/12/2022 8:01:43 AM >
Post #: 237
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 8/12/2022 9:20:26 AM   
TJSweens

My only concern is that Towns not settle into a 3pt shooting role. He needs to continue to flash his post game and drive to the basket.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 238
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 8/12/2022 9:43:30 AM   
David Levine

quote:

My only concern is that Towns not settle into a 3pt shooting role. He needs to continue to flash his post game and drive to the basket.

I think he needs to double his 3pt attempts. I want him shooting 10/game.
Post #: 239
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 8/12/2022 10:00:34 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

I’m not too concerned about that. One thing I think Towns is very good at is shot selection. He only takes 3s when he has a good look. If it’s not ideal he’ll pass it up. It’s partly why his % is so high. They’re all quality shots.
Post #: 240
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 8/12/2022 10:46:55 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

I’m not too concerned about that. One thing I think Towns is very good at is shot selection. He only takes 3s when he has a good look. If it’s not ideal he’ll pass it up. It’s partly why his % is so high. They’re all quality shots.

He's actually just that good of a shooter.

In 2019-20 he took a (significantly) career high 8/game and hit 41% of them.

In 202-21 it dropped to 6.5/game and he hit 39%

Last year it dropped all the way down to 5/game, and he hit 41%.

Interestingly, the year he shot 8/game, he also went to the line at the highest rate of his career.

With Gobert's offense limited to the paint, and Ant hopefully attacking more, there is no reason he shouldn't be shooting 10 every game.
Post #: 241
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 8/12/2022 12:59:18 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

quote:

Interestingly, the year he shot 8/game, he also went to the line at the highest rate of his career.

With Gobert's offense limited to the paint, and Ant hopefully attacking more, there is no reason he shouldn't be shooting 10 every game.

Yes great shooter, absolutely.I'm just saying that one part of that is due to his shot selection. He just refuses to take an ill-advised shot. I don't mean it as a negative. Very much a positive.
Post #: 242
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 8/12/2022 1:10:48 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes great shooter, absolutely.I'm just saying that one part of that is due to his shot selection. He just refuses to take an ill-advised shot. I don't mean it as a negative. Very much a positive.

He passes up good shots all the time.

He'd probably cut down on the offensive fouls if he took a few more of them as well...
Post #: 243
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 8/17/2022 5:09:34 PM   
Karl Juhnke

October 19. Home, against OKC.
Post #: 244
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 8/18/2022 9:02:17 AM   
wrh

Seems the NBA is moving to allow 2 game series in the regular season. I recall some home and away scheduling in the past but there is a number of incidents where TWolves will play the same opponent a second time (in a row) in the same location this season. This has to be easier on scheduling and travel. Looks like a relatively easy home start to this year for our TWolves too.
Post #: 245
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 8/18/2022 11:02:03 AM   
David Levine

It is a bold decision for Bally and the Timberwolves, plucking an up-and-comer in favor of a more established voice. They cast a wide net over several months, including popular pregame and postgame host Marney Gellner, who applied for the position but eventually withdrew her name from consideration before interviewing for the job because she wanted to maximize her time with her family, she told The Athletic.

“I know the fans were upset with Dave Benz not being retained, but this is a best-case scenario,” Petersen said. “Ian Eagle, Sarah Kustok, Richard Jefferson are some of the nicest people in the league. They do an amazing job, and Michael Grady was a part of this team, which lends credibility to his intelligence, his knowledge of the NBA and his talent as a broadcaster in this league.”

theathletic.com/3518771/2022/08/18/michael-grady-timberwolves-new-announcer/
Post #: 246
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 8/18/2022 11:02:53 AM   
David Levine

Grady, 39, a multi-time Emmy Award winning reporter, host and producer and 2016 Indiana Sportscaster of the Year comes to the Twin Cities after spending the last six years with the YES Network in New York as the Brooklyn Nets courtside reporter. His television play-by-play experience includes the New York Liberty, the 2022 WNBA Commissioners Cup along with hosting the YES Network’s pre-and post-game coverage for the New York Yankees and the Yankees Batting Practice Today show. Grady has also spent time on the sidelines for CBS Sports calling NFL and college football as well as calling play-by-play for college basketball for the network. In addition, he’s served as the play-by-play announcer for NBATV and Turner Sports.

Grady began his broadcasting career in his home state of Indiana in 2003, when he joined 1070 WIBC Radio in Indianapolis as a producer before moving to 107.5 ESPN Radio in Indianapolis as executive producer in 2007. From 2014-2017, he was a sports anchor at WRTV-TV, the ABC affiliate in Indianapolis, where he won an Emmy Award for his coverage of the 2016 Indianapolis 500. While in Indianapolis and later in New York, Grady co-hosted the “Grady and Big Joe Show” with former Indianapolis Colts player Joe Staysniak on 107.5 ESPN Radio in Indianapolis from 2011 to 2019. He additionally served as the Indiana Pacers’ public address announcer from 2010-2017.

In general, this seems like a home run hire for a team (and ownership group) that continues to place an emphasis on “big game hunting.” Michael Grady was beloved during his time in Brooklyn, and while the departure of Dave Benz has left many Wolves fans frustrated, I think they will quickly come to love Grady’s overall energy, passion, and knowledge for the game of basketball.

https://www.canishoopus.com/2022/8/18/23311415/minnesota-timberwolves-and-bally-sports-north-name-michael-grady-as-play-by-play-announcer-nba
Post #: 247
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 8/18/2022 11:05:06 AM   
David Levine

I know Benz had his fans, but this seems like a huge upgrade. I agree 100% with this comment:

BellevueWolvesGuy
As cool as it would have been to get a Harlan or Johnson, I’m glad they found someone young who could be around for long time and the fans get to hear him in his prime. I’m pumped for Wolves games.
Post #: 248
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 8/18/2022 12:04:21 PM   
Karl Juhnke

https://youtu.be/BDwHNev6BjQ

Here’s a highlight clip from the WNBA championship that he did play by play for, just as a sample.

Seems fine. We’ll see.
Post #: 249
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 8/18/2022 2:56:04 PM   
twinsfan

I see Bronny James is plummeting down the prospect rankings. What happened?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 250
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode