Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 11:05:05 AM  1 votes
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I am not saying officials have anything to do with it, just noticing the underdogs did quite well last week, lots of surprises.

Hopefully this is a better week for favorites, or at least for ONE 2 1/2 point favorite.

I placed a bet on the Vikings giving 2.5 points. I like making bets on teams I expect to win when they have to give less than 3 points. Not too aggressive on this one. Just $60. I'm glad I didn't bet on the Vikings covering the spread last week as it was 6.5.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 951
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 11:06:15 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

Never said "experts" couldn't be wrong; in fact, I explicitly said they might be. But two or three weeks into the season is not a sufficient sample size to validate or refute an approach taken by people who have a lot of experience and insight, as well as a tremendous personal stake in the success of the team. These guys are smart and have a more vast knowledge base about their area than any of us do, and they have some basis for taking the course of action they've selected. Of course they could be wrong. But why not let it play out a bit before the sweeping conclusion that their idiots who should be fired?

And the health/medical/performance personnel on the Vikings who helped determine the approach to travel to and from the game have done loads of work and consulted people whose entire career is devoted to the areas affected, if not international travel's impact on performance itself. And a course of action was settled on and that will play out over the next few days. The Saints did similar work and chose a different approach. But the Vikings are idiots because they're not doing what this or that poster on this board thinks we should do.

I agree completely with Tom that relentlessly positive or negative posting, usually with no or very little basis that is articulated with anything like sound reasoning, is insipid and boring. It is in great supply in here as this season has started. Having concerns is one thing, and many of us have some or many. Ranting and drawing conclusions at this phase tells more about the poster than the posted.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 952
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 11:28:16 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

I am not saying officials have anything to do with it, just noticing the underdogs did quite well last week, lots of surprises.

Hopefully this is a better week for favorites, or at least for ONE 2 1/2 point favorite.

I placed a bet on the Vikings giving 2.5 points. I like making bets on teams I expect to win when they have to give less than 3 points. Not too aggressive on this one. Just $60. I'm glad I didn't bet on the Vikings covering the spread last week as it was 6.5.

Detroit +6.5 was a lock.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 953
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 11:28:38 AM   
David F.

Buckle up Buckaroos!

Dustin Baker
@DustBaker
For folks interested, right about now or Week 5 is when Kirk Cousins really turns it on. Historically, anyway.

Kirk Cousins EPA+COPE Ranking,
Since 2018:
(min. 200 att)

Week 1 to 3 = 28th (out of 41)
Week 4 to 11 = 2nd (out of 54)

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 954
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 12:49:42 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

Never said "experts" couldn't be wrong; in fact, I explicitly said they might be. But two or three weeks into the season is not a sufficient sample size to validate or refute an approach taken by people who have a lot of experience and insight, as well as a tremendous personal stake in the success of the team. These guys are smart and have a more vast knowledge base about their area than any of us do, and they have some basis for taking the course of action they've selected. Of course they could be wrong. But why not let it play out a bit before the sweeping conclusion that their idiots who should be fired?

And the health/medical/performance personnel on the Vikings who helped determine the approach to travel to and from the game have done loads of work and consulted people whose entire career is devoted to the areas affected, if not international travel's impact on performance itself. And a course of action was settled on and that will play out over the next few days. The Saints did similar work and chose a different approach. But the Vikings are idiots because they're not doing what this or that poster on this board thinks we should do.

I agree completely with Tom that relentlessly positive or negative posting, usually with no or very little basis that is articulated with anything like sound reasoning, is insipid and boring. It is in great supply in here as this season has started. Having concerns is one thing, and many of us have some or many. Ranting and drawing conclusions at this phase tells more about the poster than the posted.

the experts could be wrong' ... however ... 'they have so much expertise we have to assume they're right' ...

... so they deserve some nebulous period of time before we criticize them.

You can give them as much slack as you want ... that's your choice. Not everybody's.

EDIT: yes the split-second 'off with their heads' can get old but the excuses that are constantly spinning are no less annoying.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 9/29/2022 2:02:31 PM >
Post #: 955
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 1:10:20 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

quote:

I am the opposite this week, Cousins off his routine? I think a Vikings disaster might be on the table.

If it was a noon kickoff Central time, I would agree with you.
Post #: 956
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 1:16:32 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

I placed a bet on KG surfacing with some bet this week.
Post #: 957
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 1:57:03 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

Detroit +6.5 was a lock.

How much did you win?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 958
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 1:58:27 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

How much did you win?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 959
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 2:15:31 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

How much did you win?

A nice little chunk. Thanks bro!
Post #: 960
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 2:34:26 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

How much did you win?

A nice little chunk. Thanks bro!

No problem. Glad to help.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 961
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 3:03:02 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

Detroit +6.5 was a lock.

I took the moneyline on GB over the Bears. "Risked" $25 for about $5.
This week i took Dallas on the moneyline. $160+ to win a $100.
- no way would i be doing this if i wasnt playing with house money.
- started looking for "no-doubt" locks with little return lately. Win 3 lose 1 and youre about even though
Post #: 962
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 3:42:48 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

How much did you win?

I don't bet on sports but I do belong to a pool that competes by guessing each game each week. So, nothing.

Post #: 963
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 4:52:54 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

How much did you win?

I don't bet on sports but I do belong to a pool that competes by guessing each game each week. So, nothing.

Smart.
Post #: 964
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 6:03:07 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

Since you are in the know, did all they say all the things you proclaim?

Or was the expanded "health/medical/performance personnel on the Vikings who helped determine the approach to travel to and from the game..." just a shallow, made-up CYA?

If not, don't you question who they consulted, what their credentials of an "entire career" are, and how accurate they have been (assuming they have done NFL projections before)?

Do tell! Is Sean Payton an idiot over "I've never traveled there" KOC?

I'm curious because I've traveled across the pond (in this case, the Atlantic) more times than I can remember. Sometimes we were not restricted to commercial time slots. For the rest, Google North Atlantic Tracks. Once 'there', we sometimes went right into flight ops. Sometimes we got up early to plan. Sometimes it was as a tourist.

So, great wealth of Vikings travel plans, let's hear the nuts and bolts.

KOC said it at a presser.

Tyler Williams is the health/performance poohbah, and I don't have any reason to question his sources nor do I think he is infallible.

Sean Payton is not involved in this game.

Why would I know the details?

Tyler Williams. The Executive Director of This and That. It's noted he "...serves on the Lower Extremity Task Force for the NFL Musculoskeletal Community." So we have that going for us, which is nice for traveling across time zones.

Maybe Wilf can hire a 'career' circadian rhythm person or Williams' primary 'source'. Make him the 5th Asst. Head Coach on the staff.

Here's a piece of what Tyler Williams just pulled out of his ass in a slipshod, haphazard, made-up way to justify not only the Vikings travel schedule for this trip, but his very existence. Clearly the entire approach is just completely made up, probably because Williams forgot all about this trip until last week. No one mentioned it until last Friday when, while playing dominoes after lunch for a couple of hours as they do every day, KOC said, "Hey dude, whatever your name is, when do we leave for Scotland?" Then Tyler just vomited out this approach off the top of his head.

(More is at https://www.vikings.com/news/health-performance-strategy-london-game-vs-saints):

From the link above:
Prior to joining Minnesota, Williams was with the Rams from 2007-21, a span during which the Rams traveled to London four different times.

He noted that the Rams did a full-week trip twice and on the other two occasions did a Thursday-Sunday/Monday trip similar to the Vikings plan.

"We did a full week twice, and we've done the short trip twice. Just from personal experience, looking at our concepts, our principles and after-action reviews, we thought the short trip puts us at the best for us and our organization," Williams explained. "Not to say one way is wrong and one way is right. There's probably eight different pathways to get from A to B; it's just what we feel like is best for our team at that time point."

Williams emphasized the priorities considered when tackling such a unique travel situation.

"We'll always make every decision based first and foremost on the players, maximizing their health and performance," he said. "And with that said, it's always the supporting mechanism to football. What we do as a performance strategy or a schedule strategy never trumps the Xs and Os but should enhance it.

"A lot of this comes into education," Williams later added. "Education and communication with [the coaches and players] on the 'why' behind what this does to your body and how to maximize your performance to set you up for success within this travel trip – or any travel trip. It's important to give them the tools to make a great decision."

Typical expert shit, my way or the highway, there's only one way to do it because I'm the expert, screw what anyone else thinks. Clearly no solid basis as to why, like we've gotten on here, with insightful takes like, "Hate that we do it this way" or "I've made several long trips for business and pleasure, and handled jet lag various ways, so..."

< Message edited by bohumm -- 9/29/2022 6:08:51 PM >
Post #: 965
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 7:15:28 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

I think we should watch miami, 3-0 run a 3-4, against Cincinnati

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 966
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 8:59:00 PM   
Ricky J

This is prob why i mute announcers so often. I did enjoy the Mannings the other night seeing them for the first time.

@WhitlockJason
Nothing has damaged sports more than Disney's acquisition of ESPN. It's why competition has been de-emphasized and the narrative has been prioritized

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 9/29/2022 9:00:00 PM >
Post #: 967
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 9:26:35 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

This is prob why i mute announcers so often. I did enjoy the Mannings the other night seeing them for the first time.

@WhitlockJason
Nothing has damaged sports more than Disney's acquisition of ESPN. It's why competition has been de-emphasized and the narrative has been prioritized

I miss sportscenter when they did highlights and talked about game plays. Now you get a little bit of highlights and a bunch of lame opinion.
Post #: 968
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 10:22:14 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

How much did you win?

Smart.

One year I put a huge bet ($1000) on the vikes getting over 8.5 wins. I won the bet but it ruined the fun of the season.

Post #: 969
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 11:15:32 PM   
thebigo

quote:

@WhitlockJason

Amazon's post game seemed pretty lame.
Post #: 970
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2022 11:32:29 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

@WhitlockJason

Amazon is horrible so far. The only thing that change has added so far is money in the owners' pockets. Everything about the broadcast seems significantly worse than the networks.
Post #: 971
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2022 5:25:56 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

@WhitlockJason

Glad i didn't watch it.
Game over, click
Post #: 972
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2022 5:31:20 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

How much did you win?

Smart.

One year I put a huge bet ($1000) on the vikes getting over 8.5 wins. I won the bet but it ruined the fun of the season.

I get that.
I had Det in a parlay last week.
I don't mind betting on teams id just as soon see lose.
To get my house money, which i think i mentined i on Twins thread, i took advantage of Fan Duals intial $1000 first time free bet. Bet the Yanks over the Twins clearing $879. I wouldnt do this with my own money.
Post #: 973
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2022 10:35:59 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

How much did you win?

Smart.

I get that.
To get my house money, which i think i mentined i on Twins thread, i took advantage of Fan Duals intial $1000 first time free bet. Bet the Yanks over the Twins clearing $879. I wouldnt do this with my own money.

So is that $879 real money?
Post #: 974
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2022 10:42:40 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

How much did you win?

Smart.

I get that.

So is that $879 real money?

Real money
I had to dep $1000 first. If i lost the bet they'd of reinbursed me. Ive all ready routed the $1000 back to the bank
Fan Dual

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 9/30/2022 10:44:05 AM >
Post #: 975
Page:   <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode