Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/4/2022 10:35:45 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

I'm glad we took a swing, hope it works out.

Was Gobert the best we could get with this type of haul?

Yeah.

Defense has always been the biggest problem and we added a Legit Top 5 all-time defender. Not just a shotblocker, but a guy who closes off the entire painted area and erases mistakes by teammates.
Post #: 151
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/4/2022 12:06:57 PM   
Pauldiercks1

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Yeah.

Defense has always been the biggest problem and we added a Legit Top 5 all-time defender. Not just a shotblocker, but a guy who closes off the entire painted area and erases mistakes by teammates.

Also, Gobert as far as I know, is more stable and not looking to be traded and leaving the team hanging. There is value in a player like that as well.
Post #: 152
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/4/2022 10:29:29 PM   
Matt Lang

I’m getting fired up about this trade. We added an all star caliber player. We got the best player in the trade. We can run lots of interesting lineups.
Post #: 153
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/5/2022 3:36:20 PM   
Elliot

Well, I think I've successfully talked myself into liking the Gobert trade. The one thing that I keep coming back to is this: I think most of us Wolves fans figured the team would be better next year, through the draft, maybe a small-scale trade or two and adding a couple free agents. And I'm certain the Wolves would be better next season with that approach.

And being marginally better is probably good enough for Taylor. And maybe for most of us too (without challenging ourselves to think bigger). The fact that ALore has basically said "Go big or go home" is maybe the best part of all this.

Life is just what happens to you,
While you're busy making other plans

~ John Lennon
Post #: 154
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/5/2022 10:53:49 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pauldiercks1

We gave up a lot but in theory if we are very good it is mostly spare parts.
Honestly if this doesn't work out I'm still perfectly fine with it. When is the last time the Wolves made a move this big to try to win?? We are the team that ships out players for lesser value players.

I will never fault a team for being aggressive and going for it. Like the Viking and Herschel, it didn't work out at all but I'll not complain, they went for it, and I'd rather go for it and fail than sit around at average for 30 years.
I'm stoked about the possibilities for this Wolves team, It's the offseason and people are interested in the Wolves for a positive reason, that tells me we may have done something right. We have some very interesting pieces for Finch to mesh together this should be a lot of fun.

Hopefully the phrase "You've been Rudy'd" doesn't creep into sports vernacular.
Post #: 155
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/6/2022 7:08:10 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah.

Also, Gobert as far as I know, is more stable and not looking to be traded and leaving the team hanging. There is value in a player like that as well.

Yeah, the personality side of things and chemistry is key. I don't see any bad eggs on the team. Russell seems to be the most selfish but I believe he'll be gone by next year (?).
Post #: 156
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/6/2022 7:08:10 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah.

Yeah, the personality side of things and chemistry is key. I don't see any bad eggs on the team. Russell seems to be the most selfish but I believe he'll be gone by next year (?).
Post #: 157
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/6/2022 9:46:36 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah.

Even D'Lo could be a positive in the personality department. He very willingly embraced the distributor role last year and was very vocal in his support of Finch and his system. The concern will be if there is any long term resentment from his playoff benching.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 158
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/6/2022 11:33:43 AM   
Phil Riewer

The things I liked about the trade and some of it was mentioned by Skor North and Dane about trade and signings:

They replaced Vandy with Anderson (4 million a year more) and Malik with a better spot up shooter Forbes (Makes 13.4 million less).
Anderson has good handles and was termed slomo but can make offense flow and plays good defense. Not the energy of Vandy of course but brings more to the offense.
Adding Gobert will limit Dlo dependence but also help DLO in pick and rolls. Gobert is a monster when it is needed for offense flow.
Freeing Nowell. He was showing as much explosiveness as Beasley.
Resigning Prince was big too...still a nice bench and very little will be asked of the Duke rookie to start.

Also if you figure that KAT or Gobert will be playing Center all game...Naz will play more PF.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 7/6/2022 11:47:04 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 159
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/6/2022 3:07:29 PM   
David Levine

2. Gobert Is Worth the Risk

For the life of me, I’ll never totally understand the backlash Rudy Gobert receives on social media. I’m convinced it all stems from the moment Steph Curry put him in the spin cycle during the 2017 playoffs, and all the memes that came from it.

Gobert was slapped with a reputation as a 7-footer with lead feet who can’t move on the perimeter. And even though he dramatically improved his perimeter defense (and is a three-time Defensive Player of the Year), Utah’s annual postseason struggles have only reinforced that idea. This isn’t meant to excuse Gobert’s shortcomings. His flaws are real. But his new team is better built to compensate for his weaknesses while magnifying his strengths.

To land Gobert, the Timberwolves sent the Jazz three unprotected first-round picks (in 2023, 2025, and 2027), along with a top-five protected first in 2029, 2022 pick Walker Kessler, Patrick Beverley, Jarred Vanderbilt, Malik Beasley, and Leandro Bolmaro. That amounts to five first-rounders between 2022 and 2029, so the Wolves will have only the ability to trade first-round swaps in 2024, 2026, and 2028 until picks in the 2030s (gulp) become available to move.

It’s a lot. But the Wolves are ready to take the next step. Anthony Edwards could be on the brink of superstardom. Both Karl-Anthony Towns and D’Angelo Russell are coming off the best seasons of their still-young careers. And Gobert addresses the team’s weaknesses from last season—namely rebounding and interior defense. It’s also a two-way street since the Wolves have what Gobert lacked in Utah. Gobert has never played with frontcourt partners like KAT or Jaden McDaniels. Towns is a 7-footer with an ace 3-point shot and the ability to make plays off the dribble. McDaniels is a long, rangy defender with the versatility to contain players of all sizes.

With Minnesota’s personnel, Gobert won’t be in no-win situations like he often found himself in Utah, trying to compensate for his teammates’ defensive shortcomings. With McDaniels and Towns, there are other back-line defenders if he has to shift around the court. Even Edwards, with his football-player frame, and Russell, at 6-foot-4, provide more resistance than some of Utah’s past perimeter defenders. With versatile pieces and better on-ball perimeter defense, Gobert will have the best support of his career. And the Wolves, who ranked no. 13 in defensive rating last season, could go from good to elite.

Gobert could also help Minnesota’s offense as a big who can roll to the basket and score efficiently. The Jazz ranked third in the league in efficiency last season when their big rolled, largely thanks to Gobert. So now, the Timberwolves have the NBA’s best roller in Gobert and the best pick-and-pop big in Towns. When Towns popped out of a ball screen last season, the Wolves scored 1.185 points per chance, tops in the NBA over the past two seasons, according to Second Spectrum.

Edwards and Russell should see their numbers improve in the pick-and-roll, just like Utah’s guards did for years with Gobert screening. Of the 109 ball handlers to run at least 500 pick-and-rolls last season, Russell ranked 25th in efficiency and Edwards was 60th. Now they could have either Towns or Gobert on the court for all 48 minutes. Their style disparity could make the Wolves a matchup nightmare, especially if Russell and Edwards keep improving so they can be the perimeter creators in end-game situations. And outside of pick-and-rolls, Gobert can provide better vertical spacing than Vanderbilt did as a lob threat in all situations. And if the situation calls for a five-out lineup, Wolves head coach Chris Finch has the luxury to go with Towns at the 5.

One of the biggest criticisms of the trade is Gobert’s salary; he’ll be paid an average of $42.4 million through the 2025-26 season. He is expensive. But the Jazz didn’t pay him that money because they’re generous. It’s because he’s a valued player who would have received the same money on the open market, just as he was worth the five firsts from the Timberwolves as they try to address a major need.

The price Minnesota paid does complicate new president of basketball ops Tim Connelly’s ability to make further big moves. Without a trade, Connelly won’t be drafting in the first round again until 2024. Cap room will be harder to come by. But Gobert is a massive upgrade. Minnesota needs another wing or two for this roster to feel complete. If rookie Wendell Moore can become an early contributor it would help a lot, and he certainly has the tools as a hard-nosed defender who made 41 percent of his 3s as a Duke junior. For the most part, though, the roster is in great shape after also signing Kyle Anderson and Bryn Forbes.

My boss Bill Simmons and my Mismatch podcast partner Chris Vernon, like many others in sports media, believe that the new Timberwolves ownership is just trying to make a splash. I’m sure that was a factor since ownership has a say in every trade. But it also is a sign of an ownership team willing to take big risks for the sake of winning. Connelly sold them on a player who can increase this team’s championship odds. Now it’s Gobert’s chance to prove them right.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2022/7/6/23196520/kevin-durant-rumors-pelicans-free-agency
Post #: 160
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/6/2022 5:16:28 PM   
Matt Lang

I’m not convinced it’s such a “big risk” as the talking heads believe. A team trading for KD is taking a bigger risk IMO
Post #: 161
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/6/2022 5:57:08 PM   
David Levine

Full Gobert Presser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-6AL8O7lSg&t=5s
Post #: 162
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/6/2022 6:15:14 PM   
Bill Jandro

If we were 13th in defense last season we will easily be top 3 this season if not #1.

We lost virtually zero scoring punch when you consider the upgrade of Anderson over Vando. Forbes+Nowell should make up for Beasily.

This team should easily win 60 games.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 163
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/6/2022 6:56:59 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

If we were 13th in defense last season we will easily be top 3 this season if not #1.

We lost virtually zero scoring punch when you consider the upgrade of Anderson over Vando. Forbes+Nowell should make up for Beasily.

This team should easily win 60 games.

The big upgrade on offense is Gobert over Vando.

< Message edited by David Levine -- 7/6/2022 6:58:10 PM >
Post #: 164
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/7/2022 10:27:44 AM   
David Levine

D’Angelo Russell is the Biggest Winner of the Rudy Gobert Trade

This isn’t a fit that you have to talk yourself into, primarily on offense. This is the single cleanest fit with Gobert on the entire roster, with Russell serving as the Wolves best pick-and-roll player by a wide margin. Karl-Anthony Towns may be the best player on the team, but two areas that he struggles with are setting screens and operating as a roll man. He’s just not a good screen-setter in general, and while he can be an effective roller, he very clearly prefers to pop, catch, and play from the perimeter.

There’s good reason for Towns to play that way, as he’s deadly off the catch, but it also just isn’t the best way to maximize Russell. The former Ohio State star is at his best in the PnR, specifically when teams play drop. He’s an incredible passer, and is capable of both making the pocket pass to lead the big on the short roll as well as throwing perfectly placed lobs for dunks.

Over his time in Minnesota, Russell has really only been able to showcase his ability to throw that pocket pass when Naz Reid has been on the floor, but D’Lo and Reid developed a really nice chemistry in that sense. It’s part of what made D’Lo plus the bench a successful arrangement. The Wolves haven’t really had any lob threat at all, so that club has mostly been left in his bag, but we’ve seen his ability to throw pin-point lobs on his nifty passes to Jaden McDaniels after they fake their hand-off on the wing.

Last season, Minnesota completed five alley-oops, while Gobert threw down 87 on his own, as Timberwolves Head Coach Chris Finch cited during Wednesday’s media availabilities.

The point being, you don’t have to watch the Wolves very closely to see that Russell’s passing and playmaking is underutilized. He showcased his ability to play with a rim-running big man in Brooklyn with Jarrett Allen, where the two played a beautiful two-man game that led to a surprise All-Star berth for Russell and playoff appearance for the Nets.

www.canishoopus.com/2022/7/7/23197681/dangelo-russell-biggest-winner-rudy-gobert-trade-wolves-jazz
Post #: 165
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/7/2022 10:48:39 AM   
Karl Juhnke

That was my first impression too. I’m glad someone with some better cred and writing ability said it too: This trade was good for D’lo and it means he isn’t going anywhere.

I think there was an overreaction to Russell’s playoff performance, and specifically his being benched in crunch time. It happens. It means we have a coach who isn’t afraid to change things up when needed. It should probably happen more often, but coaches are afraid of their sacred cows.

Russell had a good year. His role got redefined a bit and he seemed fine with it. He was a positive influence. This trade may have been primarily about redefining Towns’ role. But to a lesser extent it’s also about further utilizing Russell’s emerging role. For all the reasons stated in the post above.
Post #: 166
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/7/2022 10:52:30 AM   
David Levine

It's going to be interesting. D'Lo came here to be no worse than our #2 guy and he's now solidly in 4th place (and it could easily be 5th if Jaden takes a 3rd year leap).

If he accepts his role (I could see his PPG drop, but setting career highs in Assists and FG%), then he's probably worth a Brunson type of contract.

If he struggles with his role, he might be gone as soon as the deadline.
Post #: 167
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/7/2022 11:07:56 AM   
Karl Juhnke

I just heard a replay of Connelly getting interviewed by Barreiro. One interesting tidbit caught my attention.

Barreiro prefaced a question with saying that few teams are willing to part with so many draft picks. Connelly pushed back a bit and said it is offered more than people know. But usually the reply is a quick no.

Now I get that Connelly is in full post-trade spin mode here, but I wouldn’t doubt if this were true. I could see teams getting offered the moon for a star player, a lot. But it goes nowhere and we never hear about it. So credit to Connelly for identifying a situation where they might go for it.

I’m mostly off the ledge on the trade. The Wolves fan in me is conditioned to think things can fall apart in unforeseen ways and at least some of those picks end up being lottery picks. But I need to tell myself this is highly unlikely.

And as I said before, the players given up were nice, but looking objectively, expendable to get a guy like Gobert. They’ve already replaced Beasley with a cheaper Beasley. Bev gave them a great contribution, but I can’t help thinking they may have caught lightning in a bottle there. Would his year two contribution be the same or would he wear out his welcome as he tends to do? Vanderbilt was the toughest to see go. Top offensive rebounder on the team. And the ultimate ‘doesn’t show in the box score’ contributor. But it’s the old ‘got to give up something to get something’. And Gobert effectively offsets some of what Vanderbilt provides.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 7/7/2022 11:12:55 AM >
Post #: 168
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/7/2022 11:38:26 AM   
David Levine

Supposedly two of the picks we gave up were so we could keep McDaniels.
Post #: 169
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/7/2022 2:57:21 PM   
David Levine

Legion Hoops@LegionHoops
REPORT: The Brooklyn Nets asked the Minnesota Timberwolves for Karl-Anthony Towns, Anthony Edwards, and 4 draft-picks in exchange for Kevin Durant.

The Timberwolves declined.

(via @chrisbhaynes, @VinceGoodwill)
Post #: 170
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/7/2022 3:47:05 PM   
Elliot

I don't know how many late (22-30) first round picks it would take for me to trade McDaniels. A lot. And that's probably the best way to look at it.

Life is just what happens to you,
While you're busy making other plans

~ John Lennon
Post #: 171
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/7/2022 3:57:15 PM  1 votes
Karl Juhnke

quote:

Legion Hoops@LegionHoops
REPORT: The Brooklyn Nets asked the Minnesota Timberwolves for Karl-Anthony Towns, Anthony Edwards, and 4 draft-picks in exchange for Kevin Durant.

I probably would have considered it for Towns and 2 picks.
Post #: 172
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/7/2022 9:38:25 PM   
kgdabom

I'll be in Vegas checking out the SL early tomorrow. If I see anything interesting I'll share it.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 173
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/8/2022 7:20:52 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Legion Hoops@LegionHoops

LOL

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 174
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/8/2022 7:54:27 AM   
bstinger

quote:

Legion Hoops@LegionHoops

Ridiculous ask.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 175
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode