Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 9/13/2022 10:34:07 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

I am no longer an Ant Man fan.

How old is he; so much cancel culture from your side. He didn't wait long to apologize but continue as you will.

Oh look, Phil throwing out another buzz word he doesn't understand...

Is it the worst thing ever? Nope.

Does it make him a bad person that you can't root for? Nope.

Was it an off the cuff comment? Probably.

But, did he then choose to post his homophobic comment to his hundreds of thousands of social media followers? Yup.

Does his quick apology look more like damage control than anything else? Also yup.

All in all, this is likely a minor incident that will be forgotten by most of the NBA followers in short notice. But it also has a strong chance of damaging the very lucrative image he's been crafting the past 2 years.

Oh look 10 sentences of condescending drivel from DL when Matt was fishing....yes it is cancel culture.

Calling out (or being upset with) people for bad things is not "cancel culture".

Your guy has you so twisted you can't tell up from down anymore.
Post #: 301
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 9/13/2022 10:34:40 AM   
David Levine

Anthony Edwards’ NBA career gave him a platform. He used it for homophobia
RK Russell

The Timberwolves star has issued an apology after a bigoted social media post. His punishment should hurt, while also allowing room for growth

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/sep/13/anthony-edwards-homophobia-instagram-nba-minnesota-timberwolves-basketball
Post #: 302
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 9/13/2022 11:39:50 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

An expression of displeasure with Ant. That’s not cancel culture. You either don't understand the expression or you're willfully misusing it.

It's the victim card. They think anyone who expresses disapproval of something stupid is participating in cancel culture.
Post #: 303
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 9/13/2022 11:48:19 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

How old is he; so much cancel culture from your side. He didn't wait long to apologize but continue as you will.

But, did he then choose to post his homophobic comment to his hundreds of thousands of social media followers? Yup.

Does his quick apology look more like damage control than anything else? Also yup.

All in all, this is likely a minor incident that will be forgotten by most of the NBA followers in short notice. But it also has a strong chance of damaging the very lucrative image he's been crafting the past 2 years.

Oh look 10 sentences of condescending drivel from DL when Matt was fishing....yes it is cancel culture.

Calling out (or being upset with) people for bad things is not "cancel culture".

My guy? You talk about him more than I do.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 304
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 9/13/2022 12:11:21 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Because there is a whole lot more negative about him. He also happens to be a pretty major news story right now...
Post #: 305
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 9/13/2022 12:30:54 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What side can't tell up from down because of Trump? I think we know.
Post #: 306
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 9/13/2022 12:44:42 PM   
TJSweens

Agreed. That would be yours and Phil's side. But, I digress. If we're going to keep going in this direction, take it to the politics thread.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 307
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 9/13/2022 12:45:33 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Agreed. That would be yours and Phil's side. But, I digress. If we're going to keep going in this direction, take it to the politics thread.

LTS
Post #: 308
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 9/13/2022 12:46:50 PM   
Mark Anderson

Trade Ant for LBJ
Post #: 309
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 9/13/2022 12:57:00 PM   
wrh

We need camp to open : ) My two-bits. Dumb remarks by Ant, it may tarnish his image a bit but still a minor mistake by a 21 yr old. Personally, my opinion, if the League and so o o o many important elements and people in it can put Kobe Bryant on a pedestal after his "sexual assault" when he was 25 (and only not prosecuted as rape because the young woman got intimidated and won't testify any more) I seriously doubt Ant's remarks will be remembered by any but a few by next year. And yes, I hold that against what I see as Bryants legacy.

If I didn't absolutely hate references to politicians and outside topics on this forum, I would make a negative comment about famous people who pay woman for sexual favors sometimes earned, sometimes forced, but I do hate it so I won't.
Post #: 310
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 9/13/2022 1:28:01 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

He also used the N-word.

Whatever...I will watch the Timberwolves before the Twins in April and May and June.

Matt's Dirty Marketing plan for the Twins; cancel culture the Wolves.

Matt when did you last use the Q word on someone? HMMM?

I don't use those words. It's not in my nature.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 311
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 9/13/2022 1:53:46 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

He also used the N-word.

Whatever...I will watch the Timberwolves before the Twins in April and May and June.

I don't use those words. It's not in my nature.

All I could find in a non extensive internet search was Ant used the word queer.
Anybody who uses words like douche or any other feminine product or calling men by women's names in a derogatory manner is as guilty or more than Ant was using the word queer in a derogatory manner towards homosexuals. Homosexuals use that word to refer to themselves in a television show called Queer As Folk.
We're here, we're queer, get used to it.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 9/13/2022 1:58:45 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 312
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 9/13/2022 2:11:59 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

He also used the N-word.

I'll use it when its someone's preferred term and I know its what they want. I don't ever throw it around as an insult, or use it to describe a group of people I don't know personally.

That's not what Ant did.

"Look at these queer ass n****s, man. Look at the world I came to." There's a woman with him laughing in the passenger seat. There was a caption too ... "Dese n****s different."

Here is a pretty good take from a Canis poster:

quote:

This might sound kinda weird, but it's not even the homophobia that bothers me, it's the meanness. Like you can be quietly and inwardly homophobic and, as much as that sucks, not really bother anybody; you can even be vocally homophobic amongst your homophobic friends and still not really bother anybody. This is different.

As many have pointed out, Ant is a very young dude, very possibly raised in a homophobic culture and I can absolutely cut him slack for that (I would hope he'd want to learn about why so many people are upset about this and be open to changing his attitude, but that's up to him) but this was broadcast in a way that just feels mean-spirited to me, which isn't how I wanted to view Ant, as a mean-spirited person who would pick on strangers online for any reason.
Post #: 313
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 9/13/2022 4:42:31 PM   
kgdabom

Michael Jordan was a not very nice, mean spirited guy. He worked out pretty good for the Bulls.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 314
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 9/13/2022 6:44:16 PM   
Karl Juhnke

I don’t think he’s a mean spirited person. He’s a 21 year old who has a lapse of judgement…and stupidly chose to record it.

This will blow over quickly. Non-issue for me.
Post #: 315
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 9/13/2022 6:51:57 PM   
Matt Lang

Having been 21 once, my hunch is that he thought he was being funny.
Post #: 316
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 9/13/2022 7:04:33 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matt Lang

Yep. I had attitudes on certain topics as a 21 year old that I am not exactly proud of today. People grow and evolve.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 317
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 9/13/2022 7:16:29 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

I don’t think he’s a mean spirited person. He’s a 21 year old who has a lapse of judgement…and stupidly chose to record it.

He's going to be fined by the NBA at a minimum.

It'll be interesting to see how Sprite and other endorsements react.
Post #: 318
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 9/13/2022 7:46:39 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

He's going to be fined by the NBA at a minimum.

It'll be interesting to see how Sprite and other endorsements react.

That’s fine. He deserves it. Lesson learned. But then it will be forgotten. Malik Beasley’s antics were 10 times worse. Not even in the same ball park. And that was quickly forgotten.
Post #: 319
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 9/13/2022 7:58:04 PM   
David Levine

Malik Beasley isn’t an upcoming face of the NBA.
Post #: 320
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 9/14/2022 10:44:18 AM   
Pauldiercks1

Personally I could care less about how Ant feels about LGTBQ. He can like it or not, it's all fine. It's still his right to have his own opinion.
Now why he needed to share it on social media I have no idea. He is young and made a dumb mistake, however you want to look at it.
Those people did nothing to him so no need to express any opinion on them one way or the other. Not any different if he thought they looked straight and made some comment, no need for it. Just let people be who they are if they are not bothering or hurting anything.

I hope he grows and understands that his opinion is not the only opinion to consider. I think he will, he will grow and be more accepting of things. He likely will take a little hit but be perfectly fine. He quickly backtracked and regardless of why he did so quickly he seems to understand his mistake. The people making strong comments and turning against him is silly to me. He still is a great young man, will learn from this, and hopefully learn to be more accepting of anything different than what his personal preferences are.
If you can't give a young man an opportunity to right his wrong then you are likely no better.
Post #: 321
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 9/14/2022 5:45:00 PM   
Matt Lang

Reply fail
Post #: 322
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 9/14/2022 5:46:27 PM   
Matt Lang

2nd try…

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matt Lang

Yep. I had attitudes on certain topics as a 21 year old that I am not exactly proud of today. People grow and evolve.

It’s not like young males are paragons of enlightenment
Post #: 323
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 9/15/2022 7:37:55 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

There was only one person who took it to that side and it was DL. Just proves the point even more that he said it in the Timberwolves thread...you CANT STOP TALKING about him.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 324
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 9/15/2022 8:11:56 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

Michael Jordan was a not very nice, mean spirited guy. He worked out pretty good for the Bulls.

Different era. No social media then and today everyone carries a video camera.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 325
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode