Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 5:29:06 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Thank you Toby for getting the site up and running again!!!!

Jeez, I see this and feel like a fool for not saying, "thank you" myself. I appreciate your efforts, Toby!

- nice to see the water go down, huh, Bill?

Yes it is. Receding rather quickly too!

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 26
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 5:37:20 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

I was not “ fine” with Addison at 23…

With so many huge hole on defense and so much talent out there..

Wasted pick

PeriodT.

The reason I'm ok with it, or at least what I'm telling myself, is instead of trying to fill 1 piece of many needed on D, they put the hammer down on what might make our offense damn near impossible to defend.
Post #: 27
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 5:37:52 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Cousins needs to go win us the next 3 SB's.

When the headline is; First team to threepeat...I will then be - he's ok.

One would be enough - or win an MVP, or even be in consideration for an MVP. These things would be enough to sway me. Win two playoff games in a row would probably do it.

Oh how the standards have fallen..

Late 60’s and 70’s.. winning division was a given lock 90% of the time
Getting to nfccg was fairly common.
Going to 4 different Super Bowl games and LOSING, was soul crushing..

Then the puke hit its QBOTF for 30 straight years..

We backed in, and lost, we got in and won then lost..

We made nfccg three times and choked..

Now winning a playoff game or maybe Two is considered the gold standard, since SB wins are platinum/ diamond level, now..

Sigh…

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 28
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 5:52:30 PM   
Todd M

I'm really liking our potential as a run by committee RB group. For all the homeruns Cook gave us he also killed a number of drives with 0 to 1 yarders. I think we'll be able to control the ball better and convert on more drives.
Post #: 29
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 5:59:24 PM   
Todd M

We had magic last year as a team with a very poor defense. If Flores can get average out of this defense sky's the limit.

No matter what...going 4 straight years without a playoff win with JJ is just not acceptable.
Post #: 30
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 6:01:47 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

After the AP contract fiasco, I came over the fence with brad, about running backs are cheap, easily replaced, and expendable after rookie contracts..

Paying some guy in excess of 3-4 million a year to run, in todays NFL is idiotic.

Matti son, chandler and NWuw are enough at the RB position..

You can take a sixth round flyer on a guy and not bother me in the least.. do it every year..

But those second or (gasp!) 3rd contracts to damaged and worn Runningback is just stupid.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 31
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 6:04:54 PM   
Todd M

KWang is a nothing burger at RB. Use his fresh legs up on ST's and then let him go.

McBride is going to be SOD.
Post #: 32
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 6:30:15 PM   
Bill Jandro

I wasn't thrilled with the Addison pick but he's a polished route runner so the chance he hits looks pretty solid.

I think I would have taken the flyer on Levis.

We're still a 90 pound weakling in the trenches so we simply aren't contenders and won't be until this is addressed more aggressively.

Post #: 33
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 7:01:13 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

After the AP contract fiasco, I came over the fence with brad, about running backs are cheap, easily replaced, and expendable after rookie contracts..

Paying some guy in excess of 3-4 million a year to run, in todays NFL is idiotic.

Matti son, chandler and NWuw are enough at the RB position..

You can take a sixth round flyer on a guy and not bother me in the least.. do it every year..

But those second or (gasp!) 3rd contracts to damaged and worn Runningback is just stupid.

Same Dan. I laughed when the Falcons took a RB 8th overall. So dumb.
Post #: 34
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/4/2023 7:04:42 PM   
David F.

quote:

I'm really liking our potential as a run by committee RB group. For all the homeruns Cook gave us he also killed a number of drives with 0 to 1 yarders. I think we'll be able to control the ball better and convert on more drives.

It's worse than you remember. Cook didn't deliver very many homeruns. In 2022 he totaled all of 5 runs 20 yards or more. That puts him in a tie for 21st place with notables such as Raschad Penny, Kenyon Drake, Latavious Murray and even Lamar Jackson. Nick Chubb led the league with 13. Even Jeff Wilson Jr. had 7.

And yes what really kills us is when he dances and shuffles and gets 1 when we really needed 4 to avoid going 3-and-out.

EDIT - it was Derrick Henry with 13, Chubb had 12. While I'm in here though I'll also add that JAMES COOK had 6.

< Message edited by David F. -- 5/4/2023 7:08:15 PM >

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 35
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/5/2023 6:55:42 AM   
Bill Jandro

When a rb starts making business decisions out on the field it is time to part ways with him.

Young and hungry is better.

Post #: 36
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/5/2023 8:37:19 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

I saw this as a response to Cousin haters in the mailbag section of Vikings.com. I thought it was soooo right on --

I feel like the people in the Cousins' camp built permanent residences, and the people against him will never be enticed to set up a tent with a lake view. I remain intrigued by what a second year in the same system for Cousins will yeild since we've not seen that here.

Always with the hater label.

Makes it impossible to read your posts in good faith.

It seems to me you (and a few otehrs) always look at my posts like I'm posting in anger? Seldom do I ever. What would be a good alternative? I mean do you not read what the people who can't stand Cousins write?

But, thank you for your honesty and I'll never use the phrase again ... I hardly ever write about him anymore 'cause I always get it back in spades in one form or another.

- everythings good here, I'll do better

Its your perogative ofcourse how to respond to the blistering venemous anti-Cousins commentary … which I contribute to.

It was just a side comment / over-reaction really … I use labels … thanks.
Post #: 37
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/5/2023 9:15:13 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

When a rb starts making business decisions out on the field it is time to part ways with him.

Young and hungry is better.

You just nailed it. When I watched games with friends a common comment that could be heard was, "just put a rookie out there that's desperate to make a name for himself and will blast full speed at the hole."

100% Cook was playing like a fella looking for a third contract. I hope this is a scenario that the new regime avoids at all costs.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 38
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/5/2023 9:33:44 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

One would be enough - or win an MVP, or even be in consideration for an MVP. These things would be enough to sway me. Win two playoff games in a row would probably do it.

Now winning a playoff game or maybe Two is considered the gold standard, since SB wins are platinum/ diamond level, now..

Sigh…

First step is fixing the defense or no matter who is QB will matter.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 39
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/5/2023 9:36:07 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

KWang is a nothing burger at RB. Use his fresh legs up on ST's and then let him go.

He is cheap though and also is a KR....you do need depth at RB. Chandler and Mattison do not have the best history for health but we can grab another Asiata if they cut Kene.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 40
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/5/2023 9:39:49 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

He is cheap though and also is a KR....you do need depth at RB. Chandler and Mattison do not have the best history for health but we can grab another Asiata if they cut Kene.

The dude has three kick returns for TDs on just 53 attempts. I think we can find a roster spot for him.

Post #: 41
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/5/2023 10:09:24 AM   
Murph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sigh…

First step is fixing the defense or no matter who is QB will matter.

Yes, the defense and interior oline line is a bit of a mess but that said.

I couldn't disagree more.

We aren't winning a Super Bowl with Cousins, HE HAD TWO SEAONS WITH A TOP 10 DEFNSE ALREADY AND DIDN'T DO SQUAT.

The top end franchise QB is so hard to find that if you think you can get him you go for it, regardless of anything else.

We need a stud QB if we ever want a realistic shot and be able to sustain it. The only one we've ever had was Fran for more than a year or two.

I'd prefer the offense was in a good place so he can build confidence early, when we eventually draft that QB, hopefully next year.

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 42
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/5/2023 12:47:29 PM   
Ricky J

I'm optimistic with our new team. Maybe even excited. I like the draft. And the defense has to be better if for no other reason than the coaching change at DC. The OL has to be better without changes - and hey, we got ourselves a blocking TE, so there's that! ;)

I was shocked at the #1 pick, but it didn't take me long to like it.

- It's May, I'm gonna go with, I feel good a 'bout things. I like that feeling better than the alternative.

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 5/5/2023 12:51:12 PM >
Post #: 43
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/5/2023 1:04:46 PM   
Jeff Jesser

And the defense has to be better

Not just the coaching either, IMO. That'll play a big part of it but we also shed a lot of slow guys and have injected a lot of speed and flexibility. I listened to a podcast the other day that broke it all down and has me excited. Of course, it's unproven, but that's got Flores' hands all over it. Young, speedy guys that can play multiple positions. Not much is static.

Where we may get killed though is right up the gut. Not a lot of beef to protect those speedy guys.
Post #: 44
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/5/2023 2:05:03 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Or pull Scottie Graham Jr out of the grocery store

Post #: 45
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/5/2023 2:48:01 PM   
marty

I think the Vikings could be a Super Bowl contender, even with Cousins.

Flores can get the defense to around 17, should we get the Cousins that played in Buffalo to appear in a playoff game, they could take the NFC.

Philly, Dallas, SF and maybe Seattle are the competition, and they're all beatable. Rodgers and Brady are gone from the NFC, making it a tad easier to win the NFC.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 46
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/5/2023 3:01:37 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I think the Vikings could be a Super Bowl contender, even with Cousins.

Flores can get the defense to around 17, should we get the Cousins that played in Buffalo to appear in a playoff game, they could take the NFC.

Philly, Dallas, SF and maybe Seattle are the competition, and they're all beatable. Rodgers and Brady are gone from the NFC, making it a tad easier to win the NFC.

The one that threw a TD pass on the first drive of the game and disappeared for the rest of the game? 30-50 for 357 yards 1TD 2INTs and fumbled twice on 12 full drives?

Our drives went:

TD
Punt
INT
FG
Downs (4 plays 9 yards)
Punt
INT
Punt
TD (1 play Cook runs for 81T)
TD
Downs (1st and goal at BUF 3: Cousins slips and loses 3. 2nd and goal at BUF 6: Cousins pass incomplete short right to Jefferson. 3rd and goal at BUF 6: Cousins pass short middle to Jefferson for 5. 4th and goal at BUF 1: Cousins pass incomplete short right to Cook PENALTY on BUF no play. 4th and goal at the BUF 1: Cousins up the middle for no gain).
FG

< Message edited by David F. -- 5/5/2023 3:02:51 PM >

Post #: 47
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/5/2023 3:17:16 PM   
Ricky J

... should we get the Cousins that played in a lot of those 4th quarters ...
Post #: 48
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/5/2023 3:46:29 PM   
David F.

quote:

... should we get the Cousins that played in a lot of those 4th quarters ...

This one?

1st & 10 at NYG 25
(15:00 - 4th) K.Cousins pass short left to D.Cook to NYG 28 for -3 yards (D.Holmes, R.Anderson).

2nd & 13 at NYG 28
(14:16 - 4th) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass short middle to D.Cook to NYG 24 for 4 yards (L.Williams).

3rd & 9 at NYG 24
(13:29 - 4th) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass short middle to T.Hockenson to NYG 16 for 8 yards (T.Jefferson, X.McKinney).

4th & 1 at NYG 16
(12:41 - 4th) (Run formation) B.Brandel reported in as eligible. PENALTY on MIN-C.Darrisaw, False Start, 4 yards, enforced at NYG 16 - No Play.
4th & 5 at NYG 20

(12:34 - 4th) G.Joseph 38 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-A.DePaola, Holder-R.Wright.

(7:47 - 4th) G.Gano kicks 65 yards from NYG 35 to MIN 0. K.Nwangwu MUFFS catch, and recovers at MIN -1. K.Nwangwu to MIN 23 for 24 yards (J.Pinnock, M.Johnson). NYG-J.Pinnock was injured during the play.

1st & 10 at MIN 23
(7:42 - 4th) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass short left to D.Cook to MIN 19 for -4 yards (D.Holmes).

2nd & 14 at MIN 19
(7:15 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Cousins pass short right to T.Hockenson to MIN 22 for 3 yards (K.Thibodeaux, T.Jefferson).

3rd & 11 at MIN 22
(6:28 - 4th) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass incomplete short right to D.Cook (L.Williams).

4th & 11 at MIN 22
(6:23 - 4th) R.Wright punts 61 yards to NYG 17, Center-A.DePaola. R.James to NYG 24 for 7 yards (K.Nwangwu).

1st & 10 at MIN 12
(2:56 - 4th) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass short right to T.Hockenson to MIN 18 for 6 yards (D.Belton).

2nd & 4 at MIN 18
(2:33 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Cousins pass incomplete short left to K.Osborn. PENALTY on NYG-D.Lawrence, Roughing the Passer, 15 yards, enforced at MIN
18 - No Play.

1st & 10 at MIN 33
(2:30 - 4th) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass short middle to T.Hockenson to MIN 46 for 13 yards (D.Holmes; J.Love).

1st & 10 at MIN 46
(2:09 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) K.Cousins pass incomplete deep right to A.Thielen.

2nd & 10 at MIN 46
(2:03 - 4th) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass short right to D.Cook pushed ob at MIN 48 for 2 yards (D.Belton) [D.Lawrence].

(1:56 - 4th) Two-Minute Warning
3rd & 8 at MIN 48
(1:56 - 4th) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass incomplete short left to K.Osborn (C.Flott).

4th & 8 at MIN 48
(1:44 - 4th) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass short right to T.Hockenson to NYG 49 for 3 yards (X.McKinney).

Post #: 49
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/5/2023 6:07:07 PM   
marty

Sometimes stats can be a little, what is the opposite of misleading?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode