Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

General Vikes Talk - Archived 3-11-24

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> General Vikes Talk - Archived 3-11-24 Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
General Vikes Talk - Archived 3-11-24 - 5/4/2023 8:11:25 AM  2 votes
Toby Stumbo

After the best draft in Vikings HISTORY it is time to start a fresh thread to talk about it.

< Message edited by Toby Stumbo -- 3/11/2024 3:09:33 PM >

GO VIKES!
Post #: 1
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 8:49:32 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Hopefully at least 1-2 UDFAs (LB Pace, DE Carter) pan out.
Post #: 2
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 9:11:34 AM   
Ricky J

I liked the results of the draft.

And how can you not like Pace and Carter? We'll have to see but the vibes are good right now!
Post #: 3
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 9:26:38 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

What the actual hell???

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 4
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 9:47:29 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

What the actual hell???

Life is too short. Be grateful, Dan!
Post #: 5
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 10:14:33 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toby Stumbo

After the best draft in Vikings HISTORY it is time to start a fresh thread to talk about it.

I was pretty underwhelmed by the draft, but OK.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 6
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 10:20:17 AM   
David F.

Pat and Jim on Moving the Chains pointed out yesterday that the Vikings only have 4 guards on the roster right now while most teams are carrying 7 or 8. Bring in the UDFAs and unsigned vets!

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 7
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 10:35:35 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Been waiting for days to change my sig after coming to appreciate the draft more but in the waiting there was Kwesi saying he wasn't opposed to extending Cousins. He's going to be Cousins' bitch. Talks a big game but can't put it together for a brand new franchise QB.

So the sig stays.

So you think the way the team stood after last year that the focus shouldn't have been on defense? There wasn't another offseason restructure which seems Kwesi is standing pat which is what many posters wanted (if I remember correctly).

Yes the focus should have been more on defense.

But at their pick in the first round they had two higher rated QBs available and they passed. there were a number of good defensive players still available, but they passed. by all reports they tried to trade down there, they ended up taking a WR.

Now I am not saying that Jordan Addison is a bust or sucks...I look forward to him catching a lot of passes for us.

It's just that if defense was more of a priority and with greater needs elsewhere, like QBOFT maybe? that maybe we should have used that pick for something more useful.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 8
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 11:01:57 AM   
marty

I think things are looking pretty good for a failed attempt to trade up for Caleb Williams next year.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 9
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 11:05:45 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott
quote:
Been waiting for days to change my sig after coming to appreciate the draft more but in the waiting there was Kwesi saying he wasn't opposed to extending Cousins. He's going to be Cousins' bitch. Talks a big game but can't put it together for a brand new franchise QB.
So the sig stays.
So you think the way the team stood after last year that the focus shouldn't have been on defense? There wasn't another offseason restructure which seems Kwesi is standing pat which is what many posters wanted (if I remember correctly).

But at their pick in the first round they had two higher rated QBs available and they passed. there were a number of good defensive players still available, but they passed. by all reports they tried to trade down there, they ended up taking a WR.

Now I am not saying that Jordan Addison is a bust or sucks...I look forward to him catching a lot of passes for us.

It's just that if defense was more of a priority and with greater needs elsewhere, like QBOFT maybe? that maybe we should have used that pick for something more useful.

What I heard from KFAN is that they signed a CB, LB, and DT/DE in FA before the draft and WR was a thin position after the top 4. The CB we drafted in the 3rd was similar to the players drafted earlier. I didn't watch USC or LSU much this year or BYU for that matter.

I like the players we drafted late and the top two UDFA as they seem like the best value but it is a wait and see game; Pace looks like he could play LB and Carter looks like he will be DE menace.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 10
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 11:07:56 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I think things are looking pretty good for a failed attempt to trade up for Caleb Williams next year.

Pickett looked better with Addison....don't know if that should be a measuring stick or not.

Post #: 11
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 11:17:02 AM   
marty

Steve Smith said USC didn't use Addison right, didn't have him running enough of the routes in his route tree.

Pickett wasn't a bad QB, I wanted the Vikings to draft him last year, small hands and all.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 12
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 12:07:43 PM   
Ricky J

I saw this as a response to Cousin haters in the mailbag section of Vikings.com. I thought it was soooo right on --

I feel like the people in the Cousins' camp built permanent residences, and the people against him will never be enticed to set up a tent with a lake view. I remain intrigued by what a second year in the same system for Cousins will yeild since we've not seen that here.
Post #: 13
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 12:09:02 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

So the sig stays.

Exactly. Fine with the Addison and the 3-7 rd picks. Really looking forward to seeing these prospects / hoping for the best / interested to find out if Kwesi picked up his game this year / has better luck with their impact. Some decent UDFAs to lump into that sentiment.

BUT ... for my money, it's not just egotistical but egomaniacal to think you can adequately address the QB position by developing Jaren Halls.

Which tells me they really like Cousins as more than just a placeholder, and they are arrogantly confidant they can extend him for a minimum of 3 more years. (1-2 years I think you take more aggressive swings at guys like Levis or Hooker who, with all their warts, at least seem to have some starting attributes to gamble on ... Hall is just a lottery ticket for backup much less starter).

After two offseasons (unless something wild happens before the season), we seem to think we can continue to build the roster around the position but not solidify the position long term.

Not disappointed in who we drafted, disappointed in who we didn't draft though.
Post #: 14
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 12:10:27 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

I saw this as a response to Cousin haters in the mailbag section of Vikings.com. I thought it was soooo right on --

I feel like the people in the Cousins' camp built permanent residences, and the people against him will never be enticed to set up a tent with a lake view. I remain intrigued by what a second year in the same system for Cousins will yeild since we've not seen that here.

Always with the hater label.

Makes it impossible to read your posts in good faith.
Post #: 15
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 12:55:29 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

I was not “ fine” with Addison at 23…

With so many huge hole on defense and so much talent out there..

Wasted pick

PeriodT.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 16
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 1:02:42 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

Always with the hater label.

Makes it impossible to read your posts in good faith.

It seems to me you (and a few otehrs) always look at my posts like I'm posting in anger? Seldom do I ever. What would be a good alternative? I mean do you not read what the people who can't stand Cousins write?

But, thank you for your honesty and I'll never use the phrase again ... I hardly ever write about him anymore 'cause I always get it back in spades in one form or another.

- everythings good here, I'll do better
Post #: 17
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 1:09:38 PM  1 votes
marty

Minnesota made the right move to draft Moss, despite having a solid WR corps. Cincy made the right move to draft Chase, despite having more needs at OL or defense. SF made a great move adding McCaffrey last season.

Minnesota made the right choice drafting Addison, if he is a great WR.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 18
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 1:18:30 PM   
marty

I expect Kirk will do well in his 2nd year in KOC's system, however,

1) they will be playing a 1st place schedule
2) the offense will miss Cook
3) the offense will probably miss the steady Theilen
4) there may be injuries we didn't have last year
5) the OL is likely to have the same weaknesses inside
6) Kirk isn't likely to improve his pocket presence

Kirk might play better in the playoffs, IF they make the playoffs. Is also possible he pulls a stinker, and plays WORSE in the playoffs. It could be interesting.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 19
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 2:05:01 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I expect Kirk will do well in his 2nd year in KOC's system, however,

1) they will be playing a 1st place schedule
2) the offense will miss Cook
3) the offense will probably miss the steady Theilen
4) there may be injuries we didn't have last year
5) the OL is likely to have the same weaknesses inside
6) Kirk isn't likely to improve his pocket presence

Kirk might play better in the playoffs, IF they make the playoffs. Is also possible he pulls a stinker, and plays WORSE in the playoffs. It could be interesting.

1) Yes
2) No--they have Chandler and rookie for explosion, Mattison for between the tackles
3) No--he wasn't getting separation after game 5 or 6. Same will happen this year; you want to win a playoff game; have to have fresh, young WR that can take the pressure off of JJ before and during the playoffs.
4) There are always injuries but training staff was heralded.
5) Continuity and Ingram is in his 2nd year
6) Defense not Kirk's pocket presence was the issue last year after about game 8 thru the playoffs.

Post #: 20
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 5:03:41 PM  1 votes
Bill Jandro

Thank you Toby for getting the site up and running again!!!!

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 21
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 5:07:15 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Cousins maybe a lot of things but at least he shows up to voluntary work outs and does all the right things, We could, and have had, far worse QB's.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 22
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 5:16:49 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Thank you Toby for getting the site up and running again!!!!

Jeez, I see this and feel like a fool for not saying, "thank you" myself. I appreciate your efforts, Toby!

- nice to see the water go down, huh, Bill?
Post #: 23
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 5:20:33 PM   
Todd M

Cousins needs to go win us the next 3 SB's.

When the headline is; First team to threepeat...I will then be - he's ok.
Post #: 24
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 5:29:01 PM   
David F.

quote:

Cousins needs to go win us the next 3 SB's.

When the headline is; First team to threepeat...I will then be - he's ok.

One would be enough - or win an MVP, or even be in consideration for an MVP. These things would be enough to sway me. Win two playoff games in a row would probably do it.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> General Vikes Talk - Archived 3-11-24 Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode