Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2022 9:02:03 AM   
marty

I still hold out hope they can cover up many of Kirk's flaws, use his strengths to pull out 11 wins. Or play Mullens and try to get to 11 wins.

Get into the playoffs, and anything can happen.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 576
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2022 9:11:17 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I still hold out hope they can cover up many of Kirk's flaws, use his strengths to pull out 11 wins. Or play Mullens and try to get to 11 wins.

Get into the playoffs, and anything can happen.

You think Mullens is better than Kirk?

I agree with the philosophy of grabbing Hurts or Willis in past years. The problem is that the new GM and HC had to evaluate certain players. Mond, Mannion, etc. I trust the purge will happen but OTA and Training Camp doesn't always show.

I really like what Kwesi, KOC, etc. have done with the roster.....Marty already has a stiff something over our backup; way better than Mond/Mannion.

I think trading for Reagor gives us the rugged Deebo lite on the roster....

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 577
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2022 9:17:22 AM   
Phil Riewer

Vegas still has us at the 6th best chance of making the NFC Championship game:

In Order:
Bucs
Eagles
Packers
Rams
49ers
Vikings

Post #: 578
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2022 9:43:50 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

How were the route concepts JC? Were there a lot of open looks opposite Jefferson? Just curious what you saw live.

Jumping in here... Wifey was at the opener and said Thielen was running wide open fairly often. Cousins never looked his way.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 579
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2022 9:59:20 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

How were the route concepts JC? Were there a lot of open looks opposite Jefferson? Just curious what you saw live.

Jumping in here... Wifey was at the opener and said Thielen was running wide open fairly often. Cousins never looked his way.

I was hoping you'd provide some observations David.
Post #: 580
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2022 10:15:43 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

I was hoping you'd provide some observations David.

I haven't been to a game live yet this season. Going this weekend. I love both watching on TV and watching live. Live is the only way to see what the defense is doing and the only way to see who's open or not.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 581
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2022 10:25:14 AM   
marty

I don't know Phil, did you have stiff something for keeping Kirk in there in the fourth quarter against the Eagles ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 582
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2022 10:26:04 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

In Order:
Bucs
Eagles
Packers
Rams
49ers
Vikings

A week ago we were the darlings of the NFC

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 583
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2022 10:27:43 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

What a delight when a day after thread is dominated by Brad, Richard, and...JC? Lot's of repetition, and eventually someone needs to find a girlfriend, or is accused of being a child molester or a slave catcher...

At least Richard is a consistent presence. Why are the other two here?

To add some clarity

Post #: 584
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2022 11:18:59 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

I don't know Phil, did you have stiff something for keeping Kirk in there in the fourth quarter against the Eagles ?

I have seen where Kirk's ratings are; apparently after one bad game (Where there was a big drop and Jefferson ran a route wrong for one of the INT) you choose to go with the backup QB moving forward and bench Kirk.

I don't know how else to describe it.

Post #: 585
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2022 11:21:44 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

I have seen where Kirk's ratings are; apparently after one bad game (Where there was a big drop and Jefferson ran a route wrong for one of the INT) you choose to go with the backup QB moving forward and bench Kirk.

$40-Million. That's all people need to know.

Post #: 586
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2022 11:22:25 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

Wasted..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 587
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2022 11:26:55 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Which is now 10th.

Post #: 588
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2022 11:31:20 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Which is now 10th.

It doesn't matter where it ranks. It's wasted money - and its holding us back.

As someone else said after the game, Kirk is actually the worst kind of QB you can have. Good enough where you can be fooled into thinking you don't need to replace him, but clearly not capable of taking you you anywhere.

Sure, if everything aligns just right and the Vikings have a Playoff run where they never surrender the lead, we could win a SB.

But has anything that the fragile Cousins has shown you that he can lift up a struggling team and carry them?

He is the front-runner of all front-runners. Looks like a HoFer when things are going well. But punch him in the mouth and he crumbles.
Post #: 589
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2022 11:53:35 AM   
Murph

I still think we'll win 9-10 games with our schedule but.....

We should have gotten rid of all our high priced vets, most especially kirk and done what the Bears are doing now.

We'll see how our draft turns out but this off season turned out to be bad, imo

We may make the playoffs but we won't win a Super Bow with our QB, defense and DC.

I don't care about making the playoffs and drafting in the low 20's. I want a Super Bowl.

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 590
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2022 12:04:46 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Which is now 10th.

As someone else said after the game, Kirk is actually the worst kind of QB you can have. Good enough where you can be fooled into thinking you don't need to replace him, but clearly not capable of taking you you anywhere.

Sure, if everything aligns just right and the Vikings have a Playoff run where they never surrender the lead, we could win a SB.

But has anything that the fragile Cousins has shown you that he can lift up a struggling team and carry them?

He is the front-runner of all front-runners. Looks like a HoFer when things are going well. But punch him in the mouth and he crumbles.

BINGO!
Post #: 591
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2022 12:11:30 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Which is now 10th.

He's a $15-million quarterback. I wouldn't pay him a dime more. Tom Brady makes $25-million.

Post #: 592
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2022 12:21:55 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

In Order:
Bucs
Eagles
Packers
Rams
49ers
Vikings

A week ago we were the darlings of the NFC

for sure, this place is like a light switch....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 593
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2022 12:30:38 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

What a delight when a day after thread is dominated by Brad, Richard, and...JC? Lot's of repetition, and eventually someone needs to find a girlfriend, or is accused of being a child molester or a slave catcher...

At least Richard is a consistent presence. Why are the other two here?

To add some clarity

Let us know when you're going to start doing that. So far you've just repeated things everyone knows, like it's a bad idea to spend big money on a RB and that Kirk Cousins is not a top-tier QB, but at least you've been annoying while doing it.
Post #: 594
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2022 12:38:22 PM   
Lars

Crush the Pack? Vikes are world-beaters and the board is quiet.

Lose on the road to Philthy? Bunch of bums from owners down to water boys - with the predictable folks coming out of the woodwork to offer their insights.

It was a bad game. Maybe let's allow a bit of the season to unfold before we says it's over?

Some bad: Cousins made a number of bad throws. The Irv drop hurt. OL had no answer for the blitz. The defense played to limit big plays (other than the blown coverage) and was too passive. There was not enough pressure or blizting.

Some good: special teams appear to be pretty solid so far - a nice improvement over recent years.

I had this game as a 7 point loss going in. Had the offense not shit the bed on a couple of those trips then it would have been closer than it was.

*shrugs*

Time to move on to the next week.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 595
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2022 12:39:57 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Which is now 10th.

As you say, he is the ultimate tease.

The pro-Cousins group come at it from all angles:

He has top ten arm talent just needs a better blah blah blah; stats prove his ability to win, in spite of his winning % ; WR drops-RB fumbles-missed FGs affect his winning % [and nobody else's]; religious bias unfairly skews perception; handcuffed by screwball HC with an axe to grind; a contract that is now inline with other starter QBs (its been outrageous and throttled the franchise from day 1); it goes on and on ...

His inability to get his team into the win column has covered different franchises, teams, coaches, etc ... for 10+ seasons! 60-60-2.

He gives you a 50-50 chance of winning a ball game. That's our standard. That's what keeps us bending over and guaranteeing his contracts.
Post #: 596
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2022 12:42:34 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

He gives you a 50-50 chance of winning a ball game. That's our standard. That's what keeps us bending over and guaranteeing his contracts.

And so much of that 50-50 is out of his control.
Post #: 597
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2022 12:44:33 PM   
Lars

If Cousins were to get a grade overall - not for the last game - I would give him a solid "B". He is above average, but that's it. Not poor and certainly not special.

What that means is that you need things to break your way and/or have other folks/units be special to get you over the top and for him to not to play at his lowest level. Right now, I don't see any of the other units playing at that elite level. So what do you get? A team that is slightly above average. The Vikings for most of my life.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 598
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2022 12:52:14 PM   
marty

Phil

Although I would have been tempted to insert Mullens in the 4th quarter, I am hopeful they can work around Kirk's weaknesses, like they attempt to work around the weakness at center.

Whatever it takes to get 11 wins, get into the playoffs and anything can happen.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 599
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/21/2022 1:00:35 PM   
David Levine

Mullens is not the answer.

He's a better emergency QB than Mannion. That's it.
Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode