Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season Page: <<   < prev  17 18 19 [20] 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/8/2024 10:05:41 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Trade Gus? Fleury won't be playing much longer and Gus is the goalie of our future. We keep trading away our up and coming goalies -but at some point we need to stick with, and continue to develop, the one we've got.

Jasper is the goalie of the future and near future if we trade Gus...he is the one we develop just a year earlier.

Yeap. JW is the guy. Theory out there is Fleury will play one more year and he has flat out stated "it's MN or retirement". As much as I've railed on him being a Wild player, there are a lot of guys that would be a worse mentor to JW.

The problem with Gus is he's not as talented as JW and he crapped away his trade value in the middle of the season with his slump. If it were his first one, maybe...but he has a history of going in to them. Obviously we can't carry 3 in to next season so you have to "get what you can for him". Sucks though as he might have fetched a 1st rounder before the slump.

Rumor Mill by Judd said Gus isn't quite into the Fitness/Diet regimen the Wild would like him on (last offseason). Gus became just another goalie this year versus what they thought they had the year before.

The biggest Wild problem is that they need to get bigger at the Blue Line....maybe a Gus trade can help that?

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/8/2024 10:07:36 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 476
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/8/2024 11:08:46 AM   
Jeff Jesser

I hadn't heard that but it's interesting. You would think just watching Fleury go about his business you would learn a lot about that kind of stuff. Say what you will about MAF, dude has been incredibly durable his whole career. There is no way he isn't extremely rigid with his diet and fitness.

It's why I think it would be great, even though I've been extremely down on his time in MN, that he stick around 1 more year as the combo with JW. Perfect mentor.
Post #: 477
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/8/2024 4:09:29 PM   
stfrank

quote:

I hadn't heard that but it's interesting. You would think just watching Fleury go about his business you would learn a lot about that kind of stuff. Say what you will about MAF, dude has been incredibly durable his whole career. There is no way he isn't extremely rigid with his diet and fitness.

It's why I think it would be great, even though I've been extremely down on his time in MN, that he stick around 1 more year as the combo with JW. Perfect mentor.

I agree.
I think MAF is a great mentor for JW even though he isn't the goalie he once was. If we go with MAF and JW next year and miss out on the playoffs one more time before the CAP penalties are done it can only help our prospect cupboard. Adding a couple more top end draft picks and getting a full CAP to work with for a change could make the future bright. And let's face it, with all of our 30-something bottom 6 players for at least a couple of years we aren't looking to go far next year anyways.....
Post #: 478
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/8/2024 5:27:23 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Yeap. Short team bottoming out (while keeping guys like KK engaged and wanting to stay) is the best thing for the franchise. I have always said. The worst thing this franchise did was hire JL as it's inaugural coach. Dude was too good and we weren't in building mode with our draft picks long enough. We vaulted in to a mid level team right away and have never gotten out of that mode.
Post #: 479
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/10/2024 10:46:01 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Well, it's been clear since about December but it's official now. What a dissapointing (but not surprising season). We have a few possible pieces and a few absolutes.

For sures:

KK
Faber
Brodin
JEE
Rossi
Middleton (some would argue this one but he's pretty steady but not spectacular)

Possibles:

Boldy (dude plays hard most nights but his lack of end product, for what he's paid, means he's movable to me. Another Coyle-esque type guy. I also am fine to keep him another year but I need to see more before I deem him untouchable)
JW (small sample size but he played pretty well in limited action)
MAF (as a mentor role but this also means, if you agree, that you understand next year is a learning/throw away year)
Khusnutdinov (underwhelming but understandable given his circumstances. Want to see more)
Bogosian (played pretty well IMO)

I know some of the other guys have no trades/no moves ect but there isn't a single guy not named above that I 'want' to see back. Guys like Shaw are a good story but a dime a dozen in this league. Outside of the Parise/Suter buyouts I'm very underwhelmed by Billy G's tenure so far.
Post #: 480
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/10/2024 11:36:58 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Well, it's been clear since about December but it's official now. What a dissapointing (but not surprising season). We have a few possible pieces and a few absolutes.

For sures:

KK
Faber
Brodin
JEE
Rossi
Middleton (some would argue this one but he's pretty steady but not spectacular)

Possibles:

Boldy (dude plays hard most nights but his lack of end product, for what he's paid, means he's movable to me. Another Coyle-esque type guy. I also am fine to keep him another year but I need to see more before I deem him untouchable)
MAF (as a mentor role but this also means, if you agree, that you understand next year is a learning/throw away year)
Khusnutdinov (underwhelming but understandable given his circumstances. Want to see more)

I know some of the other guys have no trades/no moves ect but there isn't a single guy not named above that I 'want' to see back. Guys like Shaw are a good story but a dime a dozen in this league. Outside of the Parise/Suter buyouts I'm very underwhelmed by Billy G's tenure so far.

I think trading Gus, MaJo, Gudreau and one of Brodin/Spergeon is the key to the offseason.
I would be comfy adding Chisolm to your Possibly group also.

Post #: 481
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/10/2024 12:16:05 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Chisolm had some decent moments but also had some big time brain farts. A lot to prove but hopefully he pans out. He has talent for sure.
Post #: 482
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/10/2024 3:34:39 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Chisolm had some decent moments but also had some big time brain farts. A lot to prove but hopefully he pans out. He has talent for sure.

You give him the PT to find out these last 4....same with Khusnutdinov.

Post #: 483
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/10/2024 4:25:34 PM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

For sures:

KK
Faber
Brodin
JEE
Rossi

Possibles:

I think trading Gus, MaJo, Gudreau and one of Brodin/Spergeon is the key to the offseason.
I would be comfy adding Chisolm to your Possibly group also.

All of those guys other than Brodin will be gone after next season and none of them have much in the way of trade value currently.
I suspect we ride it out with all of them unless someone comes asking about Gus this summer. I think we will end up seeing pretty much the same team next year that we have now and the big change will come in 25-26. My hope is they can add some high end talent with size by then so we can actually compete.
Post #: 484
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/10/2024 9:03:01 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Yup, this was for next year only. Should have mentioned that
Post #: 485
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/12/2024 7:16:14 AM   
TJSweens

2022 1st round pick Liam Ohgren makes his NHL debut tonight.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 486
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/12/2024 8:23:49 AM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

From The Athletic:
Ohgren to make NHL debut
After a three-game stint in Iowa after his Farjestad career came to an unexpected end despite championship aspirations, Liam Ohgren got the call to head to Las Vegas for the first time in his life for his NHL debut on Friday.

He skated on a line with Marat Khusnutdinov and Vinni Lettieri in Thursday’s practice, but Friday’s lineup is uncertain because Mats Zuccarello and Freddy Gaudreau were back in the Twin Cities for family reasons. Hynes said it wasn’t yet known if one or both would fly to Las Vegas on Friday to rejoin the team.

Maybe get a little peak at the future these last few games.....
Post #: 487
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/12/2024 9:20:56 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

quote:

From The Athletic:
Ohgren to make NHL debut
After a three-game stint in Iowa after his Farjestad career came to an unexpected end despite championship aspirations, Liam Ohgren got the call to head to Las Vegas for the first time in his life for his NHL debut on Friday.

He skated on a line with Marat Khusnutdinov and Vinni Lettieri in Thursday’s practice, but Friday’s lineup is uncertain because Mats Zuccarello and Freddy Gaudreau were back in the Twin Cities for family reasons. Hynes said it wasn’t yet known if one or both would fly to Las Vegas on Friday to rejoin the team.

Maybe get a little peak at the future these last few games.....

Tell Mats and Fred to stay home...lol

Post #: 488
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/17/2024 4:42:32 PM   
Phil Riewer

Reasonable to think Gus will be on the block now.

Michael Russo
@RussoHockey
·
4h
#mnwild re-sign Marc-Andre Fleury to 1-year deal: What this means for him going forward

By
@JoeSmithNHL
and me

Post #: 489
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/17/2024 7:58:29 PM   
TJSweens

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 490
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/17/2024 11:26:48 PM   
Jeff Jesser

JMO, but it's the right move for this team. Last year was that emoji. We have moved on from Gus and this is another throwaway year. Next year we have the cap stuff straightened out and, hopefully, a solid GT #1. Not a better tutor than MAF for a young goalie, IMO.

I'm starting think BG is getting it and realizing that the thing needed to be torn down while we get out the Suter/Parise cap hell.
Post #: 491
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/18/2024 7:05:53 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

JMO, but it's the right move for this team. Last year was that emoji. We have moved on from Gus and this is another throwaway year. Next year we have the cap stuff straightened out and, hopefully, a solid GT #1. Not a better tutor than MAF for a young goalie, IMO.

I'm starting think BG is getting it and realizing that the thing needed to be torn down while we get out the Suter/Parise cap hell.

I'm not sure I agree with Dandelion being a great tutor. Even at his peak, he was fairly undisciplined and gave up a ton of rebounds. He compensated with freakish reflexes and athletic ability. I don't know that I see him as someone you tell a prospect to watch and emulate.

Post #: 492
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/18/2024 7:43:04 AM   
stfrank

quote:

quote:

I'm not sure I agree with Dandelion being a great tutor. Even at his peak, he was fairly undisciplined and gave up a ton of rebounds. He compensated with freakish reflexes and athletic ability. I don't know that I see him as someone you tell a prospect to watch and emulate.

You can't emulate his skill and speed, but you can emulate his work and practice habits, which by all accounts are top notch.

< Message edited by stfrank -- 4/18/2024 7:47:48 AM >
Post #: 493
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/18/2024 9:05:15 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

You can't emulate his skill and speed, but you can emulate his work and practice habits, which by all accounts are top notch.

I'll give you that. I just think he is not a good example of the technical aspects of goal tending.

Post #: 494
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/18/2024 6:07:31 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Jeez this team gets no respect. ESPN put out a list of top 50 players in the league (this year, not for a few years now). KK didn't even make the "honorable mentions" and yet Joe Pavelski and his whopping 67 points did
Post #: 495
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/19/2024 7:45:47 AM   
stfrank

quote:

Jeez this team gets no respect. ESPN put out a list of top 50 players in the league (this year, not for a few years now). KK didn't even make the "honorable mentions" and yet Joe Pavelski and his whopping 67 points did

Pavelski? Are you sure it wasn't a lifetime achievement award or something? I wouldn't put him in my top 50 even at his prime....
Post #: 496
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/19/2024 9:19:36 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

Pavelski? Are you sure it wasn't a lifetime achievement award or something? I wouldn't put him in my top 50 even at his prime....

He's Canadian. Everyone who "knows anything about the game" knows that this gives you an extra 200% in your actual ability.
Post #: 497
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/19/2024 2:52:53 PM   
stfrank

quote:

quote:

quote:

He's Canadian. Everyone who "knows anything about the game" knows that this gives you an extra 200% in your actual ability.

He's not Canadian, its worse! He's a cheesehead born and raised...
Post #: 498
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/19/2024 6:19:46 PM   
stfrank

Some exit day notes from Russo and Smith:

ST. PAUL, Minn. — Filip Gustavsson wasn’t born yesterday.

Marc-Andre Fleury signed a one-year extension with the Minnesota Wild this week, “goalie of the future” Jesper Wallstedt won both of his starts in the final six games of the season, and there’s a good chance the Wild don’t see the value of the first-round pick spending another year in the minors.

Gustavsson, who has already been traded twice in his NHL career, has a sense the writing is on the wall and that he’ll be dangled in the trade winds this offseason, especially after a season in which he admits he was way too inconsistent between the pipes.

“We’ll see. There is always a business side to hockey,” Gustavsson, 25, said Friday after cleaning out his locker and having separate exit meetings with coach John Hynes and president of hockey operations and general manager Bill Guerin. “I like it here and would love to be back next year and try to redeem what happened this year. We’ll see.”

Gustavsson, looking shellshocked after his exit meetings with Hynes, echoed many of his teammates and talked about the “empty” feeling he was experiencing after the team missed the playoffs for the second time in 12 years.

“We came into the season (thinking) that we wanted to get by the first round,” he said. “Now we didn’t even get the chance to try and do that.”

Gustavsson posted the second-best save percentage (.931) and goals-against average (2.10) in the NHL last season but sank to an .899 save percentage and 3.06 GAA this season. He said there were too many ups and downs — “some very good games, some very poor games.”

“Very frustrating because you can play so good sometimes and then you have bad performances,” he said. “It just tears on you instead of going on a steady pace the whole way.”

There’s little doubt that Hynes talked pointedly to Gustavsson about his fitness level because Gustavsson openly talked about needing to come into camp in “the best shape I can be” next season and also volunteered, “I have some personal things I need to sort out to be even better for my own sake going out and play goalie every night.”

Gustavsson alluded to this in Los Angeles last week, as well, saying that mentally he needs to be much stronger in the net so his game doesn’t disintegrate during tough moments.

“The brain is big thing in how people work,” Gustavsson said. “If the brain isn’t there, you don’t perform at your highest level. … If you’re winning, it’s very easy. You just feel happiness, (getting) two points all the time and life is good. When you lose a few or you play bad, you start questioning yourself. Or the team is playing bad and stuff like that, how to handle it in a better. More just control what you can control.”

Hynes discussed their exit meeting and what was said about Gustavsson’s fitness level and practice habits.

“He was very well thought out in his meeting, and he recognizes some things that need to improve,” Hynes said. “There’s a clear plan in place for him. We’ll stay connected on it this summer, whether it’s myself or (goalie coach) Freddy (Chabot), with him. Sometimes in a tougher year, you learn those lessons where maybe you could get away with certain things before. And then when you go into a situation where it doesn’t, I think sometimes it ignites someone to realize that there needs to be a certain improvement.

“He’s a very talented guy and I think the big thing a lot of players have to learn is that a lot of them are here because of talent, but then how do you take that talent and make it excellent or elite? A lot of times it’s all the things surrounding the game. It’s your mental toughness. It’s your mental mind state. It’s your fitness. It’s how you practice. And it’s how you prepare. Sometimes guys need to learn that they need to take it to another level to maximize their talent. And that’s encouraging to us that Gus is in that place.”

Injuries wrecked Jared Spurgeon’s 2023-24 season, and the Wild missed him. (Nick Wosika / Getty Images)
Spurgeon: ‘My foot would go completely numb’
Wild captain Jared Spurgeon on Friday gave an inside look at just what he was dealing with through a season that started with a preseason shoulder injury and ended with back and hip injuries that required a pair of surgeries.

“My foot would go completely numb during games and just wouldn’t come back for a couple hours,” Spurgeon said. “So, obviously, it’s tough when you’re out there just trying to skate and all that stuff; it got to the point where you’re toe-picking and stuff like that, and it’s very frustrating.

“You want to help the team, but you don’t feel like you’re helping them, either. That was something that once the surgery was done, it went away. My first skate back, there was none of that. It was an awesome feeling.”

Spurgeon said he began skating four weeks ago and is confident he’ll be ready to go for next season.

“Every day, stuff has been a thousand times better than it was before,” Spurgeon said. “I’m very happy about that. Every day is something new. You’re just trying to get your body back to the way it felt before you had that injury. I had the post-op appointments a couple days ago with one of the surgeons, and things went well. So, just progressing as need be.”

Besides helping on the ice, where he was sorely missed this season, Spurgeon is looking forward to having a voice in the locker room again. Even as captain, when you’re not in the battle, it’s hard to speak up during tough times.

“You’re more there to hear things out,” he said. “During the game, you can’t go in the dressing room and say what you’re seeing from up there. It’s a different feeling from above, as well, so it was more just trying to be there to bounce things off of each other and give them a sense of what I’m seeing, and my opinion, as well. It was definitely tough when you’re above and not really in those moments.”

Faber played injured for two months
After consultation with the Wild medical staff, rookie Brock Faber will skip the World Championship.

Why?

Guerin revealed Faber played with fractured ribs for two months and needs to rest.

“That’s the type of kid he is,” Guerin said. He never complained, never said boo. He could have been out of the lineup a number of times and he just wasn’t.”

Despite all that, the Calder Trophy contender scored eight goals and had 47 points this season.

Hynes, who will coach the U.S. team, said, “I’ll take him with one rib.”

World Championship steam
Several Wild players plan to participate in next month’s World Championships in Czechia, including Matt Boldy (United States), Mats Zuccarello (Norway), Joel Eriksson Ek (Sweden) and Marco Rossi (Austria).

“My plan is to play in the World Championship — if I make the team,” joked Zuccarello, a no-doubt shoo-in for Norway.

Boldy was on the U.S. team for worlds two years ago (along with Ryan Hartman), but it was a delayed two-game stint until they passed their COVID-19 tests. He’s planning to go this time around, no doubt at the urging of Guerin, who isn’t GM of the World Championship team but is GM of the 2025 4 Nations Face-Off and 2026 Olympic team.

If the talented winger wants to earn a spot on those teams, it would be a bad look not playing at worlds, especially with Hynes coaching and Guerin looking for players to play in two big tournaments the next few years.

“I’ve been to one, but a shortened one,” Boldy said. “So it’ll be kind of cool to experience that and go there and try to win.”

Hynes was honored to get the coaching nod.

“There’s a lot of NHL players going — a lot of pretty prominent NHL players that are going to go that have had success or not in the playoffs. That’s really important,” he said. “I think there are lots of players on the team who are looking to play in meaningful games and show what they can do and show guys like Billy and his Olympic management group that these guys are committed. It’s a sacrifice to go, but also they can play winning hockey. They can play their best when the stakes are the highest.

“Even as a coach, it gives you an opportunity to test yourself. You’re with different players, different coaches. You’re going to be in high-stakes games — all those things. You’re going to work with other general managers. In all my experiences, and I’m lucky enough to do a lot of them with USA Hockey, I’ve always become a better coach. You get different ideas. You get challenged in different ways. To me, we’re not in the playoffs this year, I want to play in meaningful games and coach in meaningful games and coach under pressure and try to get a team to win a championship, so I couldn’t be more excited and honored to go.”

Zuccarello and Rossi will also represent their countries later this summer in Olympic qualifiers.

If Norway wins its group against Denmark, Great Britain and Japan in Aalborg, it’ll get one spot in the 2026 Winter Games. If Austria wins its group against Slovakia, Kazakhstan and Hungary in Bratislav, it’ll get one spot.

Fans in Montreal may get another chance to say goodbye to Marc-Andre Fleury. (Vitor Munhoz / NHLI via Getty Images)
Fleury’s farewell tour
Fleury feels comfortable now that he doesn’t have to move his family, having signed a one-year, $2.5 million deal.

And he can put any retirement questions to rest considering he’s said that next season will be his last.

But this will also put the 39-year-old future Hall of Famer in an uncomfortable spot of being feted in a farewell tour next season. You think the Penguins fans were loud for him last season? Vegas?

“It’s not something I look forward to or that I need,” Fleury said, smiling. “I want to come back and try to win more games. I think at the end of the day, that’s all I care about. I’ve been very lucky to be doing this for a long time and have a lot of good memories in different buildings and places. But, yeah, I don’t know. I don’t need more attention. I’m good.”

In Montreal for the third game of the 2023-24 season, Fleury wasn’t sure if it would be his final game there. His mom, sister and many family members came just in case.

“Me and Moose (Marcus Foligno) were joking that we can’t wait to see him in Montreal again this coming year,” Spurgeon said. “He’s just a special teammate, special player, and to have him come back and to go back at it with him again is awesome.”

Odds and ends
• Guerin said he hopes to fill out his front office by the middle of next month. The Wild fired assistant GM Chris O’Hearn earlier this season, so we could see one or two assistant GMs. One possibility is Mat Sells, the Wild’s analytics expert who also has been negotiating contracts. Hynes said he anticipates the coaching staff returning, but there are meetings still to come on that front and some internal evaluation from Guerin before that’s set in stone.

• Nate Benoit, a Wild 2021 sixth-round pick, has transferred from North Dakota to Quinnipiac, the Grand Forks Herald’s Brad Schlossman reported. The defenseman has three more years of eligibility.
Post #: 499
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/20/2024 9:28:38 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He's not Canadian, its worse! He's a cheesehead born and raised...

That's right! I totally forgot about that. An even worse reason to "fake" that he's that good
Post #: 500
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 19 [20] 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season Page: <<   < prev  17 18 19 [20] 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode