Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season - 10/8/2022 10:42:49 AM   
TJSweens

Final lineups are shaping up. Golli is back on the first defensive pairing with Spurgeon, which makes me very unhappy. He belongs in the press box. Freddy is still on the 3rd line, which also makes me unhappy. Unless Steele is due for a Hartman type breakout, Boldy will really be held back by his line mates.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 26
RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season - 10/8/2022 10:45:17 AM   
TJSweens

The upside of the defensive pairings is that Middleton will be paired with Addison. I predict that will be our best defensive pairing of the season.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 27
RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season - 10/8/2022 10:54:11 AM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Final lineups are shaping up. Golli is back on the first defensive pairing with Spurgeon, which makes me very unhappy. He belongs in the press box. Freddy is still on the 3rd line, which also makes me unhappy. Unless Steele is due for a Hartman type breakout, Boldy will really be held back by his line mates.

Golli started out very good last year, he just wore down at his age. I don't mind him there until Merrill returns and things get reshuffled to make room. At that point there is a very good chance Golli sits more than plays.
Not sure what kind of pictures Freddy has, but Evason doesn't want anybody to see them that's for sure.
Post #: 28
RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season - 10/8/2022 2:01:09 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

quote:

Golli started out very good last year, he just wore down at his age. I don't mind him there until Merrill returns and things get reshuffled to make room. At that point there is a very good chance Golli sits more than plays.
Not sure what kind of pictures Freddy has, but Evason doesn't want anybody to see them that's for sure.

I hope you're right. Golli's play fell off a cliff last year.

Post #: 29
RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season - 10/8/2022 6:38:46 PM   
Jeff Jesser

JEE in midseason form. Scores and is cheap shotted with an elbow to the face about 15 seconds later. Man that guy pisses his opponents off
Post #: 30
RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season - 10/9/2022 7:52:05 AM   
stfrank

Wild looking good in preseason, but now the games count. Could be another fun season ahead with this group and Kirill and Zuc looking in mid-season form already. I think our forwards will be just fine, but I do worry about our goaltending. The big question, does Fluery have another All Star level season in him? Or does father time catch up with him?
Post #: 31
RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season - 10/9/2022 8:20:26 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

JEE in midseason form. Scores and is cheap shotted with an elbow to the face about 15 seconds later. Man that guy pisses his opponents off

That's the life of a shit monger.

Post #: 32
RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season - 10/9/2022 12:14:50 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

Wild looking good in preseason, but now the games count. Could be another fun season ahead with this group and Kirill and Zuc looking in mid-season form already. I think our forwards will be just fine, but I do worry about our goaltending. The big question, does Fluery have another All Star level season in him? Or does father time catch up with him?

PP too. Really good and down right awful at times yesterday
Post #: 33
RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season - 10/9/2022 12:18:09 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

That’s the funny thing though. You never really see what he does to get to them. He’s either really sneaky or just a sick 😷
Post #: 34
RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season - 10/9/2022 3:02:30 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

That’s the funny thing though. You never really see what he does to get to them. He’s either really sneaky or just a sick 😷

I think it's a subtle series of jabs, elbows and shoves that irritate during the game and leave pthem pissed off long after.

Post #: 35
RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season - 10/9/2022 3:34:50 PM   
stfrank

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think it's a subtle series of jabs, elbows and shoves that irritate during the game and leave pthem pissed off long after.

That along with his smirk that gets under their skin is what does it I think.
Post #: 36
RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season - 10/10/2022 8:52:31 AM   
Phil Riewer

Michael Russo
@RussoHockey
·
20h
#mnwild will place both Nic Petan & Mason Shaw on waivers. This means Marco Rossi has made the ON roster w Andrej Sustr and Wild will keep 12 fwds to start. Suspect w 4 home games to start, they feel why waste cap space? They get Petan/Shaw playing until needed (if they clear)

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 37
RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season - 10/10/2022 11:13:39 AM   
Phil Riewer

Michael Russo
@RussoHockey
·
26m
Can't see it. What's extraordinary, as tight as the #mnwild cap squeeze is this year & next two, the front office has done an impressive job creating cap space to possibly land significant player(s) this season. They're not wiping it away with Nick as much as that pains me to say
Quote Tweet
Chuck Henrickson
@ChuckHenrickson
·
38m
@RussoHockey any chance the WILD pick up on Nick Foligno? He was put on Waivers by Boston...

Post #: 38
RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season - 10/11/2022 10:31:12 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Why bother? 3 bad seasons and isn't getting younger. Spend it elsewhere.
Post #: 39
RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season - 10/11/2022 3:33:20 PM   
stfrank

Yup, we are going younger and faster, not older and slower.......
Post #: 40
RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season - 10/12/2022 7:31:38 AM   
Phil Riewer

Wild prospect Pavel Novak on his battle to beat cancer and what comes next

Wild prospect Pavel Novak on his battle to beat cancer and what comes next
By Michael Russo

In hindsight, after the interrupted World Junior Championship last winter, Pavel Novak wonders if the fatigue he felt during the second half of his season with the Kelowna Rockets was a symptom of a larger problem.
“I was sweating a lot and always sleeping,” the Minnesota Wild prospect remembers.
Other than that, though, Novak had no idea something was seriously wrong inside his body.

Then, in the third week of May, two weeks after signing his entry-level contract with the Wild, the talented center was asked to take a blood test to clear him to work out again after having had COVID-19 during the WHL playoffs.
Novak took the routine blood test but was surprised two days later when his doctor called and asked him to return to his office for more tests because there were some alarming numbers in his bloodwork.
That call turned life upside down for a young man who turned 20 only a month earlier. There were CT scans, more blood tests and dozens of appointments after a mass was discovered between his lungs and his heart.

Still, nobody ever told him he might have had cancer, even though Novak wasn’t born yesterday and noticed that at every doctor’s office he went to the other patients clearly had cancer.
“You know something is wrong because the people next to you don’t have hair,” Novak says, speaking over the phone from his home in Veseli nad Luznici, Czechia. “So I was doing the same appointments as people with cancer, so you start to realize something is not going very well. I was afraid I would hear the same news.”

That call did eventually come a month after that initial blood test.
Ten days after Novak underwent a biopsy, he was driving home with his parents, Pavel Sr., and Pavlina, from Kladno, Czechia, where he was attending school at 1.KSPA.
“It was an unknown number, so I had a feeling it was the doctor and was pretty nervous,” Novak says. “It was, and he told me I had cancer.”
Novak was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma, an aggressive but very treatable cancer that affects the lymphatic system and can spread quickly through the body.
“The same cancer Mario Lemieux had,” Novak says. “The doctor was pretty happy because he told me this is one of the best cancers to have and it could be a lot worse cancers, and that there was more than a 90 percent chance that everything’s going to be OK.

“He basically said it’s not really a big problem, but it is a big problem. My parents were upset but strong. I was actually pretty happy, not that I had cancer, but that I finally had an answer as to finally what was wrong with me and what’s going to happen. It was a long four weeks. Lots of appointments and not knowing what was going on.”

The doctor told Novak he had two options: To begin treatment in Budejovice, 20 minutes from his hometown, or at a hospital that specializes in cancer and especially Hodgkin’s lymphoma two hours away in Prague.
“I, of course, chose Prague,” Novak says.
During the ordeal, Novak called Matt Hendricks, the Wild’s assistant director of player development, and told him he was having health issues, needed to have more tests and wasn’t sure if he’d be able to attend development camp in July.
“But I couldn’t tell him what was going on because I didn’t know,” Novak says.
After Novak was diagnosed with cancer, he asked his Czechia-based agent, Ales Volek, who works with his North American-based agents, J.P. Barry and Pat Brisson with CAA, to call the Wild and inform them.
“It was just too sensitive for me and hard to talk about at the start,” Novak says. “So I asked Ales to call them.”

He says the Wild couldn’t have been more supportive. First, the team gave him a third option: To fly to Minnesota on their dime so he could be treated at Mayo Clinic in Rochester and “they’d take care of me.”
Novak decided against that option because it would be hard for his support system — his parents, 16-year-old sister Ema and girlfriend Kristina — to accompany him.
“It would have been tough for me. I needed my parents,” Novak says. “But the Wild called me right away. I had a call with Matt Hendricks, (director of player development) Brad (Bombardir) and (general manager) Bill Guerin, and they told me, ‘It’s OK. Don’t worry about hockey. We’ll wait for you and you’ll play for us one day.’ It was amazing for me to hear. It was a big relief.”

On June 24, Novak announced publicly that his career would need to be put on hold because of the diagnosis.
“It was tough for me to share the news,” he says.
Days later, Novak began four cycles of chemotherapy, with each cycle being three weeks. The first week was Monday through Wednesday lasting two to four hours.
“You’re not feeling very good after that,” Novak says. “Your stomach is really upset. You feel like you are going to throw up all the time, but you do not throw up. So, really weird. It almost feels like after a hard workout or hard practice or hard bike ride, where you feel like you’re going to throw up.
“But this was a lot worse than that.”

Still, throughout his treatment, Novak felt in his heart of hearts that he was getting better. He posted social media updates on Instagram and that was uplifting because so many well-wishers, especially Wild fans in Minnesota, direct messaged him with words of encouragement.
“I had so much support,” Novak says.
From teammates, too. The World Junior Championship where this all started, which was put on pause because of the pandemic, was eventually scheduled for August, and Czech players like Michal Gut showed their support for Novak by playing with a special stick with purple coloring on it.

“My parents were really strong,” says Novak of his dad, who owns a drywall company, and his mom, who manages a grocery store. “But it had to be very tough for them, especially when your 20-year-old is told he has cancer. You never expect that. But it’s part of life. They looked to me very strong, but I’m sure when I wasn’t home they were talking about it a lot.”

Last month, Novak dropped the puck for the ceremonial opening faceoff before the home opener for his old Czech team, HC Motor Ceske Budejovice.
He looked great and felt great as behind the scenes his latest CT scan no longer showed the mass on his chest. But he was awaiting results from a number of blood tests.
Earlier this month, Novak got those results.
“My doctor and the nurses were smiling wide, so it was the first time I realized they’re about to tell me good news,” Novak says. “My doctor looked at me and said, ‘You’re cancer-free. Everything is all right.’ I was so happy. Everything was finally different. I will remember that day probably for the rest of my life.”
But, Novak adds, “I expected it. During treatment, I felt the whole time, ‘I’m getting better. I’m getting better.’ For my parents, they were crying. It was a really nice moment for them.”

On Oct. 5, after informing the Wild, Novak announced to the world he was cancer-free. On Instagram, he posted a smiling picture of himself shaving the top of his head.
“Everybody keeps telling me I look good with my head shaved, and every time I posted a picture of myself without hair this summer, people messaged me, saying, ‘You will win this fight,’” Novak says, laughing. “I kind of thought maybe I would stay with my hair cut, but now that my hair is growing back, I may go back to my old one.”
One of the happiest people to receive the news was Wild director of amateur scouting Judd Brackett, who drafted Novak after a 25-goal, 58-point rookie year with Kelowna. Novak’s a shoot-first finisher who has an excellent wrist shot, reads the game well and often catches goalies by surprise.

But it’s his leadership and strength that attracted him to Brackett.
“He’s incredible,” Brackett says. “There was never a doubt he would win this fight. That’s the person we banked on in Round 5. He’s got ability, but his makeup is special.”
Novak scored 29 goals and 72 points in 62 games for Kelowna last season and cannot wait to get things started with the Iowa Wild.
If he can find a way to Des Moines this season, that would be a bonus. But he would need a green light from his doctors first. His body has fought hard, and he needs to take things slowly.
“I’ve started working out again and am skating, but slowly, taking it step by step,” Novak says. “The goal is to be ready and part of the team for next year.”
Novak is proud that he beat cancer and showed such strength throughout a scary, scary time.

“Hockey, for me, is very important, but when I knew I had cancer, it was second for me,” he says. “My only goal was to be healthy again. My only thought was, ‘I have to win this fight.’ I said to myself, ‘Worry about what happens next at a later time,’ because it doesn’t really matter if I don’t beat cancer.

“Well, I beat cancer.”

Post #: 41
RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season - 10/12/2022 10:57:03 AM   
Lynn G.

Hard not to read that story without getting some dust in the eyes.

Good things are ahead for that young man. And thank goodness 21st century medicine can beat some things that used to be an automatic death prognosis.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 42
RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season - 10/12/2022 4:52:36 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Good things are ahead for that young man. And thank goodness 21st century medicine can beat some things that used to be an automatic death prognosis.

Yup, good for Pavel. He had the exact same symptoms I had some 38 years ago when I had Hodgkin's. I even had a mass in my chest like him. It sounds like his chemo was a lot easier than the 9 months worth I went through way back in the 80's. I had a complete recovery and only missed a beat for about a year, so hopefully he will back at it and playing hockey full speed by next season.
Post #: 43
RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season - 10/12/2022 5:10:36 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Yup, good for Pavel. He had the exact same symptoms I had some 38 years ago when I had Hodgkin's. I even had a mass in my chest like him. It sounds like his chemo was a lot easier than the 9 months worth I went through way back in the 80's. I had a complete recovery and only missed a beat for about a year, so hopefully he will back at it and playing hockey full speed by next season.

Grateful you beat it...Our neighbor is going thru stage 4; not a great thing.

Post #: 44
RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season - 10/12/2022 5:27:04 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Yeah, I'm grateful every day. My cousin's husband had the same thing as me back then and he wasn't as lucky as me. He ended up battling it off and on for 5 years and finally lost his battle. Wishing your neighbor good luck.....it's never easy.
Post #: 45
RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season - 10/13/2022 8:34:51 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Yeah, I'm grateful every day. My cousin's husband had the same thing as me back then and he wasn't as lucky as me. He ended up battling it off and on for 5 years and finally lost his battle. Wishing your neighbor good luck.....it's never easy.

Horrible thing. I heard she had blockage in her intestines after the stage 4 lung. So they fixed that which delayed the chemo on her lung....now it sounds like she struggles to walk. 2-3 years before retirement.

Post #: 46
RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season - 10/13/2022 9:51:55 AM   
TJSweens

And so it begins. How good will we be? Can we replace Fiala's production? Will our goal tending hold up?

Replacing Fiala's production will be hard. Consider that the people we are looking to contribute a little more are coming off career years. I'm especially concerned with whether of not guys like Hartman and Foligno will have significant drop offs in scoring. The strib has an interesting article on guys coming off career years.

Foligno scored more goals last year than his previous two years combined. The encouraging thing is that his shooting% didn't change last year. He simply shot the puck more. My hope is that last year was just a natural progression from being a checker to a guy who has learned that it is OK to try to score. The GREEF line will remain intact and they generate a lot of zone time and opportunities. I think if Foligno keeps shooting, a 20 goal repeat is doable.

Hartman scored 34 goals last year when he had never scored more than 19 before. In fact he only has two other seasons in double digits at 12 and 10. This is such a big anomaly, that it concerns me. No doubt, he has really benefitted from playing with Kaprizov and Zuccs. His game seems to compliment their games beautifully. He is a high IQ guy, who knows where the opportunities are and knows how to take advantage of the opportunities that come with playing with a couple of premiere offensive players. I think he can continue to produce offensively playing on the top line. I don't know that a repeat of 34 goals is realistic.

I'm looking for a few more goals from Kaprizov believe it or not. I just think he is that prolific a scorer. Boldy should up his output with a full season. Boldy had a big impact on Freddy as well as Fiala. We'll see if the move to wing helps Gaudreau and if Steel is a good fit. I would be surprised if Rossi ultimately centers that line. Rossi could help, but I don't know how productive he will be flanked by Duhaime and Dewar.

As far as goal tending, my wild ass prediction based on no tangible evidence is that Gustavsson is going to surprise the hell out of everybody and look damn good. He will show himself to be the superior half of the goalie tandem and not play a single minute in the playoffs.

Post #: 47
RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season - 10/13/2022 3:27:09 PM   
bstinger

I'm expecting a disappointing season, but I hope I'm wrong.

Prediction: fringe playoff team (7th-10th), 1st round exit if we make it.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 48
RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season - 10/13/2022 4:17:42 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Can we replace Fiala's production?

Not only that. He instantly made Boldy a viable option as a scoring outlet. Can someone step up and assume that role too. It sure looked like (as far as the games I was able to see) that they are expecting that to come from Rossi.
Post #: 49
RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season - 10/13/2022 5:10:51 PM   
Phil Riewer

I like what I see out of Steel and Rossi.....mostly I expect us to trade pieces (Dumba and young defenseman) for another scorer.

Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2022/2023 Season Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode