Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft - 7/13/2022 10:58:49 AM   
twinsfan

Have fun in Ottawa, Cameron!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 101
RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft - 7/13/2022 11:00:14 AM  1 votes
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

Dubnyk was a supposed sub par goalie when he came too. Ok he was a sub par goalie when he left too. But in between there he was viewed as a savior.

I’ll just hope that the wild found a diamond in the rough as a cheaper #2 goalie option.

There was never a moment where Dubnyk was viewed as a savior.

Easy to say that now. But I’m remembering when he first arrived. Team was viewed as being pretty good but being held back by shitty goaltending. We dealt for Dubnyk, people were like “What? He’s no good.” But then he went on a hot streak, the team started winning. And everyone loved him…so yes for about a half a season he was viewed as a savior.

We don’t even need this new guy to be a savior. He just needs to be a decent cheap #2 for a couple of years. Maybe only one.

I corroborate this story.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 102
RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft - 7/13/2022 11:21:21 AM   
kgdabom

Talbot is a much better goalie than LaFleur. Why we chose to sign that washed up, over the hill POS is beyond me.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 103
RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft - 7/13/2022 11:33:46 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

Talbot is a much better goalie than LaFleur. Why we chose to sign that washed up, over the hill POS is beyond me.

Talbot was hot after we signed LaFleur. He is a HOF. Are you sure he is washed up and over the hill?

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 104
RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft - 7/13/2022 11:55:51 AM   
David Levine

Patrick Roy is a HOF. We should sign him.
Post #: 105
RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft - 7/13/2022 12:17:39 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Did Talbot get hot after we signed Fluery or not?

Post #: 106
RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft - 7/13/2022 12:22:05 PM   
Jeff Jesser

He was hot before we got signed the flower. Sure, he was in a bit of a bad streak. Look at his overall numbers with the team.
Post #: 107
RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft - 7/13/2022 12:22:37 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Yes, but LaFleur was a much bigger goal scorer than Talbot or Fleury.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 108
RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft - 7/13/2022 12:23:26 PM   
Jeff Jesser

The salary cap relief is nice though. Should allow us to bring in some help but just keep Cam and don't resign the flower. This just reeks of BG just loves the flower.
Post #: 109
RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft - 7/13/2022 12:24:51 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

He's been gone for a couple months now but still has more trade potential than Dumba is what i hear.
Post #: 110
RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft - 7/13/2022 3:00:45 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 111
RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft - 7/14/2022 8:49:11 AM   
Phil Riewer

Michael Russo
@RussoHockey
One youngster I could see #mnwild pursue is Anaheim center Sam Steel, who wasn't tendered a QO.

24yo, ex-50-goal, 131-point scorer in WHL, 1st-round pick, hard worker, good defensively, can win draws. Just hasn't happened for him yet offensively.

Post #: 112
RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft - 7/18/2022 11:25:10 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Talbot was hot after we signed LaFleur. He is a HOF. Are you sure he is washed up and over the hill?

Not a doubt in my mind that LaFleur is washed up and not a doubt in my mind that Talbot is better.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 113
RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft - 7/18/2022 11:30:22 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

quote:

LaFleur/Fleury same thing isn't it. I may have confused him with the Dodgeball guy.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 114
RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft - 7/18/2022 9:46:16 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Do we still have the rights to Gump Worsley?
Post #: 115
RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft - 7/20/2022 10:01:30 AM   
stfrank

From the Athletic
What’s each NHL team’s biggest unaddressed need a week into free agency?

Minnesota Wild
Improve anything whatsoever: For a team with a putrid power play and penalty kill last season, the Wild’s offseason so far has consisted of trading Kevin Fiala after a career year and not replacing his 85-point production and doing nothing personnel-wise to improve its special teams. Jury’s out if the goaltending has been downgraded, too, after trading Cam Talbot for Filip Gustavsson. — Michael Russo

Is Guerin hoping to garner some top picks over the next few lean years? So far he sure isn't doing anything to improve our team, cap hell or not.
Post #: 116
RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft - 7/20/2022 11:56:46 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

From the Athletic

Minnesota Wild
Improve anything whatsoever: For a team with a putrid power play and penalty kill last season, the Wild’s offseason so far has consisted of trading Kevin Fiala after a career year and not replacing his 85-point production and doing nothing personnel-wise to improve its special teams. Jury’s out if the goaltending has been downgraded, too, after trading Cam Talbot for Filip Gustavsson. — Michael Russo

Is Guerin hoping to garner some top picks over the next few lean years? So far he sure isn't doing anything to improve our team, cap hell or not.

If KK can't make it out of Russia a tank-a-thon season is the best case scenario.

--twinsfan
Post #: 117
RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft - 7/20/2022 3:24:46 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

From the Athletic

Minnesota Wild

If KK can't make it out of Russia a tank-a-thon season is the best case scenario.

Yup, I think you're right about that.

< Message edited by stfrank -- 7/20/2022 4:18:56 PM >
Post #: 118
RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft - 8/1/2022 1:34:41 PM   
Phil Riewer

Jon Krawczynski
@JonKrawczynski
·
57s
Big time
Quote Tweet
Michael Russo
@RussoHockey
· 36m
SOURCES: #mnwild’s Kirill Kaprizov leaves Russia early, will return to Minnesota Tuesday

My STORY>>> https://theathletic.com/3467569/2022/08/01/kirill-kaprizov-russia-minnesota-wild/?source=emp_shared_article

Post #: 119
RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft - 8/1/2022 2:10:29 PM   
bstinger

That's surprisingly good news for a change.

--twinsfan
Post #: 120
RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft - 8/1/2022 2:34:26 PM   
Lynn G.

Very good news. I was bracing for some kind of drama leading up to the start of the season.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 121
RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft - 8/1/2022 2:44:43 PM   
stfrank

Sounds like he will be doing the rest of his preseason training her in MN.
Guerin needs to do whatever it takes to make sure he is comfortable here now.
Post #: 122
RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft - 8/1/2022 2:48:54 PM   
David Levine

A few things from Hockey Wilderness:

Elite Prospects Draft Grade:

Minnesota Wild: A
Based on the work of our scouting staff this season, it's easy to see why we're enamoured with Minnesota's draft class. Seven of their eight picks were ranked inside our top-110, headlined by Liam Öhgren. With incredible production and a projectable style of play, it's easy to envision Öhgren bringing his dual-threat game to Minnesota's top-nine in a couple of years.

Danila Yurov brings tools and defensive ability – a combination that could be moulded into greater impact. In the mid-second, they took Hunter Haight, one of the draft's most gifted puckhandlers. While he didn't score much, his skill level popped in nearly every one of our viewings.

With a never-ending motor, puck protection skill, and an intelligent off-puck game, Mikey Milne's a soon-to-be coach's dream. Servác Petrovský and Rieger Lorenz could be, too. And Ryan Healey's combination of activation, handling skill, and physicality make him one of the most exciting blue-liners in the draft.

Really, our only qualm with this group is David Spacek, a mid-scoring re-entry from the QMJHL. Even then, he shows enough patience, deception, and playmaking from the point to justify a late-round flier.

----------------

DobberHockey:

This is just getting silly. The Wild have arguably picked the steal of the draft for three consecutive years. It’s not as big of a steal as picking Marco Rossi at #9 or Jesper Wallstedt at #20, but getting a potential first-line winger in Yurov at #24 has the potential to be another instance of highway robbery for Bill Guerin.

Things are looking up in Minnesota after losing Kevin Fiala. Considering his public desire to leave, I think Guerin did well getting Brock Faber and the pick that turned into Öhgren in return – especially because it facilitated them taking a swing on Yurov.

In three summers, when the Wild are out of cap hell, they may well be one of the Stanley Cup favourites. Until then, they can keep feasting in the mid-late first round of the draft.
Post #: 123
RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft - 8/1/2022 2:50:12 PM   
David Levine

Who are the NHL’s best goalie prospects? Scott Wheeler ranks the top 10 under 25

1. Jesper Wallstedt, G, 19 (Minnesota Wild — No. 20, 2021)

Wallstedt’s the best goalie prospect on the planet for me. And that’s not meant as a slight to the next four names on this list, who each belong in that group or not far behind. But there’s just a control to his game that is so singular and rare in goalies his age. I’ve written about it in the past as almost robotic, and that’s truly the best descriptor for it. Wallstedt’s a big 6-foot-3 (he fills the net for his size) goalie who plays sharp lines positionally, holds those lines, and swallows the first shot so that he doesn’t have to make a ton of second saves. His movement is compact, he tracks through layers incredibly well to find pucks, and he reads opposing shooters so well that he’s rarely beat cleanly.

There’s a minor question mark or two around every young goalie in the sport and with Wallstedt I don’t see a single hole or area of weakness that worries me. I’d maybe like to see him develop a little more quickness (he’s strong across the net and low-to-high on pushes, but he sits a little heavy over his skates and I wouldn’t say his feet are fast per se). But otherwise, he’s got all of the makings of a true No. 1 starter and he’s the best bet on this list to join the shrinking number of goalies (Andrei Vasilevskiy, Igor Shesterkin, Jacob Markstrom and Connor Hellebuyck, with Juuse Saros, Thatcher Demko and Ilya Sorokin maybe angling to join them?) that we can say that about.

https://theathletic.com/3415219/2022/07/26/nhl-goalie-prospect-ranking-2022/
Post #: 124
RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft - 8/18/2022 7:28:30 AM   
Phil Riewer

While the Minnesota Wild’s prospect pool is currently considered about as good as it gets in the NHL, one area they remain thin is centers at the professional level.

According to multiple sources, that was one of the biggest factors that led Sammy Walker, the first three-time captain in University of Minnesota men’s hockey history and the 2018 Minnesota Mr. Hockey recipient out of Edina High School, to sign a two-year entry-level contract with his home-state Wild on Wednesday night.

Walker, a 2017 seventh-round pick of the Tampa Bay Lightning who opted not to sign with them and thus became a free agent Monday, is a high-speed, skilled forward who helped the Gophers win the Big Ten regular-season championship last season and advance to the NCAA Frozen Four for the first time since 2014.

“He’s an awesome player and even better teammate,” Gophers and USA Hockey world junior captain Brock Faber told The Athletic. “He’s a player that can use his speed and works very hard to win puck battles and make plays.”

Post #: 125
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild Post Mortem, Off Season and Draft Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode