Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/8/2022 8:54:41 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Legion Hoops@LegionHoops
REPORT: The Brooklyn Nets asked the Minnesota Timberwolves for Karl-Anthony Towns, Anthony Edwards, and 4 draft-picks in exchange for Kevin Durant.

The Timberwolves declined.

(via @chrisbhaynes, @VinceGoodwill)

Ridiculous ask.

I have a hard time believing that was the actual ask. If it had been Edwards OR KAT, I could believe it. I still wouldn't accept it, but I could believe they made it.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 176
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/8/2022 9:58:52 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Legion Hoops@LegionHoops
REPORT: The Brooklyn Nets asked the Minnesota Timberwolves for Karl-Anthony Towns, Anthony Edwards, and 4 draft-picks in exchange for Kevin Durant.

Ridiculous ask.

I have a hard time believing that was the actual ask. If it had been Edwards OR KAT, I could believe it. I still wouldn't accept it, but I could believe they made it.

Similar to what I said, cut the offer in half, Towns and a couple picks, and I’d MAYBE consider it. Still might not accept. But at least my answer would be “Hmm, let’s analyze this a bit”, instead of “LOL call me back when you get serious”. And I wouldn’t give up Ant in any Durant deal, even straight up, just because of the 12 year age difference.

And speaking of Ant’s age, he still can’t drink legally for a few more weeks. This blows my mind.
Post #: 177
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/8/2022 11:21:11 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

quote:

Legion Hoops@LegionHoops

Ridiculous ask.

Similar to what I said, cut the offer in half, Towns and a couple picks, and I’d MAYBE consider it. Still might not accept. But at least my answer would be “Hmm, let’s analyze this a bit”, instead of “LOL call me back when you get serious”. And I wouldn’t give up Ant in any Durant deal, even straight up, just because of the 12 year age difference.

And speaking of Ant’s age, he still can’t drink legally for a few more weeks. This blows my mind.

I would have serious concerns about giving up a premium price for Durant at this point.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 178
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/8/2022 12:33:40 PM   
Elliot

Seems like Durant has something in mind that he wants. And Minnesota has no role in that whatsoever.

Life is just what happens to you,
While you're busy making other plans

~ John Lennon
Post #: 179
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/8/2022 3:48:52 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Legion Hoops@LegionHoops

Ridiculous ask.

I would have serious concerns about giving up a premium price for Durant at this point.

He seems to be developing a bit of a "bail guy" or "team jumper" at this point. Why would you want a guy like that.

Another trade rumor was DLo for Irving.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 180
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/8/2022 4:46:58 PM  1 votes
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Gross. There is not a more destructive personality in the league than Irving.

Plus I don't want his anti-vax dumbass around KAT.
Post #: 181
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/8/2022 5:26:27 PM  1 votes
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Gross. There is not a more destructive personality in the league than Irving.

Plus I don't want his anti-vax dumbass around KAT.

Ooh I didn’t even think of the vax angle. That might have been interesting just for the entertainment value.
Post #: 182
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/9/2022 4:31:55 AM   
Elliot

I think the rest of the league is sitting around waiting to see if the Spurs are going to help the Lakers to be relevant next season.

~ John Lennon
Post #: 183
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/10/2022 2:43:33 PM   
David Levine

Good stuff:

Rudy Gobert and Karl-Anthony Towns Are Perfect for Each Other

https://www.canishoopus.com/2022/7/10/23200753/rudy-gobert-and-karl-anthony-towns-are-perfect-for-each-other
Post #: 184
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/11/2022 1:34:27 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

That's a horrible trade. Durant is going to fetch less than that.

This feels like KG and Pierce to Brooklyn...

Watching a complete 180 is entertaining.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 185
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/11/2022 1:35:19 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matt Lang

Massive overpay. I think they thought they were trading for Giannis. Terrible deal.

DL is not alone.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 186
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/11/2022 1:51:18 PM   
Karl Juhnke

https://youtu.be/tk9WByixn5o

This is pretty funny. The title of the video is Gilbert Arenas DESTROYS the Rudy Gobert/Timberwolves trade.

I thought he was going to trash the Wolves, but instead he had some harsh words for Utah.
Post #: 187
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/11/2022 2:31:35 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

Imagine that. An immediate opinion changed after reflection.

You're the guy who comes into a game thread 2 days after the game and chastises people for being emotional in real time.
Post #: 188
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/11/2022 3:10:10 PM   
Elliot

quote:

quote:

quote:

You're the guy who comes into a game thread 2 days after the game and chastises people for being emotional in real time.

Can't speak for you DL, but my initial reaction was very-much clouded by my experience as a Wolves fan. We inherently value draft picks exceptionally high, because the team is always picking in the lottery and middling teams in sub-zero temps can't attract free agents like other markets. It's completely foreign territory to have a team that for several years will be picking in the mid-20s every year. Are they assets? Sure. But complete crapshoots to be sure.

< Message edited by Elliot -- 7/11/2022 3:12:34 PM >

~ John Lennon
Post #: 189
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/11/2022 3:19:49 PM   
Elliot

Another thing that needs mentioning as well. I think a lot of us were pleasantly surprised at the Wolves performance last season. And given a young team, a developing identity, great coach, proactive ownership and draft assets, we all expected the team to be organically better. So we figure, why dramatically mess with something that's on an improving trajectory?

The problem is that the West was really down last year. The Nuggets and Clippers are certain to be better next season. And if the Lakers can swing a deal for Irving, they'll be a ton better too. So even an organically improved Wolves team still may only make the play-in again. Don't get me wrong, I like that the Wolves could have entered next season with a decent chance to win on a given night. But I'd rather watch a season of other teams trying to figure out how to prevent the Wolves from finishing with a top 4 seed in the West.

~ John Lennon
Post #: 190
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/11/2022 5:34:39 PM   
Karl Juhnke

My main fear was…and is the draft picks too. And yes, that is influenced by being a Wolves fan.

Yes if all goes to plan, the dynasty is in place and those draft picks will be low ones. But these days especially, things can change so fast in unforeseen ways. It could all go to hell quickly, some of these end up as lottery picks, with the wolves stuck on the sideline on draft day.

I’m glad for the trade, but it is not without risk. It could be Joe Smith purgatory all over for years to come.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 7/11/2022 5:36:00 PM >
Post #: 191
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/11/2022 6:59:37 PM   
Bill Johanesen

If everything is fine, the draft picks are not a huge deal. But if you have some player problem/issue and also end up at/above the cap, then you have no real assets besides players on expiring deals.

One lesson learned, don't let a couple of your stars meet and proclaim player x is a good fit, when in fact player x (cough, cough, Westbrook) is a terrible fit. Which lends itself to strong management.
Post #: 192
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/12/2022 9:06:53 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

My main fear was…and is the draft picks too. And yes, that is influenced by being a Wolves fan.

Yes if all goes to plan, the dynasty is in place and those draft picks will be low ones. But these days especially, things can change so fast in unforeseen ways. It could all go to hell quickly, some of these end up as lottery picks, with the wolves stuck on the sideline on draft day.

I’m glad for the trade, but it is not without risk. It could be Joe Smith purgatory all over for years to come.

I like the trade on many fronts:

DLo moves down to 4th option: Ant/KAt Gobert. Finch thought enough of Nowell to mention him with Jaden and Ant. Finch also wanted to get Jordan more time.
Ant and Jaden are so young. If all stay healthy 3-5 years with Kat/Gobert; minor rebuild. (two windows present and future)
A post that was linked mentioned that Beverly may have been best to just have here one year (possibility of injuries and wearing out his welcome)
Forbes can shoot and Nowell can take over as 2nd unit scorer.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 193
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/12/2022 10:02:38 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elliot

quote:

quote:

quote:

Can't speak for you DL, but my initial reaction was very-much clouded by my experience as a Wolves fan. We inherently value draft picks exceptionally high, because the team is always picking in the lottery and middling teams in sub-zero temps can't attract free agents like other markets. It's completely foreign territory to have a team that for several years will be picking in the mid-20s every year. Are they assets? Sure. But complete crapshoots to be sure.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 194
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/12/2022 11:34:47 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The mistake in this logic is that you're assuming we'll be picking in the 20s every year. Who knows where we are 3, 4, 5, 7 years down the road? Considering the history, I would put money on a return to the Top 10 in the draft at some point. Towns is not KG.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 195
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/12/2022 12:06:55 PM   
Elliot

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The mistake in this logic is that you're assuming we'll be picking in the 20s every year. Who knows where we are 3, 4, 5, 7 years down the road? Considering the history, I would put money on a return to the Top 10 in the draft at some point. Towns is not KG.

It's not a mistake. It's a calculated risk.

~ John Lennon
Post #: 196
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/12/2022 2:23:18 PM   
Pauldiercks1

Draft picks, whatever. Let me help you guys simplify this. Doesn't matter

In what 30 + years we've been a factor once (one season)
other than that most seasons we've have extremely high picks that we drafted the wrong guy or simply didn't pan out.

We are FINALLY in a position to make a move to be a relevant basketball team AND we actually have a front office that is paying attention enough to want to make a move!
No matter how this goes great or poorly, we made a move to possibly achieve the goal. We gave up depth and picks because we finally have the opportunity that it makes sense to do so.

We have mostly players that want to be here and a team worth rooting for. We already won the trade no matter how it plays out.
At the very worst possible scenario, we are back to the Wolves we have loved so long. At the best we took a chance to have a very nice run here and try to grow into a championship team.

If it falls apart we still made the right decision. You go for it when you have a team to go for it and we did. That doesn't happen much in Minnesota so smile and lets enjoy seeing how this plays out.
Post #: 197
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/12/2022 3:47:43 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

DLo moves down to 4th option: Ant/KAt Gobert. Finch thought enough of Nowell to mention him with Jaden and Ant. Finch also wanted to get Jordan more time.
Ant and Jaden are so young. If all stay healthy 3-5 years with Kat/Gobert; minor rebuild. (two windows present and future)
A post that was linked mentioned that Beverly may have been best to just have here one year (possibility of injuries and wearing out his welcome)

Agree with all, except the notion of ‘options’. Russell is a more prolific scorer than Gobert. Of course in terms of overall game contributing to wins, it’s Gobert, hands down.

I don’t look at it in terms of ranking ‘options’. This wasn’t about knocking someone down in pecking order. It’s about assembling pieces into a winning unit.
Post #: 198
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/12/2022 4:24:50 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Agree with all, except the notion of ‘options’. Russell is a more prolific scorer than Gobert. Of course in terms of overall game contributing to wins, it’s Gobert, hands down.

I don’t look at it in terms of ranking ‘options’. This wasn’t about knocking someone down in pecking order. It’s about assembling pieces into a winning unit.

Right.

D'Lo is still going to have the ball in his hands a ton. He's still, significantly, the best passer on the team.

He had the best year of his career when he played with a big that could screen and roll. And Gobert is way better at both of those things than Jarrett Allen.

My guess is D'Lo end up somewhere in the 15-18 PPG range, but he sets career highs in FG% and Assists.
Post #: 199
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/12/2022 5:58:01 PM   
Steve Lentz

Getting Gobert kept D'Lo on the team.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 200
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode