Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season Page: <<   < prev  17 18 19 20 [21]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/21/2024 11:51:52 AM   
stfrank

How ironic, the Wild are out golfing right now and I'm watching Dumba in the playoffs. I guess things worked out ok for Dumba.
Post #: 501
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/24/2024 2:40:06 PM   
TJSweens

Goal Mouth Al Shaver passes away at 96. Greatest hockey play by play ever.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 502
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/24/2024 2:42:24 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

How ironic, the Wild are out golfing right now and I'm watching Dumba in the playoffs. I guess things worked out ok for Dumba.

Please don't imply Matt Dumba was the difference. He had 4 goals and was -18 this year.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 503
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/24/2024 7:48:18 PM   
stfrank

I will say after watching the BS that the NHL refs allow in the playoffs I am glad the Wild didn't make it. The interference and extra curricular shit that is now being called "playoff hockey" just cheapens the game.
Post #: 504
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/29/2024 9:48:39 AM   
Phil Riewer

Russo's Mailbag:

Do you think Riley Heidt will impress enough to take a roster spot?

Yes. The Wild are going to give Heidt, one of the WHL’s top scorers, every chance to make the big club out of camp. He has put together an impressive rise and two-way game, and it would not be a surprise to anyone in the organization if he shows he’s an NHLer.

The key, though, is that general manager Bill Guerin and the staff don’t want Heidt to be a fourth-liner in his first foray into pro hockey. If Heidt is here, he’ll get top-six or middle-six minutes and power-play opportunities. So if Heidt shows he’s ready in camp or in a nine-game NHL tryout to start the 2024-25 season, we could see him sticking. Keep in mind, however, that thrusting Heidt into a top-six role right off the bat is a lot to put on a 19-year-old who has yet to play pro hockey. That should be something the Wild consider, especially if they’re thinking of moving Marco Rossi.

You’ve seemed to walk back your level of belief that Guerin can still get Danila Yurov to come over this summer. Does Metallurg potentially winning the Gagarin Cup have any effect on the decision?

What are the fourth-line-upgrade options to add size, speed and durability? We downgraded with the loss of the Dewys.

There’s no doubt the Wild changed their identity by trading their fourth line — Pat Maroon, Connor Dewar and Brandon Duhaime — this season.

Mason Shaw, Lucchini and Lettieri won’t be the Wild’s fourth line next season. In fact, Lettieri will likely start in Iowa and there’s a chance Shaw and Lucchini aren’t back if they won’t take two-way contracts.

If the Wild acquire top-six help via trade or free agency, there’s a chance Liam Ohgren and Marat Khusnutdinov start next season on the fourth line with a third line that includes Foligno and Hartman. That alone will make them faster and a little bigger (in the case of Ohgren). If Ohgren is on the third line, the fourth line could be Marcus Johansson, Khusnutdinov and Freddy Gaudreau. At least there you have speed, though not a ton of grit.

Remember, the team is pretty locked. If you assume Ohgren and Khusnutdinov make the team, the Wild have 11 forwards penciled in. The 12th would be a top-six acquisition. The 13th would be Heidt. So what you see now is pretty much what you get next season barring a Marco Rossi trade.

Doesn’t sound that way. As of now, the Wild have tried to sign him to no avail and are expecting him to sign a one-year extension in the KHL and come over for 2025-26. We’ll see in the coming days if winning the championship Wednesday changed his mindset, but right now the Wild are expecting him a year from now. I did congratulate him in Russian for winning it all Wednesday, and he told me my Russian was outstanding. —Russo

I know they are young, and I know D is a harder position to crack into NHL, but should we start to worry that the Wild’s prized pool of D prospects will comprise a half-dozen NHL/AHL tweeners?

Yes. The Wild keep downplaying this, but guys like Lambos and O’Rourke don’t look close. Daemon Hunt, maybe. But that’s why the Declan Chisholm pickup was so valuable. He looks like a player and is NHL-ready.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 505
RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season - 4/29/2024 9:55:13 AM   
Phil Riewer

More:
What are the chances Marco Rossi gets traded?

Higher than you’d think. If the Wild could trade Rossi for the same level of high-end prospect, but one who’s bigger and faster, there’s a real chance they’d pull the trigger.

For instance, the Wild were interested in Cutter Gauthier before Philadelphia traded his rights to Anaheim. That is the type of trade they might consider for Rossi.

It doesn’t have to be a center, either, because they envision Danila Yurov playing center once he makes it to the NHL, and we’re starting to sense that they foresee Yurov and Joel Eriksson Ek as their top two centers and aren’t convinced Rossi should be third- or (obviously) fourth-liner. Also, the Wild plan to give Riley Heidt every chance to make the team in the fall. But if they are to keep him in Minnesota rather than returning him to the WHL, they’re going to want him getting top-six and power-play minutes.

The Wild’s top six right now is Kirill Kaprizov, Eriksson Ek and Matt Boldy on one line, and Rossi and Mats Zuccarello likely with a free agent or trade acquisition on the other. Something has to give there if Heidt’s going to be inserted.

What are the chances Marco Rossi gets traded?

Higher than you’d think. If the Wild could trade Rossi for the same level of high-end prospect, but one who’s bigger and faster, there’s a real chance they’d pull the trigger.

For instance, the Wild were interested in Cutter Gauthier before Philadelphia traded his rights to Anaheim. That is the type of trade they might consider for Rossi.

It doesn’t have to be a center, either, because they envision Danila Yurov playing center once he makes it to the NHL, and we’re starting to sense that they foresee Yurov and Joel Eriksson Ek as their top two centers and aren’t convinced Rossi should be third- or (obviously) fourth-liner. Also, the Wild plan to give Riley Heidt every chance to make the team in the fall. But if they are to keep him in Minnesota rather than returning him to the WHL, they’re going to want him getting top-six and power-play minutes.

The Wild’s top six right now is Kirill Kaprizov, Eriksson Ek and Matt Boldy on one line, and Rossi and Mats Zuccarello likely with a free agent or trade acquisition on the other. Something has to give there if Heidt’s going to be inserted.

You’ve said the Wild could be pursuing a top-six forward in free agency. Who are some options?

Well, it could be via trade, too, whether that’s trading Rossi or Gustavsson or even a prospect or draft pick.

If it is in free agency, we think they’d be interested in a right-shot forward on a one- or two-year deal. One that may make sense if he doesn’t re-sign with the Detroit Red Wings is veteran David Perron. Selfishly, we’d love Patrick Kane, although he’d probably want a good number AAV-wise and term-wise after his time with Detroit.

Guerin talked about building better depth. With one more year of cap hell, what depth players are out there in free agency or trade?

He’s talking about Iowa and potentially spending money on players on one-way contracts who could clear waivers in the fall but provide better call-up options when they run into injuries next season. So in other words, if you lose a power-play guy or a top-six player, perhaps coach John Hynes would have a handful of options who can provide more of an impact next season on the NHL roster. The Wild, to be blunt, were disappointed in most every call-up from Iowa this season. (More on that Thursday.)

You’ve reported Brock Faber could get $9 million a season? Any other possible extensions this summer?

The only one seems like Jake Middleton. You can bank on that one.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 506
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 19 20 [21]
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Wild 2023/2024 Season Page: <<   < prev  17 18 19 20 [21]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode