Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 10/26/2023 12:43:55 PM  1 votes
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: wrh

I certainly don't have inside information, but I consider it a credit to Finch and the Team Management/structure that both Naz and McDaniels accepted "reasonable" deals, likely less than they could have held out for or gotten on the market to stay here. Its a good sign!

I thought it was 95% certain Naz was leaving.

Have a Link?

Answer my questions.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 26
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 10/26/2023 12:48:43 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: wrh

I certainly don't have inside information, but I consider it a credit to Finch and the Team Management/structure that both Naz and McDaniels accepted "reasonable" deals, likely less than they could have held out for or gotten on the market to stay here. Its a good sign!

I thought it was 95% certain Naz was leaving.

There was certainly some speculation that he might get a fat contract somewhere else. But nowhere near 95% certain from anywhere I saw.
Post #: 27
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 10/26/2023 1:18:57 PM   
David Levine

This is looking like last year.

No ball movement. Getting beat to every loose ball.

Ant started out hot and then developed tunnel vision.

Too many plays trying to force Rudy the ball.

Nothing off the bench.
Post #: 28
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 10/26/2023 1:19:06 PM   
David Levine

We still don't run any kind of offense.

Conley and NAW parked in the corners while Ant and KAT trade off taking tough shots or forcing the ball to Rudy is not a scheme.
Post #: 29
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 10/26/2023 2:21:20 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Nothing off the bench.

They fell into that trap early last year. The Wolves tried to make Rudy into something that he isn't. There is no reason to run plays for Rudy.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 30
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 10/26/2023 5:31:27 PM   
Steve Lentz

Looked terrible. Hopefully it was an off night. We never win there anyway, but I have higher expectations this year.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 31
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 10/27/2023 9:13:10 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Nothing off the bench.

They fell into that trap early last year. The Wolves tried to make Rudy into something that he isn't. There is no reason to run plays for Rudy.

No knock on the Wolves, but we see that in sports. Get x involved or "we came out with the goal of running the ball". The Randy Ratio. But the brute force, full speed ahead methods don't work.
Post #: 32
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 10/29/2023 7:34:26 AM   
TJSweens

Naz Reid basically dragged the Wolves to victory last night.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 33
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 10/30/2023 5:22:41 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Overlooked a bit in the first two games because the offense was a bit ugly. But the defense kept them in both games. And without McDaniel. That is a very good sign. True, Toronto found a weakness in transition defense and exploited it. But even with that flaw they held the Raptors under 100 and only lost by 3 in a game which the offense was putrid.

So, get the offense straightened out by all means, but in the meantime the defense will keep them in games they have no business being in.
Post #: 34
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 10/30/2023 7:35:00 PM   
Karl Juhnke

79 points at halftime. I guess the offense fixed for two quarters anyway. They scorched Atlanta.
Post #: 35
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 10/30/2023 8:28:38 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

79 points at halftime. I guess the offense fixed for two quarters anyway. They scorched Atlanta.

Never mind.
Post #: 36
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 10/30/2023 8:33:40 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Overlooked a bit in the first two games because the offense was a bit ugly. But the defense kept them in both games. And without McDaniel. That is a very good sign. True, Toronto found a weakness in transition defense and exploited it. But even with that flaw they held the Raptors under 100 and only lost by 3 in a game which the offense was putrid.

So, get the offense straightened out by all means, but in the meantime the defense will keep them in games they have no business being in.

Helps that we played an awful offense in Toronto and the Heat without Butler.

We're getting exposed now.
Post #: 37
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 10/30/2023 9:17:37 PM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

Helps that we played an awful offense in Toronto and the Heat without Butler.

We're getting exposed now.

Yeah, they still look lost and poorly coached. Atlanta is not good, and Young has gotten off to a horrible start. Embarrassing 2nd half.

I still think the construction of this roster is really bad, and I won't get redundant on Gobert.

Towns has to shoot 3's.

I know NAW seems to be a fan favorite, but his defense is overrated and I'm not seeing him as anything special at all.

Conley has had a fantastic career, but he's 36 and so far past his prime. A really good Timberwolves PG would help a great deal.

< Message edited by JT2 -- 10/30/2023 9:21:42 PM >
Post #: 38
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 11/1/2023 11:54:00 PM   
JT2

This one should be a good confidence builder. Beat the champs handily, with a true team effort. We kept Jokic off the stripe. Clogged the passing lanes.

Sometimes we look so bad. Sometimes we show promise. Good win.

And to contradict my previous post, Conley was fantastic.
Post #: 39
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 11/2/2023 2:53:13 AM   
Matt Lang

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

Apparently he was sick with food poisoning last game
Post #: 40
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 11/2/2023 8:08:29 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matt Lang
quote:

Apparently he was sick with food poisoning last game

Murray was shudown...big key.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 41
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 11/2/2023 8:14:45 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

This one should be a good confidence builder. Beat the champs handily, with a true team effort. We kept Jokic off the stripe. Clogged the passing lanes.

Conley can be good for this team in a limited way. He adds veteran leadership. Physically I think he can be as good as ever with limited minutes. Only problem is, ideally you would then need another viable point guard option to share those minutes. The wolves don’t have that. So Conley will be forced to carry more of the load than he should at this stage of his career.
Post #: 42
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 11/2/2023 10:28:46 AM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

Conley can be good for this team in a limited way. He adds veteran leadership. Physically I think he can be as good as ever with limited minutes. Only problem is, ideally you would then need another viable point guard option to share those minutes. The wolves don’t have that. So Conley will be forced to carry more of the load than he should at this stage of his career.

I agree with all.

Back in the Utah days, and he was a couple years younger, he rarely played back to backs. Both Conley and Gobert will need their minutes monitored as the season progresses.
Post #: 43
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 11/3/2023 1:33:18 PM   
Karl Juhnke

I just read an explanation of the in-season tournament. It makes more sense to me now…not that I think it’s good or bad. Time will decide that.

Here’s a summary. Saves you the trouble if you don’t know. Just skip it if you do:

There are two stages. Group play and knockout round. Each conference is divided into 3 groups of 5. In group play they will each play each other once. Each team gets two home and two away.

The winner of each group along with one wild card from each conference will advance to the knockout rounds. The semi finals and championship are played in Las Vegas.

The games count as part of the 82 game season for stats and standings. Except the championship which stands alone as an 83rd game. Teams not making the knockout round will get two additional games added to their schedule (though the article didn’t say how or when). Presumably losers in the first round of elimination will get one game added.

The winner will be awarded an NBA Cup. The tournament has no bearing on post season, other than how the games affect the standings.

So that’s it you may ask? Why should players care? That was my main question. The answer is money. There is a sizable prize pool. From $50,000 each to players on teams eliminated in quarterfinals, up to $500,000 each for winning the championship. Coaches earn the same amounts too. That’s pretty good money especially for players on minimum contracts.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 11/3/2023 1:34:43 PM >
Post #: 44
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 11/3/2023 9:11:32 PM   
JT2

quote:

I just read an explanation of the in-season tournament. It makes more sense to me now…not that I think it’s good or bad. Time will decide that.

Here’s a summary. Saves you the trouble if you don’t know. Just skip it if you do:

There are two stages. Group play and knockout round. Each conference is divided into 3 groups of 5. In group play they will each play each other once. Each team gets two home and two away.

The winner of each group along with one wild card from each conference will advance to the knockout rounds. The semi finals and championship are played in Las Vegas.

The games count as part of the 82 game season for stats and standings. Except the championship which stands alone as an 83rd game. Teams not making the knockout round will get two additional games added to their schedule (though the article didn’t say how or when). Presumably losers in the first round of elimination will get one game added.

The winner will be awarded an NBA Cup. The tournament has no bearing on post season, other than how the games affect the standings.

So that’s it you may ask? Why should players care? That was my main question. The answer is money. There is a sizable prize pool. From $50,000 each to players on teams eliminated in quarterfinals, up to $500,000 each for winning the championship. Coaches earn the same amounts too. That’s pretty good money especially for players on minimum contracts.

Hopefully, if they continue with this, they will tweak some things. I wouldn't at all be opposed to the winner of the in-season tournament getting the #2 to #5 pick in the draft.

I'm still not clear what the NBA's motivation was to do this, but I guess we will probably see fewer players sitting out for rest/recovery/conditioning/illness.
Post #: 45
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 11/5/2023 8:22:13 AM  1 votes
Bill Jandro

Hopefully the Wolves have turned the corner. Kind of doubt it though.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 46
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 11/6/2023 7:49:54 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

Hopefully, if they continue with this, they will tweak some things. I wouldn't at all be opposed to the winner of the in-season tournament getting the #2 to #5 pick in the draft.

I'm still not clear what the NBA's motivation was to do this, but I guess we will probably see fewer players sitting out for rest/recovery/conditioning/illness.

The NBA is always blabbing about its global appeal and identity, and now they can boast of having a "tournament", a "knockout round", and a "Cup".
Post #: 47
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 11/6/2023 8:47:28 AM   
Phil Riewer

#1 Defense vs the #1 Offense tonight...

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 48
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 11/6/2023 4:13:04 PM   
David Levine

NBA.com Power Rankings:

#7 MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES
Last Week:16↑
Record: 3-2

OffRtg: 110.8 (14) DefRtg: 101.2 (1) NetRtg: +9.5 (5) Pace: 98.5 (26)

The Wolves had two 19-point leads at halftime last week. The first (in Atlanta on Monday) turned into a rest-advantage loss in which they scored just 27 points on their final 44 possessions. The second was a wire-to-wire victory over the Nuggets, the champs’ only defeat of the season.

Three takeaways

• The Wolves have held their opponent under a point per possession in four of their five games, having done so in just seven of 82 last season.

• Jaden McDaniels made his season debut on Monday and the Wolves’ reunited starting lineup has scored 106 points on 83 offensive possessions (128 per 100), compared to just 55 on 59 (93 per 100) for the lineup with Nickeil Alexander-Walker in McDaniels’ place.

• Anthony Edwards has an effective field goal percentage of 67.9% over the last three games, his most effective three-game stretch of shooting (minimum 50 total attempts) since Jan. of 2022.

The minutes with Karl-Anthony Towns and Rudy Gobert on the floor together were much better (especially offensively) in Week 2 (plus-25.5 per 100 possessions) than they were in Week 1 (minus-18.0).

The Wolves have the league’s No. 1 defense even though two of the five teams they’ve played — Atlanta and Denver — rank in the top six offensively. That No. 1 defense will take on the No. 1 offense when the Celtics visit the Target Center on Monday. That’s the start of a stretch where the Wolves are playing four of five against teams that enter Week 3 with winning records.

Week 3: vs. BOS, vs. NOP, @ SAS*, @ GSW

www.nba.com/news/power-rankings-2023-24-week-3
Post #: 49
RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season - 11/6/2023 8:12:08 PM   
Karl Juhnke

First half observations…which I know is dangerous because the real game is the second half.

McDaniels is having a rough night. If ever there was a guy feeling the pressure of a fat new contract, tonight would be it. Nothing is coming naturally. Everything is forced. It’s a common occurrence. Guy gets a big contract and thinks he needs to reinvent himself. No. Just be the player you were.

Naz needs more minutes. While I’ve always been a fan of Naz I’ve never joined the cult hero crowd. This isn’t about that. But he has become a very solid player who does nothing but produce. So whose minutes should be cut into? That’s the big question. The answer is, everyone. Different person each night. Sometimes a player is off. Sometimes matchups aren’t working. Tonight, it’s McDaniels, surprisingly since you’d think he’s just what we need vs high powered Celtics. But throw preconceived logic out and play what’s working. With this philosophy you could easily carve out 6 more minutes a night for Naz.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 11/6/2023 8:14:11 PM >
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Timberwolves 2023 - 2024 Season Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode