Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  336 337 [338] 339 340   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/8/2024 6:43:52 PM   
Tom Sykes

Star Tribune Sports@StribSports
·1h
The #Vikings announced Friday they agreed to terms on a new deal with tight end Johnny Mundt, who was set to hit free agency next week after two seasons with the team.

.... We got him. now the highest paid #4 TE in the league.
Post #: 8426
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/8/2024 6:46:20 PM   
Tom Sykes

I thought we signed him 3 days ago but the complex structure of the negotiation took longer than expected.
Post #: 8427
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/9/2024 7:39:03 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

I thought we signed him 3 days ago but the complex structure of the negotiation took longer than expected.

I think that was Muse.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 8428
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/9/2024 8:00:09 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

I think that was Muse.

You’re right ofcourse.

But the smarm still holds.
Post #: 8429
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/9/2024 11:48:34 AM   
David Levine

Russell Wilson is now available for 1.2M.

Not a guy I want, but a better bridge for a year than Cousins...
Post #: 8430
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/9/2024 1:45:51 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

It would seem a no brainer, but Quesy likes to be the smartest man in football. So…

I doubt we even bring him in for a look..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 8431
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/9/2024 5:09:59 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Muse with a nice 13% pay raise... which basically reflects the league wide cap increase.

Our current effective (projected after signing the rookies) cap surplus sits at around $32 million. The league wide cap increase was around $31 million. So basically every dollar we currently have to spend is courtesy of the 13.6% salary cap increase. An increase which in turn will theoretically be baked into every new contract, just like with Muse.

Those increases will even out for all teams over the years. But looking at just this year, it's a terrible time to have 20 open roster positions. Raises for everyone! Some say we'll just create more cap by cutting more players. Nevermind that means their replacements will also get 13.6% pay raises! Although Harrison Smith will still be a net gain.

And just ignore the $50+ million in dead cap.

Incredibly, we will buy more talent with less available cap because "It's all covered".

Kwesi can start those splash signings in a couple of days. You know, those frenzied few days when teams overpay for top tier talent.

It's exciting!

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 3/9/2024 5:12:09 PM >
Post #: 8432
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/9/2024 6:17:20 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Muse with a nice 13% pay raise... which basically reflects the league wide cap increase.

Our current effective (projected after signing the rookies) cap surplus sits at around $32 million. The league wide cap increase was around $31 million. So basically every dollar we currently have to spend is courtesy of the 13.6% salary cap increase. An increase which in turn will theoretically be baked into every new contract, just like with Muse.

Those increases will even out for all teams over the years. But looking at just this year, it's a terrible time to have 20 open roster positions. Raises for everyone! Some say we'll just create more cap by cutting more players. Nevermind that means their replacements will also get 13.6% pay raises! Although Harrison Smith will still be a net gain.

Incredibly, we will buy more talent with less available cap because "It's all covered".

Kwesi can start those splash signings in a couple of days. You know, those frenzied few days when teams overpay for top tier talent.

It's exciting!

You're starting to come around. 6-7 pages back you had us 15M over and an imminent fire sale.
Post #: 8433
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/9/2024 8:07:07 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

It's exciting!

You're starting to come around. 6-7 pages back you had us 15M over and an imminent fire sale.

Just knowing agents for the top FAs are flying in tomorrow to be ready for the legal tampering period is enough. But that coupled with Kwesi's elaborate strategy... the only question is how early we lock up HFA for our SB run.
Post #: 8434
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/10/2024 8:39:45 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

You… are .. asking ?Phil? .. to do statistical probability?

How long have you been a Vikings fan? QB has been our problem more years than not due to injuries, poor planning, poor drafting, or just poor luck. Who needs statistics?

The best thing they have to offer is 3 very good receiving targets. QBs like Williams want to throw to TJAddison and JJ. Mullens can throw for 400 yards with this bunch.

Get two capable QBs this off season.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 8435
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/10/2024 9:05:11 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

Mullet sucks.

That wasn’t the question, Phil

Captain obvious wants his hat back.

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 8436
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/10/2024 12:18:02 PM   
David Levine

Where will Cousins sign?

Graziano:
If you're already picturing Kirk Cousins in a Falcons uniform, you might be jumping the gun. As of the end of this week, Cousins and the Vikings were still talking, and while Minnesota hasn't gotten its offer to the point Cousins wants it, I get the sense the Vikings are still very much in this thing. Cousins likes it there. His family likes it there. He's playing for an outstanding playcaller in Kevin O'Connell and throwing to one of the best receivers in the league in Justin Jefferson. The fans like him. There's no question it's his team. He could absolutely leave if he doesn't get what he wants in a contract, and Atlanta lurks as a possible -- even likely -- destination if that happens. But until the league year opens, the Vikings still have a shot to keep him off the market.

Fowler: The Vikings are still in the game for Cousins. One team source said, "We're not out of it," while another told me it feels like a 50-50 proposition. Atlanta has remained a major threat, and that hasn't changed. He is believed to be the Falcons' No. 1 target, with owner Arthur Blank motivated to solve Atlanta's quarterback issues. The sense is Minnesota wants to re-sign Cousins but will have its limits after paying him $185 million over the past six years. And the Vikings have considered the possibilities should Cousins leave and could use both free agency and the draft to fill the void.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/39691968/2024-nfl-free-agency-latest-buzz-news-rumors-signings-contracts-trades
Post #: 8437
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/10/2024 12:47:49 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Is he actually available for 1.2 Million? I know he's getting 39 Million from Denver, but does what he signs for get deducted from that so he may as well take the 1.2 or if he signs for 5Million does he get 44 Million total for the season?
I did a Google search and found this.

One caveat to that $39 million for next season is any new contract signed by Wilson would be offset against that figure the Broncos owe Wilson. This means that whatever team Wilson ends up with next will likely only pay him the veteran's league minimum, and the Broncos will be on the hook for the rest. The veteran's minimum for someone with as many years of experience in the NFL as Wilson would be roughly $1.2 million, per ProFootballTalk.

If I'm understanding that correctly it is in Wilson's best interest to sign for 1.2 Million and not one penny more.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 3/10/2024 12:57:18 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 8438
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/10/2024 1:03:05 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

Where will Cousins sign?

Graziano:
If you're already picturing Kirk Cousins in a Falcons uniform, you might be jumping the gun. As of the end of this week, Cousins and the Vikings were still talking, and while Minnesota hasn't gotten its offer to the point Cousins wants it, I get the sense the Vikings are still very much in this thing. Cousins likes it there. His family likes it there. He's playing for an outstanding playcaller in Kevin O'Connell and throwing to one of the best receivers in the league in Justin Jefferson. The fans like him. There's no question it's his team. He could absolutely leave if he doesn't get what he wants in a contract, and Atlanta lurks as a possible -- even likely -- destination if that happens. But until the league year opens, the Vikings still have a shot to keep him off the market.

Fowler: The Vikings are still in the game for Cousins. One team source said, "We're not out of it," while another told me it feels like a 50-50 proposition. Atlanta has remained a major threat, and that hasn't changed. He is believed to be the Falcons' No. 1 target, with owner Arthur Blank motivated to solve Atlanta's quarterback issues. The sense is Minnesota wants to re-sign Cousins but will have its limits after paying him $185 million over the past six years. And the Vikings have considered the possibilities should Cousins leave and could use both free agency and the draft to fill the void.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/39691968/2024-nfl-free-agency-latest-buzz-news-rumors-signings-contracts-trades

probably the only time I’d pull for Atlanta to get anything..

Let them have the albatross..
What 185 + 28 million in dead cap?

For what?

Gooooooood riddance..

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 8439
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/10/2024 3:07:21 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

Not my first choice either, but he makes sense for the Vikings for a year. I'm not put off by his decline in Denver. Different system, different targets, different coaches here.
Post #: 8440
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/10/2024 4:04:02 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

Not my first choice either, but he makes sense for the Vikings for a year. I'm not put off by his decline in Denver. Different system, different targets, different coaches here.

Not sure that one is a positive...

Payton may be a total asshat that shouldn't be allowed in the league, but he's a really good offensive coach.
Post #: 8441
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/10/2024 4:12:41 PM   
David Levine

Mayfield off the table for Atlanta.

Baker Mayfield’s deal with the Buccaneers:

2024: $30 million
2025: $30 million, including $20 million guaranteed
2026: $40 million

$5 million per year in incentives

$100 million total, with incentives a max value of $115 million.
Post #: 8442
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/10/2024 4:23:50 PM   
David Levine

Dianna Russini@DMRussini
The Vikings are expecting to hear from Kirk Cousins tonight on his decision to explore free agency, sources tell me and @alec_lewis
Of note: His contract does not void until Wednesday so the team will have until then to extend him before his dead cap hit officially hits the books for ‘24
Post #: 8443
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/10/2024 4:24:20 PM   
David Levine

Dianna Russini, the senior NFL insider at The Athletic, is reporting that the Vikings are expecting to hear from Cousins tonight regarding his decision about whether or not he’ll be testing the free agent market this offseason. This comes one day ahead of the NFL’s “legal tampering” period, which begins on Monday at 11:00 AM Central time, and three days before the start of the new league year at 3:00 PM Central on Wednesday.

As we’ve mentioned numerous times in this space, if the Vikings want to avoid the $28.5 million dead salary cap hit that will result if Cousins hits free agency, they will have to have a deal worked out before the start of the new league year. If they do not, the odds of the Vikings bringing Cousins back would be just about zero since they likely wouldn’t want to pay that dead money hit and a salary on top of it.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2024/3/10/24096388/minnesota-vikings-hear-from-kirk-cousins-tonight-free-agency
Post #: 8444
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/10/2024 4:34:06 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Dianna Russini, the senior NFL insider at The Athletic, is reporting that the Vikings are expecting to hear from Cousins tonight regarding his decision about whether or not he’ll be testing the free agent market this offseason. This comes one day ahead of the NFL’s “legal tampering” period, which begins on Monday at 11:00 AM Central time, and three days before the start of the new league year at 3:00 PM Central on Wednesday.

As we’ve mentioned numerous times in this space, if the Vikings want to avoid the $28.5 million dead salary cap hit that will result if Cousins hits free agency, they will have to have a deal worked out before the start of the new league year. If they do not, the odds of the Vikings bringing Cousins back would be just about zero since they likely wouldn’t want to pay that dead money hit and a salary on top of it.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2024/3/10/24096388/minnesota-vikings-hear-from-kirk-cousins-tonight-free-agency

quote:

I'm guessing the dead cap hit doesn't just disappear. It probably gets divided out for the length of the new contract. Is that right?
Post #: 8445
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/10/2024 5:14:34 PM   
Todd M

I hate the thought of us really really trying to get Cousins under contract at the 11th hour.

Like they’ll either salvage a situation they could have let go or be saved from it but not for trying.
Post #: 8446
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/10/2024 5:54:23 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

I'm guessing the dead cap hit doesn't just disappear. It probably gets divided out for the length of the new contract. Is that right?

i think we can just work it into the next agreement - maybe even add to it to lower the cap hit of his on years - kick it all down the road 'till after he finally leaves...we'll be paying off cousins' cap hit into the next century....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 8447
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/10/2024 6:03:26 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

What?

Make an offer you dolts. Or refuse to make an offer you dolts.

Don't just wait for Cousins to sign off on an exclusive negotiation.

You have other options, show some balls for once and act like it.

"This is our offer, yes or no?"

Everybody else starts the league year on March 13. We start as soon as Cousins accepts or rejects our offer.

Pathetic.
Post #: 8448
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/10/2024 6:07:23 PM  1 votes
Murph

quote:

quote:

What?

Make an offer you dolts. Or refuse to make an offer you dolts.

Don't just wait for Cousins to sign off on an exclusive negotiation.

You have other options, show some balls for once and act like it.

"This is our offer, yes or no?"

Everybody else starts the league year on March 13. We start as soon as Cousins accepts or rejects our offer.

Pathetic.

This front office is WEAK!

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 8449
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/10/2024 6:14:34 PM   
ratoppenheimer

'1 Low-Budget Free Agent for Each Vikings Need'...vikingsterritory

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/top_news/1-low-budget-free-agent-for-each-vikings-need

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 8450
Page:   <<   < prev  336 337 [338] 339 340   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  336 337 [338] 339 340   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode