Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2023 NFL Draft

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2023 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/3/2023 9:17:21 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

I wouldn't mind drafting a guy like Dorian Thompson-Robinson later in the draft. The kid had a solid career at UCLA. He can run. Completed nearly 70% of his passes his senior season.

Yeah. Draft Hooker and DTR. Go all in to find a good mobile QB.
Post #: 101
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/3/2023 10:09:33 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Cousins likely won't be on the roster next year, but if they choose to pay his dead cap at once then he will command the largest % of the cap. Regardless, with JJ's and Darrisaw's contracts looming IMO the QB will be a draftee. So, draft one this year and draft one next year.

Or yes, double down one or both years. Using say a 5th for a QB is a lot different that using one for a G or LB.
Post #: 102
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/3/2023 10:24:12 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Cousins likely won't be on the roster next year, but if they choose to pay his dead cap at once then he will command the largest % of the cap. Regardless, with JJ's and Darrisaw's contracts looming IMO the QB will be a draftee. So, draft one this year and draft one next year.

Or yes, double down one or both years. Using say a 5th for a QB is a lot different that using one for a G or LB.

If Cousins isn't on the roster in 2024 the Vikings won't have the choice - the entire dead cap from all the void years will hit all at once.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 103
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/3/2023 11:44:52 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

I just want him gone… not my money, don’t care what it costs, in the short term

Six seasons of being the definition of mediocrity, is far too long for me.

We have to “reach” for a rookie deal QB every year till we hit on one..

Bringing in cousins or mcnabb or some other band aidtype to remain relevant.. is pointless..

Stop rooting around in scrap piles and try to choose a “ non-lemon” off the NCAA assembly line..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 104
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/7/2023 11:56:28 AM   
Mark Anderson

Mixon having legal troubles in Cincy.

Cook & #23 for #28 and #60
Post #: 105
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/11/2023 10:53:36 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

This makes no sense. Why would we do this?

A good player and move down to add a 2nd round pick?

Unless they packaged those picks to move up and select a QB makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 106
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/11/2023 1:21:19 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Unless they packaged those picks to move up and select a QB makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

We re-signed Mattison. KOC likes Chandler. We need cap space. Cook is gone.

Getting a 3rd round value for Cook would be a steal.
Post #: 107
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/11/2023 1:49:27 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't know that I would call it steal. Especially if your trading down 5 spots in the first to make it happen.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 108
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/11/2023 2:41:49 PM   
David Levine

Kiper:

23. Minnesota Vikings
Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State

Cornerback is a clear need area for Minnesota, which replaced Patrick Peterson with Byron Murphy but has plenty of available corner reps. Forbes needs to grow into his 6-1 frame -- he weighed in at 166 pounds at the combine -- but he is a great cover corner. He had six career pick-sixes in college, and he never missed a game because of injury. He needs to be more consistent, but he has outstanding instincts and his ceiling is high. The Vikings also could target a wideout to complement Justin Jefferson with this pick.
Post #: 109
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/11/2023 2:47:18 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't know that I would call it steal. Especially if your trading down 5 spots in the first to make it happen.

Exactly my point.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 110
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/11/2023 2:50:52 PM   
David Levine

Kiper's "Top 25" on some players that I have seen linked to us in various mocks:

4. Will Levis, QB, Kentucky
HT: 6-4 | WT: 229 | Previously: 4

Levis' stats won't blow anyone away, but he didn't have a great supporting cast of playmakers around him. He had 19 touchdown passes and 10 interceptions last season, and his 60.9 QBR ranked 59th in the country. But when I went through and watched all of his starts at Kentucky, I was really impressed with his game. Levis has a rocket launcher for an arm and makes some "wow" throws. That has gotten the Penn State transfer into trouble at times, but it's clear watching him that he believes he can fit the ball into any window. My comparison for him is Matthew Stafford.

Levis played in a pro-style offense at Kentucky, and he's not going to need much time to adjust to the NFL. He can maneuver the pocket and throw on the run. Many of Levis' turnovers came when he tried to use his arm to force throws, and he's going to be punished for mistakes at the next level. He is the real deal, though, and there are lots of Levis fans in the NFL.

10. Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College
HT: 5-9 | WT: 182 | Previously: 16

Flowers, who had 200 catches and 31 touchdowns in his college career, is one of my favorite prospects in this entire class. He's so elusive, so quick in and out of his breaks. He can play out of the slot or lined up outside. He can take a jet sweep to the house. He just gets open and makes plays. He forced 25 missed tackles last season, the third most in the country for a wideout. Flowers' size won't wow teams, but if they just put on the tape, they'll see why he's a first-round talent.

19. Jordan Addison, WR, USC
HT: 5-11 | WT: 171 | Previously: 22

We discussed Addison early in the 2022 season when he had seven catches for 172 yards and two scores. What stands out about him is his route-running ability. He just gets open, and he can do it in so many ways. He can make up ground with late bursts to track the ball. He explodes off the line of scrimmage. Addison had 100 catches for 1,592 yards and 17 touchdowns at Pitt in 2021. He struggled a little bit with an unspecified injury over the last two months in 2022, but he finished the season with 59 catches for 875 yards and eight scores. He was used out of the slot more at Pitt -- he had 76 catches and 14 touchdowns when lined up there in 2021 -- but could play anywhere at the next level.

22. Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State
HT: 6-1 | WT: 166 | Previously: 23

As I wrote in my mock draft 2.0, Forbes is a boom-or-bust corner. He has a knack for the incredible play -- he had 14 picks over the past three seasons. He also can get beat deep at times. Some of that is because he was asked to lock down the top receiver on every team and he didn't get much help. On tape, though, I really like Forbes' aggressiveness and fight. The question is his weight -- he was just 166 pounds at the combine after being listed at 180 pounds in college. That's small. I still think he's a Round 1 prospect -- he obviously will put on weight as he gets older -- but he's not a top-15 lock. What helps Forbes is that he ran a lightning-fast 4.35-second 40-yard dash in Indianapolis (with an elite 1.48 10-yard split).

-----

He has Hooker as his #5 QB, so not in his Top 25 players.
Post #: 111
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/11/2023 4:56:19 PM   
David Levine

There is a player in the draft with the actual name "Bumper Pool". We need to draft him.

Bumper James Morris Pool (born James Morris Pool; September 28, 1999) is an American football linebacker for the Arkansas Razorbacks.

When Pool was 16, he legally changed his name to Bumper James Morris Pool.

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS
• Tougher between the tackles than many expect. Fluid and quick drop into zone, covers enough ground to be Tampa-2 "MIKE" and knows where the markers are.
• Reads the quarterback to anticipate and is a candidate to play outside.
• A bit stiff but makes the clean open-field tackle. Good effort in pursuit.
• Pool can be used as a rangy run defender inside, instinctive when it comes to locating the ball with the quickness to get to it before blockers can react at the second level.
• Pool shows good quickness off the line of scrimmage and flashes the violent hands to win around the edge.
• A chase-and-tackle Will prospect, Pool is instinctive, reading and reacting quickly and showing the ability to absolutely fly around the field.

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES
• Lacks functional strength in the pass rush, struggling to disengage and too easily pushed past the pocket.
• Pool is on the small side, and his frame is pretty much maxed out. Despite his effort and intensity, he’ll simply get swallowed up at times.
• He’ll get pushed around at the point of attack.
Post #: 112
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/12/2023 6:17:38 PM   
Todd M

Seen a mock...23, 24, 25 1st rp plus Hunter for #3 - Anthony Richardson.

Sure would be exciting.

I'd rather do Z than Hunter though. Don't really want to take anything away from our defense tbh.
Post #: 113
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/12/2023 7:12:20 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

There is a player in the draft with the actual name "Bumper Pool". We need to draft him.

Bumper James Morris Pool (born James Morris Pool; September 28, 1999) is an American football linebacker for the Arkansas Razorbacks.

When Pool was 16, he legally changed his name to Bumper James Morris Pool.

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS
• Tougher between the tackles than many expect. Fluid and quick drop into zone, covers enough ground to be Tampa-2 "MIKE" and knows where the markers are.
• Reads the quarterback to anticipate and is a candidate to play outside.
• A bit stiff but makes the clean open-field tackle. Good effort in pursuit.
• Pool can be used as a rangy run defender inside, instinctive when it comes to locating the ball with the quickness to get to it before blockers can react at the second level.
• Pool shows good quickness off the line of scrimmage and flashes the violent hands to win around the edge.
• A chase-and-tackle Will prospect, Pool is instinctive, reading and reacting quickly and showing the ability to absolutely fly around the field.

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES
• Lacks functional strength in the pass rush, struggling to disengage and too easily pushed past the pocket.
• Pool is on the small side, and his frame is pretty much maxed out. Despite his effort and intensity, he’ll simply get swallowed up at times.
• He’ll get pushed around at the point of attack.

Anyone named Foosball Table to line up next to him?
Post #: 114
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/12/2023 7:15:53 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Kiper's "Top 25" on some players that I have seen linked to us in various mocks:

4. Will Levis, QB, Kentucky
HT: 6-4 | WT: 229 | Previously: 4

Levis' stats won't blow anyone away, but he didn't have a great supporting cast of playmakers around him. He had 19 touchdown passes and 10 interceptions last season, and his 60.9 QBR ranked 59th in the country. But when I went through and watched all of his starts at Kentucky, I was really impressed with his game. Levis has a rocket launcher for an arm and makes some "wow" throws. That has gotten the Penn State transfer into trouble at times, but it's clear watching him that he believes he can fit the ball into any window. My comparison for him is Matthew Stafford.

Levis played in a pro-style offense at Kentucky, and he's not going to need much time to adjust to the NFL. He can maneuver the pocket and throw on the run. Many of Levis' turnovers came when he tried to use his arm to force throws, and he's going to be punished for mistakes at the next level. He is the real deal, though, and there are lots of Levis fans in the NFL.

10. Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College
HT: 5-9 | WT: 182 | Previously: 16

Flowers, who had 200 catches and 31 touchdowns in his college career, is one of my favorite prospects in this entire class. He's so elusive, so quick in and out of his breaks. He can play out of the slot or lined up outside. He can take a jet sweep to the house. He just gets open and makes plays. He forced 25 missed tackles last season, the third most in the country for a wideout. Flowers' size won't wow teams, but if they just put on the tape, they'll see why he's a first-round talent.

19. Jordan Addison, WR, USC
HT: 5-11 | WT: 171 | Previously: 22

We discussed Addison early in the 2022 season when he had seven catches for 172 yards and two scores. What stands out about him is his route-running ability. He just gets open, and he can do it in so many ways. He can make up ground with late bursts to track the ball. He explodes off the line of scrimmage. Addison had 100 catches for 1,592 yards and 17 touchdowns at Pitt in 2021. He struggled a little bit with an unspecified injury over the last two months in 2022, but he finished the season with 59 catches for 875 yards and eight scores. He was used out of the slot more at Pitt -- he had 76 catches and 14 touchdowns when lined up there in 2021 -- but could play anywhere at the next level.

22. Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State
HT: 6-1 | WT: 166 | Previously: 23

As I wrote in my mock draft 2.0, Forbes is a boom-or-bust corner. He has a knack for the incredible play -- he had 14 picks over the past three seasons. He also can get beat deep at times. Some of that is because he was asked to lock down the top receiver on every team and he didn't get much help. On tape, though, I really like Forbes' aggressiveness and fight. The question is his weight -- he was just 166 pounds at the combine after being listed at 180 pounds in college. That's small. I still think he's a Round 1 prospect -- he obviously will put on weight as he gets older -- but he's not a top-15 lock. What helps Forbes is that he ran a lightning-fast 4.35-second 40-yard dash in Indianapolis (with an elite 1.48 10-yard split).

-----

He has Hooker as his #5 QB, so not in his Top 25 players.

I watched Levis play a few games. I thought he had a huge arm and is able to move out of the pocket. But, he seemed to bank on his arm a lot. With some skilled guys around him and a decent coach, he should be a good pro.
Post #: 115
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/15/2023 8:26:47 PM   
marty

I think Richardson will be the surprise drop, and not get picked in the top 10.

I think the Vikings, feeling too much sense of urgency for getting a franchise QB, will then either move up to get Richardson, or will trade down and draft Hooker near the top of the 2nd round.

My preference is for the Vikings to trade back, and draft a WR and a CB with their 1st 2 picks. I wouldn't mind them taking a flyer on DTR at the end of the 2nd round, or the 3rd or 4th round.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 116
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/16/2023 7:31:56 PM   
BisonFan

So what potential draftees have the Vikings had come visit for the upcoming draft? I haven't seen much.
Post #: 117
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/16/2023 7:48:19 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: BisonFan

So what potential draftees have the Vikings had come visit for the upcoming draft? I haven't seen much.

Vikingsterritory.com has an article with the names.
Post #: 118
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/17/2023 6:08:46 AM   
marty

I don't think the Vikings want to wait another year to draft QOTF, and like Mark said earlier, the chances of getting the #1 spot and Caleb Williams are pretty low.

I now think the Vikings are going to move up, and roll the dice with Richardson. I like the potential he shows, he just doesn't have a lot of experience, and can KOC mold the guy into greatness ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 119
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/17/2023 7:38:18 AM   
Todd M

I don't see trading up. I'd like to see it but doubt we will.

And I'm not sure there's a huge difference between Hooker at 23 vs a guy we can get in the 3rd.

So I'm predicting a trade down and a hope for a diamond in the rough @QB.
Post #: 120
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/17/2023 8:00:23 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I think Richardson will be the surprise drop, and not get picked in the top 10.

I think the Vikings, feeling too much sense of urgency for getting a franchise QB, will then either move up to get Richardson, or will trade down and draft Hooker near the top of the 2nd round.

My preference is for the Vikings to trade back, and draft a WR and a CB with their 1st 2 picks. I wouldn't mind them taking a flyer on DTR at the end of the 2nd round, or the 3rd or 4th round.

that is my preference, too...the question; is there someone they prefer enough to trade up 5-6 picks for?...like quentin johnston....

i saw a mock yesterday that had richardson picked at the #4 spot of the 1st round....

can we get a 2nd rounder for cook & z'smith, together?....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 121
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/17/2023 8:52:13 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Kwesi hasn't traded with Chicago yet so that will happen when we are on the clock at #23. He will take a loss trading down then select the 4th rated LB. He will also continue the Ghana connection with a mid-round pick.
Post #: 122
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/17/2023 9:06:48 AM   
marty

When I think of what I thought were sure things in the past: John Elway, Peyton Manning, Trevor Lawrence, the Vikings had NO chance of getting them.

They will have no chance of getting Caleb Williams next year.

When the Herschel Walker trade was made, I said to my friends, I would only have given that up for a QB. If they could have gotten Elway or Montana for that, would have been worth a shot.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 123
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/17/2023 9:08:37 AM   
marty

Here is what I think the Vikings will do:

They will package Cook, Zed and picks to get up to #3, and they will take Anthony Richardson.

You have nothing until you have a franchise QB, it may be worth a shot.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 124
RE: 2023 NFL Draft - 4/17/2023 9:11:17 AM   
marty

Here is what I would do:

Package Cook, Zed and picks to move up to #3 (provided Richardson isn't already taken), and select Richardson.

I would also take DTR in the 4th round, if he is still there.
Post #: 125
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2023 NFL Draft Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode