Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/12/2022 6:49:47 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Getting Gobert kept D'Lo on the team.

Very likely.

Not only because the trade was likely good for Russell as has been discussed here. But if Connelly couldn’t have landed Gobert he probably would have looked elsewhere to make his mark, and Russell would be a logical piece to put on the block.

The problem would have been finding someone to take on his salary. Maybe someone is out there who thinks Russell is the answer. But likely it would have been a tough sell.
Post #: 201
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/15/2022 12:11:51 PM   
wrh

TWolves sign Austin Rivers for minimum. I maybe wrong, but it seems to me he had a lot of pretty good games against us over the years.
Post #: 202
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/15/2022 1:16:14 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: wrh

TWolves sign Austin Rivers for minimum. I maybe wrong, but it seems to me he had a lot of pretty good games against us over the years.

That’s my vague recollection of him. That he’s competent. I always wonder about guys like him who bounce from team to team though. This is his 7th team. Happens with a lot of guys though. Doesn’t necessarily mean there’s a problem. Life in the fringe in the NBA. Connelly should be familiar with him.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 7/15/2022 1:20:47 PM >
Post #: 203
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/15/2022 1:57:02 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: wrh

That’s my vague recollection of him. That he’s competent. I always wonder about guys like him who bounce from team to team though. This is his 7th team. Happens with a lot of guys though. Doesn’t necessarily mean there’s a problem. Life in the fringe in the NBA. Connelly should be familiar with him.

He's a fine deep bench guy. Perfectly cromulent.

Can shoot a little, can pass a little, can defend a little. Supposedly a pretty good locker room guy.

Connelly and Demps drafted him in New Orleans (with our pick!) and he played the last year+ for Connelly in Denver (was signed after Murray went down).
Post #: 204
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/15/2022 2:59:10 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Well he did get 15 ppg game once, five years ago. By Twins logic, that’s what we can expect from him this year.
Post #: 205
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/16/2022 2:57:20 PM   
Elliot

Wolves sign Minott to a 4 year deal. Must really like him to sign him to a Nowell-type deal and lock him up on the cheap.

https://www.canishoopus.com/2022/7/16/23235193/shams-timberwolves-josh-minott-agree-to-four-year-6-8-million-deal

Life is just what happens to you,
While you're busy making other plans

~ John Lennon
Post #: 206
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/16/2022 3:32:11 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elliot

Wolves sign Minott to a 4 year deal. Must really like him to sign him to a Nowell-type deal and lock him up on the cheap.

https://www.canishoopus.com/2022/7/16/23235193/shams-timberwolves-josh-minott-agree-to-four-year-6-8-million-deal

That's the right move.

He's a total project, but a standard 2 year dead for a 2nd round pick basically means you're developing him for his next team.

Now we have control.
Post #: 207
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/16/2022 3:55:43 PM   
Elliot

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elliot

That's the right move.

He's a total project, but a standard 2 year dead for a 2nd round pick basically means you're developing him for his next team.

Now we have control.

Kinda sounds like Minott wasn't considered by Hardaway to be among the chosen, so he didn't get a lot of run at Memphis. Low risk and high reward type move, it seems.

~ John Lennon
Post #: 208
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/19/2022 10:57:16 AM   
Phil Riewer

Do you think having DMC as a backup is a good idea?

Sounds like he would be interested.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 209
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/19/2022 3:24:23 PM   
wrh

I am not a sports bettor, but I probably would take this one: Vegas set the Wolves 2022-23 season win total over/under at 49.5 (or 48.5 if you find the right book). What does that win total suggest about the perception of the Timberwolves in the Western Conference hierarchy? And how profitable is the idea of betting on Chris Finch’s crew being a 50-win team this season?

I have never been a fan of DMC and what I judge to be a negative impact on his team. Mind you that image is definitely old, and maybe outdated. Maybe he has matured sufficiently.
Post #: 210
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/19/2022 4:52:03 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Yes.
Post #: 211
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/20/2022 7:28:48 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Yes.

I think he wants to come here and there was a video when NBA TV or an NBA analyst was talking to him in Vegas and he saw Tim Connelly and Finch and waved at them and yelled his name with a smile....it has been hinted.

Post #: 212
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/20/2022 9:42:47 AM   
Elliot

Boogie would be a worthwhile addition, just for the facial expressions he will show when Chris Paul flops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcxXGPDC1Gs

~ John Lennon
Post #: 213
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/20/2022 10:29:21 AM   
David Levine

Shams Charania@ShamsCharania
The Minnesota Timberwolves are signing G/F AJ Lawson to a two-way NBA deal, sources tell @TheAthletic@Stadium. Lawson had a strong summer league for Dallas, averaging 15.6 points and six rebounds in five games.

Ben Creider@BenCreider
The Minnesota Timberwolves just got an absolute steal.

Not only is A.J. Lawson a high flyer, but he's able to score at all three levels.

He was the G League's most hidden gem last year, IMO. College Park, where he played, was stacked.

I expect him to get a contract upgrade.
Post #: 214
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/20/2022 10:31:27 AM   
David Levine

A.J. Lawson was the standout surprise of the Dallas Mavericks Summer League team. With all eyes focused on second-round draft pick Jaden Hardy coming into the summer tournament, Lawson not so quietly put together game-after-game of solid—at times eye-popping—play.

For Lawson, though, his on-court performance comes as no surprise. It is the result of all the hard work he put into developing his game over the years. That is what allowed him to seize the opportunity the Mavericks gave in Las Vegas. He left everything on the floor in the hopes of landing a professional contract.

“The goal for me is to be better than I was last year,” Lawson told me. “Be one percent better each day. That’s what I always focus on, being a better me. The goal for me is to get a deal with an NBA team. That’s always been a dream of mine since I was a kid. I always wanted to be an NBA player.”

In Dallas’ opening matchup against the Chicago Bulls, Lawson certainly showed that he has the skill set to compete at the next level. He poured in 28 points on 10-16 shooting, including 6-11 from deep. He also grabbed five rebounds and had an assist. It was quite a debut.

“I think, just like anybody, if you get a little repetition at the NBA level or even the G League level, the game slows down for you,” Mavericks coach Greg St. Jean said of Lawson after his first game. “I saw him with a nice level of patience tonight. He wasn’t hunting shots; they just came in the rhythm of what was going on. He’s going to have a great week for us, and he is going to have a bright future.”

He followed up his debut performance with another gem. Against the Utah Jazz, he scored 15 points on 6-11 shooting. He also notched his first-ever double-double in Summer League, pulling down 12 rebounds. Game after game, Lawson played calm and collected basketball, showing a high level of comfort on the floor.

He finished his five-game run with the Mavericks in Las Vegas averaging 15.6 points on 51.9 percent shooting overall and 50 percent on his three-point attempts. He also averaged six rebounds and 1.4 assists. His 15.6 points per game was the best mark on the team.

Lawson’s Summer League averages either match or surpass his numbers in the G League last season. He averaged 11.8 points, 6.3 rebounds, and 1.6 assists with the College Park Skyhawks. Lawson credits his improvement from the G League to now with the time he’s spent working on his game since the season ended.

“Especially this summer, I worked a lot on changing speed, changing pace,” Lawson says. “I’m just in the lab, in the gym with my trainer and my coaches trying to get better working on that, playing with tempo. I feel like I’m getting better and I’m doing just that.

“For my game itself, I’m just a big guard. I can play 1-2-3, sometimes even 4. I can defend 1 through 4 for sure. That’s just me. I’m a versatile player. I feel like it’s always been that way my whole life since high school when I had my growth spurt.”

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2022/7/17/23263212/aj-lawson-skills-next-level-dallas-mavericks-nba-summer-league-2022
Post #: 215
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/20/2022 10:35:37 AM   
David Levine

Mavs fans really liked him. They're not happy.

AJ Lawson...best player on the summer league squad hands down. Speedy, moves around a lot, can shoot the outside ball really well, and defends decently too. Probably one of the better basketball IQ guys on the team from what I saw. He passed the eye test in a lot of ways in that he could be an actual NBA player at the next level, and with a reduced/solid 3 and D role, he could probably thrive. His build and game reminds me a lot of a younger Danny Green, but overall he's the one player from the SL team that hands down deserves a shot at one of our open 2 ways. I don't expect him to become a star or anything but he could easily become a better shooting version of DFS, with a bit better offensive upside.

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2022/7/18/23268564/summer-league-is-over-for-the-dallas-mavericks
Post #: 216
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/20/2022 10:58:19 AM   
David Levine

Sounds like a really good kid and really committed to getting better. Finding guys like this is how you overcome the loss of upcoming draft picks.

I'm definitely more excited about his upside than WMJ.

EXCLUSIVE: A.J. Lawson Talks Summer Mavs; How He Earned T-Wolves Contract

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/dallas-mavs-aj-lawson-minnesota-timberwolves-sign-two-way-contract
Post #: 217
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/20/2022 12:48:29 PM   
Pauldiercks1

Who is DMC?
Cousins?
Post #: 218
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/20/2022 12:59:28 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pauldiercks1

Who is DMC?
Cousins?

Yes. DeMarcus Cousins.

Boogie.
Post #: 219
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/22/2022 8:54:32 AM   
Karl Juhnke

So the off season free agent class stands at:

Kyle Anderson
Bryn Forbes
Austin Rivers
AJ Lawson
Taurean Prince (re-signed)

That seems pretty decent to me. Add in rookie Moore, and of course Gobert. I approve of Connelly’s work so far.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 7/22/2022 8:57:06 AM >
Post #: 220
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/22/2022 12:52:04 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

Kyle Anderson
Bryn Forbes
Austin Rivers
AJ Lawson

That seems pretty decent to me. Add in rookie Moore, and of course Gobert. I approve of Connelly’s work so far.

Agreed.
Lawson has been fun to watch as Dave detailed. I've been very impressed with him.
I like the Anderson move as well and Gobert if he stays healthy will make us serious contenders.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 221
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/22/2022 12:55:43 PM   
Steve Lentz

Ant's development will be key. I'm not a bit surprised by his growth to date. He's a tough and very athletic player.
This year he has the ability to become more consistent and take his game up even more. So thrilled we got him.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 222
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/25/2022 10:24:25 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

Kyle Anderson
Bryn Forbes
Austin Rivers
AJ Lawson

Agreed.
Lawson has been fun to watch as Dave detailed. I've been very impressed with him.
I like the Anderson move as well and Gobert if he stays healthy will make us serious contenders.

I like the mix of season vets and guys with upside.

Post #: 223
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/25/2022 11:55:14 AM   
kgdabom

KAT heard we acquired Rudy and assumed it was Gay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNUaRuWPPYk

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 224
RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft - 7/28/2022 3:19:38 PM   
Elliot

CBS Sports has an article naming Jaden McDaniels one of the top 5 third-year players expected to break out.

We're going to be talking about how McDaniels is one of the best young defenders in the league next season. The Timberwolves refused to include him in the trade that landed them Rudy Gobert, and for good reason as the 6-9 forward showed signs of being a lockdown defender last season. He's got the lateral quickness to stay in front of guards on the perimeter, and the size to contend with bigs in the paint.

Oh, and he has a knack for swatting the life out of the ball, whether it's a big trying to finish an easy basket under the rim, or a guard thinking they can get a floater off with him in the vicinity.

McDaniels will need to stay out of foul trouble to be effective on defense because he won't be of much use if he's averaging 3.2 fouls like he did last season. But with Gobert patrolling the paint, McDaniels can act as a free safety, blocking jump shots out on the perimeter knowing a three-time Defensive Player of the Year is behind him protecting the rim.

On offense, he's shown in spurts that he can be a reliable 3-point threat, and despite having a lanky 6-9 frame he's shown control when he handles the ball and has a mean crossover to get where he wants to go. He'll likely be a starter next season after Jarred Vanderbilt was dealt in the Gobert trade, so he'll have ample opportunity to develop on both ends of the floor. After what he showed in the playoffs last season, where he caused problems on defense and broke out for 24 points in Game 6 against the Memphis Grizzlies, I don't doubt he'll rise to the challenge and have a standout year.

~ John Lennon
Post #: 225
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Wolves 2022 Off Season and Draft Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode