Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  304 305 [306] 307 308   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2024 10:32:19 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

I’d hire away their OL coach in a heart beat..

Goff had all day.. to have his receivers miss catches, and running in third and 8 and getting 10 + yards?

All day every day..

But a lateral move wouldn’t happen..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 7626
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2024 10:33:06 AM   
Lars

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

Detroit went into the 2nd half up 17 points and had (I believe) 133 rushing yards in the first half. They chose to run the ball eight times in the second half. Count them - eight attempts. Dan "emotional gamble" Campbell lost them that game.

Here’s the thing with Campbell’s oft discussed aggressive 4th down approach. First, yes I believe he’s absolutely right, in general teams should go for it on 4th down far more often than they do. I’m sure you could find statistical analysis to back that up if you were less lazy than I am. I admire him for being unconventional and not doing things a certain way because that’s always how it’s been done.

BUT, you can’t just look at numbers overall, you have to look at the entire game situation. And each one is different. Campbell erred in this game.

If they successfully attempt the FG on the first situation where they went for it and didn't make it, they go up by 17 points (three scores). This might have been enough to deflate the Niners hopes. Instead the Niners got handed momentum and they ran with it.

EDIT - To put it more clearly - the Lions would have been up 17 with just seven minutes left in the third quarter. That's a damn dagger.

Exactly. They would have chewed 8+ minutes off the 3rd quarter clock and rebuilt their 17 point, three score lead. I called it dumb at the time, and it seems even worse today.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 7627
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2024 10:34:33 AM   
Lars

Purdy got away with a few Mullens-Dobbs-esque throws yesterday...

<this space for rent>
Post #: 7628
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2024 10:48:33 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lars

quote:

quote:

quote:

Detroit went into the 2nd half up 17 points and had (I believe) 133 rushing yards in the first half. They chose to run the ball eight times in the second half. Count them - eight attempts. Dan "emotional gamble" Campbell lost them that game.

Here’s the thing with Campbell’s oft discussed aggressive 4th down approach. First, yes I believe he’s absolutely right, in general teams should go for it on 4th down far more often than they do. I’m sure you could find statistical analysis to back that up if you were less lazy than I am. I admire him for being unconventional and not doing things a certain way because that’s always how it’s been done.

BUT, you can’t just look at numbers overall, you have to look at the entire game situation. And each one is different. Campbell erred in this game.

If they successfully attempt the FG on the first situation where they went for it and didn't make it, they go up by 17 points (three scores). This might have been enough to deflate the Niners hopes. Instead the Niners got handed momentum and they ran with it.

EDIT - To put it more clearly - the Lions would have been up 17 with just seven minutes left in the third quarter. That's a damn dagger.

Exactly. They would have chewed 8+ minutes off the 3rd quarter clock and rebuilt their 17 point, three score lead. I called it dumb at the time, and it seems even worse today.

Other call: Tough decision going for it on 4th and not going for the tie. But if they make a 1st, sustain a drive and score, that would of put KC in a tough position. Make the 3, KC chews up a lot of clock and scores, now Det is in a tough position - maybe not as tough as going down 10 ... who knows?
Post #: 7629
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2024 1:55:35 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Other call: Tough decision going for it on 4th and not going for the tie. But if they make a 1st, sustain a drive and score, that would of put KC in a tough position. Make the 3, KC chews up a lot of clock and scores, now Det is in a tough position - maybe not as tough as going down 10 ... who knows?

There was a lot of time left. I doubt they're bleeding 7 minutes from the 30. The other stupid call was running it at the end and having to burn a timeout effectively ending any chance to win.
Post #: 7630
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2024 1:57:49 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

I was thinking yesterday that if the Lions even make it to a Super Bowl before I've seen my Vikings in one that it may be time to call it. It was a strange feeling.
Post #: 7631
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2024 2:39:09 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

There was a lot of time left. I doubt they're bleeding 7 minutes from the 30. The other stupid call was running it at the end and having to burn a timeout effectively ending any chance to win.

Why didn't they have 2 plays called? 3rd and 4th down, if needed. That was suicide by Johnson. The Lions had a lot of heart and talent but they looked like they haven't played a playoff game in decades.
Post #: 7632
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2024 2:39:39 PM   
Todd M

According to KFAN, Kirk Cousins wants a 2 year contract for $90 million, full guarantee..

Please let that be true. Cause there ain’t no way…
Post #: 7633
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2024 3:45:21 PM   
Lars

See ya, Kirk!!

<this space for rent>
Post #: 7634
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2024 3:58:22 PM   
Ricky J

That's the discount he was talking about? Hard to believe.
Post #: 7635
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2024 4:03:35 PM   
Murph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

According to KFAN, Kirk Cousins wants a 2 year contract for $90 million, full guarantee..

Doesn't surprise me. He's all about money, zero about winning.

Horrible leader that wilts under pressure. Can't wait to see him go!!

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 7636
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2024 4:09:55 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

quote:

Doesn't surprise me. He's all about money, zero about winning.

Horrible leader that wilts under pressure. Can't wait to see him go!!

Surprised me so I cruised their site. Didn't see anything about Kirk.
Post #: 7637
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2024 4:13:46 PM   
David Levine

quote:

I'm not surprised. Isn't the first time we've seen that number thrown around. Peter King from last week:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

“There’s two great quarterback mysteries in this offseason in the NFL,” NBC Sports’ Peter King said on “The Cook & Joe Show” on January 23. “One is Kirk Cousins. Because he will not go back to Minnesota on a one-year contract."

“A lot of people are going to say, ‘Wow, he’s going to be 36 [years old] next year, coming off a torn Achilles. Do we want to commit to him for two years,’” King said. “I would if I were a team. But we’re also talking two years, $90 million, which is excessive. But it’s also the market. So I’m not saying it’s a bad deal or a bad idea.”

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/nfl_insider_drops_bombshell_report_on_vikings_kirk_cousins/s1_17150_39861792

< Message edited by David Levine -- 1/29/2024 4:31:45 PM >
Post #: 7638
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2024 4:16:13 PM   
Karl Juhnke

That’s the going rate. There are 10-15 qbs who will make more than that next year. I’d be surprised if he asked for less. Why should he? Somebody will pay it.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 1/29/2024 4:19:10 PM >
Post #: 7639
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2024 4:39:09 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Not a chance.. going rate for mediocre?

GFYS, KFC..
90 million?

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 7640
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2024 4:47:31 PM   
Ricky J

Why would he? Stay where he's at?

I'm doing OK for a midwest rural boy but id like to raise a $100,000 for a camper/van. I can't fathom what id do with another 90 million (less taxes and the cost of putting food on the table)
Post #: 7641
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2024 5:22:26 PM   
Phil Riewer

TJ was supposed to have surgery in his knee today. Rumor is it is delayed due to still too much swelling.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 7642
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2024 5:34:30 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

I’d hire away their OL coach in a heart beat..

Goff had all day.. to have his receivers miss catches, and running in third and 8 and getting 10 + yards?

All day every day..

But a lateral move wouldn’t happen..

Three 1st round picks help there.
Post #: 7643
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2024 5:40:41 PM   
Bill Johanesen

It's no wonder KFC never said "Yes" when asked about a home town discount:

"(That's a question) I’ve thought about pretty much my whole 12 years," Cousins said during locker clean out day on Monday. "I do think it’s important to be aware of. I think God has blessed me financially beyond my wildest dreams, so at this stage in my career, the dollars are really not what it’s about.
Post #: 7644
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2024 5:43:40 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Reports were last year that he was willing to give us a hometown discount of $37.5 mil/year instead of $40 mil/year, but he wanted all three years guaranteed, and Kwesi was only willing to guarantee two.
Post #: 7645
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2024 5:51:51 PM   
Bill Johanesen

One thing the two conference championship games showed is experience counts. And being a team 'in the hunt' during week 15 doesn't count.

Kwesi has done nothing. I'd be more comfortable if the team picked off a composite mock based on 40 mocks.

Or just have AI make the picks.
Post #: 7646
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2024 6:09:55 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

GFYS, KFC..
90 million?

I'm not saying the amount is a statement of his worth. I'm saying that's the current QB market. Check 2024 QB salaries.
Post #: 7647
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2024 6:15:51 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Reports were last year that he was willing to give us a hometown discount of $37.5 mil/year instead of $40 mil/year, but he wanted all three years guaranteed, and Kwesi was only willing to guarantee two.

Thiose numbers make sense. There is some expense and hassle to moving to a new team and city vs staying put. But any 'hometown discount' more than 5-10% makes no sense. It's an insult to the player to ask him to take more discount and there's no reason he should do it.
Post #: 7648
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2024 6:19:29 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

TJ was supposed to have surgery in his knee today. Rumor is it is delayed due to still too much swelling.

Updated 20 minutes ago:

Minnesota Vikings@Vikings
#Vikings TE T.J. Hockenson underwent successful surgery to repair his torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) today.
Post #: 7649
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2024 6:37:55 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

GFYS, KFC..
90 million?

I'm not saying the amount is a statement of his worth. I'm saying that's the current QB market. Check 2024 QB salaries.

There are different numbers to compare … cap hit / salary / guaranteed money …

maybe someone with more skill - knowledge can correct me …

but if Cousins is getting paid in the 4-7 range of QBs over the last couple of years, its simply not commensurate with his results, with his age, with our situation.

The ‘going rate’ only works if you can afford it … we can’t - the market value doesn’t matter. Or shouldn’t.
Post #: 7650
Page:   <<   < prev  304 305 [306] 307 308   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  304 305 [306] 307 308   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode