Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  308 309 [310] 311 312   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2023 9:12:12 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: fmaltes

Lets not waste time with Trey Lance. Also, there is real uncertainty with his injury too.

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/49ers-quarterback-trey-lance-is-not-good-on-game-film

Waste time? 8 Million for 2 years and a third to have a top backup and a QBOTF?

I'd think if he was all that, SF would want to keep him.

Especially considering Purdy is no sure thing to be ready to start the season. And even if he is, he's hardly proven he's the guy long-term.

I would actually go with this David Justice Moneyball play....SF is paying more of your salary than we are.

SF is in as bad of Salary Cap as we are.

Probably not as painful when you're a contender.

Pretty sure everyone assumes they are a contender in the offseason.

But some actually are...

In April. I wouldn't be so sure.

I'm not so sure if the Vikes would have lost 31-7 in the NFCCG we'd call them a contender

Are you telling me if the Vikes made the NFCCG last year, you wouldn't be calling them a contender right now?

I don't know. Like I said probably not too many people around here would be calling them a contender after a 31-7 spanking - but I probably would, yes.

Knowiing me, I probably considered them ready for the SB after the 40-doughnut fiasco

31-7 spanking with their 4th string QB.

Contenders with their first, second and third string QB.

Us, with our starting QB ... not so much.

Oh snap, I thought the 31-7 thing was a hypothetical!

Poor Purdy came back in and secured some record for lowest ypa or something that will never be broken.

But at least up until his injury he showed he has a bit of IT. Which leads me to... draft Georgia QB Bennett Stetson late. Um, I mean Stetson Bennett.

Stetson Fleming Bennett IV to be precise.

Please don’t use his full name again. He sounds like the Fourth Earl of Snotbury or something, not a draft prospect.

This draft is shaping up as a ‘War of the Gargantuans’ it seems, between you and Marty over our late rd QB selection … ‘your’ choice Bennett (you’ve plugged him several times) vs Marty’s DTR … its added a whole new level of intrigue.

I hope you bring your ‘A’ game …

Uh, twice. Frankly, there is no way they take a projected backup QB with a late rounder when they can trade down for... whatever. I don't know what Marty is saying but I'm sure he is waffling. Waffle House should add a name to a dish after him. Or just name the whole company Marty House.

How about Francis Asbury Tarkenton.

I didn't think about the Sir Francis thing. Hmmm there's an angle ...

Also, I dont understand your ‘no way they take …’ comment. With only 2 QBs on the roster, I’ll be surprised if they don’t take a late rd flyer, regardless of what they do early. I suppose an UDFA camp arm would be typical …

just hoping the clouds open up and it rains QBs this year. While preparing myself for drought.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 4/26/2023 9:13:17 AM >
Post #: 7726
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2023 9:14:33 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Lets not waste time with Trey Lance. Also, there is real uncertainty with his injury too.

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/49ers-quarterback-trey-lance-is-not-good-on-game-film

Especially considering Purdy is no sure thing to be ready to start the season. And even if he is, he's hardly proven he's the guy long-term.

I would actually go with this David Justice Moneyball play....SF is paying more of your salary than we are.

But some actually are...

I'm not so sure if the Vikes would have lost 31-7 in the NFCCG we'd call them a contender

Are you telling me if the Vikes made the NFCCG last year, you wouldn't be calling them a contender right now?

I don't know. Like I said probably not too many people around here would be calling them a contender after a 31-7 spanking - but I probably would, yes.

Knowiing me, I probably considered them ready for the SB after the 40-doughnut fiasco

Poor Purdy came back in and secured some record for lowest ypa or something that will never be broken.

But at least up until his injury he showed he has a bit of IT. Which leads me to... draft Georgia QB Bennett Stetson late. Um, I mean Stetson Bennett.

Please don’t use his full name again. He sounds like the Fourth Earl of Snotbury or something, not a draft prospect.

This draft is shaping up as a ‘War of the Gargantuans’ it seems, between you and Marty over our late rd QB selection … ‘your’ choice Bennett (you’ve plugged him several times) vs Marty’s DTR … its added a whole new level of intrigue.

Uh, twice. Frankly, there is no way they take a projected backup QB with a late rounder when they can trade down for... whatever. I don't know what Marty is saying but I'm sure he is waffling. Waffle House should add a name to a dish after him. Or just name the whole company Marty House.

Also, I dont understand your ‘no way they take …’ comment. With only 2 QBs on the roster, I’ll be surprised if they don’t take a late rd flyer, regardless of what they do early. I suppose an UDFA camp arm would be typical …

just hoping the clouds open up and it rains QBs this year. While preparing myself for drought.

Who are you replying to?
Post #: 7727
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2023 9:16:13 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero
Aaron Rodgers signed his revised contract with the #Packers before 4 p.m. ET Tuesday, per source. So everything remains on schedule: Trade papers can be filed after 4 p.m. ET today and Rodgers will officially become a member of the #Jets.

The restructure pushed all but the minimum salary and a small workout bonus into 2024, so New York will need to rework it again. Green Bay will carry a roughly $40 million dead cap hit in 2023 and Rodgers will be off the books in 2024.

By reworking the deal this way, Green Bay saves $14.575M in 2023 cap space instead of getting a credit in 2024.
For at least the next couple days, Rodgers is due $1.215 million in 2023 and $107.6 million in 2024. This will obviously change.

Yes, Spotrac factored that dead cap in as early as yesterday: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

They still have $12.6 M in cap.
Post #: 7728
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2023 9:38:14 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

But some actually are...

Who are you replying to?

You.
Post #: 7729
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2023 9:45:09 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

But some actually are...

Who are you replying to?

You.

Oh, that was just a Kwesi jab re how he likes to trade down.

This exchange is too long screen wise so I'm done with it.
Post #: 7730
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2023 10:29:39 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I like DTR's highlights, but if he is horrible the rest of the time.

I also value QBs that win their Bowl games, but AJ McCarron has never been much more than a pretty average backup in the NFL.

You would be wrong on a lot of QBs if that is what you look at (bowl games); there are a lot of them now.....

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 7731
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2023 10:45:31 AM   
marty

I am not saying just judge a QB on their Bowl games.

I am saying if they lost their Bowl game, down a notch or two, depending on the situation.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 7732
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2023 5:02:31 PM   
Todd M

All in for Richardson.

Let's do it!!!
Post #: 7733
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2023 11:06:14 PM   
David F.

I just realized how bizarre it is that we most definitely don’t need a tight end or a tackle. Feels like we’ve needed both since about 2010.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 7734
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 7:06:23 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

I just realized how bizarre it is that we most definitely don’t need a tight end or a tackle. Feels like we’ve needed both since about 2010.

That mantra has shifted to IOL/IDL, CB, ILB

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 7735
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 7:12:35 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

All in for Richardson.

Let's do it!!!

The QB stuff I am reading now makes it sound like the Vikings will try to trade up after the top 4 for whoever is left out of Richardson, Levis or Stround. They will essentially look for the slider of the bunch. If they can't do that they hope to be able to trade back and still get Hooker.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 7736
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 7:42:52 AM   
Bill Jandro

I'm not in favor of giving up future #1's for a qb not named Stroud.

With our limited picks a bombed draft really could torpedo this team into the abyss.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 7737
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 8:37:16 AM   
marty

The Vikings are quite close to the abyss right now, it is now the time to get a possible franchise QB.

Richardson/DTR would be a good combo, take 2 chances.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 7738
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 9:04:49 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

With our limited picks a bombed draft really could torpedo this team into the abyss.

The worst scenario would be not giving yourself a chance.

Not doing what you can to get a solid first rd QB prospect (Hooker, Richardson or Levis) is like intentionally throwing way short of the sticks on 4th down at the end of the game in the playoffs. That is the most basic obvious calculation in the sport … you have to find someone that can give you that.

I understand those three are not thrilling prospects … there’s a limit to what I give up … there’s a vast difference betwee selling out to get into the top 5 picks for a blue chipper and selling out only slightly less to get into the top 10-15 for a clearly 2nd tier prospect … I’m not advocating that.

We have to do something. IMO taking a prospect in the third or fourth means another year of a fully guaranteed Cousins extension.
Post #: 7739
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 9:11:26 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

I thought the same about Fields last year; OSU QBs have so much talent around them that they aren't always the easiest to predict.

Rumor is Bears jumped one pick ahead of us to pick him.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/27/2023 9:55:22 AM >

Post #: 7740
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 9:32:24 AM   
Ricky J

I find it all very interesting. The only thing that "scares" me a little is the possibility and cost of moving up to the top of the draft. But that, imo, has slim to no chance of happening. It's heavy price for something that's not close to a sure thing.

I'm fine with a QB at 23. I never seem to be in favor of a trade down even when i know it makes sense. Prob too much od on Rick
Post #: 7741
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 10:50:30 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

I find it all very interesting. The only thing that "scares" me a little is the possibility and cost of moving up to the top of the draft. But that, imo, has slim to no chance of happening. It's heavy price for something that's not close to a sure thing.

I'm fine with a QB at 23. I never seem to be in favor of a trade down even when i know it makes sense. Prob too much od on Rick

I want starters out of the draft....don't care what position.

I think there is going to be a surprise trade to get draft picks.....Cleveland.

Post #: 7742
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 11:26:31 AM   
fmaltes

QBs that lost bowl games: Peyton Manning, Patrick Mahomes, etc.
Post #: 7743
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 11:30:37 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

QBs that lost bowl games: Peyton Manning, Patrick Mahomes, etc.

Marty, Thoughts?

Post #: 7744
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 11:39:12 AM   
marty

Peyton lost a lot of playoff games (with NE benefitting from no calls with their 2ndary), before the refs gave him a biased game in the Colts favor.

Peyton didn't look all that impressive the year he won the SB with Denver, road the coattails of a strong run game and defense.

So it was the norm for Peyton to be not all that impressive in playoff games.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 7745
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 11:40:45 AM   
marty

I am guessing Montana, Aikmann and Brady all won their Bowl games ?

What team did Mahomes lose to in his only Bowl game ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 7746
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 11:42:37 AM   
marty

Also, just curious, did Eli Manning win his Bowl game(s) ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 7747
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 11:46:08 AM   
Ricky J

Which QB benefited most from the team around him? Do you think Aikmann maybe?
Post #: 7748
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 11:47:20 AM   
marty

Wikipedia says Mahomes junior year his team wasn't Bowl eligible, and they lost to Oklahoma during the season, despite putting up 59 points.

< Message edited by marty -- 4/27/2023 11:50:20 AM >

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 7749
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/27/2023 11:49:04 AM   
marty

Aikmann definitely benefitted from the team around him, but there was a good drop off when he didn't play, in his later years.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 7750
Page:   <<   < prev  308 309 [310] 311 312   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  308 309 [310] 311 312   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode